Quantcast

Making Your Own Bread

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,065 426 206
Alleybux
Anyone out there making their own bread? I'm trying to start and curious about what tips you may have. TY.

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,177 7,433 1,115
Alleybux
Yes , I finally learned how to in Asia back in 2019 . I am trying to perfect it tho now with the little skills I did learn

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,177 7,433 1,115
Alleybux
Find good dough . Never new there was so many kinds of flour . You have to find out what is good and what is not. Then there is the yeast .

Get you technique to kneel the bread down. After that it is easy

Last edited:

LoLu10Plus

Laughter is the best medicine.
Reaction score
Reactions
41,680 873 192
Alleybux
What type of bread? Quick breads or yeast breads?
I do both, but this my favorite quick bread recipe. Even just the plain version is amazing And so easy. The cranberry and orange version is really good, too. Buttermilk is one of the best baking ingredients ever.

And OP, try a no-knead recipe if you’re looking for a place to start with yeast breads. They take more time, but they’re so easy. Happy baking!

PowerPuffBarbie

Being weird is just a side-effect of being awesome
Reaction score
Reactions
117,043 2,132 668
Alleybux
I’ve been watching The Great British Baking Show on Netflix and they’re always making bread ! It’s so soothing to watch and it makes me want to make my own bread. They share a lot of tips about yeast and proving the dough, etc.

ugfrogishere

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,894 561 163
Alleybux
I've done this for years, as shop bought bread tends to be disappointing and I recommend:

- Closely following the recipes given on sites that have recipes, like those that sell flour (I'm signed up to many of their newsletters), so I have a lot of recipes for e.g. hot cross buns to try out.
- Cut your coat according to your cloth with ingredients and your own, personal dietary requirements. Use cheaper, less fresh stuff at first then when you've seen the recipe is fine, go up a notch in terms of quality. It's interesting to see just how much these vary according to the provenance, branding and just various types. Have fun discovering new things!
- Start out with plain bread recipes with nothing more than the essential ingredients, then when you get comfortable, try others that add nuts, seeds, dried fruit, olives etc.
- Use dried yeast in these early stages, then you can try the fresh one and even sourdough starter later on.
- Take into consideration whether you use a gas or electric oven, as they bake differently and the latter gives quicker, even results (preheat for around 10-20 mins beforehand).

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,177 7,433 1,115
Alleybux
One trick I learned how to make the bread rise in under 2 hours. Heat a cup of water in the microwave until it boils then sit you bowl of dough in it to rise with microwave door closed and not turned on.

Ports and Slims

Pipe It Down 'Fore I Whoop You Like Yo Mama Do
Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
My daddy and I used to bake fresh bread all the time when I was younger. He (really, we) are obsessed with kitchen gadgets and he bought a bread maker and it was so much fun using it. Tedious and didn't replace our store-bought sandwich bread, but it created a lot of memories

Shadyaszady

La Jefa.
Reaction score
Reactions
5,099 119 2
Alleybux
Anyone out there making their own bread? I'm trying to start and curious about what tips you may have. TY.
I’ve been doing this all through the pandemic. Lots of fun. Here’s an easy recipe to follow.

tout et rien

All and Nothing
Reaction score
Reactions
71,789 1,511 698
Alleybux
Take seriously the parts of the recipe that discuss letting the dough rest and rise. Even non-yeast recipes. It makes a difference. It sounds obvious but for example if your dough needs to double in size, take note of what size it is at the start. Maybe use a bowl with cup measurements to help gauge. It doesn't need to be exact, but it is easy to misremember how big or small a ball a dough is.

Marble is great for rolling buttery dough because it stays cool enough not to melt the butter as you are spreading it out. But if you are like me and don't have marble countertops or a marble cutting board, don't sweat it.

Enjoy. I used to bake a lot more than I do now. You'll make your family members very happy.

HELLO Rupert

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
10,075 139 89
Alleybux
I make bread, rolls, buns. Sweet rolls but my real secret is that for years I have gone and bought a bread maker from goodwill (average price 5-10 bucks) and use it for the dough cycle only. You throw everything in, hit the dough cycle and when the dough is ready you take it out and shape and let rise per your recipe. I do this for 2 reasons:

First, I really dislike the first stages of sticky dough making and using my fingers...it's a texture thing and this method avoids it.

Second, I HATE the hole breadmakers leave when the dough is baked in the dough pan.

