Maurice Benard(Sonny GH) teasish

Cersei L

Don't want my $hit to get soggy
Reaction score
Reactions
125,611 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
I was reading this thread on reddit

And several people made interesting comments. All I will say is, it makes sense. How the show is so centered and panders to Maurice/Sonny. How three of his leading ladies abruptly left. Two came back only if they were to play different characters. Just another disappointment with a HW actor I actually liked.

This comment was made

Never, MB pulls the strings which is why Sonny is made out to be a saint. And the writers just let him. It's the same reason why Michael hating Sonny for killing AJ ended so abruptly, it was because Maurice didn't like Sonny being written as the bad guy.

And this bs that Carly's a great mom is something I have never bought into, she chose to bring her children into the mob life and they've all been put in danger because of it. Shot, blown up, kidnapped.

The halo that they give to CarSon is why I gave up on GH. It's just way too much, hell Carly's the reason we have that loser Peter which is even worse.

and it opened the floodgates.

Oh my lord. I feel as though I’ve been summoned. True story. I had to delete a twitter account in 2016 because I asked Maurice Bernard about the rumors of him not liking Sean Kanaan and Ted King were true leading to their characters leaving. He was rude, his fans started sending death threats, tried to dox me, so I just deleted the account. The rumors I always heard about Ted King were that MB was super jealous that his character was popular/getting storylines, so he pushed for him to get written out/lose to Sonny. Sean Kanaan was a bit of that plus he’d gained weight after rehab, so FV wrote him less and less, so he chose to leave. Also, why is Micheal Easton playing doctors? Because when he played McBain- who could come back now and is a needed character- MB and allegedly Steve Burton were jealous. Honestly, I think Steve left because JFP offered him a deal where he could still live in Memphis and work in CA. As soon as she got fired, he left. Roger Howarth was actually supposed to allegedly play Valentin but MB nixed that too. The network brass think Sonny is the reason GH is popular. When Ron Carvalti wrote less Sonny, MB complained and rallied his fans to complain. He threatened to leave too. So now he basically gets what he wants. So we have this GH. Which is coasting on the good acting he did in the 90s.

He's notorious for sending fans after anyone who criticizes him. And I loved Alcazar when he was on, he was cool yet had a certain sophistication to him, he made Sonny enjoyable because of the mob war between Alcazar and the Corinthos'. And a part of me does believe MB nixed the character due to jealousy, but him calling the shots backstage has gotten worse and worse. He's got such a fragile ego that he can't allow for anyone to be popular or for his character (The drug pushing, pimping Mobster) to be painted as a bad guy.

I've never heard of an actor complaining about being a bad guy; for Godsake one of Days Of Our Lives' most popular characters was a bad guy from when he debuted to when he died and I never heard any complaints from him. Hell look at Becky Herbst (Liz) she's gotten horrible writing that trashes her character, hell she was even fired once and she's still here, and I haven't heard about any complaints or string pulling from her.

And he still throws shade at Rob because he had thr nerve to allow for other characters to be put on the front burner. MB knows the show is bad but does be care? No cause he knows people are still gonna watch. Does he care his string pulling is making the show insufferable? No because peoole are still watching

Oh definitely. It’s why Ted King left GH and will never go back. It’s also why Sean Kanaan was screwed by the writers this last run. Also, why when they did the OLTL crossover, suddenly a plot about John McBain having a sister that was killed by Sonny was shoed in.... but SURPRISE!!! Sonny didn’t kill her! Nooooo not Sonny. And why the show whitewashes Sonny’s past. Also, have you ever noticed that for a long while, every new female had to become Sonny’s love interest?

And it’s why Roger Howarth and Micheal Easton- whom have huge bases- were cast in unpopular roles. Roger was supposed to be Valentin Cassadine. Micheal Easton was supposed to be an FBI agent type character. Maurice threatened to quit. They were scared because Steve Burton DID quit when they paired John McBain and Sam. Even though he actually hates Kelly Monaco irl. The only women Steve has ever liked that he’s been paired with are Becky and Kimberly.

Maurice walked off set the first time around the time they first paired Sonny and Carly. He didn’t want them to be paired. He walks off for days at a time when he doesn’t agree with the story. He also threatened to quit when Sonny was put in prison for killing AJ. He doesn’t like Sonny looking bad. He will threaten to quit for anything. He’s literally a child who throws tantrums, which is why you’ll hear no current actor speak badly about him. At least not publicly

I had the “pleasure” of getting into an argument with him over twitter where he sent his stans at me. I was then contacted and befriended someone whom I’ll never reveal. I had to make a new twitter acct and keep it secret. But I did make a very good friend.

