Quantcast

Megan Thee Stallion on female rap: “They're going to have to put my name up there with the OGs”

Santigold

ᴄᴏʟᴅᴇʀ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴛɪᴛᴀɴɪᴄ ᴡᴀᴛᴇʀ.
Reaction score
Reactions
705,270 30,573 3,181
Alleybux
Megan Thee Stallion has made herself a household name in a short amount of time, and she’s aiming to be mentioned alongside the rap greats.

In a new cover story for Harper’s Bazaar, Megan sat down to talk about her goals for the future among other topics. The Good News-creator revealed that she made it a goal two years ago to become a household name within five years, and with that already achieved she’s set her sights on the future.

As Megan spoke on the way Houston is “throbbing” with culture-influencing art, the icons of her city “roll off her tongue,” Lauren Michele Jackson writes. “Slim Thug, Bun B, Paul Wall, Z-Ro, the S.U.C. … BeatKing.”

Meg continued from there: “I feel like when it’s all said and done, when people want to talk about female rap…they are definitely going to have to put my name up there with the OGs.”

She’s already featured on a No. 1 song, “WAP” with Cardi B, but first and foremost she considers herself a rapper over a pop star. “Rap will always be my heart,” she said. “That’s really what I love to do.”

Elsewhere in the profile, she spoke about how her debut album Good News came together, recording most of it in her living room. “I feel like I was tested,” she said, “and I’ve passed.” She also teased that her next record will feature one of her patented personas. “My next project, I’m not going to tell you all who it’s going to be, but she got something,” she added.

Alongside her music career, Thee Stallion has also been studying health administration at Texas Southern, taking online classes. “I cannot wait, I’m going to have the biggest graduation party,” she said of nearing the end of her degree. “But when all of this happened,” she reflected about the pandemic, “I’m like, ‘Wow, so nobody is going to see me walk across the stage?’”

The “Body” and “Cry Baby” artist also found time to balance her courses with press junkets leading up to and following her album release. “This semester, I was like, ‘Four classes, let’s go,’” Megan said. She’s on track to graduate this fall and has shared her plans to open an assisted living facility in her in Houston.

Ahead of the Grammys, where she has four nominations including Best New Artist, she admitted she’s feeling at peace instead of anxious. “This is the calmest it’s ever been, but it was crazy for a long time,” she revealed, referring to her impressive time-management. “I like a little chaos in my life. I like to feel like, ‘Oh my gosh, I have to do this.’”

Read the full Harper’s Bazaar cover story here.

Megan Thee Stallion Says When All Is ‘Said and Done’ Hip-Hop Will ‘Have to Put My Name Up There With the OGs’

ETNRando

97% Sure you hate me, 100% sure I don't care
Reaction score
Reactions
2,535 17 6
Alleybux
Megan Thee Stallion has made herself a household name in a short amount of time, and she’s aiming to be mentioned alongside the rap greats.

In a new cover story for Harper’s Bazaar, Megan sat down to talk about her goals for the future among other topics. The Good News-creator revealed that she made it a goal two years ago to become a household name within five years, and with that already achieved she’s set her sights on the future.

As Megan spoke on the way Houston is “throbbing” with culture-influencing art, the icons of her city “roll off her tongue,” Lauren Michele Jackson writes. “Slim Thug, Bun B, Paul Wall, Z-Ro, the S.U.C. … BeatKing.”

Meg continued from there: “I feel like when it’s all said and done, when people want to talk about female rap…they are definitely going to have to put my name up there with the OGs.”

She’s already featured on a No. 1 song, “WAP” with Cardi B, but first and foremost she considers herself a rapper over a pop star. “Rap will always be my heart,” she said. “That’s really what I love to do.”

Elsewhere in the profile, she spoke about how her debut album Good News came together, recording most of it in her living room. “I feel like I was tested,” she said, “and I’ve passed.” She also teased that her next record will feature one of her patented personas. “My next project, I’m not going to tell you all who it’s going to be, but she got something,” she added.

Alongside her music career, Thee Stallion has also been studying health administration at Texas Southern, taking online classes. “I cannot wait, I’m going to have the biggest graduation party,” she said of nearing the end of her degree. “But when all of this happened,” she reflected about the pandemic, “I’m like, ‘Wow, so nobody is going to see me walk across the stage?’”

The “Body” and “Cry Baby” artist also found time to balance her courses with press junkets leading up to and following her album release. “This semester, I was like, ‘Four classes, let’s go,’” Megan said. She’s on track to graduate this fall and has shared her plans to open an assisted living facility in her in Houston.

Ahead of the Grammys, where she has four nominations including Best New Artist, she admitted she’s feeling at peace instead of anxious. “This is the calmest it’s ever been, but it was crazy for a long time,” she revealed, referring to her impressive time-management. “I like a little chaos in my life. I like to feel like, ‘Oh my gosh, I have to do this.’”

Read the full Harper’s Bazaar cover story here.

Megan Thee Stallion Says When All Is ‘Said and Done’ Hip-Hop Will ‘Have to Put My Name Up There With the OGs’

"Up with the OG's"

HA! As if.

I have a hard time putting her above Drake or Pop Smoke, how much more Lauryn Hill or 2pac?

Last edited:

Santigold

Reaction score
Reactions
705,270 30,573 3,181
Alleybux
I love her and feels she’s talented but no ma’am.

That's what I was thinking. I like Meg, but she is nowhere near being 'one of the greats'. Not even close. Not when all she talks about is xes.

Melanina

My fragrance on and they love my smell
Reaction score
Reactions
150,013 7,424 2,034
Alleybux
Ummmmm
5972A132-8E50-4588-AF46-CA97D97A94A1.jpeg

We love a confident woman?

Mutha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,081 763 311
Alleybux
Meg, you still got plenty of work to do. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I like the confidence though.
Y'all done hyped this girl way too much. I said it before and I'll say it again, lyrically, she is very mediocre.
very. But people grow, so I hope she does too. Because her songs do bore me. I just like the fact that she’s winning, and out there. No hate. Just needs a tad more depth for me to download.

luckygirl93

Caramel Goddess
Reaction score
Reactions
407,735 21,358 16,214
Alleybux
In order to do that, she needs to talk about other things besides xes and letting a man take her to the mall. All of our rap greats talked about all sort of subjects. Look at Queen Latifah, she never even talked about xes.

confusedBG

ʞɔnq ǝʍ 'ʞɔnuʞ ʎǝɥʇ uǝɥʍ
Reaction score
Reactions
5,424 22 10
Alleybux
i love me some miss meg, but she's reaching here lmao. what has she done to be among the OG's/ the greats? she's not there yet imo. if she truly wants to get there, she should quit focusing on toxic men and focus on her career instead.

thehoneydip

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
126,576 181 46
Alleybux
Not right now but I fully believe she will get there she has the talent the only thing stopping her is her personal life

Mutha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,081 763 311
Alleybux
Controversial opinion but the benchmark for mainstream rap or hip hop is at an all time low.
Lowest I’ve seen. Pure GARBAGE. But I know there are gems out there, but the corny, lame perc, xes bafoonery is charted to the masses so easily.

Brain cells are dwindling.

bluecheesech

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,013 1,011 874
Alleybux
She doesn't have to stop talking about xes because Drake never raps about anything of a higher conscious but if she's going to carry on being a hitmaker then I don't see her longevity. Somebody like Drake is super versatile, she isn't.

bullish af

Well-Groaned Member
Reaction score
Reactions
393,382 11,589 7,232
Alleybux
I really don’t think so...

I don’t think she’s capable of putting out a classic, cohesive, progressive album, but she’s got time to prove herself. She just doesn’t have the flow or content to make me listen to 14 tracks in a row. I do think that it’s time that people accept new future legends emerging and let go(not dismiss or minimize their impact) of their tired top 5 full of people who haven’t been popping in decades.

For example, Lonzo Ball was laughed out of the room for saying Future is in his top 5. He’s not in mine, but honestly why can’t he be??? Who the hell is listening to that garbage Nas put out last year? And they’re calling it album of the year, no it’s not even fµck!ng close.

UnrulySinner

Don’t @ me. I stop reading threads after 24hrs
Reaction score
Reactions
55,860 3,913 3,475
Alleybux
Yeah right.... the way she’s moving, i doubt she’ll make it to the end of this year.

She don't even take her own career seriously.

Jmills

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,314 5,851 2,833
Alleybux
Umm, it's too early in her career for her to think this way. But this is hip hop and we have seen new artists say way worse with way less achievements. I mean,how many rappers have dissed biggie or tupac or said fcuk their music time and time again? Far too many times.

