Quantcast

Mirembe the royal groomer #Coming2America

Veyonce Poulain

fine fine fi-fine fi-fine fine fine
Reaction score
Reactions
152,904 2,752 2,114
Alleybux
I think you missed my point entirely. This is about the movie role she is playing in the movie and how the character sounds. Again, this is a response to OP saying she shouldn't have had to change her accent because she is from Africa. Zamunda is not South Africa. Zamunda was never colonized. Zamunda doesn't not have a minority of white people controlling the economy and running the best schools in the country like South Africa.
you’re saying a lot of things. why are we even talking about white people and colonization?
of course, zamunda isn’t real. lol most of the accents are silly and stereotypical put on by americans—-the accents in the movie are more than likely going to try and match what the americans are doing whether it’s from a real african or not.

what do white people have to do with coming to america? why even launch into all that? it’s an american comedy movie, not a documentary.

Veyonce Poulain

Reaction score
Reactions
152,904 2,752 2,114
Alleybux
Hold on. You disagreed with the person I disagreed with. And then disagreed with me for disagreeing with her and now I see she is agreeing with you for disagreeing with me lol. LSA is full of nutjobs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
this is a message board. you don’t have to go be contrary just for the sake of being contrary. crazy, i know. you can comment and disagree with one thing someone says and then agree with another thing. i hope you weren’t today years old when you learned that.

this is a message board. we are here to talk and pass the time. it’s not that serious.

Voets3k

Would rather be rejected than disrespected
Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
Hold on. You disagreed with the person I disagreed with. And then disagreed with me for disagreeing with her and now I see she is agreeing with you for disagreeing with me lol. LSA is full of nutjobs:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
She made a valid point about Zamunda being fictional, and I understood where she was coming from... You're just tragically disconnected from your own culture, and that's why you're mad

Veyonce Poulain

Reaction score
Reactions
152,904 2,752 2,114
Alleybux
Lol but disagreeing with me about the point you yourself were making is mental. Seek help, dear.
we were not making the same point.

i said zamunda is a fictional place. it doesn’t matter if she has a south african accent or not because authenticity isn’t really a concern in an american made comedy movie about a fictional place in africa. it doesn’t even matter if she is really african or not—it’s coming to america. you hauled off and started talking about “she talks white anyway” and that is what i disagree with. what was all that for? if you think you were saying the same thing i was saying, it certainly wasn’t for the same reasons, hence the disagreement.

and didn’t you say “agree to disagree” but you’re still going and i’m mental? k.

Veyonce Poulain

Reaction score
Reactions
152,904 2,752 2,114
Alleybux
I did until I saw another font quote you saying the exact same thing I was ultimately communicating.

And you're still misunderstanding me. She might sound South African, but for a movie that is based on a fictional country that doesn't have an apparent colonial past, it doesn't make sense for for to keep her current South African accent, which is a legacy of SA's colonial past. If she spoke like Leleti Khumalo, who is from the same town she is from by the way, it would be less strange, because Leleti still sounds like a Zulu woman. I haven't watched the first Coming to America all the way, but if it's anything like the Black Panther in terms of the "fictional African country untouched by Europeans" trope, then my point still stands.

You can't honestly argue that if she had not gone to a school in a white neighborhood (she grew up in a black township) and a historically white uni (with the kinds of social dynamics I described), she would still sound the same, because that's very unlikely (hence why there are many black South Africans who don't sound like that).
just because i disagree with you doesn’t mean i don’t understand you.

we are not saying the same thing.

Veyonce Poulain

Reaction score
Reactions
152,904 2,752 2,114
Alleybux
So what are you saying then? I'm honestly not understanding your point of disagreement.

I feel like you're saying that her accent doesn't make her less black. This isn't my argument and has nothing to do with my point about her and this character. Is her accent associated with proximity to whiteness in South Africa? Yes and I don't think that this is "dumb" as you said.

South Africa is still a socially segregated country and one normally acquires an accent like that by going through historically white institutions. It's not dumb for people to clock your educational background from how you speak and it's not like she's from a town where everyone sounds like that as I've already shown. There are black people with Indian accents and coloured accents as well because they went to a school in an area dominated by that racial group with teachers from those so-called races. Due to centuries of segregation people from different races generally have different accents, so using a racial term to describe an accent makes sense in SA most of the time.

You can't try to compare this with the US too much since you have constant immigration and assimilation and mixed neighborhoods may be more common (I'm guessing) whereas this is not the norm in SA outside of major cities and even there there is still lots of segregation (Cape Town is very racially segregated with few pockets where people mix).

Again, what's the disagreement exactly?
the bolded. not even because there may not be some truth to it, i am not south african so i can’t speak to anything culturally specific to your nation but as i said before—that’s doesn’t sound much different than what happens in america. it’s dumb that people make a big deal of it, i did not say that you were dumb. you can’t dismiss that anymore than i can speak on south africa if you’re not from here.

regardless, whether she has a whitewashed south african accent or not doesn’t really have anything to do with the price of tea in china as it pertains to this movie, which is what we were initially talking about. i don’t care to really continue going back and forth about it. i don’t live in south africa. i think you’re doing too much and have deviated from the purpose of the discussion entirely. we are not saying the same things and that is ok. literally all i said initially was that zamunda isn’t real and the actress’s accent didn’t matter. you—-said a whole lot of other stuff: educational backgrounds, colonization, discrimination, etc. i wasn’t saying any of that so we definitely were not saying the same thing.

i was over it when you first said agree to disagree but you won’t let it go. neither of us plans on saying anything different than what we have been saying so why continue on with this?

Reaction score
Reactions
3,705 93 42
Alleybux
Lol her accent caught me off guard. So not what I expected. She sounded like an American trying to sound African. Her accent is already African enough for me but whatever works for the movie.

She looks gorgeous as always.

Veyonce Poulain

Reaction score
Reactions
152,904 2,752 2,114
Alleybux
I was just trying to understand your point and further expand on what I meant (someone else asked me to do this because they were curious). Sorry for communicating and "doing too much" lol
don’t apologize let’s just actually agree to disagree this time. deal?

Veyonce Poulain

Reaction score
Reactions
152,904 2,752 2,114
Alleybux
Whatever floats your boat. I don't see anything wrong with going back to clarify a potential misunderstanding (which is the source of most conflicts). I thought there was something you were saying that I didn't quite understand the first time. I can't believe I'm being mocked for this. Sad world indeed.
that’s all that we were ever doing. then i thought it was over —until you called me mental (??) then i still tried to explain to you in spite of that, there appeared to be some understanding (guess not?) now you’re being mocked?

you’re not a victim because people don’t agree with you. i’m sure there are fonts that are more aligned with your thought process where you can get that validation you’re seeking but it’s obviously not me. everything doesn’t have to turn into a bitchy dragging fest on this board but y’all never know when to leave well enough alone.

Veyonce Poulain

Reaction score
Reactions
152,904 2,752 2,114
Alleybux
@Mikhail Bakunin I'm glad you find this funny since I was trying to help you with your question was best as I could. Not doing this anymore.
you should calm down. i think that font is on your side. i don’t get the impression that they’re laughing at you. maybe it’s time for you to close this thread. you’re being confrontational for absolutely no reason.

Veyonce Poulain

Reaction score
Reactions
152,904 2,752 2,114
Alleybux
I literally just said that if agreeing to disagree floats your boat, then that's fine. What I wrote to Mikhail shouldn't really bother you so why respond to that now?
you literally typed a whole paragraph after you said that though. lol words mean things.

it doesn’t bother me. you’re just kinda spinning out in here. lol but you’re right. that’s your business. i’m gonna go get my dinner started. you have a blessed (whatever time it is where you are) i’m about to go eat.

Mikhail Bakunin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
154,038 19,672 18,910
Alleybux
Most, if not all, people who "sound white" or have what's called a "Model C accent" went to a historically white school after desegregation in SA happened. There are two sides to this "battle": yes, people with Model C accents can be judgemental towards black people who don't have one. To them it sounds ghetto. Nomzamo went to my Alma Mater, which is full of black people who speak that way (myself included) and you seldom find black students from mixed educational backgrounds mixing on campus. The private school black kids hang out amongst themselves, former white public school kids the same and so do kids who went to township and rural schools. I've even experienced private school kids changing how they speak when they interact with me because I didn't go to St. George's or some other private Anglican school. Class segregation amongst black people over there is a real thing.

On the other side, I have experienced people questioning my blackness because of my English accent. There's a sense that you're a traitor, especially when I visit provinces where I don't speak the lingua franca like KZN or in black areas in Cape Town. I can't speak any Nguni languages and never lived around speakers of those languages (most of the Zulu and Xhosa people in my hometown assimilated into my culture), but people think I'm just pretending to not understand and am putting on airs. There's an assumption that we think we are "better" than other black people, so I've experienced people lashing out at me out of insecurity many times in my life over there. I've even had one young dude try to holler at me while I was walking home from school in my uniform and I ignored him. He then said "I bet if I had the accent of a guy who went to school in the white part of town, you would want to talk to me". It made me feel sad that he believed that.

What's the biggest difference between private school Black kids and those who went to white public schools. I would assume the private school kids mentally are in a better place than the public school ones who may have struggled to be accepted by white children. My assumption is that the private school kids are coming from a place of strength and elitism while the public school kids are assumed to be elitist and dealt with hostility as you said in your personal experiences. Any truth to this?

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,418 18,059
Alleybux
I guess not, and it's very ignorant
What is so ignorant about expecting someone to know/speak with their ethnic groups accent/language?

And you will seethe about the beautiful African woman in the cast as a leading lady.

Enjoy the view.

No one is seething about an African playing an African in a Black American movie. We only care about Black Americans being able to play Black Americans in American movies. We are for proper representation while you are clearly for xenophobia against Black Americans and diaspora wars.

You just exposed and shaded yourself.

Reaction score
Reactions
11,460 357 3
Alleybux
The host on the show she was on in this clip was an entire mood! I love to see women so excited for another woman’s success! I felt her excitement!

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
What is so ignorant about expecting someone to know/speak with their ethnic groups accent/language?
Please tell me, what does a Zulu accent sound like, because that sure as heck isn't a Zulu accent?!! What the fµck do you know about how Africans are supposed to sound?

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux

No one is seething about an African playing an African in a Black American movie. We only care about Black Americans being able to play Black Americans in American movies. We are for proper representation while you are clearly for xenophobia against Black Americans and diaspora wars.

You just exposed and shaded yourself.
You're being hypocritical because that font responded to xenophobic rhetoric from a black American!

A isha baby

Becoming who I'm supposed to be
Reaction score
Reactions
78,888 4,585 4,680
Alleybux

Cliffs: From 3:29-3:45

*Sigh* I can't believe that they made sis, "Africanise" her accent.... You'd think they'd let her speak with her real voice since she's was born and raised in Africa:unsure:

We are within

Um sis does not have a thick African accent at all. She sounds British, American and African all at the same time. I can see why the wanted it emphasizes.

Voets3k

Reaction score
Reactions
141,541 5,315 2,962
Alleybux
Um sis does not have a thick African accent at all. She sounds British, American and African all at the same time. I can see why the wanted it emphasizes.
The way Nomzamo speaks, is the way a lot of us speak and it's very normal here... We sound the way we do, not how you expect us to sound, so "Africanising" her accent is very ignorant... Also please explain, what exactly is an African accent?