Yeah. It was a literal shock to me because I actually respected the guy at first for working with a mental illness and doing great work. But the ego is too much for me tbh. And yeah. He’s literally almost as bad as Brian Frons with killing that show. They should just let him quit and deal with the Facebook fans freaking out for a few days.

Cherish

Where the tea at?
Reaction score
Reactions
212,841 5,562 2,337
Alleybux
Early 2000's GH was the Sonny-Carly-Jason show. It was so bad and sickening. I use to be a Sonny fan a long time ago.

Cersei L

Don't want my $hit to get soggy
Reaction score
Reactions
125,611 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
Early 2000's GH was the Sonny-Carly-Jason show. It was so bad and sickening. I use to be a Sonny fan a long time ago.

I loved Sonny during the 90's when he was the underdog but he just took over GH. A part of me knew but I am just surprised that MB is such a diva

Lola Slayona

Therapy Couch Supporter Since My LSA Debut.
Reaction score
Reactions
10,827 37 23
Alleybux
Wow!! Thanks for the afternoon GH tea! @DDC get in here girl but I'm sure you probably know about this tea already. I'm going to read this again it's interesting and says a lot about what happened to these popular characters.

County4Life

Somewhere with Remy.
Reaction score
Reactions
492,916 7,539 2,270
Alleybux
All of this is truth. I used to be on SOC and TWOP. They told it all about antics at GH.

He's a damned diva and took over the show. The Snarly crap turned a LOT of fans off. Sarah Brown did the best she could with such a toxic character and it worked because of her talent. After she left, that character should've been killed off.

GH became the Sonny/Snarly/Jason show.

MB is well known as having input on storylines as well as changing other folks stories too.

I believe it about ME. Michael Easton is charismatic as hell and a hit on every show he goes to. But he's always been lowkey and about his money.

soul sun love

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
214,694 2,515 318
Alleybux
I believe it. He tries to act like he doesn't have any power but the proof is in the pudding that he wants to be the lead but also doesn't want his character to be hated. It really does ruin a lot when we are told how dangerous Sonny is, but also how great him and carly are. I think him and the carly actress stand in the way of Michael growing into his own. Donna exist all because Maurice wanted to Honor a late makeup artist but he couldn't even make Sonny seem interested. I think he was involved in dragging out the Mike story because it got Sonny some sympathy.

The show needs to tell him he can get with the program or get lost. the show went on without Steve and it can go on without him

Reaction score
Reactions
12,745 291 279
Alleybux
The Sonny character had its charm but I agree the show overall has been ruined by always making him look like the good guy at the expense of other characters.

You can pretty much predict how things will go even for other characters based on how much they love or hate Sonny.

adventuregirl

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,581 354 29
Alleybux
I stopped watching years ago. I remember some fans labeling them (Sonny, Carly and Jason) as the unholy trinity.

binks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,364 1,277 493
Alleybux
I like sonny but I hate how the show is centered around him and his family. There is no reason for him to be the center of this show, he can be an essential part but not the main part. A lot of great characters was lost, potential storylines was dropped and the founding families that made GH is a mere shadow of themselves.

I knew sonny was getting whitewashed when he was deemed a “good mobster” because he doesn’t run guns, drugs or women....da fu£k? How are you a kingpin and have money like that but you aren’t involved in those things?e5 I knew GH was on some sh•t then writing wise. The 90s and early 2000s was the last glory days of GH. Honestly if it is canceled I wouldn’t be surprised, besides don’t ABC wants to nix all their soaps (they did OLTL and AMC) eventually.

And I can confirm about the SB rumors of fellow soap fans telling me he is mean and Arrogant

Makeupfanatic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,968 1,003 186
Alleybux
I'm not shocked, and it has ruined GH. Honestly the show was better when they were writing Sonny to a minimum we need a break from the mob.

County4Life

Somewhere with Remy.
Reaction score
Reactions
492,916 7,539 2,270
Alleybux
The show had a chance to make a change with how popular Johnny and Ethan became.

Perfect time to make a change to attract younger viewers. Maxie/Johnny had all the makings of Carson but actually good.

But noooooo.

The Sonny/ Snarly/Jason mess had to go on.

GH used to be my fave. But I gave up a long time ago. The treatment of Brenda to prop Snarly, the never ending Sonny crap, I just didn't care anymore.

Wldflwr

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
34,650 1,708 320
Alleybux
I stopped watching in the mid 2000’s because of the constant Sonny Jason and Carly storyline.

They should’ve by now had Jason regain his memories of being a Quatermaine before they completely let that family fall the way it did.

