Quantcast

Morris Day's Unsung on TV One premieres 3/21/21

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
One of the reasons Prince refused to let them use the Time name was because all the music, production and concept was his to begin with and he said they'd be missing "their most important member" of the band - him.
Yes, and according to Jesse, when the name came up for sale, Terry asked everyone if they wanted to purchase it (Prince had been leasing it) -- but nobody wanted to buy; so Prince did.
The Time was successful because of its members, the energy and performance musicianship they brought -- but Prince was still a fundamental, foundational member. It was an awkward set up -- but got them a spotlight, an audience, with exposure they wouldn't have had otherwise. And Prince was already a successful songwriter -- his 2nd album sold 1 million copies within a few months. At the time, Morris was working at a car rental agency.

Last edited:

Plutonian

Sorceress
Reaction score
Reactions
13,830 1,888 1,637
Alleybux
One of the reasons Prince refused to let them use the Time name was because all the music, production and concept was his to begin with and he said they'd be missing "their most important member" of the band - him.
I think Prince would have benefitted from signing the Time to Paisley but he would have had to give them some creative space and respect. They were all super talented and many options elsewhere.

BedtimeStories

Only Prince knows for sure.
Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
I think Prince would have benefitted from signing the Time to Paisley but he would have had to give them some creative space and respect. They were all super talented and many options elsewhere.
He didn't need to sign himself onto Paisley :) Yes, they were talented and they also pursued their "many" options elsewhere. Some succeeded, others not so much. IMO, that's the problem. They saw him succeed widely and since they were all around the same age and from the same background, hepped up on their egos, they saw no reason why they shouldn't share in all of his success. The problem was that they weren't him and some have never accepted that their talent only went so far, which they found out when they ventured out on their own.

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
He didn't need to sign himself onto Paisley :) Yes, they were talented and they also pursued their "many" options elsewhere. Some succeeded, others not so much. IMO, that's the problem. They saw him succeed widely and since they were all around the same age and from the same background, hepped up on their egos, they saw no reason why they shouldn't share in all of his success. The problem was that they weren't him and some have never accepted that their talent only went so far, which they found out when they ventured out on their own.
Yep in hindsight they have been humbled.

Many just did not appreciate how they were kept from getting paid. Morris and others from the Time often mention how Prince kept the songs from the Time off of the PR soundtrack album.

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,407 1,791 2,496
Alleybux

Many just did not appreciate how they were kept from getting paid. Morris and others from the Time often mention how Prince kept the songs from the Time off of the PR soundtrack album.
Because it would have ruined the album

JDsCheekbone

Princes hazel eyes
Reaction score
Reactions
5,438 366 83
Alleybux
why the hate towards the Time all of a sudden?? to be honest Jam and Lewis & Morris day are very nice when speaking of prince despite the crap he put them through. Fans can talk all night long on how the time should be grateful but I doubt they would’ve tolerated prince’s behavior

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
why the hate towards the Time all of a sudden?? to be honest Jam and Lewis & Morris day are very nice when speaking of prince despite the crap he put them through. Fans can talk all night long on how the time should be grateful but I doubt they would’ve tolerated prince’s behavior

It started with Morris' book and his audacity to write about a man he actually knew. Unlike any of us here. None of these guys have said anything I would consider bad about Prince.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
It started with Morris' book and his audacity to write about a man he actually knew. Unlike any of us here. None of these guys have said anything I would consider bad about Prince.
Tell that to all the folks calling Prince an asshole in the comment sections under the MOrris day clips online. Harping over the same things after the fact years later is in fact saying something bad. But whatever. I will just wait for the Susannah Melvoin book and see how well you respond to her comments about Vanity...after all, she was there.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
And what did he put Jimmy and Terry through? They broke their agreement and he fired them but kept them on retainer. Paid them less than they thought they were worth. He also gave them opportunities they may not have gotten otherwise. Jimmy and Terry usually have a decent perspective about that. But Terry's comment blaming Prince for Morris' addiction even though as Laura pointed out it began before the Time was even formed is some horseshit and a way (IMO) of placing the blame on Prince entirely for the pressure Morris was dealing with (like the band didn't put some pressure on him too? Yeah right.)

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Just because you know someone doesn't mean you can't slant things or manipulate the press. I am pretty sure you would be somewhere in line to point out Prince' s lie in 1990 that Morris fired Jimmy and Terry. Right? Or would you have said Prince was talking about "a man he actually knew" (meaning Morris) and we shouldn't comment.

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux

If he had put their songs on the album and not given them their own album, I am sure some of them would have complained as well. Now, if they were expecting Prince to put them on the PR album and release an album just for them...well, that would just be Prince shooting himself in the foot. Talk about tipping the balance in their favor. Now they are on two albums and he would just be on one.

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
Because it would have ruined the album
A movie soundtrack is a movie soundtrack. They usually put the music from the movie. I love Prince but that was an interesting choice and I do not think it would have ruined the soundtrack.

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
If he had put their songs on the album and not given them their own album, I am sure some of them would have complained as well. Now, if they were expecting Prince to put them on the PR album and release an album just for them...well, that would just be Prince shooting himself in the foot. Talk about tipping the balance in their favor. Now they are on two albums and he would just be on one.
:unsure:

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
A movie soundtrack is a movie soundtrack. They usually put the music from the movie. I love Prince but that was an interesting choice and I do not think it would have ruined the soundtrack.
I kind of ruined Graffiti Bridge when he did that. Don't get me wrong. The Time music is great but it does kind of break up the vibe of the Purple Rain album. Plus, like I said, there is no pleasing folks. They got their own album. If they expected both their own album and their work on the soundtrack, that would kind of be prince shooting himself in the foot.

BedtimeStories

Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
It's not hate on my part. Having a discussion of the facts and trying to see P's POV doesn't make it hate. The Time was and always will be an excellent band. It's a shame P didn't get to finish his book.

JDsCheekbone

Princes hazel eyes
Reaction score
Reactions
5,438 366 83
Alleybux
And what did he put Jimmy and Terry through? They broke their agreement and he fired them but kept them on retainer. Paid them less than they thought they were worth. He also gave them opportunities they may not have gotten otherwise. Jimmy and Terry usually have a decent perspective about that. But Terry's comment blaming Prince for Morris' addiction even though as Laura pointed out it began before the Time was even formed is some horseshit and a way (IMO) of placing the blame on Prince entirely for the pressure Morris was dealing with (like the band didn't put some pressure on him too? Yeah right.)
So you would be okay with someone paying you pennys and purposely taking you off the bill in major cities so the mainstream press would not give them any publicity? And terry did not blame prince for Morris for his drug addiction

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
You'd be surprised what most people have to tolerate in order to develop their careers -- starting with no sleep in college.

BedtimeStories

Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
So you would be okay with someone paying you pennys and purposely taking you off the bill in major cities so the mainstream press would not give them any publicity? And terry did not blame prince for Morris for his drug addiction
Hold up - Prince was being paid pennies on the dollar by Warner's. Did you miss his decades fight with them over it?

anynameyouwish

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,820 666 389
Alleybux
Yes, he did blame him. He said it was the result of Prince's squeezing and pushing. What's pennies? Morris had enough to pay for cocaine. Its not like that sh!t is cheap. There is/was a musician's union and Prince's managers and handlers knew that the union would have a legal course of action if he paid lower than standard rates. I looked up info about the musician's union recently. Musicians are paid retainers just to be available, for rehearsals lasting past a certain amount of time, for after shows, for recording, for opening shows. When he took them off major city billings, Jellybean complained that he couldn't pay his mortgage during those times. But that's because he had to live off retainer pay. I don't think he lost his house as far as I know. Its all relative. Prince during part of that time (according to Dez) actually owed money to WB for Dirty Mind and Controversy tanking. And he took on the payrolls of quite a few people at the time---all his musicians (which was at least fifteen if you add up Vanity 6, the Time and his own band) plus the rest of the crew. He was also a young man (who never had a job outside of musician and had no dependent) with no sense of everyday living expenses. Mistakes were made, insecurities exposed. But it should be water under the bridge at this point.

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
I think that it is hard for people to understand Morris and Prince knew each other since they were teens. I think that they loved each other like brothers.
Prince was bringing his hometown people with them and it looks as if he did so successfully. Look at them all still doing their thing and making money from the fact they were part of his hometown circle way back when.

Plutonian

Sorceress
Reaction score
Reactions
13,830 1,888 1,637
Alleybux
I don't think the Time were seeking the type of fame that Prince was.
But, they were talented and would have been an asset to Paisley.
Prince signed many artists to Paisley but none were as dynamic as the Time in the time period they were in.
PFunk, Chaka, Mavis and Larry were all super-talented but all of their stars were fading; Mazerati was good but not great.
Even Prince said he was 'afraid' of The Time...however those types of artists will succeed anywhere and need to be treated well. Not all were mega super-stars like Jam and Lewis, but they were all successful.

