Quantcast

Menstrual Cups Discussion Thread

Do y’all use your household pots that you cook in to boil your menstrual cup?

• Yes

Votes: 47 25.7%
  • HELL NO!!

Votes: 84 45.9%
  • I don’t own one but I would never!

Votes: 39 21.3%
  • I don’t own one but I would and I don’t see the issue.

Votes: 13 7.1%

• Total voters

DeviousHunny

<span style="font-style: italic;"><span style="fon
Reaction score
Reactions
12,958 5 2
Alleybux
:dead: @ having to clean it out and put it back in. That alone grosses me out. I'll stick to my tamps.

Television

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
72,102 54 47
Alleybux
Is anyone using these? What are your thoughts on it?

For those that know nothing about it:

Menstrual cups are worn internally, holding (instead of absorbing) monthly flow. There are several types of reusable cups available, and they are bell-shaped and worn low in the vagina. The Divacup, the Mooncup, the Lunette, the Miacup, the Femmecup, the Ladycup, and the Keeper Moon Cup are made of medical grade silicone. The original Keeper is made of natural gum rubber (latex). There is also a disposable cup, called the Instead, which is shaped more like a diaphragm and worn higher up. The Ladycup is available in a variety of colours.

Here are all the cups that I know of:
The divacup: Sold in US and is silicon, it's the biggest of the cups
Keeper Mooncup: Also sold in US but is latex
Mooncup: Siilicon version of the Keeper, also sold in US
Mooncup UK: I think this was the original but is not sold in US
Lunette:Sold in US, holds the most amount of liquids, also silicon
LadyCups:Sold in US, they are the smallest of the cups, also silicon

You can use these cups for 12 hours, I've just recently heard of these and they sound interesting to say the least. They are also said to last about 10 years.

TheTicket

Ten Steps Ahead
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
45,820 18 14
Alleybux
Let me just go on record & say that I think these are disgusting. One may find that immature of me, but I personally have no appreciation for this form of technology.

Television

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
72,102 54 47
Alleybux
Let me just go on record & say that I think these are disgusting. One may find that immature of me, but I personally have no appreciation for this form of technology.
I've heard that they are more sanitary than tampons and pads, which are filled with harmful chemicals. I guess you just have to do more research on it.

TheTicket

Ten Steps Ahead
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
45,820 18 14
Alleybux
I just don't like the idea of anything "collecting" in/on me. It's a personal thing. I'm sure they were invented for a reason. I just could never get down with it.

HongKongho

ZhangZiyisho
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
155,688 6,271 6,563
Alleybux
I would use them but I can't

I have some type of thing going on wit my vagina that I just can't use those or tampons

I've heard of vulvodynia(sp) I'll talk to my Gyno about it cause I can't even have a pap smear without major pain

Next time I go, I'm asking for local anethesia first then the pap smear

GirlieBe

<span style="font-weight: bold;font-style: italic;
Reaction score
Reactions
11,357 41 3
Alleybux

co-to tha muthaphuckin-sign.

i've researched menstrual cups n they don't seem appealing in any way, shape or form.

Mean.Girl

Waiting on this roller set...... Diva status..
OLDHEAD
SUPER MODERATOR
Reaction score
Reactions
164,546 277 159
Alleybux
page12_3.gif

Never heard or seen this before..... the reusable part scares me tho'

Ill pass..

Tabatha ATL

<span style="text-decoration: underline;"><span st
Reaction score
Reactions
1,760 4 2
Alleybux
I have horrible cramps and you know a tampon can make it worse if you are just trying to relax and get comfortable that's why I use pads and they have been faulty making me replace my white sheets, but I say these I'm sure would be worse. Don't see them working too well.

HongKongho

ZhangZiyisho
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
155,688 6,271 6,563
Alleybux
actually I think they're a good idea

You can wash them in bleach and soap water in the sink would be no better than washing your own underwear

I say bleach cause it kills bacteria which can be harmful if reintroduced into the body

Right??????

Television

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
72,102 54 47
Alleybux

You can wash them in bleach and soap water in the sink would be no better than washing your own underwear

I say bleach cause it kills bacteria which can be harmful if reintroduced into the body

Right??????

I think you're supposed to boil it for a few minutes and they also come with their own special soap.

Kalanel5 RN

The Chyna Doll
Reaction score
Reactions
1,859 13 55
Alleybux
Thanks for the info.. though I can't see myself using that thing. . So basically when you take it out there is the risk of spillage... gross. Hmm when you lay down would there be a potential of leakage? I keep thinking when you move around the blood would be sloshing around in there yuck.

TheTicket

Ten Steps Ahead
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
45,820 18 14
Alleybux
page12_3.gif

Never heard or seen this before..... the reusable part scares me tho'

Ill pass..

This may be TMI, but I don't reuse "period" panties... I buy new ones once a month.

I just can't imagine reusing something that's been holding the blood my body SHED, & for up to 10 hrs???...

That's aight.. I'd rather excuse myself to the bathroom 20 times a day.

Some people have their quirks... My time of the month is ONE of mine. I'm just extremely particular about what happens down there.

Mean.Girl

Waiting on this roller set...... Diva status..
OLDHEAD
SUPER MODERATOR
Reaction score
Reactions
164,546 277 159
Alleybux

Right??????

i think thats to harsh for your vagina :dunno:

PrimaDonna

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
45,884 12 14
Alleybux
Im a tampon girl. No mess, no hassle. Occasionally I use pads when my cramps are too bad for me to use a tampon.
I dont like these cups.

Reaction score
Reactions
2,254 18 9
Alleybux
They are messy and gross... Removing it can result in your batroom looking like a scene from the First 48... Thumbs down...

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
Wow. I don't even know if it's worth it. Really. Ignorance is running over here.

I'll just quickly address a few things. You do NOT use bleach! Damn, what the hell is up with bleach and vagina any damn way?

You use intimate soap to clean it, and after your period is done, you boil it in water.

There's no leakage! You insert it in your vagina, and the vacuum keeps it on vaginal walls.

Saying how blood stays in. I mean, doesn't this happen with tampon as well? Just that in this case, blood stays IN the cup, as opposed to all over your vagina, which happens with tampons.

Gross? Geez, you must be nasty women if your own body and a clean blood grosses you out. How the hell do you even take out tampon, if you don't have an applicator? Are you really THAT grossed by yourself, your own body? I don't wanna even know.

What's so damn gross about re - using it? You WASH it, for fµck's sake! Do you change your vagina every time you have a period, too? You wash it with intimate soap! It's made of silicone that's used for surgery!

The menstrual cup is not messy. It's healthy. Among many other things, from saving money down the road, to not polluting environment.

All the women I know who use it highly recommend it.

The menstrual cup is not new. It's been around for around 80 years. Just that companies who make tampons, launched an aggressive advertising campaign for tampons, as you must buy tampons over and over again, instead of using the cup for years. It's not profitable for them, and as always, when something is advertised enough, people start believing it.

I guess we only have here people who never used it, and still speak against it and who are grossed out by themselves. So much for the debate.

Oh well.

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
They are messy and gross... Removing it can result in your batroom looking like a scene from the First 48... Thumbs down...

Either a woman is REALLY clumsy for this to happen, or you're just making sh!t up. I have NEVER had this happen to me, or any woman I know who uses it.

After all, you don't PULL it out. You squeeze your vaginal muscles for vacuum to let lose and slowly take it out as your vaginal muscles are slowly pushing it out.

Which again leads me to believe you haven't even tried it. That, or your vaginal muscles are so loose, the thing just fell out.

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
I have horrible cramps and you know a tampon can make it worse if you are just trying to relax and get comfortable that's why I use pads and they have been faulty making me replace my white sheets, but I say these I'm sure would be worse. Don't see them working too well.

The cup is soft. You easily fold it into the shape that you find it best to insert it. Once in vagina, the vacuum keeps the cup onto vaginal walls, but the cup itself is very soft and you do not even feel it. At first, it takes some time to get used to it, but when you do, you don't feel it and it's not like some hard cup is in you.

You have to insert it correctly (just like with tampons); when you don't feel it anymore, when vacuum does its thing, there's NO leakage, as it can't be.

Right??????

For the love of the universe, everyone, stop with this bleach!

Tampons, which are not organic, are bleached, and thus VERY dangerous for your health. Lay off the bleach!

Television

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
72,102 54 47
Alleybux
Wow. I don't even know if it's worth it. Really. Ignorance is running over here.

I'll just quickly address a few things. You do NOT use bleach! Damn, what the hell is up with bleach and vagina any damn way?

You use intimate soap to clean it, and after your period is done, you boil it in water.

There's no leakage! You insert it in your vagina, and the vacuum keeps it on vaginal walls.

Saying how blood stays in. I mean, doesn't this happen with tampon as well? Just that in this case, blood stays IN the cup, as opposed to all over your vagina, which happens with tampons.

Gross? Geez, you must be nasty women if your own body and a clean blood grosses you out. How the hell do you even take out tampon, if you don't have an applicator? Are you really THAT grossed by yourself, your own body? I don't wanna even know.

What's so damn gross about re - using it? You WASH it, for fµck's sake! Do you change your vagina every time you have a period, too? You wash it with intimate soap! It's made of silicone that's used for surgery!

The menstrual cup is not messy. It's healthy. Among many other things, from saving money down the road, to not polluting environment.

All the women I know who use it highly recommend it.

The menstrual cup is not new. It's been around for around 80 years. Just that companies who make tampons, launched an aggressive advertising campaign for tampons, as you must buy tampons over and over again, instead of using the cup for years. It's not profitable for them, and as always, when something is advertised enough, people start believing it.

I guess we only have here people who never used it, and still speak against it and who are grossed out by themselves. So much for the debate.

Oh well.

Thank you for the review. I was looking for a good discussion on the cups, but most people seem grossed out.

I read somewhere that women used similar types of devices back in the olden days. It looks like these cups are the renewal of an old invention.

Television

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
72,102 54 47
Alleybux
The cup is soft. You easily fold it into the shape that you find it best to insert it. Once in vagina, the vacuum keeps the cup onto vaginal walls, but the cup itself is very soft and you do not even feel it. At first, it takes some time to get used to it, but when you do, you don't feel it and it's not like some hard cup is in you.

You have to insert it correctly (just like with tampons); when you don't feel it anymore, when vacuum does its thing, there's NO leakage, as it can't be.

For the love of the universe, everyone, stop with this bleach!

Tampons, which are not organic, are bleached, and thus VERY dangerous for your health. Lay off the bleach!
Do they really last for 12 hours with no leakage as promised?
ETA: How long does it take to change it?

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
How are you supposed to empt it? Do you pull it out like a tampon?

You squeeze you vaginal muscles so that vaginal muscles slowly push the cup out, as vacuum is holding the cup firmly onto your vaginal walls. You hold a stick at the end of the cup, to hold it, and gently assist vaginal muscles to push/pull (but not like you're pulling out tampons) it out.

How do you suppose to empty it? You pour the blood into toilet, then wash the cup with intimate soap, dry it, and insert it back.

After your period is over, you boil it and put it back in its bag.

And another thing. The smell that is there with tampons and pads, as the blood is soaked into their material, is gone, as the blood in a cup is not contaminated with any material, soaking up the blood nor any ingredients used in tampons (mainly, and again, the bleach).

I mean, seriously, I cannot imagine a healthier and cleaner thing.

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
Thank you for the review. I was looking for a good discussion on the cups, but most people seem grossed out.

I read somewhere that women used similar types of devices back in the olden days. It looks like these cups are the renewal of an old invention.

Most welcome, girl! :)

Yeah, as I am grossed out by pads and tampons now, and have been for a long time.

True, women used some type of a cup back in the days, just not as sophisticated, and healthy. The cups are made from medicine grade silicone, as I said, used for surgery. Completely non toxic.

Do they really last for 12 hours with no leakage as promised?
ETA: How long does it take to change it?

I think we, women, sometimes have a wrong idea of just how much blood we lose; we think we lose gallons, when in fact, in most cases, it's just a small amount of blood.

I usually have it for 8 hours, and it's NEVER even close to being full.

How long it takes to change it? Depends on a woman. As I said, we don't bleed as much blood as we think we do, and when you start using the cup, you see this is right. I'd say go with the feeling you have for your bleeding pattern; at first, to make yourself comfortable, change it every 4 hours. Even though, when you'll see that's not even close to being full, you'll change it less often.

And if you're wondering, the cup does not stretch your vaginal walls. It adapts for the walls, and it is soft. The only thing you'll need to practice is finding your own folding system (there are suggestions, but again, use the system it suits you best), then making sure you get the vacuum right, which would follow soon, and then how to use your muscles to push it out. Kegels in reverse, is what I call it. LOL

ELEKTRA N

I'm Back b!tches
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
40,554 12 8
Alleybux
i used to work with a woman who used those. she went to change it one time and got blood on her pants. she had to go home and change clothes. gross.

those things just seem gross to me. i mean, you have to actually pour the blood into the toilet? just thinking about it is making my stomach churn.

