Quantcast

Math and Culture

emmygirl1231

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Hi! I am going to be (hopefully) starting as a middle school math teacher come fall. I want to expose the kids to as many different cultures as possible. The only way I can really think of doing this is bringing in different members of the community from various cultures and how they use math in their job/why math is important.. I want to continuously make my classroom an open and safe place to discuss the world and the differences among all humans. I just want to help inspire and get these kids interested in the world and be able to not only accept but love differences for what they are. Anyone have some unique ways that they have used to do so, and possibly connect it to math topics?

MistressNae

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
366,750 7,937 4,305
Alleybux
Black STEM groups usually have out reach programs for kids.

Try looking into them, you will usually find AA, African and Caribbean blacks in those groups such as NSBE.

Umm, if you were in the DMV I’d say reach out to the CIA and FBI, they like speaking to kids. They also like getting them for high school internships so they can get clearances since college kids and adults struggle with getting the higher end clearances.

Kishonte

General Manager
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
22,158 373 102
Alleybux
That sounds like such a cool idea OP. I loved math growing(not as sharp as I used to be), I would've have loved something like this.

Buffalo Butt

Ultimate Gobbler
Reaction score
Reactions
235,556 14,429 4,441
Alleybux
This would be a nice idea, would your school allow this?

I agree with looking into outreach programs.

it’s nice to see such a passionate teacher.

hellonurse!

Adm1n put me on timeout for shipping Taylor Travis
Reaction score
Reactions
48,677 1,921 1,516
Alleybux
Try incorporating statistics as much as you can because lots of industries use this

And as someone pointed out, STEM camps, especially for girls who want to code

LizzyBennett

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,720 465 104
Alleybux
I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but depending on the population you teach and the school district's view on high stakes testing, you are going to find that the kids are so far behind that "extras" and more fun things will be more difficult to do because you are going to be spending so much time teaching the foundational math.

I teach middle school math, 6th and 7th grade mostly. Occasionally, I teach 8th grade. I get very few kids on grade level. Many are on 2nd grade, 3rd grade levels.

I try to use more projects, usually art inspired since my background is design. The thing about choosing supplemental lessons is that you have to make sure you target the standards. If you don't, when students are tested for their state exams they won't be able to apply their knowledge to test like questions.

I hope that helps.

emmygirl1231

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Black STEM groups usually have out reach programs for kids.

Try looking into them, you will usually find AA, African and Caribbean blacks in those groups such as NSBE.

Umm, if you were in the DMV I’d say reach out to the CIA and FBI, they like speaking to kids. They also like getting them for high school internships so they can get clearances since college kids and adults struggle with getting the higher end clearances.

Thank you, I will! :) And that is really cool, would have loved an agent to come in when I was in school, good information about the internships!!!

emmygirl1231

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Try incorporating statistics as much as you can because lots of industries use this

And as someone pointed out, STEM camps, especially for girls who want to code

Great idea with the statistics! I really think that would help students connect the two. The idea of getting girls interested in coding is amazing, I loved it in HS, but I feel like if we get kids into it even earlier would make a difference. My niece is in a stem robotics program and it's so cool what she can do at just 11, even with legos in general. Thank you! :)

emmygirl1231

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I hate to be a Negative Nancy, but depending on the population you teach and the school district's view on high stakes testing, you are going to find that the kids are so far behind that "extras" and more fun things will be more difficult to do because you are going to be spending so much time teaching the foundational math.

I teach middle school math, 6th and 7th grade mostly. Occasionally, I teach 8th grade. I get very few kids on grade level. Many are on 2nd grade, 3rd grade levels.

I try to use more projects, usually art inspired since my background is design. The thing about choosing supplemental lessons is that you have to make sure you target the standards. If you don't, when students are tested for their state exams they won't be able to apply their knowledge to test like questions.

I hope that helps.

Not a negative Nancy at all, I appreciate the input! Do you create your own projects or can you point me in the direction of some resources? :) I hope I have a bit of flexibility. I just want to create an environment that my students can grow and become better learners and people. Who knows how the classes will even be set up come fall, so it may be near impossible to do anything aside from the standards. Thank you!

limitless

up and away...
Reaction score
Reactions
29,335 237 42
Alleybux
Real world applications: voting/elections, creating budgets, having to read a pay stubb and make sure it is correct so u get all your money!!
math is important in my job because I work witha lot of sales data

Best of luck with your class OP!