Quantcast

Maladaptive daydreaming.

ViceHaze

One Tired Humanoid
Reaction score
Reactions
16,189 521 84
Alleybux
Well, i know i have had daydreams so intense that i had trouble recalling if something was a memory or a daydream. Is that what you mean?

That too, yes. And also being out of tune with what's happening around you. I know some times I'll daydream and when I wake up I'll discover that I missed a lot of what someone said or something like it.

Curious to see what other people score on this http://counsellingresource.com/quizzes/misc-tests/des/

[h=3]Total score of: 44
(30 or Above, Higher Association With DID)[/h]

FIRERAM03

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
45 3
Alleybux
I just scored a 37. I have been experiencing them since i was a child

FIRERAM03

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
45 3
Alleybux
I listen to music alot. i tried to stop but music just plays in my mind. The daydreaming has become so natural to me that i have to really focus just to be in the present moment. Whenever i have a crush on someone it gets really bad all i can do is think about me and that personeven when i know in reality they are in a relationship with someone. I was diagnosed with epilepsy 17 years ago and i believe it made it worst. This is the first time i heard anyone speak of this i just thought i was craz

Lee Jinki

Onew
Reaction score
Reactions
11,027 1,573 154
Alleybux
Do any of ypu use this as a way to cope with feeling of loneliness?

Also do you think these daydreams could ever play a role in manifesting things providing the fantasy is realistic?

Cocobutttercup

Lip syncing queen
Reaction score
Reactions
202,509 12,953 2,132
Alleybux
Do any of ypu use this as a way to cope with feeling of loneliness?

Also do you think these daydreams could ever play a role in manifesting things providing the fantasy is realistic?

I am alone most of the time, but i do go out and have fun... sometimes. I find myself daydreaming a lot, but I don't think out of loneliness, most of the time, I like being alone, despite living with my parent. I work with people at my temp job, but most of the time, I wanna be alone.

Cocobutttercup

Lip syncing queen
Reaction score
Reactions
202,509 12,953 2,132
Alleybux
Music videos are especially triggering to me. If there is good choreo in it, i find myself imagining i am one of the dancers in the video. Lol. I will even keep repeating the parts I find particularly enjoyable whilst i imagine I am in the music video. I can do this for an hour or more on one or two videos. I even intentionally seek out my favorites to send myself in to a daydream....

That is so embarrassing to admit

Music videos are also triggering for me. One music video that severely triggers me is Beyonce's "Crazy in Love." I was 12 when it came out and 13 years later I STILL daydream about it and I still act like I am a dancer in her video. It is sooo embarrassing. When I first saw the video many years ago, I became obsessed and watched it continuously and downloaded it to my computer and did the choreography. The beat triggers me severely along with the part where there's a photoshoot and she's doing all the different poses. The colors of her dress trigger me too with the dances the girls are doing in the video. I remember daydreaming about that video for hours back then and I still do it now.

Lee Jinki

Onew
Reaction score
Reactions
11,027 1,573 154
Alleybux
Music videos are also triggering for me. One music video that severely triggers me is Beyonce's "Crazy in Love." I was 12 when it came out and 13 years later I STILL daydream about it and I still act like I am a dancer in her video. It is sooo embarrassing. When I first saw the video many years ago, I became obsessed and watched it continuously and downloaded it to my computer and did the choreography. The beat triggers me severely along with the part where there's a photoshoot and she's doing all the different poses. The colors of her dress trigger me too with the dances the girls are doing in the video. I remember daydreaming about that video for hours back then and I still do it now.

OKay. I'm happy I am not the only one who fantasizes about being a dancer.

Have any of you told people in your real life about this?

dirtysexytalk

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,608 498 39
Alleybux
I struggle with MD, it's incredibly hard because I also have Depression and addiction problems. I'm triggered mostly by music, but movies/tv also do it for me as well. I dream about so many different things. Sometimes I don't even dream about myself or my life but celebrities and characters on TV shows; I've created entire lives and situations for them. I can lose myself so much in my dreams that I shake, have head moments and react.

GeminiAdult

Being prim and proper
Reaction score
Reactions
380,539 17,403 15,550
Alleybux
Yall, I have this, but i'm also creative and edit fan-mades.. So I think I was put here to create some way. My dream is to be a video director or concept director. I just can feel it in my bones, but in terrified of not finding a job..

