Lonzo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,608 3,799 1,295
Alleybux
Conan was on the air in '94?

giphy.gif

Conan O'Brien replaced David Letterman on NBC's Late Night in 1993 when David Letterman started the Late Show on CBS.

Conan O'Brien was an unknown who was known by Lorne Michaels as a witty writer. Conan always wanted to be a talk show host and they took a chance on him. He almost flopped and was about to be cancelled. They say Jay Leno's father dying saved him because they didn't want to fire him at the same time Jay Leno was dealing with that lost. Conan was getting short term renewals (13 weeks at a time) and eventually built his audience and became very popular.

Last edited:

KNTY 4 NEWS

ain’t no hold ‘em
Reaction score
Reactions
247,090 4,357 2,393
Alleybux
Where I hear what at? Tichina and Martin? Its literally been known or a known rumor. I think they dated during Martin around season 3. I could be wrong. They weren't together long if they did...
Yeah I think he and Tichina dated briefly in an earlier season. I remember him saying how hard it was to crack jokes on her because she’s so beautiful. They also played husband and wife in “Wild Hogs”

DoughGal

Realhotg$rl
Reaction score
Reactions
12,925 357 88
Alleybux
Yeah I think he and Tichina dated briefly in an earlier season. I remember him saying how hard it was to crack jokes on her because she’s so beautiful. They also played husband and wife in “Wild Hogs”
When did he say that?

DoughGal

Realhotg$rl
Reaction score
Reactions
12,925 357 88
Alleybux
I honestly don’t believe him and tichina dated or tisha. He possibly had a crush on both at times though.

PinkRage

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
Reactions
77,132 1,447 628
Alleybux
I love Tisha. I really do.

But…..

She’s so.. childlike and extra AF. All. The. Time. Lol. It’s why I like her though. She is consistent.

Whole video I just kept wishing she would close her legs. Lol.

7E175DBB-03FC-46C7-834D-7EE43A9CA390.jpeg

The chemistry between Martin and Tisha has always been intense to me. That ain’t my business though. I only showed up for the laughs. Only learned what really (allegedly??) happened between them a couple years ago.

strawberryanise

Not Quilty!
Reaction score
Reactions
252,143 9,154 877
Alleybux
Conan O'Brien replaced David Letterman on NBC's Late Night in 1993 when David Letterman started the Late Show on CBS.

Conan O'Brien was an unknown who was known by Lorne Michaels as a witty writer. Conan always wanted to be a talk show host and they took a chance on him. He almost flopped and was about to be cancelled. They say Jay Leno's father dying saved him because they didn't want to fire him at the same time Jay Leno was dealing with that lost. Conan was getting short term renewals (13 weeks at a time) and eventually built his audience and became very popular.

P.S. Years later when Jay Leno decided to retire from The Tonight Show, Conan had been assigned to take over as its host. Then, after Conan started hosting, Jay Leno decided to "unretire" and he wanted his old job back. He got away with it.

1624992941876.png

I believe Conan had to sit out for the rest of the season due to a noncompete clause. Then, TBS gave him his own show.

When Jay decided to leave for a second time, the show was handed over to Jimmy Fallon.

DoughGal

Realhotg$rl
Reaction score
Reactions
12,925 357 88
Alleybux
I love Tisha. I really do.

But…..

She’s so.. childlike and extra AF. All. The. Time. Lol. It’s why I like her though. She is consistent.

Whole video I just kept wishing she would close her legs. Lol.

View attachment 2669674

The chemistry between Martin and Tisha has always been intense to me. That ain’t my business though. I only showed up for the laughs. Only learned what really (allegedly??) happened between them a couple years ago.
Lol @shes consistent. I admire her for always being herself. You can tell she doesn’t give a f about what anyone thinks.

PinkRage

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
Reactions
77,132 1,447 628
Alleybux
Lol @shes consistent. I admire her for always being herself. You can tell she doesn’t give a f about what anyone thinks.
Yep. This is why I love her.

I also think her comedic timing is great. She was so funny on Martin and My Wife and Kids.

KelOverKenan

KelOverKenan did the thing
Reaction score
Reactions
251,417 7,655 2,236
Alleybux
P.S. Years later when Jay Leno decided to retire from The Tonight Show, Conan had been assigned to take over as its host. Then, after Conan started hosting, Jay Leno decided to "unretire" and he wanted his old job back. He got away with it.

View attachment 2669682

I believe Conan had to sit out for the rest of the season due to a noncompete clause. Then, TBS gave him his own show.

When Jay decided to leave for a second time, the show was handed over to Jimmy Fallon.

Ew Jay had pull like that? I thought he was hated

DoughGal

Realhotg$rl
Reaction score
Reactions
12,925 357 88
Alleybux
Man they moved my thread now i wont get any tea. :(

beachwaves

Side-Eyeing You Heauxs Like My Girl Leti
Reaction score
Reactions
5,947 356 173
Alleybux
Just came to say Martin was FINE AF during seasons one thru three/early 4 until them drugs started kicking in.

DoughGal

Realhotg$rl
Reaction score
Reactions
12,925 357 88
Alleybux

Am i tripping or did tisha call martin baby in that blooper at 2:51? Idk if that means anything but just an observation.

Lonzo

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
42,608 3,799 1,295
Alleybux

Okay, Leno never "unretired." NBC made the deal with Conan when they were afraid he would leave for ABC or Fox. They told Leno he'd get five more seasons and they would move to Conan who was the hot host for the younger demographic. But when it came time to make the switch, Leno never wanted to go. But he didn't have a choice.

But ABC was trying to get Leno to do a show with them, and they were going to move Jimmy Kimmel to 12:35 AM so Jay could do 11:35PM. NBC did not want Leno to go to ABC, and their primetime schedule was in the tank anyway (I think their biggest scripted hits at the time were the Office and Law & Order SVU and their only top 20 total audience rated show was Sunday Night Football) and late night was one of their most profitable parts of the company, so they decided to just put Jay Leno on at 10PM Monday through Friday. The Jay Leno Show flopped, and affiliates were threatening to pre-empt the show, all the while Conan O'Brien was performing worse against David Letterman than Jay Leno had been with the total audience which might have been exacerbated by the low ratings Jay Leno was getting diminishing the NBC evening audience who might have left the TV on NBC for the news and Tonight Show.

So after tens of millions of dollars of investments in the shows and the $45 million Conan buyout, NBC fired Conan and put Jay Leno back on the Tonight Show. The only win NBC got out of this was putting Jimmy Fallon on Late Night, which for several years looked like a big win for NBC.

View attachment 2669682

Understand something about Jay Leno. He NEVER quits. He has nothing in his life but his cars, his wife, and performing. He would never give up the Tonight Show without being forced out.

After four years back on the show, Leno's ratings were softening, especially against in the 18-49 year old demo. NBC realized they could get better numbers with Jimmy Fallon. So they fired Jay Leno. And after seeing Leno's weakness, and knowing ABC was secure with Jimmy Kimmel (they moved his show from 12:05 to 11:35), and knowing Fox had no desire to work with Leno, they didn't mind letting Leno walk.

They moved Jimmy Fallon up to the Tonight Show, hired Seth Meyers to do Late Night, and Jimmy Fallon dominated in the ratings. Then Letterman retired (Letterman was an actual case of the artist deciding it was time to go) and CBS hired Stephen Colbert. Fallon was winning, until the unthinkable happened; Donald Trump was elected President and Fallon was too nice to lampoon Trump. Meanwhile, Colbert's whole stick was political comedy went all in on Trump and Colbert has been the top late night show for the last four years.

Conan was well compensated during the time he couldn't do a TV show. It wouldn't have been feasible for him to get a show on the air quickly anyway. TBS was a choice no one expected. He probably made less money and had a lower budget, but I guarantee Conan was able to do the show anyway he saw fit. The truth is he made a mistake not going to Fox around 2004/2005. Conan probably could have gotten the same deal Letterman got with CBS; completely creative control and ownership of the series. But Conan trusted NBC. Conan should have learned the lesson from Letterman that you never trust NBC. But Conan, like Letterman, was loyal to the company that gave him his shot as an unknown.

Shikorina

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
47,662 1,522 996
Alleybux
i remember about two years ago when martin and tisha saw eachother at some tribute for martin and he lit up. The energetic martin came out.

This is what I don’t get! How you gonna sue his ass for xesual harassment, which ended the show and now it’s all good and you’re hugging him like he’s your long lost brother??

CatchThesehandsHOE

Material Girl...lol not really
Reaction score
Reactions
22,819 551 268
Alleybux
This is what I don’t get! How you gonna sue his ass for xesual harassment, which ended the show and now it’s all good and you’re hugging him like he’s your long lost brother??
Because he continued to harass her after she decided to stop their affair, I'd imagine that would make for a very uncomfortable work environment. Yesterday feelings are not today's feelings, Martin needed to move on.

Last edited: