Quantcast

Meet Gary, The Meowntaineering Rescue Cat

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,586 4,864 254
Alleybux
Instagram is full of awe-inspiring photos of travelers and influencers showing off stunning views from their journeys. However, as influencers copy other influencers, the photos can get repetitive and uninspiring. That, or maybe you're just tired of seeing those picture-perfect models posing in every shot. If that's the case, then this Instagram account is just for you!

Meet Gary, a 5-year-old rescue kitty that has one of the best social media accounts out there. He's not just any floof-ball posing for cutesy photos, this cat is a true adventurer who loves hiking, paddling and meowntaineering. And after taking a peek at his gallery, you might feel a tingling sense of envy, as this feline has better vacations than most of us.

Bored Panda has reached out to Gary's owner for an interview and he shared some exciting details about the kitty. "Gary really likes our adventures, and I work really hard to make sure he's always happy and comfortable," said James, Gary's owner and social media manager. He revealed that Gary's introduced to new activities slowly, so the cat has time to adjust to them on his own terms. "I've created a bit of a monster though because if I don't take him out enough, he sits at the door and meows," James explained.

By-MbtkJoyI-png__700.jpg

Bz5nuieJRIm-png__700.jpg

When asked how Gary joined their family, James revealed that it was actually his partner's actions that led to them adopting Gary. "The reason she picked him out was because he had suffered the same injury as his dog-brother Duke at the same age and they were a matching pair," he elaborated. "They both had broken left hips and underwent a femoral head osteoectomy as treatment [which means that] the head of his femur was removed and his left hip joint is now just tendon and muscle, instead of bone," the man detailed. For that reason, the kitty can't jump very high but is otherwise completely normal. Also, Gary's name while in the shelter was apparently Bruce (after Bruce Wayne)!

B1OklFvgIkA-png__700.jpg

B0V6o9bpvUt-png__700.jpg

The 29-year-old communications professional also revealed how Gary's Instagram page came to life. When he and his partner moved to the Canadian Rockies where the family currently resides, James was unemployed and decided to start Gary's account "as a way to maintain a social media presence while [he] looked for work in my field". Gary's popularity and following came as an unexpected, but pleasant surprise.

BzQY7_QJFtj-png__700.jpg

B0TXnqDpF8Z-png__700.jpg

"We only started adventuring with Gary recently," James explained. "He showed a keen interest in going outside and even escaped once so we decided to harness train him after we moved," he added. The choice was obvious, as not only could traffic outside be dangerous, but there are other hazards lurking outside. "There's a lot of predators like bears, wolves, coyotes and birds of prey in our area and it's unsafe to have free roaming cats," the owner elaborated. He also said that getting Gary in a harness also protected small mammals and songbirds from ending up being the cat's prey.

Byfan02perW-png__700.jpg

B1q4POPp43x-png__700.jpg

"As he got more comfortable on a leash, we began to go on bigger adventures," the owner elaborated on the jumpstart of Gary's adventures. The family started small, with their yard and local parks, and then moved to bigger ventures, going on full hikes in the mountains. "This summer, we've branched out into paddleboarding and kayaking, camping, and even meowtaineering when he walked on the toe of a glacier!" James seemed enthusiastic about his cat's adventures.

