Quantcast

middle school teacher arrested, accused of assaulting students

Summer Sweetie

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
315,074 45,106 6,437
Alleybux
PROVIDENCE, Cache County — A Cache County middle school teacher was arrested Thursday for allegedly assaulting five students at his school, including one that he punched twice in the back of the head, according to police.

Scott D. Meeker, 51, of Wellsville, was booked into the Cache County Jail on Thursday for investigation of child abuse, aggravated assault and three counts of assault.

Meeker is a seventh grade science teacher at Spring Creek Middle School, 350 W. 100 North in Providence, according to the school's website.

The incident was first reported on Wednesday. Meeker was placed on administrative leave that same day pending the outcome of an internal investigation, according to a statement from the Cache County Sheriff's Office.

Later that night, deputies were called to a local hospital where "a student was being treated for an injury sustained in an alleged assault. It was determined that the juvenile receiving treatment was one of several victims in the alleged incident from the middle school," the sheriff's office stated.

Investigators interviewed several students and school staff members on Thursday and arrested Meeker following the interviews.

Cache County Sheriff's Lt. Doyle Peck said Thursday there were several more people to interview as part of the investigation. But from what detectives could determine, the assaults happened as school was letting out for the day, about 2 p.m., on Wednesday, he said.

One student was engaging in "horseplay" in a hallway area when Meeker "lost his cool" and lashed out at the student, striking him in the back of the head, Peck said. He then got involved with other students, including shoving one against a locker, according to Peck. School surveillance video was being reviewed as part of the investigation.

According to a police booking affidavit, the student being treated at the hospital was allegedly "punched in the head two times."

When an officer reviewed school surveillance video, he saw a boy "walk down the hall and jump up and hit the top of the lockers multiple times. It was explained to me that this is called dunking, and is common at the middle school," the affidavit states.

Meeker then came out of his classroom, is seen grabbing the collar of the boy's shirt, "pushes" him across the hall and "slams him into the wall causing him to hit his head," according to the affidavit.

In the video, the teacher then watches another group of students and "chases them down ... pushes multiple kids out of the way and grabs two other male juveniles by the back of the neck and pushes them towards a fourth male juvenile. Scott then throws two closed fist punches and strikes (the fourth student) in the head and causes goose eggs," the affidavit states. A fifth student was also pushed during this time.

The students were treated for bruising and swelling, the lieutenant said. The student being treated at the hospital was released the same day.

Meeker has been with the district for 22 years, according to the school district which also released a statement on Thursday.

"The Cache County School District absolutely does not tolerate the use of physical force of any kind by adults with children. Pending criminal charges and an internal investigation, appropriate actions will be taken in consequence of this incident. Every student should be able to attend school without concern for their safety and well-being, and with the knowledge that adults should be their strongest advocates."

Haitian1

ghetto girl with a degree
Reaction score
Reactions
87,625 13,386 5,094
Alleybux
Mental break down having to come back to regular school and dealing with kids agian is my guess. At first I thought they jumped him because all the kids involved but nope he just went crazy cause the kid were banging on lockers near his class and started raging like a bull.

flashing

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
4,123 116 19
Alleybux
damn, he snapped. hopefully he finds another line of work away from kids after this

ALLOFTHIS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
185,059 4,466 2,068
Alleybux
Damn, sounds like he went wild. I wonder if he was over or under medicated that day.

He's been teaching for forever.

Ladidadi

Justice for Takeoff
Reaction score
Reactions
90,257 3,700 474
Alleybux
I'm confused as to why this teacher is being excused in this thread for physically assaulting multiple kids. I wonder if yall would feel this way if it was your kids.

NOEFinest

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
176,576 6,086 3,406
Alleybux
I'm confused as to why this teacher is being excused in this thread for physically assaulting multiple kids. I wonder if yall would feel this way if it was your kids.
Article would read a little differently if it was my child, but please believe I wouldn’t be excusing what they did.

Orion Pax

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
107,467 1,683 619
Alleybux
According to the story Meeker has been with the district 22 years. I wonder how many students he’s mistreated or abused in that time.

Andi420

Slava Ukraini! Putin’s Biggest Hater!!
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,966 4,903 6,268
Alleybux
I don’t think he should do jail time but he does need to seek therap. It sounds like he had a mental breakdown
And you sound about just as psychotic as he is if you think it’s acceptable to hurt children with no consequences. Therapy isn’t paying for his crime.

Vibrant_Thang

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,816 387 95
Alleybux
Kids will be kids, now after 22 years you end up in jail with a record and not only that you will have to live with traumatizing these students. Kids get on our nerves yes they do but take a leave of absence, take deep breaths but don't take your frustrations out on them. My God he def had a mental breakdown.

Yonce PR

Chicks suffering from DC PTSD like it’s 1998
Reaction score
Reactions
196,431 6,203 3,900
Alleybux
2041D877-D8B3-4EF5-9F12-91B9B73B1AB2.jpeg