Mortal Kombat (2021) Discussion

Reactions
18,825 517 626
Alleybux
Currently watching but I knew it would be off when they didn’t have fucking Johnny Cage as a main character and he been there from jump.I love mortal kombat so im here

Last edited:
Purple Moon
Reactions
68,802 1,561 258
Alleybux
Movie was mediocre imo. The best character was Sub-Zero, and the worse was Cole Young. Boring asf, and the fact they left out Johnny Cage for him? And as a Mileena fan, I was disappointed with her. And how the hell Kitana wasn't in there? The gore and special effects were good. Movie was 10x better then MK: Annihilation though. But this is a one time viewing for me 6/10

Reactions
57,307 772 1,072
Alleybux
I was half way through when I blurted out where’s Johnny. This plot was meh. The action was great. I’m slightly disappointed. But they set the groundwork for a better one. Not happy what the did to Mileena. Kira a better be in the next and they better put some respect on her name!

Time Out
Reactions
8,406 1,065 2,510
Alleybux
Everyone rate the movie like school work

c - or d+ no plot no emotional connection to the charters barely a story but not thaaaat boring. ive seen worse films

Reactions
18,825 517 626
Alleybux
It wasn’t bad, bad I’ll give it 3.5/5 .The fight scenes were good IMO. We didn’t need the new character story line MK has soooo many storylines we didn’t need to make up one. If they would have taken that out and focused more on the main characters it would have been better. Not having Johnny didn’t make sense to me. Johnny should have been in this one so we would have the foundation for Cassie. I liked Kabal cause he been there from jump and they never gave him no shine. Them exploring their powers was cute cause they never really did that. It was really just the story that fucked it. It’s there but it’s not there. No Kitana? But like somebody said maybe this is the setup for the next filmed they can keep it going if they make sense. Story mode on the game gives a better illustration.

I liked Annihilation and I see y’all dragging it lol

Bene Gesserit
Reactions
209,929 3,292 818
Alleybux
I thought the movie was cheesy and very 90s. I had so much fun watching it.

I actually liked Liu Kang. He was vulnerable but could still whoop ass.

Cole was boring and I thought it was weird that he didn’t transform into Scorpion. Like what was the point of having him and his great great great great grandfather fighting together?? And the ages of his family was weird. His wife looked a lot older than him and he and his daughter had brother-sister chemistry.

I wish Kung Lao lived. He seemed like a cool dude and was one of the best fighters.

Kano was soooooo annoying.

Sonya and Jax felt like afterthoughts to me.

Subzero was eh.

It wasn’t a masterpiece but I enjoyed it. Would def watch a sequel

Reactions
57,740 748 279
Alleybux

Cole was boring and I thought it was weird that he didn’t transform into Scorpion. Like what was the point of having him and his great great great great grandfather fighting together?? And the ages of his family was weird. His wife looked a lot older than him and he and his daughter had brother-sister chemistry.

I wish Kung Lao lived. He seemed like a cool dude and was one of the best fighters.

Subzero was eh.

Low key wished liu died instead of kung lao lol.

Cafe Disaffecto
Reactions
739 5 1
Alleybux
I was expecting a popcorn action movie, and I got a popcorn action movie.
After the second half, the story got a bit weak...mostly for Cole Young, but I still enjoyed it.
Would have been cool to watch it at the movie theater with my endless supplies, sigh.

Dark Thoughts
Reactions
9,884 150 7
Alleybux
I thought the movie was ok. I think the biggest flaw was the choice of characters they chose to introduce especially with the antagonists. Hardcore MK fans might know/recognize some of them but for the more casual fans (for examaple, a lot of Shang Tsung's crew) weren't recognizable. Certain characters, like Mileena, have too much of a backstory to be casually introduced the way they were. They should have stuck to the OG characters in the first MK game and gone from there. I'm sure part of their decision to not do so was to set them apart from the MK movie that dropped in the 90s but there isn't enough emotional investment from most fans in the characters they went with in this movie.

I did like the ground work that was set for future films and in Scorpion's and Sub Zero's story line. I don't get the point of Scorpion's descendant though if Scorpion still exists. Kano was too much of a comic relief cliche for me to get into him especially with the pop culture references. I do like the "activating your arcana" explanation for why regular humans possess supernatural abilities but I don't like the angle of "killing a chosen warrior makes you the next chosen warrior." I guess depending on how you defeated them it makes sense but what if I managed to get the jump on a chosen warrior and killed them? Suddenly, I'm the next one to bare the mark?

Overall it was cute. The effects in general were really good. The fight sequences felt pretty standard. I'm surprised there wasn't more gore-y scenes but I guess they didnt want to over-do it. I'm interested enough to want to see a sequel but I feel like this fares better as a tv series than a movie.

The King of The Fall got the HOES PRESSED
Reactions
212,786 3,321 750
Alleybux
I thought the movie was ok. I think the biggest flaw was the choice of characters they chose to introduce especially with the antagonists. Hardcore MK fans might know/recognize some of them but for the more casual fans (for examaple, a lot of Shang Tsung's crew) weren't recognizable. Certain characters, like Mileena, have too much of a backstory to be casually introduced the way they were. They should have stuck to the OG characters in the first MK game and gone from there. I'm sure part of their decision to not do so was to set them apart from the MK movie that dropped in the 90s but there isn't enough emotional investment from most fans in the characters they went with in this movie.

I did like the ground work that was set for future films and in Scorpion's and Sub Zero's story line. I don't get the point of Scorpion's descendant though if Scorpion still exists. Kano was too much of a comic relief cliche for me to get into him especially with the pop culture references. I do like the "activating your arcana" explanation for why regular humans possess supernatural abilities but I don't like the angle of "killing a chosen warrior makes you the next chosen warrior." I guess depending on how you defeated them it makes sense but what if I managed to get the jump on a chosen warrior and killed them? Suddenly, I'm the next one to bare the mark?

Overall it was cute. The effects in general were really good. The fight sequences felt pretty standard. I'm surprised there wasn't more gore-y scenes but I guess they didnt want to over-do it. I'm interested enough to want to see a sequel but I feel like this fares better as a tv series than a movie.

I am talking about this now on the phone, the MK Universe has so many storylines that it is hard to deduce it to a singular film. It would be a lot better if they did if via TV series, it will be more fleshed out and detailed.

Last edited:
Black and Beautiful
Reactions
150,893 1,401 695
Alleybux
I thought the movie was okay. I give it a 2.5/5 stars. I like the origin story with Skorpion but Cole Young was an unnecessary addition. I wish that it was filmed tournament style because I love that aspect of the OG film. Why didn't Raiden seek out Jax, and Cole himself rather than have them risk their lives to reach the temple? If they are Earthrealm's last line of defense, shouldn't he have come to fetch each of them?

I wanted to know more back story about the Hanzo's daughter and how her line was continued. How did her bloodline reach the US? Some of this exposition could have been handled with a two minute flashback. Sonya could have come into her powers in the sequel because she was already a contender for killing off Kano. Kung Lao's death was meaningless.

The nods to the video games were cute. I wanted to hear a "Come Here!" from Skorpion. All we got was a "Get Over Here". Does Cole speak Japanese? He was an orphan so when/how did he come to understand Hanzo's native tongue? I guess we are supposed to chalk that up to movie magic. It was an underwhelming film but maybe the sequel will be better for the reboot. The movie was gorier than I expected it to be.

Black and Beautiful
Reactions
150,893 1,401 695
Alleybux

Subzero was eh.

I honestly thought that the daughter was his sister and the wife was his mother or aunt. Cole had no chemistry with anyone and his personality was as dry as wood. Kung Lao was a better fighter and character.

Looking sharper than a set of Ginsu knives
Reactions
114,047 879 378
Alleybux
It was ok and the action sequences was cool.

I love me some Lewis Tan (calm down lsa)

Didn’t know Kung Lao was in this movie but I’m here for it.

Sub-Zero vs Scorpion beef is dedication.

I like this Rai/den over the 95 version.

Too much Kano. He was annoying.

Evil Grows in me
Reactions
7,840 173 43
Alleybux
where do I start........

WHERE WAS THE TOURNAMENT??????

Was not a fan of a lot of the cast. Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Kabal & kung Lao was the stand out.

Not a fan of folks having a dragon mark needed to fight in the tournament.

Liu Kang was too gentle.

After Thanos, there is no excuses why CGI characters are still lookin crappy. They should have just brought back the Goro puppet.

There is too many characters in MK to need a original character. They could have just made Lewis one of the ninjas. Reptile or Noob. We didn't need the Scorpion storyline.

At this point just keep MK animated. The Animated movie Scorpions revenge was everything I wanted.

I don't think I want a sequel at this point. I think the YouTube mini series was a bit better than this.

Even the remix of the song sucked. Please do not pay for this.

The Culture

Celebrity News

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

Kholes quote ...... no w o r d s
Does anyone else side eye people who constantly post quotes? This women is 37 years old and still searching for quotes on the internet. It's lame...
9ja gist live 2021 (Brand New Tea Thread)
Aww, wish there was a way to send money while maintaining anonymity. Sending so much love instead. I think There is, on bitcoin if they have...
Elsa Majimbo
That she's unfunny, that they've never laughed at her videos, that she copied some other girls style of comedy (ronoh is her name she's on IG idk...
UPDATE Brittany Byrd addresses JT with some love and light type shade; JT responds again
Jt shouldve minded her business. Brit was beefing with uzi. She ain’t say nun about jt. Jt jumped into their beef. Abuse ain’t funny but if a mf...
Was I wrong in my FWB relationship? Come drag me if I was...
I understand what you're saying but I am.very much an empath. I may be wrong to say it was my empathetic nature but I'm not wrong about who and...
Twitter is upset with Ciara and Russell for paying woman’s tab @ restaurant and tipping
They’re mad at the woman for running up the tab, mad at Russell and Cici for paying for that woman instead of giving that money to charity...
Think my friend is avoiding me cause she’s jealous?
My only and best friend has been acting distant. Covid was hard for a lot of people but I used that time to better a lot of things in my life and...
SNL embarrassing themselves yet again with terrible 'Gen Z Hospital' sketch
Another week, another weak sketch from em aye? Never found them funny, but perhaps I’m too young for the jokes after all...I am gen z
anyone ever bought a duck/duckling??
I didn't realize buying ducks was a thing. Aren't they wild animals? They're all over my neighborhood due to the lakes and whatnot. I wouldn't...
Sanaa Rockin A Blonde Wig
Bae is literally perfect. She can do no wrong. Like ever. I love her ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Top Bottom