Quantcast

M2M LA New Castmember: Lia Dias

shampoona

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,062 943 79
Alleybux
The quarantine has got me watching that heffa Heavenly's interviews with the other Married to Medicine girls and Britten shouted out Lia's business so I looked up Lia's beauty supply store called The Girl Cave and found this clip from that Mind Your Business show on OWN.

https://girlcavela.com

shampoona

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,062 943 79
Alleybux
Black-owned beauty supply The Girl Cave LA flourishes

girl-cave_t580.jpg

lia--diaz_t180.jpg
Lia Dias, ultimate #browngirlboss and serial entrepreneur, is all about empowering women and influencing the current scope of the beauty industry. This Inglewood native is the proud owner of The Girl Cave Los Angeles, a beauty bar, boutique and showroom, which opened July of 2016. She is also the owner of a juice bar, a real estate mogul, and former model. Her newest venture entails expanding The Girl Cave Los Angeles brand with the opening of The Girl Cave LA, beauty supply at 1855 Manchester Blvd. (one block west of Western Ave). The new location opened in April to a resounding success. Dias’ brand is not just about beauty but about empowering women and girls to follow their dreams.

What influenced you to open a Black-owned beauty supply?

I had become increasingly frustrated with the treatment I received while in Asian-owned beauty supplies. I saw an opportunity to provide products while providing a high level of service and wanted to take a shot at making it work.

What difficulties (if any) have you run into? Do you find yourself in any way blocked by the dominant Asian community? Is it difficult to stay price competitive?

The hardest thing I encountered starting the business was the distributors unwillingness to extend me credit. I was forced to have the capital upfront whereas other beauty supplies are afforded a 30-day accounts payable which allows them to purchase more upfront and gives them time to repay their account. I have been fortunate because the community has supported the business in a way that has allowed us to add to our product variety on a weekly basis.

What differentiates you from other similar businesses?

I think the most important difference is the experience that I insist my customers receive. We don’t follow anyone around the store with a cloud of suspicion. Additionally, our team loves to try new products so we can have feedback for customers when they inquire about a certain product and it’s effectiveness.

What is your commitment to the Black community?

I am committed to employing Black women as well as carrying Black-owned hair and skin care products. Additionally, with the growth of the business I have expanded my philanthropy. We have a social media campaign called “Do Good Thursday.” Every week my team and I select a person, group, or organization to give back to, based upon email submissions. We have been able to help local non profits, sports teams and families that need it most.

What advice do you have for others who want to open beauty supplies?

I advise anyone who wants to open a beauty supply to do your homework. Establish relationships with multiple vendors so you don’t get “locked out” of the market. Last and most importantly, be bold and don’t allow vendors or the competition intimidate you.

How has your life changed since breaking into this business?

Life has absolutely picked up in pace. It is a rewarding workload as there is a pride that I take in watching the business and my employees grow.

Anything else you would like the community to know?

That we appreciate their support thus far and we are open everyday from 8:30 a.m. until 8:30 p.m. The Girl Cave LA also takes online orders at www.girlcavela.com and can be followed on social media @girlcavela

Black-owned beauty supply The Girl Cave LA flourishes

--------------------

My cousin and I were just talking about how black women are treated when they go to the Asian-owned beauty supply stores. My cousin happens to have a friend who goes over to China to get her product for her business and even there she's sometimes mistreated, spat at, etc. so I'm glad to see a black woman in business for herself.

Has anyone been to her store?

Last edited:

peekaboo29

Came for the tea, stayed for the shade.
Reaction score
Reactions
317,138 10,843 2,725
Alleybux
She was kind of annoying and camera thirsty in her introduction. Is she going to be a cast member or is she just going to be a friend of Imani’s?

shampoona

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,062 943 79
Alleybux
She was kind of annoying and camera thirsty in her introduction. Is she going to be a cast member or is she just going to be a friend of Imani’s?
She's a full cast member. From what I'm getting so far she and Jazmin/Shanique clash during the season.

Collected

Imma be honest.....I'm not a fan..
Reaction score
Reactions
143,572 3,786 1,245
Alleybux
Her online prices are hella marked up almost $3-5 more than most other stores (I'm not not even comparing the big box stores like target).

It's cool she own a brick and mortar store. I see she has her hustle on with local deliveries.

shampoona

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,062 943 79
Alleybux
okay thanks! I guess we'll see about her, then.
We'll definitely be seeing her. She was interviewed by Heavenly yesterday and basically had an uphill battle during the season against the doctors' wives due to her friendship with Imani. Imani joined the Zoom chat and later Jazmin jumped in on the defensive, loud and wrong.

