Quantcast

Maurice Benard(Sonny GH) teasish

Reaction score
Reactions
4,520 52 6
Alleybux
I HATED that ugly critter. Putting him with Maxie?

Yeezus Krist.

Her and Johnny had serious chemistry.

But nooooo. I had to suffer that hideous Muppet with my Maxie.

GH used to have me cursing at the TV.

To be fair, they never pulled the trigger on Johnny/Maxie b/c that was during the time any male character in that age range had to be OBSESSED with Lulu. Dillion, Milo, Spinelli, Logan, Johnny...all of them were trailing after Lulu and ignoring Maxie at one point (sometimes all at the same time.)

And I hate how the Unholy Trinity ruined GH. GH has lost so many talented leading men (Scott Clifton, Brandon Barash, Rick Hearst, Ted King, Jason Thompson, Nathan Parsons, Sean Kanan,and Jonathan Jackson just to name a few) b/c they chose to cater to SB and MB and now that they have aged like bananas and their characters are stagnant, they have no one with any history on the show to pass the baton to.

There was a time in the late 90's/early 2000's when you could make the argument that they were overwhelmingly popular but not anymore. They are polarizing now, with just as many fans hating them as enjoying them. And given that they are polarizing, they (allegedly) have too much power. Word on the curb is that the reason Wes Ramsey (Peter) has job security and Maxie stuck in a horrible pairing w/him despite the majority of fans hating his character and wanting him written out and the pairing ended pretty much since his debut is because he's dating Laura Wright in real life.

StormStokes

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
60,273 2,369 107
Alleybux
For sonny to have so much say in the writing I wish he would have gotten sonny and Brenda a better story line the last time she was on contract? Vanessa and Maurice are close friends in real life. She is also friends with Steve.

ericandrehotpac

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,340 648 216
Alleybux
So true! They refuse to pass the baton to the new generation so all the millennial aged characters (Lulu, Maxie, and etc) are languishing in tired after thought storylines.

And the older crew is ignored or used as props sparingly. This GH has zero consistency unless the fandom is geared towards the holy trinity popularity.

bornfree1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,031 1,404 2,730
Alleybux
For sonny to have so much say in the writing I wish he would have gotten sonny and Brenda a better story line the last time she was on contract? Vanessa and Maurice are close friends in real life. She is also friends with Steve.
The reason Sonny and Brenda broke up had some to do with MB wife being uncomfortable about their paring.
From what I heard MB wife was on set the entire time of her return. There was no way they were going to put them together again.

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,052 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
The reason Sonny and Brenda broke up had some to do with MB wife being uncomfortable about their paring.
From what I heard MB wife was on set the entire time of her return. There was no way they were going to put them together again.

So, out of all of the women that he's been with onscreen (not-Emily, Kate, clucking chicken Alexis, snaggletooth slore, Sam and the wannabe Brendas), his wife was only pressed about Brenda?

StormStokes

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
60,273 2,369 107
Alleybux
I’m talking about when Vanessa came back in 2010/2011. Vanessa told GH she would not come back unless her and sonny got married and GH knew Vanessa only signed a short term contract. The storyline started out solid and then went to the dogs. Maurice made it clear in an interview that he and Vanessa didn’t like the storyline that much but did the best they could with it. Soaps have moved past the steamy xes scenes and at that time sonny had 3 kids and other stuff happening so I didn’t understand why GH went through all that to promote brendas return only to let the story die the way it did, even if maurice’s wife did have an issue with Vanessa. The writing literally made no sense.

Last edited:

bornfree1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,031 1,404 2,730
Alleybux
So, out of all of the women that he's been with onscreen (not-Emily, Kate, clucking chicken Alexis, snaggletooth slore, Sam and the wannabe Brendas), his wife was only pressed about Brenda?
Apparently according to gossip. Who knows for sure.

None of other other pairings were as popular as Sonny and Brenda, not even Sonny and Carly. Plus it was rumored his wife thought MB was cheating with VM (I have my own thoughts about that but no proof, all gossip).

StormStokes

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
60,273 2,369 107
Alleybux

None of other other pairings were as popular as Sonny and Brenda, not even Sonny and Carly. Plus it was rumored his wife thought MB was cheating with VM (I have my own thoughts about that but no proof, all gossip).
Didnt Vanessa and ingo (Jax) Date for a while? I know she dated Tyler Christopher (nikolas) for a long time

Cersei L

Don't want my $hit to get soggy
Reaction score
Reactions
125,611 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
I’m talking about when Vanessa came back in 2010/2011. Vanessa told GH she would not come back unless her and sonny got married and GH knew Vanessa only signed a short term contract. The storyline started out solid and then went to the dogs. Maurice made it clear in an interview that he and Vanessa didn’t like the storyline that much but did the best they could with it. Soaps have moved past the steamy xes scenes and at that time sonny had 3 kids and other stuff happening so I didn’t understand why GH went through all that to promote brendas return only to let the story die the way it did, even if maurice’s wife did have an issue with Vanessa. The writing literally made no sense.

It's like they have some weird Stockholm Syndrome when it comes to Carly/Sonny and Jason. It's like they refuse and are afraid to let go of this trio. Even though they have long past their expiration date. Nobody is able to get within this trio. It weird and it has truly ruined GH.

Sonny and Carly have had 50-11 weddings and children and their popularity has never reached the magnitude of Sonny and Brenda.

I think it's because Sonny and Brenda went against classic soap opera tropes. Even in regards to their breakup. It was different and fans loved and received that.

bornfree1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,031 1,404 2,730
Alleybux
Why have soaps moved past steamy xes scenes? What's the point anymore lol?? Dafuq.

But yeah, fans complained about Guza and it might have been why he was fired. Guza ruined that wedding, but let's be honest the whole show by then was a hot mess. The writing stiff and terrible nothing like it was under Labine.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,835 20 4
Alleybux
Why have soaps moved past steamy xes scenes? What's the point anymore lol?? Dafuq.

But yeah, fans complained about Guza and it might have been why he was fired. Guza ruined that wedding, but let's be honest the whole show by then was a hot mess. The writing stiff and terrible nothing like it was under Labine.

Well, the writing is the key issue. A lot of it is just the soap landscape is COMPLETELY different than the '90s. Less people watch soaps and the attention span of the audience has shrunk. In the '80s and '90s a storyline would go on for 9 months..now it might be 2 weeks. So S&B just had incredible writing and a bigger audience, but the writers also made characters likable and you rooted for couples. Characters have no depth anymore...even the ones that have been around for 20+ years (like Sonny). VM always jokes she can't believe how much the fans still love Brenda when she was really only on the show consistently for 6-years.

I loved all the flashbacks leading up to the S&B reunion in 2010, but the end was terrible. Also, VM's acting was a little odd...can't explain it.

I remember reading somewhere that VM was originally going to leave in '97 with Mo after the wedding, but then changed her mind at the last minute so they had to change the storyline to Sonny leaving her. No idea how true that is!

StormStokes

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
60,273 2,369 107
Alleybux
I loved all the flashbacks leading up to the S&B reunion in 2010, but the end was terrible. Also, VM's acting was a little odd...can't explain it.

I think Vanessa either going through IVF or was pregnant and had a miscarriage around this time. I can’t prove it but I remember she Said was desperately trying to gain weight but had thyroid issues and she said Steve was trying to give her tips on what to eat. I also remember she did some sort of fan event or fundraiser and someone said she looked pregnant on a message board. The mod removed the comment, which I thought was odd at the time. Later when Vanessa divorced carmine giovinazzo it came out that she had 2 miscarriages and it ruined their marriage. Her and carmine divorce was finalized in 2013 but they were married when she was on GH

ETA: I found the source. She was on GH from August 2010 until July 2011. her and carmine married in july 2010 and the divorce was finalized in 2013. A news source stated that carmine wrote on twitter that vanessa had 2 miscarriages in 2011. she must have been pretty far along because the pregnancy announcement was on soap central:

https://www.soapcentral.com/gh/news/2011/0623-marcil_pregnant.php

the full story of how vanessa struggled to have another child was published too: Vanessa Marcil Suffers Seventh Miscarriage - CSI: NY Star Loses Baby Girl

Last edited:

sppa125

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
742 26 1
Alleybux
This is what I've read in the past: VM was going to leave at the same time as MB, but changed her mind last minute when they proposed the break down story, thus signed another year. However, the break down story proved to be too much and she asked for it to be cut short.

I read that the plan for S&B had VM stayed back then was that Sonny was to get amnesia on their honeymoon. Does anyone else remember reading that?

2010, a lot of what ended up as that Balkan story during that whole return got rewritten because VM did not want to play the original idea of Dante being the father of Brenda's son, which is what Guza had planned. Remember he originally wanted Franco involved too, but VM was only interested in working with her past co-stars. The whole story had to be changed, and Guza probably ruined Brenda on purpose after that for turning down his story idea and then leaving.

Cersei L

Reaction score
Reactions
125,611 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
This is what I've read in the past: VM was going to leave at the same time as MB, but changed her mind last minute when they proposed the break down story, thus signed another year. However, the break down story proved to be too much and she asked for it to be cut short.

I read that the plan for S&B had VM stayed back then was that Sonny was to get amnesia on their honeymoon. Does anyone else remember reading that?

2010, a lot of what ended up as that Balkan story during that whole return got rewritten because VM did not want to play the original idea of Dante being the father of Brenda's son, which is what Guza had planned. Remember he originally wanted Franco involved too, but VM was only interested in working with her past co-stars. The whole story had to be changed, and Guza probably ruined Brenda on purpose after that for turning down his story idea and then leaving.

And Guza was fired right after VM left.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,551 250 24
Alleybux
NtUF3y3.png

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,052 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
Soaps have moved past the steamy xes scenes

tenor.gif

Why?

That's one of the main reasons why people tuned in in the first place.

If it's because the lead actors are too old and out of shape to do them, that's when the younger actors should step in to do their part.

StormStokes

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
60,273 2,369 107
Alleybux
tenor.gif

Why?

That's one of the main reasons why people tuned in in the first place.

If it's because the lead actors are too old and out of shape to do them, that's when the younger actors should step in to do their part.
well the scenes are just gross now-like sonny and ava had xes in the quartermaine crypt on AJ's(?) grave. that was beyond raunchy and stupid.

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,052 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
well the scenes are just gross now-like sonny and ava had xes in the quartermaine crypt on AJ's(?) grave. that was beyond raunchy and stupid.

I don't know who Ava is, but I can't imagine that she has enough self-respect to not hook up with Sonny on AJ's grave (as an aside, I still can't believe that they're disrespecting that man over a decade after he was killed off).

You mean none of these people can direct or write a love scene similar to S&B's? Isn't that what they're hired to do in the first place?

Reaction score
Reactions
1,835 20 4
Alleybux
Every scene is so fast now (about two minutes), that I think most of soap couples have zero chemistry so any love scene just doesn't have the same impact of S&B.

SarahCameron

no time for logical fallacies
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
100,244 5,801 4,193
Alleybux

i know it’s a soap opera and all but holy sh!t that was sooo gross. it’s so obvious they did it as a way to “stick it” to aj.

binks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,364 1,277 493
Alleybux
Wasn’t there lowkey tea of MB being prejudiced/bias towards having a BW paired with his character :disdain I know I read that someone before but can’t find it now

Reaction score
Reactions
4,551 250 24
Alleybux
Maurice complains in his book about SnB love scenes at the time, he wanted less so he could look like a "serious actor."

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,052 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
Wasn’t there lowkey tea of MB being prejudiced/bias towards having a BW paired with his character :disdain I know I read that someone before but can’t find it now

The lady that played Lainey
kent-masters-king.jpg

(I know it's been repeated on here, but I can't remember the original source of it, either.)

LaGrandeDame

Where Surry County Lives
Reaction score
Reactions
244,052 6,062 2,385
Alleybux
Maurice complains in his book about SnB love scenes at the time, he wanted less so he could look like a "serious actor."

tumblr_melcsppz2t1qlhqe5o1_400.gif
@ "serious actor". Well, that explains why he's been doing that tragic Tony Soprano impression since Lucky "died" in that fire.

Sounds like he's under the impression that he became popular because of his thespian skills and not because he was half of an extremely popular couple.

luvbig97

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
55,794 427 88
Alleybux
I'll be back later to read, but this is true....MB runs GH, it's been talked about for years on the blogs. This is why I had to take my leave..too much scummy all of the time.

I loved Alcazar and was said to see him go, as well as OG A.J, now i hear Todd is leaving (Roger H..for some reason I can't remember his gh name) ugggg, i miss old school soaps...I still record GH every day, but I just go in and delete them all.

binks

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,364 1,277 493
Alleybux
I'll be back later to read, but this is true....MB runs GH, it's been talked about for years on the blogs. This is why I had to take my leave..too much scummy all of the time.

I loved Alcazar and was said to see him go, as well as OG A.J, now i hear Todd is leaving (Roger H..for some reason I can't remember his gh name) ugggg, i miss old school soaps...I still record GH every day, but I just go in and delete them all.
Yeah GH had some great actors and actresses it’s sad they underutilized them or put them on the back burner or gave them crappy storylines. Roger talented was criminally wasted in this show as well as Michael Easton too. I agree with the font that said I give this soap 2 years top before cancellation.

Wldflwr

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
34,650 1,708 320
Alleybux
They dropped the freaking ball when they added Roger on their. He could’ve continued being Todd Manning and teaming him up with Nickolas or included in the Quatermaine drama. Even Billy Miller. He’s a really good actor who could’ve been bigger on there. It’s like they need to fire all there writers and the executive producer and get some black writers and an executive producer in their to get that show to be so much better. It would have more representation.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,551 250 24
Alleybux
They dropped the freaking ball when they added Roger on their. He could’ve continued being Todd Manning and teaming him up with Nickolas or included in the Quatermaine drama. Even Billy Miller. He’s a really good actor who could’ve been bigger on there. It’s like they need to fire all there writers and the executive producer and get some black writers and an executive producer in their to get that show to be so much better. It would have more representation.
Billy was never going to survive there. Maurice and Laura never truly accepted him as Jason. He went there to work and not necessarily to mingle with them and drink the koolaid of the show, and those two didn't like that. Once Burton was fired from YR, he immediately called Maurice and the rest is history.

Kelly tried her all mighty best to hold onto her fµck buddy but he basically got fired in the end. She goes through her scenes like she's in a permanent coma anyway.

Cersei L

Reaction score
Reactions
125,611 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
Ugh bµllsh!t scenes like this that tried too hard to paint Sonny as a victim and sell SnC

YouGotTheLook

Unmatched Through Time
Reaction score
Reactions
44,185 1,094 191
Alleybux
Ugh bµllsh!t scenes like this that tried too hard to paint Sonny as a victim and sell SnC

As much as he loved her,(and he did! Carly is an aberration that will. Not. Die.) I think, in some ways, Sonny resented her. She made him lose focus, he acted irrational towards her.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,835 20 4
Alleybux
The only good thing that came from Brenda's return in 2002 was the Amazing Grace montage. This moment is one of my top soap moments.

Lexie DiMera

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,879 289 34
Alleybux
This thread is so good lol. I remember years ago Laura’s Carly did an interview where she said the writers wanted to pair her with nikolas cassadine and she thought that would be fun. But the writers decided that she had to “play around with Jason and Sonny”. That stood out to me because it’s obvious that she and the other actors don’t like where GH has headed.

If I can find the interview, I’ll link it. I haven’t watched GH in years but I tuned in recently last week and it was still the Sonny show.

Cersei L

Reaction score
Reactions
125,611 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
This thread is so good lol. I remember years ago Laura’s Carly did an interview where she said the writers wanted to pair her with nikolas cassadine and she thought that would be fun. But the writers decided that she had to “play around with Jason and Sonny”. That stood out to me because it’s obvious that she and the other actors don’t like where GH has headed.

If I can find the interview, I’ll link it. I haven’t watched GH in years but I tuned in recently last week and it was still the Sonny show.

I am waiting for a think piece to release discussing how these two ruined the show.

Crow T Robot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
34,110 810 63
Alleybux
Hey, wasn't he behind the Sonny/NuEmily relationship? I think I recall him defending that bµllsh!t from the fans who hated the pairing.

Crow T Robot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
34,110 810 63
Alleybux
yup! him and his wife liked it, if i remember correctly.

Okay, because that was one of the storylines that made me walk away from the show altogether. The relationship so gross and problematic, seeing that Sonny has known Emily since she was little girl.

Add this to the ever growing list of ways Maurice has ruined the show.