Quantcast

Montana Will Stop Extra Unemployment Benefits So Workers Can Return To Work

sneakerk

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,714 491 163
Alleybux
I understand there’s a shortage, but there’s some people who are using employment because they may have medical conditions or due to childcare. One of my friends is using unemployment and she also have a autoimmune disease. She’s terrified of contracting COVID because of the effect it could have on her. The COVID rates in my area are back up. I think what they’re doing is wrong.
It’s sad

sneakerk

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
9,714 491 163
Alleybux
The country is built to put everyone in debt .
Look at the cost of living and the stingy paying jobs .

StayinSane

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,499 316 274
Alleybux
To answer your question: I believe it's a good idea to get folks back to work. It is not a good long-term plan to think you can sit at home forever and collect checks. At some point you will need health benefits, retirement and job security.
The thing is it's not a long term plan and people will not be staying at home forever collecting checks. It's literally set to expire in September of this year and yet Montana (and other red states) wants to end it months early.

laloveaffair

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,557 114 63
Alleybux
Those hiring signs are likely fake. This is why they're not offering higher wages. They want to hire as little people as possible or not at all, because they know Biden is going to raise the corporate and business tax rate. They're preparing

Im glad I’m not the only one who thinks some of them are fake! My pharmacy (CVS) has been intentionally understaffed for YEARS to save money. It takes forever to get a prescription filled and they mess up all the time. They now have a hiring sign up and I don’t believe it. My local Target has had one register open for years, ever since they put in self checkout machines, now they say they’re hiring yet one of the employees said they won’t give her more than 20 hours even though she begged for more.

Reaction score
Reactions
136,817 2,744 1,706
Alleybux
Im glad I’m not the only one who thinks some of them are fake! My pharmacy (CVS) has been intentionally understaffed for YEARS to save money. It takes forever to get a prescription filled and they mess up all the time. They now have a hiring sign up and I don’t believe it. My local Target has had one register open for years, ever since they put in self checkout machines, now they say they’re hiring yet one of the employees said they won’t give her more than 20 hours even though she begged for more.
Yep, it was the same thing in retail. People would complain about the lack of cashiers and staff, but every year the higher ups would slash the budget for the staff. The business has always been the problem.

ScorpioQween

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,237 291 61
Alleybux
And what is the state going to do with those extra federal funds? Return them? Fund child care programs in their state for people returning to work? Wages definitely need to increase as well as working conditions etc. these companies are raping their employees

Shello

Jamaican Gyol
Reaction score
Reactions
12,436 616 434
Alleybux
I hope every person that is displaced in those states remember this when it's election time!

Fiestyfunsize

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
37,779 411 137
Alleybux
It depends on their job, doesn't it? Last year, folks were getting an extra $3600 on top of whatever their base UI benefits were. That means that in many cases, bus boys, mailroom clerks, janitors, etc were making the same amount of money as a trained graphic designer, teachers, nurses, chemists, lab techs, etc.

I don't blame people for taking advantage of everything they're being offered, but how is this schema fair to folks who've been trained in their fields and still had to work with no hazard pay?

This is a general question I had about propose increase in minimum wage. So if your regular fast food worker gets $15/hr, does that mean that lab technicians automatically receive an increase? Most of them have to have a minimum of a bachelors degree, but I bet they won't be benefitting from current proposals...

I've debated about this with a friend who has communist leanings (her words). She believes that everybody should have the same wage. But I asked her okay, so what happens if you invested in school and training? Does everyone deserves he same reward for unequal contribution? She's recently changed her tune now that she has her own business.

TL:DR it's quite complicated and I'm not sure that Americans are willing to make the personal sacrifices necessary to bring 'livable wages' to fruition. I'm for increased taxes or a flat tax, but not front-loading on pay.
The problem your living)g out is that tax payers subsidize the corporations and Hulu ness owners twice. Why bc our safety nets. business can get away with paying ppl 5 bucks an hour if those same ppl, qualify for section 8” Medicare etc.

Nativerose

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,919 322 158
Alleybux
Capitalism never wants people to rest or get ahead or even just get caught up.
We are in the middle of a pandemic and there are so many evil selfish people in the world.

Meanwhile the people on top just keep hoarding money.
Americans need to fight back against the repubs and the capitalist brainwashed who bark their nasty lies.

Greenskye

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,533 2,071 846
Alleybux
I noticed a lot of fake "Now hiring" signs at the fast food restaurants in my neighborhood under Trump and pre- pandemic. These businesses were obviously understaffed but they never hired any new hires. Then the pandemic happened, they took them down and then put them right back up a month ago--all of them at the same time! My teenaged son went to apply for a job and he was persistent and he was told he didn't qualify to the clean tables and take the trash out. I'm like really?

Red Sonja

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,622 10,514 8,098
Alleybux
I noticed a lot of fake "Now hiring" signs at the fast food restaurants in my neighborhood under Trump and pre- pandemic. These businesses were obviously understaffed but they never hired any new hires. Then the pandemic happened, they took them down and then put them right back up a month ago--all of them at the same time! My teenaged son went to apply for a job and he was persistent and he was told he didn't qualify to the clean tables and take the trash out. I'm like really?

Yup this has been happening for a decade, they say they want jobs but don't want to hire people. Look at Indeed, all these jobs open but who are they hiring.

The reason why people like Amazon is that you are guaranteed a job the first day, no interviews just given a chance.

Small businesses are too fool of themselves, it does not take that much vetting to clean tables. Small business owners play nepotism and hire their own/family members etc.

Luv22

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
66,702 3,852 2,325
Alleybux
To play devil’s advocate, it’s not fair for minimum wage workers to have the option of being paid more during the pandemic, while the rest of us stay at our salary bracket.
1620976974738.png

BobbeeJonsun

I'm always confused
Reaction score
Reactions
23,213 1,760 1,531
Alleybux
To play devil’s advocate, it’s not fair for minimum wage workers to have the option of being paid more during the pandemic, while the rest of us stay at our salary bracket.
You know minimum wage workers are people right? You know that people need money for their basic needs...right?

So basically you're saying that minimum wage workers aren't deserving of higher pay because you think they are financially irresponsible? Do you think people struggle financially for fun sh!ts and giggles?

You're gonna ignore that the government doesn't hold employers responsible and make them pay their workers a living wage? Because they do have that power but they make it a social issue to place the responsibility on the employers and they aren't going to pay their workers a living wage.

Reaction score
Reactions
146,900 4,504 3,835
Alleybux
You know minimum wage workers are people right? You know that people need money for their basic needs...right?

So basically you're saying that minimum wage workers aren't deserving of higher pay because you think they are financially irresponsible? Do you think people struggle financially for fun sh!ts and giggles?

You're gonna ignore that the government doesn't hold employers responsible and make them pay their workers a living wage? Because they do have that power but they make it a social issue to place the responsibility on the employers and they aren't going to pay their workers a living wage.

What the hell are you even talking about?

You just created an entire narrative in your head that has NOTHING to do with what I said or implied.

Oh Really

Bvtches swear they G. The G must be for goofy…
Reaction score
Reactions
45,274 1,323 1,452
Alleybux
I know I’m going to be in the minority but I don’t have a problem with this. Unemployment was never designed to be a substitute for a full time employment. It’s meant to supplement your income while you find another job. Hence why it’s usually only a percentage of what you made at your previous job. I usually don’t agree with Republicans on much but looking back on it I totally think it was a mistake to pay people more than what they made via this benefit. Why would someone go back to work to make less money when they can make more money sitting at home?

WhewChileTheJello

Leftest Mafia Mama
Reaction score
Reactions
126,174 2,056 548
Alleybux
Those hiring signs are likely fake. This is why they're not offering higher wages. They want to hire as little people as possible or not at all, because they know Biden is going to raise the corporate and business tax rate. They're preparing

Some of these companies are indeed not hiring externally or internally. They are posting jobs, letting people interview, and then calling them back saying that position is no longer needed.

And they are not replacing those who have retired or left for other reasons. The company I work for has been such a hostile corporate environment with threats of layoffs and piling more work on current employees instead of hiring more. If this is happening in higher paid positions I can only imagine what’s going on in food service and other fields.

BobbeeJonsun

I'm always confused
Reaction score
Reactions
23,213 1,760 1,531
Alleybux
What the hell are you even talking about?

You just created an entire narrative in your head that has NOTHING to do with what I said or implied.
Lol sure.
What you said basically means that minimum wage workers aren't deserving of more pay because they don't live within their means or in your terms "salary bracket". Which also means that if they just lived within their $7.25/hr (in my state, just using it as an example) "salary bracket", then they won't have any need for an increase in pay. WHICH ALSO MEANS that you're saying that they are financially irresponsible. No one can survive off of minimum wage unless they work 2 or 3 other jobs.

Now you didn't say all of that but this is definitely what you mean.

I'm trust trying to help out the next person who may not see through your classist rhetoric and clear disdain for the working class over something that's not their fault.

BobbeeJonsun

I'm always confused
Reaction score
Reactions
23,213 1,760 1,531
Alleybux
Lol sure.
What you said basically means that minimum wage workers aren't deserving of more pay because they don't live within their means or in your terms "salary bracket". Which also means that if they just lived within their $7.25/hr (in my state, just using it as an example) "salary bracket", then they won't have any need for an increase in pay. WHICH ALSO MEANS that you're saying that they are financially irresponsible. No one can survive off of minimum wage unless they work 2 or 3 other jobs.

I'm trust trying to help out the next person who may not see through your classist rhetoric and clear disdain for the working class over something that's not their fault.
And lastly, minimum wage workers live within their means or as they put it "salary bracket".

They can't afford to go above it a little bit like others can because they are living paycheck to paycheck.

If they went above their "salary bracket" then that puts them at risk of not having enough money to take care of their basic needs.

Reaction score
Reactions
146,900 4,504 3,835
Alleybux
Lol sure.

What the entire fµck?!

I take it you’re still in grade school because your reading comprehension skills are way below a high school graduate’s.

You would have been better off asking me what I meant rather than rambling off-base nonsense.

For your information, what I meant was exactly what I said. That is, it’s not fair to pay minimum wage workers more during the pandemic without paying other tax brackets. All that “spending above their means” foolishness is your opinion. Don’t attribute that mess to me.

With that said, don’t at me again. You’ve wasted enough of my time.

BobbeeJonsun

I'm always confused
Reaction score
Reactions
23,213 1,760 1,531
Alleybux
What the entire fµck?!

I take it you’re still in grade school because your reading comprehension skills are way below a high school graduate’s.

You would have been better off asking me what I meant rather than rambling off-base nonsense.

For your information, what I meant was exactly what I said. That is, it’s not fair to pay minimum wage workers more during the pandemic without paying other tax brackets. All that “spending above their means” foolishness is your opinion. Don’t attribute that mess to me.

With that said, don’t at me again. You’ve wasted enough of my time.
You're back peddling by switching up the words from "staying within our tax bracket" to "without paying other tax brackets". But even this response is classiest and it doesn't make any sense.

You did mean what you said and I just happened to translate it for others who probably won't even realize what you're implying. I don't understand why you're upset by that because that's what you meant. I'm just trying to help you out baby that's all.

Reaction score
Reactions
146,900 4,504 3,835
Alleybux
You're back peddling by switching up the words from "staying within our tax bracket" to "without paying other tax brackets". But even this response is classiest and it doesn't make any sense.

You did mean what you said and I just happened to translate it for others who probably won't even realize what you're implying. I don't understand why you're upset by that because that's what you meant. I'm just trying to help you out baby that's all.

Didn’t I tell you not to @ me again?

1621052061941.gif

Mencha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,922 3,011 1,162
Alleybux

Don't forget though these people lost their jobs due to no fault of their own. So it is kind of unfair to blame them for something that was out of their control. Also if they were offered jobs paying more than what they were making they would probably be more willing to get back. But working in these often times unstable retail, food or hotel environments isn't ideal for many even if Covid never happened.

Reaction score
Reactions
146,900 4,504 3,835
Alleybux
Don't forget though these people lost their jobs due to no fault of their own. So it is kind of unfair to blame them for something that was out of their control. Also if they were offered jobs paying more than what they were making they would probably be more willing to get back. But working in these often times unstable retail, food or hotel environments isn't ideal for many even if Covid never happened.

I’m talking about the workers whose jobs have opened back up, but they refuse to go back to work (understandably so) since they can make more money on unemployment.

Last edited:

Mencha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,922 3,011 1,162
Alleybux
Edit: As a grim add on...a lot of people have also died over the past year during all of this. A lot of those people were probably low wage workers still trying to earn money throughout everything. Where's the remorse?

Can we PLEASE discuss this!!! I am in constant shock and awe how this is never mentioned. A couple of 100,000+ adults died in the last year and many were in the workforce. So these people are sadly NEVER coming back. So I'm not sure why people are acting like other people just want to jump right in and take their jobs when often times these people died due to poor work conditions. We have only 38% of people fully vaccinated and now no masks, little to no testing, social distancing or tracing.

We are clearly in a worst place than last year, but for some reason people think that everything opening up makes COVID just magically go away. I am sure people in India thought that too.

Mencha

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,922 3,011 1,162
Alleybux
I’m talking about the workers whose jobs have opened back up, but they refuse to go back to work (understand my so) since they can make more money on unemployment.

I hear you but here is my thing, why are we also allowing employers to pay 45K or 60K with 50-60 hour work weeks in salaried positions? Which really only equals out to $17-$23 with those type of hours.

