Quantcast

Medical Coding and Billing

Lula Belle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,910 498 344
Alleybux
There’s always jobs in my area, however the part that’s the issue is they want 3+ experience and CCS certificates.

I have sat for both; CCS missed by 4 points, didn’t retake as it was too expensive and no retakes. CPC passed first time, but let it expire as I was working in another field. CPC did NOT get me any coding opportunities; everyone wanted CCS.

I live in GA and most people I know complain that they can't find a job in billing and coding. Plus, Miller Motte and Virginia College are just producing a lot of graduates in a short amount of time, which is probably the reason why the field is saturated here.

mee9mee9

a crinkle on earth
Reaction score
Reactions
109,950 6,123 2,206
Alleybux
I don't think it will have an effect on how charts are coded/billed. I think insurance coverage/premiums and reimbursement will be the main things targeted. Less coverage/higher premiums means less people going to the doctor & less money for facilities so they may have to charge more/lay off people to recoup losses.
how would the field change if everything was automated?

Lula Belle

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,910 498 344
Alleybux
So the field is limited because of that....

I believe so....they started outsourcing to private companies, but then those private companies started downsizing as well. I have a friend that is in billing and coding and this is what she tells me. But, I also work for a major hospital system in the southeast and they only have about 5 coders on staff.

ManolosAndManicures

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,183 1,413 268
Alleybux
In my (nearby) city, there must be a demand for it, because the local free technical school is offering it as one of its programs for people in need of work training. My friend from high school went there for a few months, and had a job right away at one of the more sought after health care companies in the city. She likes her job and was able to work from home after only a few months.

ManolosAndManicures

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,183 1,413 268
Alleybux
ETA: she was a teacher and had to quit for medical reasons. She went into it with zero healthcare experience, and they hired her right out of school.

Kaylaxx

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Did you take the test for the cpc certification? I am going to take it in December. Damn, now I’m really nervous lol
Yes that's what I took. You will do great I'm sure. Make sure you bring some snacks in a zipllock bag, something to drink. I used that 1 minute sand timer (the ones that area in board games lol) to make sure i answered the questions within the 2 minute time frame lol. Tab your book really good and go from easiest chapters then the hardest. I went from hardest to easiest which was the dumbest mistake i could do because I spent a lot of time on those questions... Oh and process of elimination!