Quantcast

Marion Barry got a statue in DC...LOL

nineseven

I'm here bih
Reaction score
Reactions
2,405 72 4
Alleybux
My 78-year-old play grandmother told me that a young white guy who moved in next to her said he was going to buy her house when she died. Laugh all you want, but white people in DC damn sure weren’t so bold when Marion Barry was mayor. And I do believe that he’d be fighting a lot to ensure that Black people who have lived in the city FOREVER can keep their homes or have access to affordable housing that’s actually affordable were he still alive and the mayor. I will always respect this man, demons aside!

That's crazy. Who says something like that to someone?

Shondas Chin

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,244 533 685
Alleybux
He was famously addicted to crack and cocaine.

This is all people outside of the DC area know about Marion Barry. He did so much for DC giving young people jobs every summer, making sure our communities weren’t gentrified. He supported black enterprise. He never sold his community out and he was a huge voice during the civil rights movement.

Him being on drugs is no different than any white president doing drugs but we don’t hold that against them

Shondas Chin

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,244 533 685
Alleybux
Marion Barry is what Obama is marketed as. Real talk. I'm not putting Obama down but Marion Barry is that special. He was a brilliant man who was a chemist before entering politics.

And that’s why they set him up. All the drug sh!t that was going down in DC and they spent resources on catching him with a prostitute and blow. Literally every politician was sniffing coke back then but they go after Barry. That’s the price you pay for keeping it real.

Motherland_J

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,384 773 65
Alleybux
right, this is the best mayor any negroes in america had

he made sure black folks were employed and had dibs on government contracts. yeah he had a crack habit but who didn't when it comes to vices amongst politicians

and most of all he kept white pressed

And technically he is still helping teens get jobs even death. The summer youth program for DC teens is still in place for teens and young adults 16-24. He's Mayor for Life and rightfully so. He did a lot of good in getting people employed and being able to buy homes in the city. Yeah he got caught smoking crack but his heart and intentions for the city a majority of time was in the right place. All these mayors that have come after him haven't been able to touch his legacy.

2freshnclean

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,050 120 317
Alleybux
Huh? List all of the black mayors of your city. Then liste all of their crimes.

So far it sounds like you are listing the misteps of ONE black mayor.

From Coleman a Young to Kwame Kilpatrick, they have all done Detroit dirty. Now we have a white mayor and things are running smoothly

Eddie Burke

Donkey Killer
Reaction score
Reactions
5,566 847 2,459
Alleybux
49D1F50500000578-5456015-image-a-29_1520179407896.jpg

That man was a racist, tear his statue down! Where is the Asian Anti-Defamation League on this???

GlamChick

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,370 709 794
Alleybux
That fool was never a racist. He might had been a clown but never a racist. he might had been a player or a hoe or whatever you wanted to call him but that man was a damn good mayor.

That man was a racist, tear his statue down! Where is the Asian Anti-Defamation League on this???

shademuse

Founder of the Bernice Starnes STAN Fair Thread
Reaction score
Reactions
129,453 2,150 270
Alleybux
OP, I couldn't tell if you were laughing at the fact that he got a statue or if it's the execution of it. If it's the latter, the original Lucille Ball statue says hi. e5

lucy.jpg

shademuse

Founder of the Bernice Starnes STAN Fair Thread
Reaction score
Reactions
129,453 2,150 270
Alleybux
Also, I couldn't tell from that initial photo but his statue is quite large!

huge.jpg

The placement along the wall is a little odd, but I don't know if it's just the way it's being photographed.

Brick House

Mighty Mighty, just letting it all hang out
Reaction score
Reactions
18,567 2,358 2,199
Alleybux
OP, I couldn't tell if you were laughing at the fact that he got a statue or if it's the execution of it. If it's the latter, the original Lucille Ball statue says hi. e5

View attachment 191349

No, I think his statue and the resemblance looks amazing. It's not very often you see a nice resemblance in bronze sculpture. This artist did well.

Phoenix27

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,074 548 81
Alleybux
I have family from the DC area that spoke glowingly about how supportive he was of the black community so I don’t see a problem with it. He may have had his faults but he was no worse than these politicians we have today occupying the White House.

WorldBFree

Don’t make excuses, make improvements
Reaction score
Reactions
35,573 696 502
Alleybux
Kennedy was hooked on drugs and screwed everything that moved and yet white people loved him and wrote books about him. There are monuments and schools named after Kennedy and he was put on the half dollar. So you will excuse me if I say phuck you to the white folks who have a problem with Barry getting a statue.