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
The 41 year menstruation span (women 11-52 years) creates billions of pounds of disposable feminine hygiene products that are “dumped” into the environment each year. In 1998, the annual figures, for the U.S. alone, were estimated at 12 billion sanitary pads and 7 billion tampons. This kind of influx into landfills is creating a concern, among not only environmentalists, but informed women. Because The DivaCup is reusable it is ecological and economical, it is seen as a viable solution.

Now THIS is what I call downright nasty and gross! I don't wanna even think about how this sh!t gets, somehow, somewhere, back into my house.

I don't wanna find myself walking on tampons one day, being all over.

YUCK. Nasty!

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
Let me chime in. I use something called INSTEAD it is the same concept. It works wonderful, you can have xes with it and it stays in place and can be worn up to 8 hrs. I never use tampoons or pads anymore. I've been using Instead for 5 years. Here is the downside when you take the cup out it is messy, SO I always carry baby wipes with me when I know I have to take it out while on the road. That small inconvenience is worth it to me. It doesn't overflow and I have a medical condition that gives me very HEAVY long periods. I recommend this product, it can be found at Walgreens and CVS in the tampoon and Pad area, also there is only one size. A tip: The first time you use it sit on the toilet, relax and insert it in as far as you can. It's easy to remove with your index finger, just hook on to the side and slide it out. Any questions PM me.

:err:

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
Menstrual Cups - Divacup, Mooncup, Instead, Lunette, Miacup

here are some people talking about how to use it. Soreness comes up and turning the thing inside out. Oh and they also talk about other brands.

I tried to get a diaphragm once and I couldn't get it to stay in me. It kept popping back out. I don't think I want to fool with this. Popping out cups from your yaya with blood flowing doesn't sound that good to me.

To the women that use these things, you're a trooper.

If inserted correctly, it does not and it cannot just pop out! The vacuum keeps the cup firmly on vaginal walls.

There's no soreness as you don't turn the cup inside out; you squeeze your vaginal muscles down, so to speak, to push it out.

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
I got some (xes) last night and used it. No leakage nothing. It's fine you just need to learn how to use it properly before you start sex!ng anyone and not having a pad on for security. Once you master it you will never use a tampon or pad again. Lots of love for Instead and your partner will thank you too because they will never know when you have it. lol My ex actually asked me why don't I get my period. LOL
It's also safe to use with condoms. That was initially a concern for me because I didn't want it to compromise the condom. It doesn't.

Happy periods everybody.

... and I'm still :err: as I still don't get this.

There's even no air there, as the vacuum keeps it in and ''glued'' onto vaginal walls, much less room for a DICK!

JUJU LA FLAIR

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,475 43 13
Alleybux
dammit. why did i read this thread AFTER my 2 hour trip to walgreens?
i think im going to try the Instead soft cups. im very interested. wont be having xes with it until i get more comfortable.

ForeverTipsy

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,009 21 6
Alleybux
I've heard that they are more sanitary than tampons and pads, which are filled with harmful chemicals. I guess you just have to do more research on it.

So true. Tampons and pads are filled with harmful chemicals because the pesticides they spray on cotton. You can get some organic pads at health food stores, I saw some at whole foods.

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
You mean I have to remove a cup of blood from my special place, then rinse and reinsert it? What about if Im lying down, doesnt the -eek, cup of .. blood spill? I am so uncomfortable with the idea of a cup of blood sitting in my body.

It cannot leak. There's a vacuum in your vagina when you insert it, as it keeps the cup firmly onto your vaginal walls.

You can lay down, you can swim (and it keeps the water from coming in, again, for the same reasons as it keeps the blood from going out), you can run...

If inserted correctly, there's no spilling. If it's not inserted correctly, you will feel it right away.

That is just nasty which is why I don't use Diva Cup. I honestly don't know how sanitary rinsing out blood and reinserting it is. Just my 2 cents.

If anything, the cup IS the most sanitary, provided YOU are sanitary. You wash it with an intimate soap, and insert it back in.

But again, all this from people who haven't tried it or informed themselves.

What the f*ck, who in the hell is putting a big ass cup in there pussy......exactly why I am against foreign objects up the pussy, uncalled for.

Ignorance is bliss.

The cup isn't that big in all actuality. Once it is in correctly... you don't feel it!

No, it's pretty small and you fold it. Once inside, it takes the shape of vagina.
And yes, when it's inserted correctly, you don't feel it at all.

How the fµck have I NEVER EVER heard of this!!! You got bishes that been using this for 5 years!!! I'm THINKING about trying it my problem is that I have a medical condition that might make maneuvering it hard add very heavy periods and IDK. I can't really wrap my head around the cup o' blood...

What kinda medical condition do you have, if you don't mind me asking.
The cup is made from a very gentle material, used for surgery. Maybe you should give it a try.

I tried something similar to that a few years ago. It was fine until I went to remove it and blood went everywhere....yeah first and last time. I was traumatized for life.

You probably didn't even insert it correctly, that's why you pulled it out and the thing spilled.

ELEKTRA N

I'm Back b!tches
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
40,554 12 8
Alleybux
somebody needs to explain something to me. how in the hell can you have xes with one of those cups inside of you? why would you even want to?:question:

Crown Royal

On Ice Baby
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
85,657 3,443 2,019
Alleybux
Like I previously stated I used them before - not a reusable kind but one you change out every 4-5 hours I think (I only lasted 2-3 days) I was so paranoid about not having it in there right, I wore a pad as a backup. Personally it wasn't for me, I gave it a shot and more power to the women that can use them confortably wiht no problem, I just could'nt do it.

And that is correct you can have xes with it because basically the cup is covering everything so there's no blood.

Moonwalker, I find there are a lot of ignorant women when it comes to things like this, if people knew more about thier bodies and how it works maybe some of the comments I read wouldn't be here.

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
i used to work with a woman who used those. she went to change it one time and got blood on her pants. she had to go home and change clothes. gross.

those things just seem gross to me. i mean, you have to actually pour the blood into the toilet? just thinking about it is making my stomach churn.

:err:

I take it you don't even take sh!t, as that would surely look gross in the toilet? Or is a piece of sh!t less gross than clean blood?

Yes, you pour your own blood into the toilet.

Goodness gracious! I feel like being at the Vatican meeting in year 1200, listening to men discussing how nasty and dirty women are when we have our period.

So true. Tampons and pads are filled with harmful chemicals because the pesticides they spray on cotton. You can get some organic tampons at health food stores, I saw some at whole foods.

Yes. And they are bleached so they are as white as possible.
Organic tampons or pads (if you use pads - I don't), in case you don't have the cup handy, is what I highly recommend.

somebody needs to explain something to me. how in the hell can you have xes with one of those cups inside of you? why would you even want to?:question:

You don't. You can't. There's no room for air, much less a dick, even if you're into fµck!ng with an ant. Since I have to go there.

Television

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
72,102 54 47
Alleybux
LOL. Instead is different from the other menstrual cups.

1. It's disposable.
2. It's made of Polyethylene
3. It doesn't have a stem on the end like the other cups, instead it has a rim that you hook your finger onto to pull it out.

From the pictures, it looks thinner and a lot more flexible.
hand_softcup.jpg

Moonwalker

PROMETHEAN ANTICHRIST
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
10,987 4 5
Alleybux
Like I previously stated I used them before - not a reusable kind but one you change out every 4-5 hours I think (I only lasted 2-3 days) I was so paranoid about not having it in there right, I wore a pad as a backup. Personally it wasn't for me, I gave it a shot and more power to the women that can use them confortably wiht no problem, I just could'nt do it.

And that is correct you can have xes with it because basically the cup is covering everything so there's no blood.

Moonwalker, I find there are a lot of ignorant women when it comes to things like this, if people knew more about thier bodies and how it works maybe some of the comments I read wouldn't be here.

It's not that there's no blood, you can't have xes while having a cup in your vagina, as there's no room for anything; not even air.

I agree, ignorance truly is amazing. From soaking in a bleached water to clean your vagina (that was the first one for me!), to being grossed over their own bodies, own blood. Mind boggling.
And talking about something being gross, and not even trying it or being informed on it.

The moment I heard about the cup, I was sold. Nothing in your vagina soaking up blood, no stinky pads, no leaving behind me hills of rotten tampons, healthy, easy to use once you get used to it...

It's the most clean and healthy thing you can use.