I have this thing were I come up with video concepts and sh!t in my head. Or create shows in my head.

orangeslices

lovemyhome
Reaction score
Reactions
979 50 31
Alleybux
I dunnnnoooo but it just seems like you guys are creative! Depression? From daydreaming? Before you can put something in motion it's always good to visualize it. They done made people think it's not good to daydream & use their imagination! Oy

But I usually do this before & during masturbation. Oh & when manifesting :wink 512x512:

S.O.L

Sensational Cheverly
Reaction score
Reactions
119,573 2,743 650
Alleybux
Have you told anyone else? This thread is the first time I ever admitted this to anyone.

Have any of you been diagnosed with other things? Like depression or adhd?
I have had ADD since childhood and I'd daydream for HOURS. My teacher would ask if I was with her that day or not.

Aggy

Ben Franklin knowz who the fµck I am!!
Reaction score
Reactions
59,116 1,368 722
Alleybux
Well, i know i have had daydreams so intense that i had trouble recalling if something was a memory or a daydream.

This used to happen to me in hs. Had a dream my crush got with this girl I hated. When I hinted at me knowing about them she was looking at me like :e6_25: "huh?"

I was so confused at first until I realised it must have been a dream. I was so mad inside, like this damn brain of mine!!!
:anger 512x512:

I'm glad you brought this up, I've actually been doing just that lately. I'm working on travel plans in the near future, so I'm trying to make my daydreams productive, by using them as ways of visualizing myself in said country doing everyday things, to help manifesting myself into those places!

Lee Jinki

Onew
Reaction score
Reactions
11,027 1,573 154
Alleybux
This used to happen to me in hs. Had a dream my crush got with this girl I hated. When I hinted at me knowing about them she was looking at me like :e6_25: "huh?"

I was so confused at first until I realised it must have been a dream. I was so mad inside, like this damn brain of mine!!!
:anger 512x512:

I'm glad you brought this up, I've actually been doing just that lately. I'm working on travel plans in the near future, so I'm trying to make my daydreams productive, by using them as ways of visualizing myself in said country doing everyday things, to help manifesting myself into those places!
Keep us updated on this! I am very interested to learn more about it.

Pepperann

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
21,542 574 126
Alleybux
Yes. I suffered from trauma as a child/teen. A dissociate disorder. I practice mindful thinking now and try and make daily to do lists so that sh!t gets done.

What is mindful thinking? Would this be beneficial to a person with adhd?

L. Chow

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,367 80 16
Alleybux
It's something that I started doing as a child. Like other posters, there was some trauma in my childhood and I believe I used it as an escape - like, I could mentally remove myself from situations, though my body was physically present. Now, it's become something that consumes me and something that I do the majority of the time, even while working. It's getting in the way of my work performance, not to mention that each day I become more and more consumed by the "dreams."

How can I make them stop?

Reaction score
Reactions
29,928 459 343
Alleybux
My 'best' daydreams happen when I pace, or i'm in motion. I usually do it when I'm depressed, or stressed. I've been using it as a coping mechanism for years. My mom thought I was insane, she probably still does :dead:

I don't think many mental health professionals know about it or take it seriously.

the80sbaby

ThottingAtThotsRUS
Reaction score
Reactions
1,030 18 18
Alleybux
What is mindful thinking? Would this be beneficial to a person with adhd?

Being mentally present. So for example instead of daydreaming at a traffic light, you'd focus until it turned green.

Or, instead of eating a whole bag of chips, you eat a handful as you're aware and mindful that mindless eating causes weight gain.

Astr

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
50,679 1,684 1,011
Alleybux
I have this and have dealt with it ever since I can remember. I've recently been prescribed an antidepressant and mood stabilizer and it's helped so much. I can function so much better, I have mental clarity- it's like a fog has been lifted. I still daydream but I can control it and still be productive and social. Since being on it in just this short period of time I realize just how dysfunctional and out of touch I was. I can live in the present and not in my head.

dirtysexytalk

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,608 498 39
Alleybux
I linked this article in the Resources for Mental Health thread as well but it's an article I read a few weeks ago about maladaptive daydreaming 'When Daydreaming Replaces Reality' the author struggled with MD, wanted to know why it isn't a mental health disorder and whether other people suffered from this as well. There's a website and forum for people with MD 'Wild Minds Network', I found it in the article. People tell their stories and helpful tips about overcoming MD.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,555 494,992 222,879
Alleybux
I've had this forever. Also glad to know I'm not the only one. Does anyone else have several fantasies that you toggle back and forth between like tabs on a web browser?

The Justicar

Blue Baddie
Reaction score
Reactions
13,810 447 145
Alleybux
Just curious...does anybody here have Gemini in their natal chart (gemini sun, rising and/or moon)?

The Justicar

Blue Baddie
Reaction score
Reactions
13,810 447 145
Alleybux
Cancer rising, moon, and Venus with s Leo sun.

Interesting...I was wondering because I just recently found out that a very common trait of Geminis is that they talk to themselves when alone. I have a Gemini rising (my true node is also in Gemini) and I have had m.d. my whole life.

The Justicar

Blue Baddie
Reaction score
Reactions
13,810 447 145
Alleybux
I guess I should add my two cents from my experience with this...

one of the ways I am able to cope with md is by simply embracing it as part of who I am. Sounds simple and silly, but it works. I found that the more I fight it, the worse it becomes and the more depress I get. My depression is also a result of me mding all day and not getting things done:

Daydreaming=procrastination=depression (of not accomplishing goals)

so what I do is, I treat my md as a "reward"; after creating a list of goals or errands I need to do for the month, and then breaking them down by day, I tell myself "if I get x, y, and z done for today, I am free to do what I want (including daydream)" this has helped me tremendously.

I also like what one font said about using mindful thinking. Thats a really good idea. I will try that as well.

ETA: also look on the bright side...at least its not schizophrenia

Salone_Chic

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
379,391 7,307 4,083
Alleybux
I've been doing a lot of research on this since I posted this and everything I am reading says people develop it after emotional trauma. I do have some emotional trauma, but I don't think it comes from that. I've been watching youtubes and all of the people talking about mentioned it starting after being bullied as a child or their parents divorcing.

I don't have to be depressed for it to be triggered either. Although I do it more when I feel bad. The quality is the same. It's something I purposely do to cope when I'm sad. But I have wondered if my add plays a part. Daydreaming and ''zoning out'' is a characteristic for add.

Everyone is different though.

It can stem from emotional trauma or neglect.

I definitely do this when I'm bored or unhappy and it stems from being raised, more or less, as an only child and my parents being emotionally unavailable. I wouldn't say I was traumatized but I definitely learned to self soothe at a very early age and prefer my own company to that of others.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,555 494,992 222,879
Alleybux
I have a Gemini Mercury.

That post and #62 are me. I'm new here and didn't look at the rules for anon posting until after I posted. This MD is not the worst thing you could have but I'd appreciate it if my font isn't revealed. Please delete or contact me to delete (for mods) if it's a problem. I wouldn't have posted at all without the anon option. Thanks.

The Justicar

Blue Baddie
Reaction score
Reactions
13,810 447 145
Alleybux
It can stem from emotional trauma or neglect.

I definitely do this when I'm bored or unhappy and it stems from being raised, more or less, as an only child and my parents being emotionally unavailable. I wouldn't say I was traumatized but I definitely learned to self soothe at a very early age and prefer my own company to that of others.

I suffered from a narcissistic/neglectful mother and father abandonment. As a child, I LOVED to read. It actually turned into an obsession, meaning it was more than just for fun, but a way for me to escape the sad reality of my situation growing up (not to mention growing up in a religious cult that I broke away from at 18). I would project myself into the stories as one of the characters, even acting out the emotions. In my teens, music began to be a trigger for me. It still is except for blues and jazz... I discovered an interest in this type of music about a couple of years ago, and its really weird that I have no episodes/triggers when I listen to it. So I try my best to only listen to this style if I have to listen to music. As a result of my episodes and avid reading as a kid, I became really good at writing, so I definitely want to explore this as a hobby. Like I mentioned before, for me, its not about trying to "cure" it, but finding ways to utilize and manage it.