She has a long way to go to think her #1s this summer means she's on their level. Kim didn't get her title bc she had sales and top charting singles. She was a blue print. Salt and pepa had something to say in their music and did things that few have achieved.

JustLivingTv

Fck |Love|Friendship & yo phony apologies
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
97,021 9,671 9,135
Alleybux
This what happens when you fill these whores head up with lies & air.

Meg is a ok artist but she still a freshman and she need to stop her delusional she ain't that great.

All she do is throw her ass around in videos and squat like she on the toilet.

Paola Bracho

♥️ Broke Boys don't Deserve No Pussy ♥️
Reaction score
Reactions
260,882 19,248 2,858
Alleybux
Another Artist who wants the Icon acclaim without delivering us the Iconic music :rolleyes::LOL:

Last edited:

Melanina

Reaction score
Reactions
150,013 7,424 2,034
Alleybux
She doesn't have to stop talking about xes because Drake never raps about anything of a higher conscious but if she's going to carry on being a hitmaker then I don't see her longevity. Somebody like Drake is super versatile, she isn't.
Drake’s whole take care album says hello! Lmao

Melanina

Reaction score
Reactions
150,013 7,424 2,034
Alleybux
yall so miserable. shes talking about the future and her goals, not now.
Even in the future, I wouldn’t compare her to the OGs lmaoo. Have you heard the Good news album? How is tina snow better and that wasn’t even an album? It seems like she’s only declining from there.

Big Nino

I’ll hold a brick for you zaaaaaddy
Reaction score
Reactions
54,360 2,862 2,707
Alleybux
I really don’t think so...

I don’t think she’s capable of putting out a classic, cohesive, progressive album, but she’s got time to prove herself. She just doesn’t have the flow or content to make me listen to 14 tracks in a row. I do think that it’s time that people accept new future legends emerging and let go(not dismiss or minimize their impact) of their tired top 5 full of people who haven’t been popping in decades.

For example, Lonzo Ball was laughed out of the room for saying Future is in his top 5. He’s not in mine, but honestly why can’t he be??? Who the hell is listening to that garbage Nas put out last year? And they’re calling it album of the year, no it’s not even fµck!ng close.

the people that’s in most top 5 rapper list have a career that expands decades..just because they aren’t as visible doesn’t mean they are irrelevant. Those same “legacy rappers” aren’t just hot at the moment and have more than just record sales...they have influence and impact. These new rappers have none of those things. Lonzo ball got clowned because he was a cornball looking for attention giving an opinion that no one ask for when his name holds no weight in hip hop or in sports. I didn’t even know who he was at the time and neither did Nas LOL!!!

bullish af

Well-Groaned Member
Reaction score
Reactions
393,382 11,589 7,232
Alleybux
the people that’s in most top 5 rapper list have a career that expands decades..just because they aren’t as visible doesn’t mean they are irrelevant. Those same “legacy rappers” aren’t just hot at the moment and have more than just record sales...they have influence and impact. These new rappers have none of those things. Lonzo ball got clowned because he was a cornball looking for attention giving an opinion that no one ask for when his name holds no weight in hip hop or in sports. I didn’t even know who he was at the time.

Im not going to put someone in my top 5 if I don’t listen to their music anymore, that’s what I’m really trying to say. I can’t in good conscience say that Jay Z, Nas, Wu Tang, etc get much play in my rotation and some people hold on for way too long acting as if no one who comes after them can ever compete. They’re still legendary, but it is what it is.

Also, I’m not sure you listen to contemporary hip hop if you think Future’s name holds no weight. Future created a whole new lane emulated by hundreds. Even if you don’t like his music, it’s true. Same for Soulja Boy.

Last edited:

Santigold

Reaction score
Reactions
705,270 30,573 3,181
Alleybux
Even in the future, I wouldn’t compare her to the OGs lmaoo. Have you heard the Good news album? How is tina snow better and that wasn’t even an album? It seems like she’s only declining from there.

She declined after Fever for me. Ever since she made it big on TikTok with 'Savage' she's done nothing but put out mediocre songs that she knows will turn into a challenge.

Last edited:

EightiesDoll

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
98,760 17,606 425
Alleybux
She must be manifesting for the future. Meg could be one of the greats if she makes better career and music choices.

The moaning and other cringy adlibs in her songs can go.

lakeluna

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
73,005 1,120 75
Alleybux
No shade to Meg because I don’t hate her or her music but this is why y’all have to stop calling people legends and icons two years into their careers.