BedtimeStories

Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
I don't think the Time were seeking the type of fame that Prince was.
But, they were talented and would have been an asset to Paisley.
Prince signed many artists to Paisley but none were as dynamic as the Time in the time period they were in.
PFunk, Chaka, Mavis and Larry were all super-talented but all of their stars were fading; Mazerati was good but not great.
Even Prince said he was 'afraid' of The Time...however those types of artists will succeed anywhere and need to be treated well. Not all were mega super-stars like Jam and Lewis, but they were all successful.
Prince's life...Prince's choices to make. Prince seemed to do pretty good for himself with the decisions he made.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
Tell that to all the folks calling Prince an asshole in the comment sections under the MOrris day clips online. Harping over the same things after the fact years later is in fact saying something bad. But whatever. I will just wait for the Susannah Melvoin book and see how well you respond to her comments about Vanity...after all, she was there.
You're exaggerating about the negative comments. For every post calling Prince an asshole, there are two or three saying how brilliant he was and he was the force behind all of them.

Oh. I've been waiting on SM's book for years. The sh!t storm it's going to cause will be glorious. And I'll be here talking plenty of sh!t. But, although I don't care for her, I don't irrationally hate her. And I'm not the one that keeps bringing her up. That's you. I wish you would come up with something new to try and "insult" me. I've never apologized and never will for being a Vanity fan.

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
I don't think Susannah Melvoin needs to write book because the propaganda that is being pushed every time the estate releases a song (despite the actual facts of Prince's life) is that she is the only woman he ever loved. I am still looking for photo evidence that they were ever even a couple.

Last edited:

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
I don't think Susannah Melvoin needs to write book because the propaganda that is being pushed ever time the estate releases a song (despite the actual facts of Prince's life) is that she is the only woman he ever loved. I am still looking for photo evidence that they were ever even a couple.
I really don't think she is going to write one. She's tells everything to Toure and Quest every chance she gets.

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,407 1,791 2,496
Alleybux
No most people would have brought their way out of the contract or waited for it to end. Then moved on with their lives. That is what most people who are not egomaniacs and on drugs would do.
The band did not write the songs so no royalties. They did not own the name and apparently they signed contracts with PRN productions and did not read what they signed. No one hates the The Time I think Prince had some great ideas with this project and he wrote some really good songs

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
Susannah always disses Vanity when she gets a chance.

Laurarichardson

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,407 1,791 2,496
Alleybux
It would have ruined the flow of a classic album and Morris had a chance to have his own album with music credits that he decided not to promote by walking off the job. Do you know at one Princess management wrote a movie for Morris to star in and originally he was going to go out on the road but the time and have Sheila E open for him. They were setting him up to be a solo act therefore it would’ve made no sense to stick the songs on the Purple Rain soundtrack. Considering things worked out really well with the soundtrack I kind of think prince knew best. You can look at Morris’s track record as a solo artist and you can look at Prince’s track record and I think we know who knew best.

Rox

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
37,701 570 145
Alleybux
Who pays Susannah any attention other then Toure? She is a grown ass women incapable of working I think that speaks volumes about her
Many Prince fans including the celebrities and authors of respected books on Prince listen and give validation to Susannah and whatever she says.

Tgal73

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
57,774 949 227
Alleybux
Who pays Susannah any attention other then Toure? She is a grown ass women incapable of working I think that speaks volumes about her
I don't think she's incapable. She's just never had to. She grew up well off. Then she met Prince. Who seemingly took care of her and her kids when her husband wouldn't.

BedtimeStories

Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
I don't think Susannah Melvoin needs to write book because the propaganda that is being pushed every time the estate releases a song (despite the actual facts of Prince's life) is that she is the only woman he ever loved. I am still looking for photo evidence that they were ever even a couple.
I've seen one photo of her that I believe Prince took, maybe 2. She was in a hotel room. I believe she's told that story somewhere. She is only one of the many women P loved. Maybe someday, she'll admit that :)

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
I've seen one photo of her that I believe Prince took, maybe 2. She was in a hotel room. I believe she's told that story somewhere. She is only one of the many women P loved. Maybe someday, she'll admit that :)
Was it a photo of her alone, or was it one showing that she and Prince were a couple in love? Haven't seen a photo showing even a hint of chemistry... do post if you find one.

BedtimeStories

Reaction score
Reactions
50,009 551 114
Alleybux
Was it a photo of her alone, or was it one showing that she and Prince were a couple in love? Haven't seen a photo showing even a hint of chemistry... do post if you find one.
It was photos of her on a bed. I'm quite surprised that none have ever shown up of the two of them considering they lived together.

Smokeypurple

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
13,877 127 29
Alleybux
It was photos of her on a bed. I'm quite surprised that none have ever shown up of the two of them considering they lived together.
He lived with Lisa Coleman, Jill and Vanity too, to name a few.
Even the videos and films with his girlfriends had chemistry going on... but coming up blank for Sus.

Here with Jackie St. Clair:

Prince & Jackie St. Clair.jpg

Last edited: