Quantcast

Ma'Khia Bryant case shines light on 'adultification' of Black girls

Felici21

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,947 1,086 27
Alleybux
Ma'Khia Bryant, 16, was shot and killed by police.
ByKiara Alfonseca
May 14, 2021, 1:20 PM
• 9 min read

black-girls-adultification-makia-bryant-01-gty-llr-210430_1619817987747_hpMain_16x9_384.jpg

1:57
Death of Ma’Khia Bryant sparks calls for examination of police using lethal force
The police union is standing by the officer invo...Read More
Stephen Zenner/AFP via Getty Images
Ma'Khia Bryant was 16 when she was shot and killed by police outside of her foster home in Columbus, Ohio. Since her death, the Bryant family lawyer, Michelle Martin, said she has had to combat negative portrayals of the teenager, who has been described by her family as "sweet" and "loving."

"Everyone wants to see her as an aggressor before we can even see her as a child," Martin said in an interview with ABC News. She said she wished people would give Ma'Khia the benefit of the doubt about what she says were her attempts to defend herself in the moments leading up to her death. "They're looking at our [Black] youth as if they are three to four years older and that could go from 'being a child' to 'you're a dangerous adult' -- not a child who was in a situation asking and calling for help" as her family claimed she was doing.

Recent Stories from ABC News
1.png
Top Articles
1a795443-d155-4513-9e5f-0d8c572f345f.jpg
5107ec9f-5179-4b11-a321-cfcd1845eb62.jpg
ce3c2af9-bf0f-4438-a3c4-6b33dc36728c.jpg
b2947f2c-fd8e-470f-a83f-9bac64ca16df.jpg
4b574602-30b0-47d0-a6a2-b03b38dc817d.jpg
3c0e1b05-cb34-4e45-830f-8eb65f314972.jpg
Jury picked for man's trial in 2018slaying of Iowa student

SKIP AD

4b574602-30b0-47d0-a6a2-b03b38dc817d.jpg

In the wake of the shooting, Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther received backlash for calling the teenager a "young woman" in a tweet, instead of a child or teen. He later corrected himself in a press conference.

Advocates have argued that the "adultification" of Black girls -- being seen as less innocent and more aggressive than their peers -- has played a role in how Ma'Khia has been portrayed and perceived since the incident. Bodycam footage released by police appears to show that officers encountered Ma'Khia lunging at a woman with a kitchen knife when she was shot, 11 seconds after police arrived on the scene.

Law enforcement experts say the situation justified the use of deadly force. But her family and others wonder how much "adultification" has factored into her life prior to this incident, as well as her depiction afterward.

Her sister Ja'Niah, 15, has said that two former foster family members were threatening them during a confrontation about the house's cleanliness. Her family claimed Ma'Khia and Ja'Niah were the ones who had called 911 to the scene for help, as opposed to being the aggressor. The account has not been verified by police.

"She was being a bigger sister," Ja'Niah said. "She was trying to protect herself."

Martin said that she hopes Ma'Khia is remembered as the "bubbly" girl seen in the TikTok videos she made -- a smiling young girl dancing and singing along to music, and doing her hair.

Black girls "are instantly seen as aggressive early on and then that puts them in a position where they aren't even comfortable speaking about any injustices or unsafe positions in the home," Martin said about Ma'Khia's life in foster care. "They're not able to feel like they're safe and protected like they should be. Their vulnerabilities aren't really taken into consideration."

PHOTO: Family and friends attend a visitation and funeral service for 16-year-old Ma'Khia Bryant at the First Church of God on April 30, 2021 in Columbus, Ohio.

Scott Olson/Getty Images
Scott Olson/Getty Images
Family and friends attend a visitation and fune...Read More

ADVERTISING

"'Adultification' is a form of dehumanization -- it's stripping Black girls of what it means to be a child," said Jamilia Blake, the lead researcher in a Georgetown University study on bias against young Black girls. "The idea is that your youth protects you from some of the significant outcomes that you're not protected from as an adult because you don't know better."

Her research, published under the title "Girlhood Interrupted: The Erasure of Black Girls' Childhood," concludes that Black girls are perceived as needing less nurturing, less protection and less support than white girls of the same age. As a result, they are subject to harsher responses by those exercising discretion, including use of force, the research found.

Harsher penalties for Black girls: research

This "adultification" may manifest itself in harmful, tangible consequences for Black girls. According to 2018 data from the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights, Black girls are six times more likely to be expelled from school, four times more likely to be arrested, and three times more likely to be suspended.

MORE: Younger sister remembers Ma'Khia Bryant: 'She wanted to grow up and be great'
Black girls also tend to be punished more severely by school authorities and are more likely to have police use force on them, Blake's research found. Two high-profile incidents in January underscored this trend -- in New York, a 9-year-old unarmed Black girl was pepper-sprayed in her eyes after being handcuffed and forced into a squad car by Rochester police. All three officers were suspended and are being investigated internally by the department.

In Florida, an Osceola County deputy was seen on video slamming a young female Black student onto concrete. The officer was placed on administrative leave while the Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigates the incident.

Incidents like these, according to psychiatrist and ABC News contributor Dr. Divya Chhabra, are the product of unconscious racial bias, which goes hand-in-hand with "adultification" bias. She said that unintentional prejudices or biases can affect the way people act and respond to certain situations and people of different races.

"On a conscious level you don't actually have that belief nor do you want to have that belief, yet something inside your brain has been programmed for a long time because of society, because of the environment," Chhabra said. "We maybe don't want to 'adultify' Black girls, we may not actually believe that Black girls are more dangerous, but something in our brain is making us behave that way."

PHOTO: A program displays photos of Ma'Khia Bryant during her funeral in Columbus, Ohio on April 30, 2021.

A program displays photos of Ma'Khia Bryant...Read More
Implicit racism can affect the way Black girls are treated in their day-to-day lives, Chhabra said, and individual and systemic work needs to be done on acknowledging and actively challenging these unconscious biases. The first step, she recommended, is to be aware of the bias, recognize when the bias might be affecting thoughts or actions, and challenge those ideas.

"No person is immune to implicit bias, even people of color or people of oppressed backgrounds are not immune to implicit bias," Chhabra said.

History rooted in slavery and racism

The perceptions of Black girls as more dangerous or more adult, Blake said, stem from slavery and the history of racism in the U.S. Black children were dehumanized, separated from their families and viewed as property. This, combined with the over-sexualization and rape of Black women, has affected the way people see Black girls still today, she said.

"Beginning in slavery, Black boys and girls were imagined as chattel and were often put to work as young as two and three years old," the Georgetown study reads. "Subjected to much of the same dehumanization suffered by Black adults, Black children were rarely perceived as being worthy of playtime and were severely punished for exhibiting normal child-like behaviors."

MORE: Ma'Khia Bryant's family demands answers, investigations into teenager's death
Nishaun T. Battle, an assistant professor of criminal justice at Virginia State University, said Black girls face a "double victimization" of racism and sexism, and that the children suffer from the responsibility of combatting these stereotypes and unconscious biases.

"Even if you do follow all of the directions, stay in line, follow all of the policies, you still can face certain consequences," Battle said. "It's just a very, very dangerous position that Black girls find themselves in wherever they go."

Battle said she hopes a collective movement can prevent future violence against Black girls. She said resources and policies need to be targeted against police use of force against young Black girls and that legislators can instead invest in bettering community systems, like the foster care system that Ma'Khia belonged to.

"It's not about what happened after the fact but what we can do to prevent the fatality," Battle said. "Justice would be better schools, better communities, and more resources."

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
258,079 18,348 2,704
Alleybux
Yep. And I see this all the time in the black community. Black girls can't be seen as kids or innocent. The amount of people black people blaming a child for her own death is disgusting

becktartigan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,830 576 560
Alleybux
Sadly, all the adults failed them. The foster mom should've either disaplained mykhia for the house or sent her back. The girls family lost them for a reason.

Some states have programs where older teens can be part ward of state /part independent. Mykhua needed that.

Sherifmn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
91,873 27,593 4,461
Alleybux
Oh Puhleeze.
Do black girls get adultified? Yes.
Is Ma"Khia's case a good example of it? No.
She got adultified because she tried to gut two women like a fish not because she was black.
Sigh.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,616 2,218 1,629
Alleybux
I'm tired of the narrative that we have to be the perfect victims in order to get sympathy. The comments I saw to that were disgusting. Most people were blaming her for getting shot several times. I was shocked to see that black women were so unsympathetic to the situation. I don't care who gets mad about what I say. The cop did not have to shoot that girl that may times..that sh!t was not needed.

People are more sympathetic to the girl that Makhia was trying to stab because she pulled up to her house that Makhia. If you pull up to someone's house you should be ready to die because whatever the other person does is in self defense I don't know why the grown, adult women that went to Makhia home is getting more sympathy than a teenager that was killed.

By Butterfly

▪︎ the one and only ▪︎
Reaction score
Reactions
112,119 8,213 5,868
Alleybux
I'm tired of the narrative that we have to be the perfect victims in order to get sympathy. The comments I saw to that were disgusting. Most people were blaming her for getting shot several times. I was shocked to see that black women were so unsympathetic to the situation. I don't care who gets mad about what I say. The cop did not have to shoot that girl that may times..that sh!t was not needed.

People are more sympathetic to the girl that Makhia was trying to stab because she pulled up to her house that Makhia. If you pull up to someone's house you should be ready to die because whatever the other person does is in self defense I don't know why the grown, adult women that went to Makhia home is getting more sympathy than a teenager that was killed.
-Ma'khia did not call the cops.The cops were called on HER.

-The female in the pink was holding her dog and wasn't in any type of fighting stance when Ma'khia ran up on her and attempted to stab her.Prior to that, she tried to stab the girl her father kicked in the head.
The girl in the pink said it was her MOM'S house.

-LIFE ISN'T A MOVIE.Had the cop not shot her, the girl in the pink would've suffered serious injury or death.

Her actions led to her death and the adults escalated the situation INCLUDING HER FATHER.

IndigoKnows

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,293 8,876 8,861
Alleybux
Oh, please. No sweet, innocent, good girl (as they tried to paint her) is getting into trouble and getting into fights where deadly weapons have to be used. That just doesn't happen. She probably had a completely different personality than what she presented to her foster family. Not to mention, her foster father kicked another girl while she was on the ground -- you see what she had as an example, and you want to believe she was completely innocent in all this? It's a sad case, sure, but we're not going to not hold Black girls and women accountable. There's a difference between wanting to protect black girls and completely ignoring when they're being unruly.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,616 2,218 1,629
Alleybux
-Ma'khia did not call the cops.The cops were called on HER.

-The female in the pink was holding her dog and wasn't in any type of fighting stance when Ma'khia ran up on her and attempted to stab her.Prior to that, she tried to stab the girl her father kicked in the head.
The girl in the pink said it was her MOM'S house.

-LIFE ISN'T A MOVIE.Had the cop not shot her, the girl in the pink would've suffered serious injury or death.

Her actions led to her death and the adults escalated the situation INCLUDING HER FATHER.
First of all, I dont give a fµck who call what. I'm tired of y'all talking about that b!tch in the pink like she's not an adult and trying to act like she's the victim. Thirdly, who cares whether she would've suffered a serious injury or death SHE PULLED UP TO MAKHIAS HOUSE. I don't give a fµck if she was holding on to a dog or not if you pull up to someone's house be prepared to die. You can lie and try to change the story all you want to.

Some of y'all are just hoodrats and it shows. Blaming a 16 year old girl for her death is disgusting.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,616 2,218 1,629
Alleybux
Oh, please. No sweet, innocent, good girl (as they tried to paint her) is getting into trouble and getting into fights where deadly weapons have to be used. That just doesn't happen. She probably had a completely different personality than what she presented to her foster family. Not to mention, her foster father kicked another girl while she was on the ground -- you see what she had as an example, and you want to believe she was completely innocent in all this? It's a sad case, sure, but we're not going to not hold Black girls and women accountable. There's a difference between wanting to protect black girls and completely ignoring when they're being unruly.
Being unruly means that she shouldv'e died? lmfaoo y'all are heartless when it comes to black girls.

MichGyrl313

Geriatric Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
7,250 488 285
Alleybux
It's a known fact that young black girls are adultified and the grown black women still vilinizing this young girl when she was a product of her environment is sad. Yes, she had a knife and people we're in danger. Most people call the cops when they feel they are in danger, well, unless they are white and black people are involved. But, that's not the point. The point is that it was not necessary for that cop to shoot her 4 times in the chest! What happened to just shooting once or tasing to deescalate? Black people are not seen as human at all! So, it's sad and weird AF when black people do it to other black people. People can be held accountable and you can STILL have empathy for them. That's what wrong with a lot of black people. They think you have to completely demonize someone or make them Christ like. It is not black and white. That young girl learned violence from somewhere and she was a product of the foster care system and people know how that goes yet they continue to demonize her. She didn't deserve to die. Period. Don't care if you like my comment or not.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,616 2,218 1,629
Alleybux
Awww.You responded so you must do.

Reported again.

I don't support domestic violence nor attempted murderers.Right is right and WRONG IS WRONG. View attachment 2563191
Ooh I'm so scared that I was reported. Your really going hard in the paint to say that a 16 year old black girl deserved to be murdered. A lot of y'all have mental issues.

MichGyrl313

Geriatric Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
7,250 488 285
Alleybux
"rEPorted" girl is that supposed to scare me? No one gives a fµck.

The lack of empathy y'all have for black girls is what makes me mad. Hoodrat. Go report that sh!t.
I would ignore her if I were you. She has herself labeled a "mean girl" so she thrives on stuff like this. That's why she came in this thread in the first place. Clearly, it makes her feel better to bring other people down. Zero empathy.

By Butterfly

▪︎ the one and only ▪︎
Reaction score
Reactions
112,119 8,213 5,868
Alleybux
It's a known fact that young black girls are adultified and the grown black women still vilinizing this young girl when she was a product of her environment is sad. Yes, she had a knife and people we're in danger. Most people call the cops when they feel they are in danger, well, unless they are white and black people are involved. But, that's not the point. The point is that it was not necessary for that cop to shoot her 4 times in the chest! What happened to just shooting once or tasing to deescalate? Black people are not seen as human at all! So, it's sad and weird AF when black people do it to other black people. People can be held accountable and you can STILL have empathy for them. That's what wrong with a lot of black people. They think you have to completely demonize someone or make them Christ like. It is not black and white. That young girl learned violence from somewhere and she was a product of the foster care system and people know how that goes yet they continue to demonize her. She didn't deserve to die. Period. Don't care if you like my comment or not.
That girl in the pink was 2.5 seconds away from having her throat slit.

That cop had no time to taze her, in which he would've been playing Russian roulette with the life of the girl in the pink.

Also, tasers aren't always effective.

There are femoral arteries in the legs so even if he shot her there, she still would've bled out.

If someone was trying to stab me like that, I'd want their asses SHOT off me too.Life isn't a game.

And I say this as someone who's own mother has been stabbed and she still has the scar this very day.So I know what it's like.

By Butterfly

▪︎ the one and only ▪︎
Reaction score
Reactions
112,119 8,213 5,868
Alleybux
Ooh I'm so scared that I was reported. Your really going hard in the paint to say that a 16 year old black girl deserved to be murdered. A lot of y'all have mental issues.
Her actions of trying to STAB and harm another human being led to her demise.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,616 2,218 1,629
Alleybux
I would ignore her if I were you. She has herself labeled a "mean girl" so she thrives on stuff like this. That's why she came in this thread in the first place. Clearly, it makes her feel better to bring other people down. Zero empathy
lol "mean girl" are some of these fonts in high school?

FendixFiend

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
160,676 9,944 6,193
Alleybux
Being unruly means that she shouldv'e died? lmfaoo y'all are heartless when it comes to black girls.
No we are heartless to people who try to stab people with knives for stupid reasons. I wouldn’t care if she’s white,Asian,blue,pink. She is not a victim and by y’all making her one it takes away from the real black girls who are victims. Y’all still running with the false info about this case when the real info has already been released.

Juny.B.Jones

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
289,393 8,019 6,614
Alleybux
People excuse that.
I could see if they were just fighting. But what made her think she could attempt to stab two people in front of the police. She was out of control in that moment. Her dad should’ve stopped her instead of kicking the girl in the head.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,616 2,218 1,629
Alleybux
So if someone comes to your house ready to fight your just going to let them beat your ass? Why is everyone ignoring the fact that grown women came to her house ready to fight a 16 year old.

FendixFiend

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
160,676 9,944 6,193
Alleybux
So if someone comes to your house ready to fight your just going to let them beat your ass? Why is everyone ignoring the fact that grown women came to her house ready to fight a 16 year old.
So y’all see this comment? This right here just proves this font did not update themselves on the case. They are still running with the false information. That wasn’t her house but i see you still refuse to update yourself.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,616 2,218 1,629
Alleybux
No we are heartless to people who try to stab people with knives for stupid reasons. I wouldn’t care if she’s white,Asian,blue,pink. She is not a victim and by y’all making her one it takes away from the real black girls who are victims. Y’all still running with the false info about this case when the real info has already been released.
She was a child, but anyway I haven't seen any new info about the situation. She was still failed by her family and the foster care system so you can act like she wasn't but she was.

BLAC N MILD

SteppinOnSh*t...
Reaction score
Reactions
186,720 5,286 3,248
Alleybux
No...I'm going to stay in the damn house and wait for the cops to arrive to handle it. I'm not running outside with a knife, and slitting a girl's throat who is just standing there, holding a damn dog. What threat did she pose?

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,616 2,218 1,629
Alleybux
So y’all see this comment? This right here just proves this font did not update themselves on the case. They are still running with the false information. That wasn’t her house but i see you still refuse to update yourself

Are you going to give me the link to this "real information" or what? Because I haven't seen any other info unless you got the "real information" on this website.

Nitpickr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,037 2,366 2,104
Alleybux
Y’all want us to side with an attempted murderer so bad. Stop trying to make it happen. She isn’t an example of the adultification. A 15 year old knows what killing a person is.

Nixxgamigao

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
40,616 2,218 1,629
Alleybux
No...I'm going to stay in the damn house and wait for the cops to arrive to handle it. I'm not running outside with a knife, and slitting a girl's throat who is just standing there, holding a damn dog. What threat did she pose?
Girl aint nobody talking to you you just want to argue.

CherriGarcia

FKA RumTresLeche
Reaction score
Reactions
229,257 37,367 12,068
Alleybux
You do not have the authority to STAB anyone.

That girl was standing and holding her dog.

Under no circumstances, did Ma'Khia have the right to run up on and STAB someone.

That cop saved another black woman from death or serious injury.

He did his job and that truth fµck!ng hurts.

You seem BIG mad. Out here calling people 'hoodrats' over someone who tried to stab and harm someone.

Reported.
Well they are girls let's not call them women but I'm agreeing with everything u said

By Butterfly

▪︎ the one and only ▪︎
Reaction score
Reactions
112,119 8,213 5,868
Alleybux
You do not have the RIGHT to attack someone with a KNIFE.The female in pink was holding a DOG and she tried to stab the girl on the ground who was kicked in head by her father.

What don't you comprehend?

WATCH THE VIDEO.

LaBahama

Mrs. Hep
Reaction score
Reactions
82,211 1,500 307
Alleybux
My god...they should have just let her slit the girl's throat and called it a day, but then y'all would have a completely different reason to whine.

I think some fonts wanted the cop to allow Ms Bryant's knife to actually make contact with ms pink so then he would have been justified, to shot her, But at that point 2 black females would have been dead.

Their logic makes no sense, But hey black lives matter.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,485 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
Yep. And I see this all the time in the black community. Black girls can't be seen as kids or innocent. The amount of people black people blaming a child for her own death is disgusting
I came across a news story on Youtube about a 9 year old white boy who set his house on fire and killed his entire family. The prosecutor said it wasn't an accident and the boy intended to harm the family. I believe one family member may have escaped but not sure. I read the comments section and the outpouring of sympathy for him was very evident. They were saying the kid needed therapy. The felt sorry for him ETC....now when I read the comments on the video of the body cam of the cop who shot Ma'Khia Bryant there were racist comments, comments about her size, comments expressing concern about the dog that the one girl was holding. None of them felt sorry for her and seemed to enjoy watching her getting shot. It was disgusting.

SeventeenDayze

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
143,485 6,141 6,096
Alleybux
I think some fonts wanted the cop to allow Ms Bryant's knife to actually make contact with ms pink so then he would have been justified, to shot her, But at that point 2 black females would have been dead.

You can always make a point without mocking BLM. I would expect that from a racist.

BLAC N MILD

SteppinOnSh*t...
Reaction score
Reactions
186,720 5,286 3,248
Alleybux

Folks like this make us look so fcking remedial. I'm sick of this sh!t, I really am! Like I said, he should have just let her slit the girl's throat and they would be screaming "See! Black women are so unprotected! He didn't value her life enough to even stop the murder!!!!"

You know I'm right. lol

Last edited: