Quantcast

Menopausal Ladies of LSA, How Are You Dealing with the Symptoms?

Perrier

SUNKISSED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,613 1,349 183
Alleybux

Thank you!

I will make time to listen to both. I responded because so many keep sharing "one size fits all" remedies and I'd hate for someone who may be wary of their Dr to start doing something that will ultimately hurt them in long run.
You are absolutely right!

This is definitely not one size fit all, and I hope that others don't just blindly follow, but will do the research.

Each woman is different in her needs and need to take that into account along with working with her physician.

I love the videos because it gives me a better understanding of what to ask, what to look for without being totally ill-prepared, and to understand what's going on in my body because a lot of time the info is so vague and not detailed that you have no idea what to do, lol.

Also, thank you for bringing your experience to this thread. Sometimes as women we become so desperate for relief that we might jump on board with anything, and I wouldn't want that.

Last edited:

MrsSamCooke

From the moonlit wilds
Reaction score
Reactions
28,069 1,040 98
Alleybux
Am bumping this highly informative, once featured thread as I'm still trying to figure out whether or not, at age 43 (nearly 44), if I've hit perimenopause (I already put down a brief post about that earlier on this thread).

I thought, perhaps, my bed covers were too warm as some mornings I am waking up sweating to the nines, then I feel clammy, and have to hop in the shower, stat. The interesting thing is, some months back I was detoxing so had cut calories and did not sweat at all during that time.

Anyway, the night before last, I took some wild yam and vitex berry extracts for some menstrual cramping I was having and had NO night sweats. I thought it might have had to do with a change in my pillowcase to 100% bamboo but then I sweated last night while sleeping on it, but did not take the herbs. So now I'm back to thinking the cause is hormonal and that I might be perimenopausal. Of course, wild yam and vitex berry are both natural phytoestrogenic herbs and so help with the related symptoms. They're also ones I used for many years to get a regular cycle again after an illness which led me to being quite underweight and maintain it until I felt confident I didn't need them anymore. I have always kept them on-hand, for the months when I might get more 'PMS-ey' or experience some cramping. So, I'm thinking if I am perimenopausal then I ought to be on them regularly again either by extract or cream. I am an herbalist and quite knowledgeable in nutrition so, at least, I have that going for me too during this time of my life. Heck, I even have a large patch of red clover growing in my garden and a big bagful of dried blooms so there's help all around me here.

I have also been a bit incontinent at times which I know can also by a perimenopausal symptom (I never had that issue postpartum), but that could just as easily be due to my back being thrown (have had this symptom before when my back was out) from all the gardening I did last year (as that is when it started) and not seeing my chiropractor nearly enough since the pandemic began. But that and the night sweats/subsequentclamminess seem to be my only symptoms so far.

I am feeling fatigued a lot, but don't know if I can blame that on hormonal fluctuations as I often overwork myself and don't always get enough rest amid what is a stressful life. I eat a whole foods vegan diet and have pretty much always covered all my nutrient needs for these past 25 years as a vegan (with one hiccup back in my mid-30s due to severe depression and not eating enough) - being careful to supplement with certain, key nutrients which are harder to come by for vegans. I've even increased my protein (due to taking up another form of exercise) and superfoods intake since my recent spring cleanse. I am prone to moodiness anyway so cannot discern if that is a perimenopausal symptom in my case.

I have to admit, after having read over this thread - I felt quite daunted by what may come as to my own symptoms and menopause. I still am. I'm considering going to a local wholistic doctor to have some bloods taken to see where I'm at, hormonally-speaking.

Last edited:

BklynAngel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
105,761 2,053 359
Alleybux
I wasn't clear I was dealing with perimenopause until my cycle stopped (currently 4 months but have symptoms indicating its about to start again). There's always something else it could be.

I've always had bouts of insomnia but thought my night sweats that started about 3 years ago was due to the cheap person I live with refusing to replace the air conditioner.

I'm glad I found this thread so we can navigate together. Too many I know in real life are not examples I want to follow.

Perrier

SUNKISSED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,613 1,349 183
Alleybux
I came across this documentary this weekend called Hot Flash Havoc.

For anyone interested, it gives a lot of information and testimonies of women who use hormones to treat their symptoms and help them minimize risks associated with the loss of estrogen.

It tells how in 2002 there was a flawed study done on estrogen replacement therapy and that's when it was demonized. Up until then it was a saving grace for millions of women and gave them a better quality of life.

Of course, as with anything, there is a percentage of women, that have had cancer or have the cancer gene that HRT is not recommended, and you would know this by checking with your doctor.

It's an hour long, but worth watching if you get a chance. Not a boring documentary at all, and it could answer a lot of questions that you may have in regards to peri and post menopause.

Perrier

SUNKISSED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,613 1,349 183
Alleybux
I wasn't clear I was dealing with perimenopause until my cycle stopped (currently 4 months but have symptoms indicating its about to start again). There's always something else it could be.

I've always had bouts of insomnia but thought my night sweats that started about 3 years ago was due to the cheap person I live with refusing to replace the air conditioner.

I'm glad I found this thread so we can navigate together. Too many I know in real life are not examples I want to follow.
I just had a 4 week bout of sleep issues where I wake up after 4/5 hrs of sleep with a hot flash and then toss and turn the rest of the night.

Just a couple days ago, I have been able to finally get up to 7 hours and I feel so much better.

I also had hot flashes from hell about 4 years ago. I would have a hot flash and then chills every half hour for 4 months straight. It was terrible and I had never heard of such thing, but it eventually passed and now I get a few a day, and a few at night.

CuuntyAunty

I can’t teach you my magic…
Reaction score
Reactions
101,272 5,078 2,953
Alleybux
I itch for no reason. I am constantly hot. It was 40 degrees the other day. I had every window in the house open. My fibroids are still acting up, even though my doctor said they would get better as my menopause progressed. My hair is starting to thin and it feels different. Most noises above low whispers annoy me. Some of my favorite foods taste funny and I don't eat them anymore. I don't know if it's all in my head or not. I am in my 50s.

Sometimes hot tea helps with the itching.

Any tips or tricks on how to cope with this mess using natural (non-prescription) methods?
Red rice yeast supplements may help.

MzTeaze

QueenSupreme
Reaction score
Reactions
58,285 1,366 276
Alleybux
I'm trying out a product that's supposed to help balance your hormones. I need it because so far I'm suffering from joint pain in my shoulder and arm.

BlkRose72

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
140 2
Alleybux
I'm trying out a product that's supposed to help balance your hormones. I need it because so far I'm suffering from joint pain in my shoulder and arm.
May i ask what product are you trying out? I'm also suffering from joint pain in my shoulder and arm. It gets so painfully at times.

MzTeaze

QueenSupreme
Reaction score
Reactions
58,285 1,366 276
Alleybux
May i ask what product are you trying out? I'm also suffering from joint pain in my shoulder and arm. It gets so painfully at times.

It is a product called Female. It does not contain estrogen but works to improve the sensitivity of the hypothalamus (which your body uses to control release of estrogen and other hormones).

https://www.herbdoc.com/female formula

I get my period in a couple of days so we'll see.

BlkRose72

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
140 2
Alleybux
It is a product called Female. It does not contain estrogen but works to improve the sensitivity of the hypothalamus (which your body uses to control release of estrogen and other hormones).

https://www.herbdoc.com/female formula

I get my period in a couple of days so we'll see.
Thanks for sharing! Keep us posted on how it goes with you.

ShadeOfEbony

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
736 27 2
Alleybux
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm 44 and have suffered with fibroids. I have a 4 year old. My cycles were short due to the fibroids, 24-25 days. The last few months they have gotten normal to 28 days. Now I'm late, not pregnant, and thinking I'm perimenopausal. I already take DIM and ashwaganda, thinking of incorporating progesterone cream to keep my libido up.