Sonny never lost to anyone and when he killed AJ without any repercussion is when I stopped watching. I caught it when I could. Another storyline that I couldn’t stand was them giving Sonny a white sister and she was annoying. They never played to his heritage. That was only done briefly when he married Lily.

When Brenda came back and the storyline involved something inappropriately happening with Sonny son just really tore down all the history that Brenda and Sonny shared.

I think the only thing that has saved GH was the other characters and how people from the past would come back. You had a connection to them if you watched in the 80’s and 90’s. The espionage with the Quatermaine’s and their annual Thanksgiving dinner, the hospital drama, The Cassadines, and then the drama that happened with the other characters was written in such a way that no one person took over the show. Even when Luke and Laura came back the focus just wasn’t on them. Sonny is aging out and he is no Victor Newman. I love Sonny character but it’s been ridiculous how GH turned out to be.
I remember how they Friday cliffhangers actually used to be cliff hangers.

Legacy characters was thrown out as yesterday trash just to appease Sonny. That’s why I’ve completely tuned out this show and watch for nostalgia purposes the old episodes from when I was a kid. The writing was so much better.

Cherish

Where the tea at?
Reaction score
Reactions
212,841 5,562 2,337
Alleybux
When Sonny let Michael get shot instead of his little girlfriend I was 100% done with the character. His character should have been kilt off tbqh.

County4Life

Somewhere with Remy.
Reaction score
Reactions
492,916 7,539 2,270
Alleybux
I stopped watching in the mid 2000’s because of the constant Sonny Jason and Carly storyline.

They should’ve by now had Jason regain his memories of being a Quatermaine before they completely let that family fall the way it did.

Sonny never lost to anyone and when he killed AJ without any repercussion is when I stopped watching. I caught it when I could. Another storyline that I couldn’t stand was them giving Sonny a white sister and she was annoying. They never played to his heritage. That was only done briefly when he married Lily.

When Brenda came back and the storyline involved something inappropriately happening with Sonny son just really tore down all the history that Brenda and Sonny shared.

I think the only thing that has saved GH was the other characters and how people from the past would come back. You had a connection to them if you watched in the 80’s and 90’s. The espionage with the Quatermaine’s and their annual Thanksgiving dinner, the hospital drama, The Cassadines, and then the drama that happened with the other characters was written in such a way that no one person took over the show. Even when Luke and Laura came back the focus just wasn’t on them. Sonny is aging out and he is no Victor Newman. I love Sonny character but it’s been ridiculous how GH turned out to be.
I remember how they Friday cliffhangers actually used to be cliff hangers.

Legacy characters was thrown out as yesterday trash just to appease Sonny. That’s why I’ve completely tuned out this show and watch for nostalgia purposes the old episodes from when I was a kid. The writing was so much better.

I am the same.

I stay watching Youtubers who have my fave supercouple Jax and Brenda as well as old school episodes.

GH has run ish into the ground. I am amazed the show is still on.

binks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,364 1,277 493
Alleybux
And I agree they need to kill the Carson crap. That ship has been force to sail for too damn long for no reason. They can try to cram it down our throats but Carly will NEVER be the love of sonny’s life she just deals with him. Carson will never get super-couple status like Brenda and Sonny. So they just need to quit it, their breakup and makeup is more comical than romantic.

Besides, Carson was at its best when Tamara and Sarah was in the role. Laura just doesn’t have chemistry with Maurice, Laura had better chemistry with Roger (Franco) and Ingo (Jax).

they just need to give Sonny his walking papers so he can sail in the sunset with Brenda

Cherish

Where the tea at?
Reaction score
Reactions
212,841 5,562 2,337
Alleybux
Carson is very forced. The only version of Carson I actually liked was Sarah's Carly. Sonny and Carly are toxic but at this point they deserved each other. Keep his ass away from Brenda.

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,051 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
I wouldn't hold my breath if I were that jaylee poster since this bµllsh!t has been going on since he hung AJ on that meat hook. She should save her sanity and stop watching like many of us did years ago once we realized that these pathetic HW/EP thought that Sonny, the roided goiter, and that snaggletoothed slore were the heart of the show.

Oh, and the majority of this was spilled on the TWOP board years ago with ME/RH being the only fresher information. And no, I'm not surprised at all that the roided goiter took his ball and ran over to another show since ME/KM reuniting onscreen was an undeniable reminder that they had more chemistry talking about the weather than that funky-smelling wet mop known as JaSam. KM knew it, too, since that was the first time that I saw her alive on that show since her character was dragging everyone that she ran into.

bornfree1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,031 1,404 2,730
Alleybux
The show writers and execs are dumb for following along. I have no sympathy for these fools. What does he have on them? I think he uses his bipolar disorder to force them to keep him. Letting him go would seem like discrimination and open them to lawsuits potentially.