My point is we all are getting screwed and we should be reassessing our salary positions the same as minimum wage workers. Because a lot of employees aren't getting paid what they are worth the only difference many of us can at least pay our bills. So we think we are doing better but in reality not really.

So if Ross starts paying $15 then people in corporate jobs with degrees should absolutely fight for more income instead of shitting on others for finally being able to pay their bills.

Reaction score
Reactions
146,900 4,504 3,835
Alleybux
I hear you but here is my thing, why are we also allowing employers to pay 45K or 60K with 50-60 hour work weeks in salaried positions? Which really only equals out to $17-$23 with those type of hours.

My point is we all are getting screwed and we should be reassessing our salary positions the same as minimum wage workers. Because a lot of employees aren't getting paid what they are worth the only difference many of us can at least pay our bills. So we think we are doing better but in reality not really.

So if Ross starts paying $15 then people in corporate jobs with degrees should absolutely fight for more income instead of shitting on others for finally being able to pay their bills.

The only reason minimum wage workers are “reassessing their pay” as you say, is because they now have a better option with unemployment payments.

Those of us who are salaried were not given better options during the pandemic. We have to create our opportunities to receive better pay.

Reaction score
Reactions
93,169 4,441 3,877
Alleybux
But isn’t the true tea that these companies don’t pay people enough in the first place? The costs of the goods and services are going up but where does the worker fall in this? Each place I’ve shopped lately where employees have told me to tell people they are hiring honestly are a sh!t show right now. They need these workers but these workers also need better pay.

They better hope these people didn’t do anything to increase their human capital in the job market while being unemployed because those businesses will continue to struggle regardless as those low wage workers aim for higher paid jobs with more stability.

Businesses need to learn to be more competitive like they tell employees all the time. The pendulum can swing both ways.
That's exactly it!! Ppl is mfn tiieed. You should never work full time yet earn more on unemployment!!! The system is broken the economy is a hoe and ppl know! The main industries struggling pay sh!t wages hence the shortage. The rest of the folks aren't willing to risk their health or family's health. The op says the avg benefit in MO is 200-300 wk. Plus the 300. So folks are making 600 a week and thats more than what they make at a full time job? That's pitiful. It's likely the same in many other states. These companies are trying to force Americans to work for low wages + risk their health. That damn vax isnt effect until at least 75% has it. It's nowhere that. Cases will be going back up. I hope that folks have been saving and don't rush out to find work+ stop spending money bc they can't afford to. This needs to backfire on the government. Bastards!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
93,169 4,441 3,877
Alleybux
The only reason minimum wage workers are “reassessing their pay” as you say, is because they now have a better option with unemployment payments.

Those of us who are salaried were not given better options during the pandemic. We have to create our opportunities to receive better pay.
What does that even mean? If you had a decent wage you get the max amount of benefits for yr state + the federal weekly amount which started at 600. In my state its a lil over 500 weekly max+600 at the time. Folks were making 1100 a week. Maaaannnny ppl don't make that. So there was your "opportunity". Now with it being only 300 extra many folks are no longer making what they made at work. It's in fact a pay cut but worth the trade off in so many ways. As for the min wage workers etc who are making more $$$ let them finally be able to pay all their bills and save and pay off debt. As anyone working 40 hrs should be able to do. Damn ain't that the "American nightmare"?????
Tbh some of yall are just really hateful and salty about these benefits. That folks work for! This ain't free money. Mfers went to work for this. What's it to yall anyway?

Reaction score
Reactions
93,169 4,441 3,877
Alleybux
I see your point. The $3600 would not have been provided in normal unemployment scenarios. I do support the fight for $15. Everyone should be able to afford a basic living standard working a standard 40 hours a week. Americans in general are underpaid. We need to raise the wages, and lower the cost of living. How this is done, I am not sure. But I do know that the current way of doing things is failing.
The person you commented to is very wrong and that is also a problem. Folks are straight up jealous over made up ass figures.. No state was paying 3600 in addition to other benefits. At first you got 600+your weekly benefits. There is a max. I'm guessing the highest is around 800 wk in Cali or NY. That's 1400 a week. But the min wage folks and gig workers had no weekly benefit amount traditionally so they were paid based off federal guidelines. Here in TX it was 207 a week plus the extra benefit. So at the beginning it was 207+600. That's a far cry from what all the haters act like. As if these folks are bringing in gs a week. Now with the extra benefit being only 300 it's 507 a week. Folks are pissed and seething over 507 a week!!!! America is full of it. If it's not racism it's sexism or ageism...in this case classism. How dare these ppl try to come up on the very system that keeps them down?? Amirite.