B0LiSjdJAh0-png__700.jpg

B1BwbGhJnXe-png__700.jpg

@3x DinnerRolls
@A. Leviathan
@abacuss
@adlaads
@Ai Weiwei
@airforcechele
@Allthistrash
@Amanda Woodward
@Ameerah
@Anagogic
@AoTLBG
@apocalipton
@aquilo
@Arristance
@Ashy Larry
@Baby gloss bomb knowles
@Bad Eleanor
@Beautifullefty
@Bella Sofia
@BIANCA JAGGER
@Bidoor
@BillieJeanDab
@BillieOcean
@BOHO GODDESS
@bonitaapplebum
@boogie79
@BootsOnThat
@brandy716
@Brave One
@buela
@Camille Bordey
@caramel15
@CaribbeanQueer
@CeCe24
@Coco Campbell
@CranberryJuice
@Crunchy Nipples
@CUPCAKKE
@curlyheadheffa
@DaBrokeHomieTre
@daybreaks bell
@Deedricka
@Delilah
@Demeter
@dianiah23
@dollparts
@echolily
@Elamef
@elvynn
@Endrance
@EST1989
@FactChecker
@ForeverAlone
@FridaKahlo
@G A Z
@GalaxyQueens
@Gigiangel
@goddessx
@GrtGzu
@GummyBearJuice
@Haitian1
@Hatshepsut
@Hexa
@HotDamn
@HowsItGoinDown
@I Love Lucie
@InBloom
@Incokneegrow
@InjoyLelo
@inmydreams
@Jodie Landon
@Johnny2X4
@Juelz
@Kelenerz
@Kiku
@KittyKins
@kotd
@LadyJess
@LanaThaGod
@LANEZZZ
@LazyDaisy
@LegalizeRanch
@Lema3
@Leona Helmsley
@LIMONADE
@Locitita
@Logan Forrester
@loopymane
@Meeow
@MiaSong
@misspeanut
@MissShawna
@MissSmith
@mosaic
@Moxy
@Mrs. Curly Fu
@MrsJeremyMeeks
@Ms Elle Driver
@MsGemstone
@MyKnee Hurtin
@MysteriousMW
@Nabelle40
@nahh
@Nan Chalant
@Nana Peazant
@nomad
@NYOTA UHURA
@O.o
@Olenna Tyrell
@O S I C H
@originalwharris
@OrganizedJen
@Peg
@Petrichor
@Phoenix27
@PhoenixEternal
@PisVirRis
@Pizzana
@PlatinumGold
@Pluck
@ProprioBella
@Queenshawtii
@raramama
@RedLippedBandit
@RespeckIt
@Rere84
@S E N T I E N T
@ShadySaditty
@shebasmudder
@Shivasafai
@SnipYoFlap
@SolaceEcho7
@SpaceMermaid13
@Starbuck
@Sunshine22
@Sweet __T
@Sydney Bristow
@Tahitian Moon
@Teranga21
@theaa
@Thighs
@ThingsNStuff
@ThotWings
@TruestLovely
@TwirlOn
@tyronebiggums
@uhluhyonce
@UrFavoriteLatte
@VINTAGE
@walkify2015
@wecarealot
@wezy2005
@williams86
@X I U
@Yonce_Tears
@You_See_It
@ZSA

Last edited:

Elamef

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
5,905 260 64
Alleybux
Looks like Gary is living the nice rescue life over there. The scenery in those photos looks peaceful.

Meeow

-`ღ´•┈••✦ ꕥ ✦••┈-• `ღ´-
Reaction score
Reactions
167,586 4,864 254
Alleybux
"It's taken several months but Gary's finally figured out the point of hiking trails and now whenever he sees one, will follow it," the owner detailed the hikes with his kitty. Unfortunately, even though it makes walking with Gary easier, it also had an unforeseen downside - it's now difficult to stop and take photos with the cat. As for what happens when the pet gets tired? James explains that Gary has a way to communicate that as well: "When he gets tired of walking, he'll stop and meow at my feet so that I'll pick him up and carry him - he likes to ride on my shoulders but we also have a backpack he will ride in as well". Turns out, Gary likes to take occasional naps inside the backpack! Now that's surely a luxurious way to travel.

B1oVZyeJWcD-png__700.jpg

B0qhmgDJ6fU-png__700.jpg

B1bfokXHHyn-png__700.jpg

ByXlI2xJPqA-png__700.jpg

B0izA5XJJTk-png__700.jpg

B1tepA5J950-png__700.jpg

More info:

Gary is so handsome in that goggles, so cute!!!