Pashunce

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,735 283 201
Alleybux
I'm glad I found this thread. I'm 44 and have suffered with fibroids. I have a 4 year old. My cycles were short due to the fibroids, 24-25 days. The last few months they have gotten normal to 28 days. Now I'm late, not pregnant, and thinking I'm perimenopausal. I already take DIM and ashwaganda, thinking of incorporating progesterone cream to keep my libido up.
Does all of that work for you?

Perrier

SUNKISSED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,613 1,349 183
Alleybux
Thank you for this thread OP.

It has been almost a year for me (April 2020) since I had my last menstrual cycle and I thought I was ready for menopause, but for me it has been a nightmare/hell.

A few years ago I started skipping periods and with that came hot flashes that I never knew existed....I got a hot flash every half hour of the day and night followed by being cold. That lasted for months, would go away and then start again. I had about 3/4 cycles of that.

I've had the itching, but it was mostly around my ankles and sometimes my breast, lasted for months, but went away.

I've had breast pain, like when you're pregnant, and had a bout of nausea like when you're having morning sickness.

I went through a spell of my eyes watering for no reason at all.

Last year, before the pandemic, my husband took me to the ER because I had blood pressure that was over 220/100-something. That lasted a few days went away and never happened again.

A few weeks ago, I had a random rash on my left forearm, lasted for weeks and went away.

Right now I'm dealing with foot problems, had calluses and the ball of my feet are so sore, I've resorted to soaking them every night for relief. Never had feet issues before.

I'm also dealing with tingling fingers/toes, they are worse during the night when sleep, but when I move around during the day seems to go away. My right knee has joint pain that's lasted for a few months.

A few weeks ago I had a migraine that lasted 3 days ( or maybe it was sinuses)...these are two things I've never had so I can't be sure, but I was miserable and the pressure behind my eyes were so painful.

Since not having my periods, it seems as though my body is breaking down and every day I'm dealing with something.

I thought my diet of mostly plant based, intermittent fasting, taking herbal supplements would make going through it a breeze, but I am convinced that hormones are so tricky during this time, that by the time you figure out one problem, here comes another. Every time I experience a new symptom I have to convince myself that I'm having a hormonal imbalance and that eases my mind that it's not anything worse.

I've really tightened up on my diet this month, and I make sure I move for 1/2 hour everyday no matter how I feel. I use to look forward to exercise, but it's almost like I'm not motivated, but I do it because I don't want to be a couch potato.

If I went to the doctor every time I had an issue, I'd look like a hypochondriac.

Because of the pandemic I haven't been to the doctor, but I plan on going this summer when it might be safer...with all my menopause issues the last thing I want is covid on top of it.

There is a list of 66 menopause symptoms that a woman can have...I think I've had almost all of them ( a good 60):cry::cry::cry:

66 Peri menopause / Menopause Symptoms you may experience which may help some ladies

Sorry for this long post, but most times women thing that hot flashes are the only symptoms when there are so many more that you may not be aware of.
So I finally saw my doctor and got full panel bloodwork done...hormones, autoimmune, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid, vitamin d, b, liver kidneys, etc. and my blood work can back great.

She said that more than likely my issues stem from post menopause and hormonal imbalances, so I am scheduled to see a doctor that specializes in bioidentical hormones to see if I'm a good candidate.

I am relieved to know that nothing serious was wrong and I had a strong sense that my issues were hormonal related because they'd come and go.

None of my friends and family members that have gone through menopause are on any kind of HRT so I've been trying to educate myself for the past few months.

Perrier

SUNKISSED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,613 1,349 183
Alleybux
Great thread, OP. I am in my 30's, so no menopause yet, but I have to say I am looking forward to it. I will happily take the itching, hot flashes, and mood swings vs. horrific monthly cycles.
Be careful what you wish for hun.

Now that I look back after being in menopause for over a year, the few days of suffering with the monthly was much better than menopause for me and I would pray for menopause to come, lol.

With menopause, I have had dozens of symptoms, intermittently almost daily to the point that you think something is wrong like you're dying or got cancer. I literally haven't had a day when I didn't have a symptom remind me that I was in menopause, but at least when I was pre-menopausal I'd have a few weeks that were good.