But it's been obvious from jump that Sonny/Carly shouldn't have been smashed together. He got Sarah Brown on board and had her ask the hire ups to pair them and then he went about sabotaging Sean Kenan's AJ. Damn shame because it ruined the epic triangle of AJ v. Jason which is what the story should have been.

MB's wife ruined his Brenda storyline cuz of their obvious connection...I mean. It's why Lily was brought on in the first place and they tried desperately to trash Brenda's character but it didn't work cuz VM has a strong fanbase and we weren't having it!

Part of me thinks that Carson mimics MB's real life relationship in many ways. I know that Lily did but I think Carly is more, especially the relationship (aside from the hoin'g around). Meaning, how he would throw bar ware around at her, calling her names, having manic outbursts, etc. I think this is why he fights to keep the image because he's telling his story through the show.

Wldflwr

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
34,650 1,708 320
Alleybux
They missed their chance with making Carly and Jadon a couple when Sarah played Carly. That’s the only Carly I acknowledge. Tamara did a good job but Sarah was Carly. Also they fumbled that comeback when she came back as Claudia. I started watching again when she came back until they made it pathetic

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,051 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
I knew sonny was getting whitewashed when he was deemed a “good mobster” because he doesn’t run guns, drugs or women....da fu£k?

Which is hilarious because that's how he was introduced on the show, as the sleazy strip club owner/low-level runner who kept a teenage girl addicted to drugs so that she would remain his number one stripper:
f314fb7a85b1afa1c26e2745238b05c1.jpg

Were not for his pairing with Brenda (the real MVP), he'd have gone the way of Joe Scully, Olivia Jerome, Frank Smith, and whatever other mobster villains came and went.

Cherish

Where the tea at?
Reaction score
Reactions
212,841 5,562 2,337
Alleybux
I remember being so damn mad when they had Carly "cheat" on Jason with Sonny. We were sooo close to getting Jarly. All of those years of her chasing Jason and doing the most and it ends like that? Worst decision putting Carly/Sonny together.

County4Life

Somewhere with Remy.
Reaction score
Reactions
492,916 7,539 2,270
Alleybux
They missed their chance with making Carly and Jadon a couple when Sarah played Carly. That’s the only Carly I acknowledge. Tamara did a good job but Sarah was Carly. Also they fumbled that comeback when she came back as Claudia. I started watching again when she came back until they made it pathetic

Claudia and Nikolas had chemistry to me.

Again, another potential pairing ruined by the Sonny fixation.

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,051 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
I remember being so damn mad when they had Carly "cheat" on Jason with Sonny. We were sooo close to getting Jarly. All of those years of her chasing Jason and doing the most and it ends like that? Worst decision putting Carly/Sonny together.

Blame it on the roided goiter's increasing influence on who got cast as his love interest. For some reason, he thought that his character was too good to be paired up with the snaggletoothed slore (even though both pigs rolled in the same mud) and figured that he was more deserving of 'purer' characters like Robin and Liz (who both deserved far better than him, but I digress).

Reaction score
Reactions
12,745 291 279
Alleybux
The show had a chance to make a change with how popular Johnny and Ethan became.

So true! They refuse to pass the baton to the new generation so all the millennial aged characters (Lulu, Maxie, and etc) are languishing in tired after thought storylines.

Cherish

Where the tea at?
Reaction score
Reactions
212,841 5,562 2,337
Alleybux
Blame it on the roided goiter's increasing influence on who got cast as his love interest. For some reason, he thought that his character was too good to be paired up with the snaggletoothed slore (even though both pigs rolled in the same mud) and figured that he was more deserving of 'purer' characters like Robin and Liz (who both deserved far better than him, but I digress).
Well damn. LMAO

bornfree1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,031 1,404 2,730
Alleybux
Who's the snaggletoothed slore??? Lol

bornfree1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,031 1,404 2,730
Alleybux
Tamara never should have been Carly. She would have been better as another character, a model with Deception honestly.

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,051 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
They just threw her out like trash. Keesha and Rachel from OLTL were the only black girls on ABC daytime. I didn’t watch AMC or Loving or Port Charles.

Elise Neal had a minor part on Loving (or was it The City?) and there was Taylor on AMC (until they annihilated her character for Noah and Julia), but yeah, ABC's track record with young Black heroines was terrible in the 90s.

As for Keesha, not only did they not give her character the triangle between the two Qs, they made her a non-factor after Jason's head hit that tree. Oh, sure, they paired her with AJ (which she had great chemistry with), but they ruined that, too, and decided that there wasn't enough room for young heroines. :disdain