If that interview was any indicator this season is gonna be a lot more exciting than S1. Love or hate Heavenly but she's definitely been using her platform to promote the LA version and put the girls on game.

Last edited:

peekaboo29

Reaction score
Reactions
317,138 10,843 2,725
Alleybux
We'll definitely be seeing her. She was interviewed by Heavenly yesterday and basically had an uphill battle during the season against the doctors' wives due to her friendship with Imani. Imani joined the Zoom chat and later Jazmin jumped in on the defensive, loud and wrong.

If that interview was any indicator this season is gonna be a lot more exciting than S1. Love or hate Heavenly but she's definitely been using her platform to promote the LA version and put the girls on game.

Thanks for the video!

I’m trying to reserve judgment on her but that way she was so loud and defensive in the conversation between Imani and Jasmine when she wasn’t even there for it last year has me sifting her. She’s coming in real camera thirsty and trying too hard.

GoodReader

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,235 77 10
Alleybux
I found her IG and she's married to a doctor named Colin. They have 2 kids together and she has a daughter from a previous relationship.

JuneBug29

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,153 1,465 277
Alleybux
Was she the one that was Imani’s friend? I barely remember her, but then again I had the show on in the background while working lol.

shampoona

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,062 943 79
Alleybux
Some cliffs about Lia from the Heavenly interview:
  • Lives in Beverly Hills. From Inglewood.
  • She was named after her mom's Ethiopian friend who spelled her name Lia (versus Leah)
  • Went to Cal State LA and graduated from Vanguard University with a degree in Social Work. Was a social worker for seven years.
  • Her grandfather was a businessman and her mother a registered nurse with a side business, certified in CPR, work for YMCA.
  • Her husband Colin is Indian and Egyptian, Howard University College of Medicine grad, double board certified in adult and child & adolescent psychiatry.
  • How she got on the show: Colin and Imani work together. Imani's the medical director at the hospital in the adult unit and Colin is the child unit medical director.
  • Some people think she look like Nene. She said she looks like Season 1 and 2 Nene :disdain
  • About the show: She didn't get along with the doctors' wives. She feels like there was disrespect because she's Imani's friend. Shanique and Jazmin have their own sorority where the rules apply to everyone else but them. (Britten practically said the same thing in her interview with Heavenly about Jazmin having these expectations of others that she doesn't uphold herself.)
  • Gets along the best with Imani and Kendra.
  • Thinks Britten is the peacemaker, genuinely cares about the group dynamic but has "checked" just about everybody. Contrary to Jazmin's opinion that B is a fence sitter, Lia thinks B expresses her opinion in a diplomatic way.
  • Says Jazmin has a "pretty girl" complex and lives in her own world/different reality, like Candy land. She doesn't have an opinion unless it's Shanique's opinion.
Imani joins around the 1 hour 4 minute mark and talks about how she had to tape at-home confessionals for the show that lasted several hours. It's less about Lia and more about the show, working women, answering Heavenly/the viewers' questions about Quad, Toya, Jazmin, her husband, etc. And the messiness really begins...:laugh2

Last edited:

cheesecake00

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,039 617 185
Alleybux
Some cliffs about Lia from the Heavenly interview:
  • Lives in Beverly Hills. From Inglewood.
  • She was named after her mom's Ethiopian friend who spelled her name Lia (versus Leah)
  • Went to Cal State LA and graduated from Vanguard University with a degree in Social Work. Was a social worker for seven years.
  • Her grandfather was a businessman and her mother a registered nurse with a side business, certified in CPR, work for YMCA.
  • Her husband Colin is Indian and Egyptian, Howard University College of Medicine grad, double board certified in adult and child & adolescent psychiatry.
  • How she got on the show: Colin and Imani work together. Imani's the medical director at the hospital in the adult unit and Colin is the child unit medical director.
  • Some people think she look like Nene. She said she looks like Season 1 and 2 Nene :disdain
  • About the show: She didn't get along with the doctors' wives. She feels like there was disrespect because she's Imani's friend. Shanique and Jazmin have their own sorority where the rules apply to everyone else but them. (Britten practically said the same thing in her interview with Heavenly about Jazmin having these expectations of others that she doesn't uphold herself.)
  • Gets along the best with Imani and Kendra.
  • Thinks Britten is the peacemaker, genuinely cares about the group dynamic but has "checked" just about everybody. Contrary to Jazmin's opinion that B is a fence sitter, Lia thinks B expresses her opinion in a diplomatic way.
  • Says Jazmin has a "pretty girl" complex and lives in her own world/different reality, like Candy land. She doesn't have an opinion unless it's Shanique's opinion.
Imani joins around the 1 hour 4 minute mark and talks about how she had to tape at-home confessionals for the show that lasted several hours. It's less about Lia and more about the show, working women, answering Heavenly/the viewers' questions about Quad, Toya, Jazmin, her husband, etc. And the messiness really begins...:laugh2

Thanks for the recap

Bokeem Dietl

No. 81- Habitual Line Stepper (Ret.)
Reaction score
Reactions
283,269 7,518 6,202
Alleybux
Her online prices are hella marked up almost $3-5 more than most other stores (I'm not not even comparing the big box stores like target).

It's cool she own a brick and mortar store. I see she has her hustle on with local deliveries.

Black beauty supply owners are boxed out of the lower wholesale prices that others get, especially Asians. I will gladly pay the higher price to support my own.

Bokeem Dietl

Reaction score
Reactions
283,269 7,518 6,202
Alleybux

I liked her better on this past Sunday’s episode. I can’t wait to see more of her. They should’ve introduced her prior to the last episode.

peekaboo29

Reaction score
Reactions
317,138 10,843 2,725
Alleybux
I liked her better on this past Sunday’s episode. I can’t wait to see more of her. They should’ve introduced her prior to the last episode.
Yeah I liked her Better because she got the demand started!! . :joy: :joy:

But she’s still coming off as VERY thirsty to get in the mix and she’s not even coming around as a full cast member she’s still just Imani’s friend. I didn’t see none of the rest of the guests

Collected

Imma be honest.....I'm not a fan..
Reaction score
Reactions
143,572 3,786 1,245
Alleybux
Black beauty supply owners are boxed out of the lower wholesale prices that others get, especially Asians. I will gladly pay the higher price to support my own.
Levels to this but Imma just say.....There are other black owned beauty supplies ESPECIALLY in LA.

I actually went to this one in inglewood and the owner also has online retail. Prices are comparable to big box and larger inventory.

Adaora Beauty - Lace Wigs, Virgin Human Hair, Braids, Crochets, Makeup, Skin Care, Hair Care

Bokeem Dietl

Reaction score
Reactions
283,269 7,518 6,202
Alleybux

shampoona

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,062 943 79
Alleybux
Another interview, this time with Dineva.

Haven't watched all the way through yet but she said we likely won't see her husband this season due to contractual issues. He was already filming a documentary with PBS while M2M was going on. I wonder why if that might be why she and Jazmin shared the final title card, and the way production has introduced Lia in general has been really poor.

Last edited:

cheesecake00

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,039 617 185
Alleybux
Another interview, this time with Dineva.

Haven't watched all the way through yet but she said we likely won't see her husband this season due to contractual issues. He was already filming a documentary with PBS while M2M was going on. I wonder why if that might be why she and Jazmin shared the final title card, and the way production has introduced Lia in general has been really poor.

I read on ig that she and her husband were having marital issues while they were filming in October & November last year that is why he does not appear

shampoona

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,062 943 79
Alleybux

Interview with several of the reality ladies. Lia's featured mostly around the 7, 12 and 37 minute marks.

Lia's swoop bang definitely does her favors because of her prominent forehead. Like her blazer and the Purple Rain tee. Her husband had Covid early on in the pandemic but he got through it.

• Being on the show was more than she expected with the time commitment (ex. them setting up to shoot and having ten people in her home) so it's not something she'd want to commit to fulltime (I don't think that will be an issue now since it doesn't seem like LA is returning.) Wishes we got to see more of her family.
  • She now has seven beauty supply stores including a location in Dallas and one opening in Atlanta where she's partnering with Heavenly (love or leave Heav, she's about her business too) and plans to open a couple more this year.
  • She wasn't surprised at Tessica Brown's Gorilla Glue situation because they get hair horror stores all the time.
  • Claudia mentioned that Lia was the CEO of Hype Hair magazine :sidefrown which I didn't know was still around...I used to skim it over in the magazine stands at the store when i was younger. HH used to be run by a Black family that eventually sold it to a white owner who wasn't committed and now that Lia's purchased it she plans to revamp it and produce new content.

Last edited:

cheesecake00

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,039 617 185
Alleybux
Initially Heavenly revealed she partnered with Liab to open a beauty supply store in Atlanta but lately H gives the impression she solely owns the business.