I've got a crap ton of holiday stuff to do but I look forward to sharing info passed onto me. My first tip to share I just got a few weeks ago.

When you boil pasta or potatoes if you save that water and use it to replace water or liquid in your recipes and it will give your bread an real boost to your rise.

11BlackMagnolia11

**✿❀sweet&simple❀✿**
Reaction score
Reactions
11,460 209 252
Alleybux
This might be obvious but get a scale and try and measure things in grams and look for recipes that go by this

Mia Fey

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
788 14 1
Alleybux
It is not pretty, but this is an easy and tasty way to make bread: NYT No Knead Bread
I try to remember to put parchment paper in the dutch oven before adding the dough, it makes it easier to get the bread out of the hot pan.

LinnStik

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
131 3 1
Alleybux
I get my whole wheat from the local farmer. It's bit pricey, but really makes a difference over anything I can buy in a store.

JohnBrown

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,810 1,065 578
Alleybux
I am using a bread-maker. I can really recommend this because it makes everything pretty simple. You just put the ingredients into it and the machine makes everything else.

I use organic whole grain flour, 60% wheat and 40% rye. It makes even high quality organic bread incredible inexpensive (about $1.20 for a 1.5lb-bread including the electricity needed) and it tastes better than anything I ever bought.

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,065 426 206
Alleybux
You guys sure do come through. I've got all the tools and ingredients. I know it's going to be a lot of trial and error. I just need to get started. Thank you again!

LoLu10Plus

Reaction score
Reactions
41,680 873 192
Alleybux
You guys sure do come through. I've got all the tools and ingredients. I know it's going to be a lot of trial and error. I just need to get started. Thank you again!
One more thing, two others easy types of yeast doughs to start with are pizza dough and focaccia. Good luck!

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,065 426 206
Alleybux
One more thing, two others easy types of yeast doughs to start with are pizza dough and focaccia. Good luck!
TY! Funny you should mention focaccia brioche, I made that with my brother last time I saw him. Delicious and so easy.

ETA: It was brioche I made with him. Sooo good and makes the best hamburger bun. I'm going to try focaccia once my fresh herbs arrive.

Last edited:

LBLogan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
16,500 688 213
Alleybux
I am using a bread-maker. I can really recommend this because it makes everything pretty simple. You just put the ingredients into it and the machine makes everything else.

I use organic whole grain flour, 60% wheat and 40% rye. It makes even high quality organic bread incredible inexpensive (about $1.20 for a 1.5lb-bread including the electricity needed) and it tastes better than anything I ever bought.
Which bread-maker do you have?

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,065 426 206
Alleybux
I've done this for years, as shop bought bread tends to be disappointing and I recommend:

- Closely following the recipes given on sites that have recipes, like those that sell flour (I'm signed up to many of their newsletters), so I have a lot of recipes for e.g. hot cross buns to try out.
- Cut your coat according to your cloth with ingredients and your own, personal dietary requirements. Use cheaper, less fresh stuff at first then when you've seen the recipe is fine, go up a notch in terms of quality. It's interesting to see just how much these vary according to the provenance, branding and just various types. Have fun discovering new things!
- Start out with plain bread recipes with nothing more than the essential ingredients, then when you get comfortable, try others that add nuts, seeds, dried fruit, olives etc.
- Use dried yeast in these early stages, then you can try the fresh one and even sourdough starter later on.
- Take into consideration whether you use a gas or electric oven, as they bake differently and the latter gives quicker, even results (preheat for around 10-20 mins beforehand).
Awesome tips. TY! I'm in a new build and just had my oven recalibrated as it wasn't reaching temp. Fun fact, these new ranges (cooking is gas and oven is electric), do not have thermostats. I did not know that. He was dropping knowledge left and right about my appliances, which I really appreciated. He also said when the oven beeps, indicating that it's come up to temp, give it another 5-10 minutes just to be sure. The more you know...

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,065 426 206
Alleybux

See, I did the bread maker years ago and as someone else said, I wasn't fond of the hole it left. I think I ended up donating it. Besides, I LOVE working with dough. There's just something about it I find tranquil and soothing.

ugfrogishere

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,894 561 163
Alleybux
Awesome tips. TY! I'm in a new build and just had my oven recalibrated as it wasn't reaching temp. Fun fact, these new ranges (cooking is gas and oven is electric), do not have thermostats. I did not know that. He was dropping knowledge left and right about my appliances, which I really appreciated. He also said when the oven beeps, indicating that it's come up to temp, give it another 5-10 minutes just to be sure. The more you know...
You're welcome!
You're fortunate that yours beeps when its pre-heated, as mine beeps when the set timer has ended:LOL:.
I'm also new to dual fuel cookers, as I'm used to gas cookers and have found that I, by far, prefer electric ovens. No need to worry about e.g. the inside mixture of soda bread being raw if I bake it for the recommended time.