Abpeaches

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
713 59 45
Alleybux
He did a lot for the city and we appreciated him for it. The statue looks good and he deserves it.

Abpeaches

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
713 59 45
Alleybux
I hate to bring up his faults (because we all have them) but I remember when this story came out and I was at work laughing like a fool. We miss you Barry...

original.jpg

LalaSharp

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
283,696 13,177 1,668
Alleybux
I don't know how any self-respecting black person can look at the way white people coddle and protect opioid users and turn around and slam a black person who had an addiction issue.

The White House had a whole damn summit on opioid use last week w/ the major cabinet secretaries focusing on TREATMENT. Imagine if there had been a crack summit. It would have been all about law enforcement, guns & derisive images and mocking of the addicts.

There was a Fox News reporter who made a nasty joke about Whitney Houston's death & drug use to Maxine Waters shortly after The Voice died. That same ish visited his own life w/n a year when his son died from an overdose. Now he's a leading activist to end this "crisis" and was at that White House summit.

W/n the past 2 years, the white mayor of Fairfax County, VA - 1 of the wealthiest counties in America - was caught in a meth for gay xes scheme. The comments under the articles in the Washington Post were about how people should pray for him & his actions were private.

It's sad that Marion Barry couldn't overcome his demons, but in retrospect, if America has decided that the white addict deserves a compassionate response to his disease, so does Barry. There are still black kids getting a foot in the door every summer at Federal Agencies under the Marion Barry Youth employment program. There are black people in DC in million dollar homes because of the jobs Barry created for their families. He created generational wealth for black people. Recognize.

LalaSharp

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
283,696 13,177 1,668
Alleybux
I have to add the artist did an amazing job of capturing the essence of Marion Barry in a common pose. You could see him at the Metro Stations around the city or at city events walking around in that exact pose & he had the gift of looking at you like he remembered you from the other times he saw you.

I was hesitant when I read a white man was doing it because I didn't want another fiasco like the MLK statue at the memorial. That statue doesn't capture the man. The intent is great but the execution is poor.

I dated a person who had to court DC govt. leaders back in the day & a lot of them would get lushy red faced drunk.

O Bryan

80s Himbo
Reaction score
Reactions
45,862 2,870 3,629
Alleybux

he made sure black folks were employed and had dibs on government contracts. yeah he had a crack habit but who didn't when it comes to vices amongst politicians

Thank you. DC will always be Chocolate City in my eyes because of Mayor Barry.

Yeize10

Soy una stripper
Reaction score
Reactions
26,126 207 121
Alleybux
He deserves it. He is the reason a lot of black people got jobs in the city. I got my first job thru his program.

LalaSharp

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
283,696 13,177 1,668
Alleybux
1 more thing. I remember the Affirmative Action debates. White people were foaming at the mouth about "unqualified" black people getting jobs. Silence on Trump and his appointments. His son in law is managing middle east peace and his daughter is giving messages to the Koreans and meeting with world leaders FFS!

A lot of Clarence Thomas self-hate comes from his insecurity because he says white people always looked at him as holding positions because of Affirmative Action. (I believe it's true. You don't go 10 years w/o asking questions if you have a bit of sense.)

Barry said black people should be in the game and at the table. I will always believe that's part of the reason he was targeted by the FBI even though he put himself in the position to be caught. If you watch the full tape of the bust w/all the times he turned the drugs down, he was there to f--k.

NubianQueen

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
71,230 646 712
Alleybux
Yup. Elementary schools, that cultural center over on 47th...of course the library which is something else...MANY parks actually...I got a T shirt that says Make Chicago Great Again with a pic of Harold Washington. My mama sent it to me. lol

Yeah and I am one of those people who think Washington was KILLED (poisoned) because they knew, it would be hard to get him out.
I've always felt that way too.

SaLiLi

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,892 7,386 9,336
Alleybux
Oh my god yeah. iirc he was a recovering addict and the lady asked him like 3 times before he finally said yes. That's so fuked up they set him up like that

Barry said black people should be in the game and at the table. I will always believe that's part of the reason he was targeted by the FBI even though he put himself in the position to be caught. If you watch the full tape of the bust w/all the times he turned the drugs down, he was there to f--k.

sophiasofi

For half a minute there wasn't a sound.
Reaction score
Reactions
333,302 12,152 6,802
Alleybux

That's the playbook. Nobody is perfect but they act like a black person's legacy of helping us will be wiped out if they get caught up in one thing. But NOPE!

My rules on loyalty is simple...you ride for me and my people..I ride for you twice as hard. You show people that you are not ashamed to talk up for me and mine...I will NEVER be ashamed to talk up for you.

Simple. But a lot of us are like this. That's why we won't let them define Barry by some bullsh*t. Nope!

Botan

The Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Reactions
119,947 4,049 853
Alleybux
You guys don't understand, he may have had his flaws but he really cared about Black DC residents. He was intelligent, real, and he very sweet. He has helped my family so much. My dad got his first job ever in the early 80s working in his office and he introduced my mom and dad to each other. He mentored my dad and even gave my parents a blessing during their wedding.

He also wrote lots of recommendations for my older brother and I when we went to University. He is one of my heroes.

Marion Berry will always have my heart!

Eddie Burke

Donkey Killer
Reaction score
Reactions
5,566 847 2,459
Alleybux
That fool was never a racist. He might had been a clown but never a racist. he might had been a player or a hoe or whatever you wanted to call him but that man was a damn good mayor.

So you missed his tirade against shopowners? He had to apologize for it.

Eddie Burke

Donkey Killer
Reaction score
Reactions
5,566 847 2,459
Alleybux
My 78-year-old play grandmother told me that a young white guy who moved in next to her said he was going to buy her house when she died. Laugh all you want, but white people in DC damn sure weren’t so bold when Marion Barry was mayor. And I do believe that he’d be fighting a lot to ensure that Black people who have lived in the city FOREVER can keep their homes or have access to affordable housing that’s actually affordable were he still alive and the mayor. I will always respect this man, demons aside!

I'm sure the crack addicts didn't exactly excite outsiders to buy up D.C. areas either.

LalaSharp

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
283,696 13,177 1,668
Alleybux

White people were/are really being vultures to their older black property owning neighbors in DC.

"Theresa Bollech found out by chance that a neighbor had purchased a tax-sale certificate on her family’s home in the Chevy Chase neighborhood in the District and was quietly planning to foreclose in a matter of weeks."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca.../gJQAr4cRxU_story.html?utm_term=.d36a89427907

The most recent administrations allowed long-term black residents to lose hundreds of thousands in built up equity over small tax debts. It only slowed when the Washington Post did a front page story featuring an elderly black man who lost $200,000 in equity over a $197 debt. I don't think stuff like that would have happened to that extent in a Barry administration.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/i...8/left-with-nothing/?hpid=z2&tid=a_inl_manual

Trump praised this 'opioid memorial' w/ little pills to represent people who died from opioid overdoses when it was outside the White House. Can you imagine how he would have mocked a memorial to crack deaths?

Trump praises opioid overdose memorial slated to open outside White House in April

flotusopioid.jpg

VAPearl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
76,015 1,895 280
Alleybux
You actually have to be from DC to get why Marion Barry is so highly regarded in DC in the black community. My coworker who is a native broke it down to me. He is responsible for most of the black middle class in PG county by creating government job opportunities for teens back in the day. He created the summer youth program, and many folks that was in this program are still employed with the government today making high salaries.

To outsiders all they see is a politician that was caught smoking crack, but despite of his short comings he did a lot for the black community in DC during his term.
Yep those who did not live there and were not there will never understand just like white folks can never understand black folks... you had to have been there.

Last edited:

Eddie Burke

Donkey Killer
Reaction score
Reactions
5,566 847 2,459
Alleybux
yup, i personally know folks that are 3rd and 4th generation in DC and things like summer jobs for teens were a big deal.

the black teen unemployment rate is like more than 50%. and didn't two black teen males get arrested by some white cops for selling water in DC? smdh

You can thank the minimum wage and other regulations for killing jobs that teens normally use to have.

I'm happy to hear that Marion was able to get government jobs for a few AAs. Not exactly a long-term solution for things that need to get done.

Eddie Burke

Donkey Killer
Reaction score
Reactions
5,566 847 2,459
Alleybux
All of this! Marion Barry's efforts allowed Blacks in DC to get money including making some Black folks millionaires. Marion Barry's drug issues is a small bump in the road for one of the most brilliant politicians this country has ever seen. Lastly, had Marion Barry been White he would've been President.

Name me the last mayor to become POTUS.

Shameful 666

Slits Wrists
Reaction score
Reactions
53,384 3,743 4,525
Alleybux

My father is from D.C. and loves this man.

sundaybest

AbundantlyAmazing
Reaction score
Reactions
236,809 11,972 10,199
Alleybux
You can thank the minimum wage and other regulations for killing jobs that teens normally use to have.

I'm happy to hear that Marion was able to get government jobs for a few AAs. Not exactly a long-term solution for things that need to get done.
Have YOU implemented a long term solution?