Quantcast

Makeup Products you regret buying

Esdeath

氷の女王
Reaction score
Reactions
169,059 2,646 762
Alleybux
A lot of the 'nude' lipsticks I own. I love a dark bold lippie, so I rarely ever wear nude, plus I still haven't found the 'perfect nude for my skin tone.

Ben nye topaz powder - it's SOOO orange lord have mercy. Ben nye banana is a little too light, but it's much better than that tangerine ass topaz. I think my favourite setting powders would be either Sacha buttercup powder, which is kind of hard to find nowadays or Nars setting powder.

Some cheap mascara that I got, because I couldn't't find my regular one.
Hourglass has the best setting powder. It’s a little on the pricier side but you need the smallest amount and the finish is beautiful.

hereforhair

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,091 104 26
Alleybux
Do you recommend another setting spray? I used to use MAC Fix+ then I switched to UD All Nighter. But I feel like I need something better.
Smashbox Setting Spray is amazing. Makes your makeup transfer/ mask resistant. It never fails me. I like it better than Charlotte Tilbury’s too

LaurelHell

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,961 2,102 1,418
Alleybux
I have a laundry list, so I will list as many as I can remember. Here we go:
Urban Decay Naked, Naked 2, Naked 3, Smoked or Naked Smoke, hell just Urban Decay everything.
Juvia's Palace eyeshadow palette: I have half the collection.
Tarte eyeshadow palette: Tartlette, Tartelette in Bloom, some other one, Amazonian palette
Karity eyeshadows palette (just three of them, can't remember the names)
Countless of MAC foundations, eyeshadows and random items
Buxom bronzers
Guerlain bronzer in Ebony (I think that is the shade name, I can't remember)
Violet Voss eyeshadow palette (I can't remember the name)
A couple of Smashbox makeup palette.

Most of the regrets are because I am allergic to an ingredient(s) that is present in most brands so I cannot wear it. The other ones are because the colors of the shadows are too chalky for my taste or pulls gray. Which is weird because technically I am a neutral but I cannot stand gray looking shadows, even pewter.
Girl I feel like we live the same life:

The Naked Palettes (OG 3 were medicore, ashy, expensive and uninnovative

The Juvia's Place eyeshadows used to be stellar, and idk if it's because Ulta aqquired them, or simply if the brand is more focused on pushing product, but the mini Chocolate Palette was ass

The Tartlerre in Bloom for me worked on a specific base, otherwise the palette will appear ashy...weird ass formula

The karity palettes were lovely, but nothing special, and the majority of shades are skewed towards a lighter skintone, I found this to be the case with all the palettes i owned from them.

Harriet_Thugman

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,536 1,743 286
Alleybux
Girl I feel like we live the same life:

The Naked Palettes (OG 3 were medicore, ashy, expensive and uninnovative

The Juvia's Place eyeshadows used to be stellar, and idk if it's because Ulta aqquired them, or simply if the brand is more focused on pushing product, but the mini Chocolate Palette was ass

The Tartlerre in Bloom for me worked on a specific base, otherwise the palette will appear ashy...weird ass formula

The karity palettes were lovely, but nothing special, and the majority of shades are skewed towards a lighter skintone, I found this to be the case with all the palettes i owned from them.

I forgot to mention that I have a sizeable Too Faced collection that is collecting dust. Again it irritates the hell out of my eyes. So much money wasted, I am sick of me.

Kim K K W

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,728 4,250 7,640
Alleybux
Fenty everything minus 2 products. OMG I wanted to love it so badly because I loveeeee Rihanna that’s why I kept buying more and more thinking ok well this foundation sucked maybe the eyeshadow will be nice. Oh the eyeshadow sucks maybe the lipstick will be nice. NOPE The quality is crap. It wasn’t just me though a few of my friends and cousins tried and agreed.

I consider fenty a starter makeup brand for girls who don’t know how to do makeup and by having a wide range of shades targeting to black women girls she took over the market and was smart. She’s brilliant but those girls don’t realize there is better out there. They just want to look like R and that’s not happening

Damn it in such a fan and hate talking negatively about her but I can’t lie that her makeup is so terrible like I said she has 1 amazing product and 1 good product and the rest belong at a dump like Marshall’s or tjnax.

Kim K K W

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,728 4,250 7,640
Alleybux
Anastasia of Beverly Hills Dipbrow, idk if I got a bad one or what, but it was so dry and the color was really odd. Also I tried the Glamiara brow pen (supposed to give a microblade effect) and it was awful, literally just like using a fine tipped marker from elementary school on your eyebrows. But I bought it off a FB ad so I deserved what I got with that one lol.
Oh that sucks it didn’t work for you. The dipbrow is literally my HG Of eyebrow products. Speaking of brows I hated the Benefit brows kit!!! Terrible no pigment.

Justa

Facsimile of God | Megan Thee Samaritan
Reaction score
Reactions
285,318 4,977 407
Alleybux
Fenty everything minus 2 products. OMG I wanted to love it so badly because I loveeeee Rihanna that’s why I kept buying more and more thinking ok well this foundation sucked maybe the eyeshadow will be nice. Oh the eyeshadow sucks maybe the lipstick will be nice. NOPE The quality is crap. It wasn’t just me though a few of my friends and cousins tried and agreed.

I consider fenty a starter makeup brand for girls who don’t know how to do makeup and by having a wide range of shades targeting to black women girls she took over the market and was smart. She’s brilliant but those girls don’t realize there is better out there. They just want to look like R and that’s not happening

Damn it in such a fan and hate talking negatively about her but I can’t lie that her makeup is so terrible like I said she has 1 amazing product and 1 good product and the rest belong at a dump like Marshall’s or tjnax.
i see fenty skin as a starter brand too for teens and up. i think fenty beauty as a starter brand for makeup for those around college age is also good.

only issue is the cost!

Scorpio Jawn

Toucher of grass.
Reaction score
Reactions
174,228 8,837 1,514
Alleybux
Anastasia of Beverly Hills Dipbrow, idk if I got a bad one or what, but it was so dry and the color was really odd. Also I tried the Glamiara brow pen (supposed to give a microblade effect) and it was awful, literally just like using a fine tipped marker from elementary school on your eyebrows. But I bought it off a FB ad so I deserved what I got with that one lol.
I thought this was just me. Everybody raves about this product and it wasn't giving. I switched over to Kat Von D's 24 hour long wear pomade and haven't looked back since.

CatchThesehandsHOE

Material Girl...lol not really
Reaction score
Reactions
22,819 551 268
Alleybux
The dipbrow/pomade products are quite difficult to use, expecially if you want your browhairs to look "defined" I found that a lot of the brow pomades that I've tried have dried out with the exception of ABH and I felt that you can have defined brows with a regular brow pencil/ eyeshadow tbh
Yep I hate dipbrow for that reason so i use gel eyeliner in the jar in the color dark brown. Doesnt dry out as fast and the application is easier

CuuntyAunty

I can’t teach you my magic…
Reaction score
Reactions
101,573 5,082 2,954
Alleybux
I wanted to create a thread dedicated to purchase regrets/ products that aren't worth the hype/money. Here are some of mine:

Fenty cream blush: I don't have any issues with the formula, but I found that I gravitated towards other blushes (milani creme cheek blush), nyx sweet cheeks

ABH Modern Renassaince: the formula is too powdery and I found that the majority of the shades were opaque and ashy. When I tried to build up the shadow in certain spots, the shadow would seal....I decluttered it after 4 months

Tarte Shape Tape: that dry ass formula isn't meant for the undereyes. No matter how little I went in, not only did the fragrance make my eyes itch, I found that the concealer creased horribly and seperated.

Too Faced Better Than xes Mascara: The mascara lengthened my lashes and actually made them look full and volumous which is no easy feat, however this b!tch flakes more than scalp dandruff and the flakiness and how difficult it is to remove from the lashes ain't worth the effects.

What products have you found to underwhelm/ underpreform?
I bought a box of better than xes mascara on Etsy and gave them out as stocking stuffers. I hate how it won’t come off after one wash like the club stamp. My go to mascara is bad girl bang.

CatchThesehandsHOE

Reaction score
Reactions
22,819 551 268
Alleybux
That fµck!ng elf beauty sponge sucks up all the foundation. Makes your best foundation look a mess. Makes full coverage looks like medium and medium look sheer.

Milani concealer so drying that b!tch can only be applied under one eye at a time

Elf triangular buffing brush. Broke off. Cheap.

Milani dipbrow. A dry ass mess. The eyebrow brush that comes with it is nice tho.

CatchThesehandsHOE

Reaction score
Reactions
22,819 551 268
Alleybux
Juvias Place foundation and concealer. The worst.
That concealer had a green undertone not neutral, green ..yuck. I can make the foundation work in the summer because my undertone pulls red. But yeah, complete understand why these products are here. Plus they transfer like a b!tch

SynthBae

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
7,494 292 77
Alleybux
Glossier’s skin tint!!
I bought the darkest shade and it was grey & ashy af !
I was lookin casket ready all summer 2017 :cry

Sereneone

Independents on Here are MAGA. Don't Be Fooled!
Reaction score
Reactions
140,289 4,129 2,787
Alleybux
Glossier’s skin tint!!
I bought the darkest shade and it was grey & ashy af !
I was lookin casket ready all summer 2017 :cry

I am not a fan of Gloosier's products either. They are really overrated. I don't have the foundation but bought the cloud paints. The cloud paints look pigmented at first but when blended onto the cheeks the color seems to disappear. The concealer is awful. Forget about putting it under the eyes. It's like putting grease on the eyelids... which accentuates every flaw you may have. Very disappointing.

brioche

gilded
Reaction score
Reactions
105,423 3,073 1,515
Alleybux
I feel you. I always used to buy single shades (since the late 90’s) and then palettes became popular and I bought a few. But so often half of the shades are chalky, gray, and just don’t work. I’m going to look for that Slow/Fast/Slow.

Ooh, and can I tell you I just recently bought Sand Tropez from MAC. It‘s a Foiled Shadow. You can use it as a shadow, a highlighter, or a blush. It is absolutely gorgeous and reminds me a lot of I Like 2 Watch in the way that you can use it subtly or let it pack some punch. It’s a beautiful shade.

Happy Beautifying!!

Thank you for that recommendation. I'll definitely look into it!

Head Pirate

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
664 26 3
Alleybux
I bought the beauty bakery mini lip whips from Target. I’m hoping to return them because they look nothing like the swatches on their ig.

May Flowers

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
312,518 9,448 972
Alleybux
That Fenty eyebrow pencil. My usual eyebrow pencil finished back in December and wasn't in stock at sephora, so I decided to try the fenty. Compared to my usual, I found it hard to use, the pencil was really faint and I had to apply a lot of pressure to get the colour to show up dark enough. That part wasn't bad though because I can work with that. But then it had the nerve to finish a month after buying it. My usual eyebrow pencil lasts me around 3 or 4 months with almost everyday wear. 1 month of use and then it died? Never again. I went back to old faithful after that.

MsSunshine21

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
90,087 1,851 24
Alleybux
Sacha Buttercup powder was a total disappointment and waste of money. Thank goodness for Laura Mercier and Pat McGrath loose powder and undereye blurring powders. I like the look of the Danessa Myricks powders
too.

CherriGarcia

FKA RumTresLeche
Reaction score
Reactions
229,185 37,351 12,061
Alleybux
Sacha Buttercup powder was a total disappointment and waste of money. Thank goodness for Laura Mercier and Pat McGrath loose powder and undereye blurring powders. I like the look of the Danessa Myricks powders
too.
I hate this powder the yellow in it makes bw look crazy

CherriGarcia

FKA RumTresLeche
Reaction score
Reactions
229,185 37,351 12,061
Alleybux
Sacha buttercup is too yellow and unflattering

Nyx butter glosses have no color pay off

Stila eyeliner dries too quickly

Eyelure lashes are stiff and ugly

Nars soft matte foundation oxidizes four shades darker

Abh setting powders are patchy and cakey under the eye

Juvia's foundation an concealer are terrible and cakey

Fenty foundation the matte one is too drying

AfroFire

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,096 1,005 381
Alleybux

The Fenty foundation broke me out after using it a couple of times. I had to sell it waste of my money

makeupgeek

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
543 19 3
Alleybux
Too Faced Peach Palette I just didn't use it that much, Urban Decay Smokey palette it didn't give what it was supposed to give for me.

Forky

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
559 51 142
Alleybux
Fenty foundation and most products from e.l.f, the quality has really gone downhill since i last used them

Blue Lotus

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,875 672 256
Alleybux
Huda beauty's coral obsessions palette was so bad that I never touched anything her brand put out until they released those mini nude palettes years later. The palette was just so dusty and non pigmented and the shimmers were trash. The topaz palette is nice tho

Rimmel London stay matte foundation and concealer its like putting nothing on

Estee lauder double wear foundation it feels heavy on my face

Bh cosmetics meet me in Tokyo palette its just a mess

Nabla cosmetics all of those mini palettes the coral the berry and the metropolitan ugh horrible formula. All those utubers got paid to lie about the quality

Becca ultimate coverage foundation its just too damn heavy on the face