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,065 426 206
Alleybux
I get my whole wheat from the local farmer. It's bit pricey, but really makes a difference over anything I can buy in a store.
Have you tried marketwagon.com? They are awesome! It's basically the farmers' market delivered to your door. The only fee you pay is for your delivery, which for me has been $5.95. To me, it's worth it. That's the way I've been getting this incredible fresh bread, and local fresh produce and non-GMO eggs.

Sophia Home Now

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,065 426 206
Alleybux
I make bread, rolls, buns. Sweet rolls but my real secret is that for years I have gone and bought a bread maker from goodwill (average price 5-10 bucks) and use it for the dough cycle only. You throw everything in, hit the dough cycle and when the dough is ready you take it out and shape and let rise per your recipe. I do this for 2 reasons:

First, I really dislike the first stages of sticky dough making and using my fingers...it's a texture thing and this method avoids it.

Second, I HATE the hole breadmakers leave when the dough is baked in the dough pan.

I've got a crap ton of holiday stuff to do but I look forward to sharing info passed onto me. My first tip to share I just got a few weeks ago.

When you boil pasta or potatoes if you save that water and use it to replace water or liquid in your recipes and it will give your bread an real boost to your rise.
Ooooh, first I'm hearing about the pasta/potato water. TY. Has to be the starch. Interesting.

LoLu10Plus

Reaction score
Reactions
41,680 873 192
Alleybux
See, I did the bread maker years ago and as someone else said, I wasn't fond of the hole it left. I think I ended up donating it. Besides, I LOVE working with dough. There's just something about it I find tranquil and soothing.
I‘ve never used a bread maker, but I love kneading the dough, too. I think it teaches you more about baking, how the gluten forms, and what the dough should look and feel like to knead by hand as well. The more you knead, the better you get at making other types of doughs.

JohnBrown

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,810 1,065 578
Alleybux
Which bread-maker do you have?
I bought it from Aldi in Germany, the brand is Tefal and its called "pain plaisir" what sounds a bit funny in English (but means something like "bread pleasure" in French). I don't know if they are available in the US.

But bread-makers are not rocked science. I am sure any brand will do. As always I would only be careful if its too cheap because they might break to easily.

Eclair

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
866 14 13
Alleybux
Light brioche buns. Handy to keep in the freezer. In some ways easier than one loaf...or maybe its just that I like forming them:).
IMG_1478.jpg

AreYouOK

like, meow and stuffs
Reaction score
Reactions
25,736 657
Alleybux
This is my go to bread recipe from King Arthur Flour. I don't have a bread machine, so I just followed these instructions to make and bake by hand.

Savory Cheddar Cheese Bread​

The loaf is designed to bake in a Zojirushi full-sized bread machine, though you can certainly prepare and bake the dough by hand: after its first rise, shape the dough and place it in an 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" pan; let it rise, then bake it in a preheated 350°F oven for about 35 to 40 minutes.

PREP 5 mins
BAKE 1 hr to 1 hr 10 mins
TOTAL 3 hrs 40 mins
YIELD 1 loaf

Ingredients​

*Add an additional tablespoon of milk during the winter, or if you live in a dry climate.
**Substitute grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.

Instructions​

1. Put all of the ingredients into the bucket of your bread machine in the order designated.
  2. Program the machine for basic bread, light crust setting. Press Start.
  3. Check the dough after about 10 minutes of kneading; it should have formed a cohesive ball, and be slightly sticky. Adjust its consistency with additional milk or flour, if necessary.
  4. Allow the machine to complete its cycle. Remove the bread from the machine, and cool it on a rack.

Onyxprincess

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,150 1,546 1,886
Alleybux
I like eatimg fresh baked bread but I don’t like making it.

One thing is it really needs to be kneaded thoroughly. Which is why it is easier with a bread maker or mixer.

Rich breads w egg and butter come out nicer for a beginner. Try brioche or milk bread (evaporated milk)...

Simple water and flour breads like French and Italian bread are hard - they only have a couple of ingredients so there is no room for error.