My case may be extreme, and you may not experience anything at all...pray for that, lol!

Perrier

SUNKISSED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,613 1,349 183
Alleybux
Does anyone else feel Menopause changes your hair texture?
Not so much the texture for me, but my hair seemed to be thinner like overnight and I believe it was shedding more than usual, so I've started implementing things like black tea rinse, fennel seed spray, black castor oil along my edges and making sure I wear low maintenance styles. I also started taking biotin too.

Up4Anything

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,507 1,020 424
Alleybux
I have been trying maca for the last month and I like it so far. My anxiety is less, my hot flashes have decreased and while I did not get it for xesual health, my libido has increased. Be careful if you have thyroid issues and sensitivity to estrogen but so far, it has been helping me. I also take over 50 vitamins and a cranberry pill every day for utis. Aging is no joke sistahs so I appreciatethis thread! Thank you!

MzTeaze

QueenSupreme
Reaction score
Reactions
58,285 1,366 276
Alleybux

So, about a month and a few days - my period was lighter with ZERO PMS issues. Tomorrow I go for another follow up blood & urine test. I should be able to see and monitor how well my thyroid and hormones are balancing out. But I'm hopeful as I'm starting to look leaner which is always my first indication that my balance is back.

I'm also incorporating:
1) Had to stop taking prescription anti-inflammatory meds as they were destroying my kidney function. My BP was creeping up at the same time. Once I stopped the meds and took steps to clean my kidneys, my BP dropped & my kidney function improved.

2). With no meds, I have to EXERCISE intentionally and change my eating habits to incorporate more Omega-3s, anti-inflammatory foods and limit caffeine.

I'm going to keep going until Oct at a minimum.

As a plus, this stuff has started to reawaken my libido.

BklynAngel

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
105,761 2,053 359
Alleybux
Just had this happen! What are you doing to improve your kidney function? I'm scheduled for test in September but stopped meds after last set of blood work.

MzTeaze

QueenSupreme
Reaction score
Reactions
58,285 1,366 276
Alleybux
Just had this happen! What are you doing to improve your kidney function? I'm scheduled for test in September but stopped meds after last set of blood work.

I did a 5 Day Kidney Detox in July then retested my blood/urine. I got a 12 point improvement (on my GFR) just from my detox which was enough to get me up and over the line that is considered "mild" kidney damage.

Just to be on the safe side, I did a second run at the detox this month. Tomorrow I go for retesting.

sn0yt3

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
484 7 3
Alleybux
I did a 5 Day Kidney Detox in July then retested my blood/urine. I got a 12 point improvement (on my GFR) just from my detox which was enough to get me up and over the line that is considered "mild" kidney damage.

Just to be on the safe side, I did a second run at the detox this month. Tomorrow I go for retesting.
May I ask what the 5 day detox was? I also have kidney damage from anti-inflammatory meds :(

MzTeaze

QueenSupreme
Reaction score
Reactions
58,285 1,366 276
Alleybux

ClassySexyFirst

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,347 2,143 2,431
Alleybux
I have been in perimenopause for about 2 yrs. I went to my GYN and got blood work to find out if I was in perimenopause. I was start on Biote which is HRT but made from yams. Since I have been on it my perimenopause symptoms have stopped and my xes drive has increased. The only thing I am working on now is getting my hair back to normal because I have had hair shedding. I get my Biote pellets inserted every 3 months. It’s the best thing I could have done to combat perimenopause.

Address Hormone Imbalance with Biote Hormone Replacement Therapy
I have also started reading this book that has also help with dealing with perimenopause. It had great information.

These are good tips. I am trying JJ Smith smoothie program but I dont feel it is nourishing enough or satisfying. I hope this book can help.

Perrier

SUNKISSED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,613 1,349 183
Alleybux
Hi my pre menopause and post menopause sisters, hope all is well.

I made a few posts about bioidentical hormone replacement and since those posts, I have been on them for about 4 months.

My experience:

First I went to get my normal blood work done to make sure I didn't have any thyroid, autoimmune disorders, vitamin deficiencies, etc. All my blood work came back fine, so my general practicioner told me that my issues more than likely were hormonal.

She gave me a referral to a bioidentical specialist, and she took blood work to see where my hormone levels were and I was low in everything (estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone).

She started me off on the lowest levels of hormones. She noticed on my initial blood work that my vitamin D levels were on the low end of normal so she told me to take 5,000 mg of vitamin d3 a day. Also, I got a mammogram and told her that my breast are dense and she told me to start taking iodine (Iodoral) to help with the density. She also told me to intermittent fast (which I've always done), start lifting weights, which I had done, but during the perimenopause/menopause phase my motivation was not there, and I told her I was on a plant based diet, which she said is good.

After 3 months, I really wasn't noticing any difference with hot flashes, joint pain, insomina. So she bumped up my dose a notch. I am rubbing a cream of estrogen, test. and progesterone in the morning and at night I take progesterone in pill form.

After she bumped up my dose within a week, I noticed a huge difference! Barely any hot flashes. Mind you, I was have lots of hot flashes daily, now it feels like a hot flash wants to happen at least once a day, but it's not severe at all.

I have been able to sleep 7-8 hours straight. My sleep before the hormones was 3-4 hours on average and I would have a few hot flashes at night, but no more. I am so much more alert and so much more energy during the day.

Joint pain--my fingers were feeling stiff, and I had joint pain in my right knee that ached when I tried to bend. That's gone, I can bend with any pain and the stiffness in my fingers are so much better.

I am now motivated to exercise. I am doing strength training and just ordered a bike to ride in the home because I feel like moving again.

There were a few side effects I had--intially my breast were so sore, that went away after a few weeks, I was having minor cramping like my cycle was coming on with the first prescription. The second prescription after a week, I had a little spotting for a week, which went away, and because she bumped up my testosterone, I had some break outs which she said would happen, but that should work itself out once my body gets adjusted.

I did also gain about 5-10 pounds, I was really small and the extra pounds are fine because I feel so good otherwise. I think the hot flashes kept me 10 pounds lighter, lol!

Sorry for the long post, but overall, I am so happy that I took this route.

ETA: I also had vaginal dryness, which is gone. Before my hormone therapy I started using a cream called Juvla Julva®, and this along with the hormones improved this problem. It's a really good product, helps with leaks, dryness, etc.....a little pricey but 1 tube lasts a while and if you order in bulk, it's cheaper. I started with one tube to make sure I didn't have any reactions, but now I order in bulk to get it at cheaper rate.

Last edited:

Anacaona Taino

I forgot my old tag line...
Reaction score
Reactions
230,364 4,870 1,417
Alleybux
Hi my pre menopause and post menopause sisters, hope all is well.

I made a few posts about bioidentical hormone replacement and since those posts, I have been on them for about 4 months.

My experience:

First I went to get my normal blood work done to make sure I didn't have any thyroid, autoimmune disorders, vitamin deficiencies, etc. All my blood work came back fine, so my general practicioner told me that my issues more than likely were hormonal.

She gave me a referral to a bioidentical specialist, and she took blood work to see where my hormone levels were and I was low in everything (estrogen, testosterone, and progesterone).

She started me off on the lowest levels of hormones. She noticed on my initial blood work that my vitamin D levels were on the low end of normal so she told me to take 5,000 mg of vitamin d3 a day. Also, I got a mammogram and told her that my breast are dense and she told me to start taking iodine (Iodoral) to help with the density. She also told me to intermittent fast (which I've always done), start lifting weights, which I had done, but during the perimenopause/menopause phase my motivation was not there, and I told her I was on a plant based diet, which she said is good.

After 3 months, I really wasn't noticing any difference with hot flashes, joint pain, insomina. So she bumped up my dose a notch. I am rubbing a cream of estrogen, test. and progesterone in the morning and at night I take progesterone in pill form.

After she bumped up my dose within a week, I noticed a huge difference! Barely any hot flashes. Mind you, I was have lots of hot flashes daily, now it feels like a hot flash wants to happen at least once a day, but it's not severe at all.

I have been able to sleep 7-8 hours straight. My sleep before the hormones was 3-4 hours on average and I would have a few hot flashes at night, but no more. I am so much more alert and so much more energy during the day.

Joint pain--my fingers were feeling stiff, and I had joint pain in my right knee that ached when I tried to bend. That's gone, I can bend with any pain and the stiffness in my fingers are so much better.

I am now motivated to exercise. I am doing strength training and just ordered a bike to ride in the home because I feel like moving again.

There were a few side effects I had--intially my breast were so sore, that went away after a few weeks, I was having minor cramping like my cycle was coming on with the first prescription. The second prescription after a week, I had a little spotting for a week, which went away, and because she bumped up my testosterone, I had some break outs which she said would happen, but that should work itself out once my body gets adjusted.

I did also gain about 5-10 pounds, I was really small and the extra pounds are fine because I feel so good otherwise. I think the hot flashes kept me 10 pounds lighter, lol!

Sorry for the long post, but overall, I am so happy that I took this route.

ETA: I also had vaginal dryness, which is gone. Before my hormone therapy I started using a cream called Juvla Julva®, and this along with the hormones improved this problem. It's a really good product, helps with leaks, dryness, etc.....a little pricey but 1 tube lasts a while and if you order in bulk, it's cheaper. I started with one tube to make sure I didn't have any reactions, but now I order in bulk to get it at cheaper rate.
OMG thank you. Not the symptoms I have but I love that you shared this because GP's can be so clerical sometimes and I asked mine 1 time for a vitamin level and he was like NO. What? Jerk.

BootyCookies

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
78,089 2,448 599
Alleybux
How did women back then deal with period cramps? Before medicine I mean. Because oh my god. Would some of them just die? The pain is just so debilitating, I'm thankful for painkillers or I would not be able to function for an entire week. How tf did they survive??

ClassySexyFirst

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,347 2,143 2,431
Alleybux
just be mindful of the amount of exercise you are doing and TYPE - theres a lot of posts on here about working out and when u r perimenopausal that is the last thing the body needs for more stress, i was working out sweating like a pig and my body was like no mam - so i stopped and i started to lose weight focusing on food and hormones. if you must then do weights and listen to your body

MzTeaze

QueenSupreme
Reaction score
Reactions
58,285 1,366 276
Alleybux
I think I'm sputtering towards the end of my period.

I was 5 days LATE this month and dared to tell hubby I think this is it, then uttered the M word. An hour later, my period started.

Attachments

• 780B04D8-38B5-461F-A150-02E851EBF628.gif
    780B04D8-38B5-461F-A150-02E851EBF628.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 10

Perrier

SUNKISSED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,613 1,349 183
Alleybux
I was 5 days LATE this month and dared to tell hubby I think this is it, then uttered the M word. An hour later, my period started.
It took 2 years before it was finally over over for me.

I went through a few times where I didn't have a period for 4-5 months, then it would come
back to back for months, then go a few months without and it went like that for 2 years before it finally stopped.

Last edited:

originalwharris

Jesse's girl (in my head).
Reaction score
Reactions
277,084 21,983 1,048
Alleybux
Mine didn't come for 3 months and I was so happy, then it decided to show up heavier than ever before. Then the next month, it was super light. Then I went two months without it, then it came back heavy. I'm waiting to see what this month brings. I now have 4 different tampon sizes when I only had regular and light before.

MzTeaze

QueenSupreme
Reaction score
Reactions
58,285 1,366 276
Alleybux
Mine didn't come for 3 months and I was so happy, then it decided to show up heavier than ever before. Then the next month, it was super light. Then I went two months without it, then it came back heavy. I'm waiting to see what this month brings. I now have 4 different tampon sizes when I only had regular and light before.

Ugh. I keep delaying my Lola order so that I don't end up with way too many on hand. I'm on the other end though I rarely use regular, go thru Super Plus & Super like water.