GoodTrouble

DRACARYS....
Reaction score
Reactions
620,751 54,408 225
Alleybux
"It's taken several months but Gary's finally figured out the point of hiking trails and now whenever he sees one, will follow it," the owner detailed the hikes with his kitty. Unfortunately, even though it makes walking with Gary easier, it also had an unforeseen downside - it's now difficult to stop and take photos with the cat. As for what happens when the pet gets tired? James explains that Gary has a way to communicate that as well: "When he gets tired of walking, he'll stop and meow at my feet so that I'll pick him up and carry him - he likes to ride on my shoulders but we also have a backpack he will ride in as well". Turns out, Gary likes to take occasional naps inside the backpack! Now that's surely a luxurious way to travel.

B1oVZyeJWcD-png__700.jpg

B0qhmgDJ6fU-png__700.jpg

B1bfokXHHyn-png__700.jpg

ByXlI2xJPqA-png__700.jpg

B0izA5XJJTk-png__700.jpg

B1tepA5J950-png__700.jpg

More info:

Gary is so handsome in that goggles, so cute!!!

He’s so handsome and living a better life than me! Lol

Solace7

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,883 1,535 459
Alleybux
Instagram is full of awe-inspiring photos of travelers and influencers showing off stunning views from their journeys. However, as influencers copy other influencers, the photos can get repetitive and uninspiring. That, or maybe you're just tired of seeing those picture-perfect models posing in every shot. If that's the case, then this Instagram account is just for you!

Meet Gary, a 5-year-old rescue kitty that has one of the best social media accounts out there. He's not just any floof-ball posing for cutesy photos, this cat is a true adventurer who loves hiking, paddling and meowntaineering. And after taking a peek at his gallery, you might feel a tingling sense of envy, as this feline has better vacations than most of us.

Bored Panda has reached out to Gary's owner for an interview and he shared some exciting details about the kitty. "Gary really likes our adventures, and I work really hard to make sure he's always happy and comfortable," said James, Gary's owner and social media manager. He revealed that Gary's introduced to new activities slowly, so the cat has time to adjust to them on his own terms. "I've created a bit of a monster though because if I don't take him out enough, he sits at the door and meows," James explained.

By-MbtkJoyI-png__700.jpg

Bz5nuieJRIm-png__700.jpg

When asked how Gary joined their family, James revealed that it was actually his partner's actions that led to them adopting Gary. "The reason she picked him out was because he had suffered the same injury as his dog-brother Duke at the same age and they were a matching pair," he elaborated. "They both had broken left hips and underwent a femoral head osteoectomy as treatment [which means that] the head of his femur was removed and his left hip joint is now just tendon and muscle, instead of bone," the man detailed. For that reason, the kitty can't jump very high but is otherwise completely normal. Also, Gary's name while in the shelter was apparently Bruce (after Bruce Wayne)!

B1OklFvgIkA-png__700.jpg

B0V6o9bpvUt-png__700.jpg

The 29-year-old communications professional also revealed how Gary's Instagram page came to life. When he and his partner moved to the Canadian Rockies where the family currently resides, James was unemployed and decided to start Gary's account "as a way to maintain a social media presence while [he] looked for work in my field". Gary's popularity and following came as an unexpected, but pleasant surprise.

BzQY7_QJFtj-png__700.jpg

B0TXnqDpF8Z-png__700.jpg

"We only started adventuring with Gary recently," James explained. "He showed a keen interest in going outside and even escaped once so we decided to harness train him after we moved," he added. The choice was obvious, as not only could traffic outside be dangerous, but there are other hazards lurking outside. "There's a lot of predators like bears, wolves, coyotes and birds of prey in our area and it's unsafe to have free roaming cats," the owner elaborated. He also said that getting Gary in a harness also protected small mammals and songbirds from ending up being the cat's prey.

Byfan02perW-png__700.jpg

B1q4POPp43x-png__700.jpg

"As he got more comfortable on a leash, we began to go on bigger adventures," the owner elaborated on the jumpstart of Gary's adventures. The family started small, with their yard and local parks, and then moved to bigger ventures, going on full hikes in the mountains. "This summer, we've branched out into paddleboarding and kayaking, camping, and even meowtaineering when he walked on the toe of a glacier!" James seemed enthusiastic about his cat's adventures.

B0LiSjdJAh0-png__700.jpg

B1BwbGhJnXe-png__700.jpg

@3x DinnerRolls
@A. Leviathan
@abacuss
@adlaads
@Ai Weiwei
@airforcechele
@Allthistrash
@Amanda Woodward
@Ameerah
@Anagogic
@AoTLBG
@apocalipton
@aquilo
@Arristance
@Ashy Larry
@Baby gloss bom
@Bad Eleanor
@Beautifullefty
@Bella Sofia
@BIANCA JAGGER
@Bidoor
@BillieJeanDab
@BillieOcean
@BOHO GODDESS
@bonitaapplebum
@boogie79
@BootsOnThat
@brandy716
@Brave One
@buela
@Camille Bordey
@caramel15
@CaribbeanQueer
@CeCe24
@Coco Campbell
@CranberryJuice
@Crunchy Nipples
@CUPCAKKE
@curlyheadheffa
@DaBrokeHomieTre
@daybreaks bell
@Deedricka
@Delilah
@Demeter
@dianiah23
@dollparts
@echolily
@Elamef
@elvynn
@Endrance
@EST1989
@EvaPeron
@FactChecker
@ForeverAlone
@Freja
@FridaKahlo
@G A Z
@Gigiangel
@goddessx
@Gone Girl
@GrtGzu
@Haitian1
@Hatshepsut
@Hexa
@HotDamn
@HowsItGoinDown
@ibiteback
@I Love Lucie
@InBloom
@Incokneegrow
@InjoyLelo
@inmydreams
@Jodie Landon
@Johnny2X4
@Juelz
@KeeblerJointz
@Kelenerz
@Kiku
@KittyKins
@kotd
@LadyJess
@LanaThaGod
@LANEZZZ
@LazyDaisy
@Lema3
@Leona Helmsley
@LIMONADE
@Locitita
@Logan Forrester
@loopymane
@Meeow
@MiaSong
@misspeanut
@MissShawna
@MissSmith
@mosaic
@Moxy
@Mrs. Curly Fu
@MrsJeremyMeeks
@Ms Elle Driver
@MsGemstone
@MyKnee Hurtin
@MysteriousMW
@Nabelle40
@nahh
@Nan Chalant
@Nana Peazant
@nomad
@NYOTA UHURA
@O.o
@Olenna Tyrell
@O S I C H
@originalwharris
@OrganizedJen
@Peg
@Petrichor
@Phoenix27
@PhoenixEternal
@PisVirRis
@Pizzana
@PlatinumGold
@Pluck
@ProprioBella
@Queenshawtii
@Rainah
@raramama
@RedLippedBandit
@RespeckIt
@Rere84
@S E N T I E N T
@ShadySaditty
@shebasmudder
@Shivasafai
@SnipYoFlap
@SolaceEcho7
@Starbuck
@Sunshine22
@Sweet __T
@Sydney Bristow
@tadaaaa
@Tahitian Moon
@Teranga21
@theaa
@Thighs
@ThotWings
@TruestLovely
@TwirlOn
@tyronebiggums
@uhluhyonce
@UrFavoriteLatte
@VINTAGE
@walkify2015
@wecarealot
@wezy2005
@williams86
@X I U
@Yonce_Tears
@You_See_It
@ZSA
He's living all 9 of his best lives simultaneously.

I'm hating...

Last edited:

Solace7

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,883 1,535 459
Alleybux
Cuteness! My cats and I could/would neva. They do like to travel.

I tried to leash train my cat. Every time I put it on she'd roll onto her back, hit a starfish formation, and give me an icy ass death stare until I'd stop with what she considered to be "the bµllsh!t".

It worked. I gave up.

The Culture

News Alley

Ask LSA

Top Bottom