Quantcast

Most white teachers don't want to see their black students winning

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
Do any of you black students get a little intimidated or skeptical when you get assigned a white teacher for a class you're enrolled in? Ever since I had sort of a racist encounter with a white female math teacher in high school, I have always been skeptical about a white teacher and always question their actions towards me. I know that sounds bad but I can’t help it after my experience with one in high school.

This experience is why I always give the side eye to my white teachers:

I was enrolled in an Algebra 2 class and had a teacher named Mrs karen (fake name), I didn't think anything of her as she is not the first and the last white teacher i'll ever have due to me living in a white neighborhood for almost a decade and have never ever had a black teacher in my life. I started off the semester slacking a little bit and even had a C on the first test. At the time, I had no idea that I was very good in math, and was always scared to put in effort because of the way algebra looked. However, I was starting to get interested in the algebra course when we would have little white board "games'' and students loved trying to come up with the answer first, which made me want to participate for some reason. So I started paying attention and trying to learn all the algebra material we were learning each week for the weekly white board games. I started realizing how fun algebra was, it was like playing a game. The second test came around and I did exceptional than I ever did in the class. Mrs Karen was shook and looked like she was not expecting me to do this well. Getting an A on that test was what gave me the confidence to never feel intimidated by a subject that is considered “hard” I have this same confidence to this day in college. Anyway, with my new found confidence I started my habit of studying and trying to understand the material. Even though I understood all the material, at times I got stuck on really hard questions. So I would go up to her and ask her to explain the concept again, mind you this was very normal with all her students in the class, if we did not understand the material she would encourage us to ask her for help. However, this time I walked up to her as usual when I did not understand a question and simply asked for clarification. Tell me why Mrs Karen blew up on me saying "I am NOT your personal tutor, go figure it out yourself" I was shook because she was the teacher and is supposed to help me understand the class material. I finally figured she was lowkey hating from the moment I stepped into the class from past interactions I had with her but just ignored it. For example, she would try to make me look like the dumb black kid in front of a class full of white kids by explaining problems to me like I’m in kindergarten. She would draw a pizza on the board and cut it into slices and explain (you know those little kid problems used to explain fractions to a child) which was not even my question. It was so crazy to me. After she blew up on me in front of all the white kids, I realized her intentions and stopped asking for help. But she was my motivation to finish strong in the class without her help. I started studying real hard and youtube was my teacher and lifesaver. One by one, I started acing all the tests and she was SHOOK and even asked me what my “trick” was. I straight up told Mrs Karen that youtube was my teacher. As finals came up, she called me up and said I won’t be able to get an A and that if I did well on the final I would get an 89.something which I believe she could have rounded or she was lying. lastly, my transcript was a B when it should have been a B+ this woman wanted me to fail so bad.

Anyway, white people like her is what gives me the motivation I have today to excel in school and get a high paying job.

But after that experience, I have always side eyed white teachers and I just can’t help it. Do yall have this problem? Please feel free to share your experience.

Bux Heaux

Sprinkle Sprinkle
Reaction score
Reactions
289,115 13,951 8,694
Alleybux
They’re racist.

theyll easily yell at the black kids over the white kids too

My fav white Jewish teacher used to say so many of those teachers racist ass hell and say a lot of racist sh!t. She said “watch out” to us black kids saying we would have to work harder because they do have favoritism to those white students

O.o

Black Women Disproportionately @ Risk For Homicide
Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
Do any of you black students get a little intimidated or skeptical when you get assigned a white teacher for a class you're enrolled in? Ever since I had sort of a racist encounter with a white female math teacher in high school, I have always been skeptical about a white teacher and always question their actions towards me. I know that sounds bad but I can’t help it after my experience with one in high school.

I was enrolled in an Algebra 2 class and had a teacher named Mrs karen (fake name), I didn't think anything of her as she is not the first and the last white teacher i'll ever have due to me living in a white neighborhood for almost a decade and have never ever had a black teacher in my life. I started off the semester slacking a little bit and even had a C on the first test. At the time, I had no idea that I was very good in math, and was always scared to put in effort because of the way algebra looked. However, I was starting to get interested in the algebra course when we would have little white board "games'' and students loved trying to come up with the answer first, which made me want to participate for some reason. So I started paying attention and trying to learn all the algebra material we were learning each week for the weekly white board games. I started realizing how fun algebra was, it was like playing a game. The second test came around and I did exceptional than I ever did in the class. Mrs Karen was shook and looked like she was not expecting me to do this well. Getting an A on that test was what gave me the confidence to never feel intimidated by a subject that is considered “hard” I have this same confidence to this day in college. Anyway, with my new found confidence I started my habit of studying and trying to understand the material. Even though I understood all the material, at times I got stuck on really hard questions. So I would go up to her and ask her to explain the concept again, mind you this was very normal with all her students in the class, if we did not understand the material she would encourage us to ask her for help. However, this time I walked up to her as usual when I did not understand a question and simply asked for clarification. Tell me why Mrs Karen blew up on me saying "I am NOT your personal tutor, go figure it out yourself" I was shook because she was the teacher and is supposed to help me understand the class material. I finally figured she was lowkey hating from the moment I stepped into the class from past interactions I had with her but just ignored it. For example, she would try to make me look like the dumb black kid in front of a class full of white kids by explaining problems to me like I’m in kindergarten. She would draw a pizza on the board and cut it into slices and explain (you know those little kid problems used to explain fractions to a child) which was not even my question. It was so crazy to me. After she blew up on me in front of all the white kids, I realized her intentions and stopped asking for help. But she was my motivation to finish strong in the class without her help. I started studying real hard and youtube was my teacher and lifesaver. One by one, I started acing all the tests and she was SHOOK and even asked me what my “trick” was. I straight up told Mrs Karen that youtube was my teacher. As finals came up, she called me up and said I won’t be able to get an A and that if I did well on the final I would get an 89.something which I believe she could have rounded or she was lying. lastly, my transcript was a B when it should have been a B+ this woman wanted me to fail so bad.

Anyway, white people like her is what gives me the motivation I have today to excel in school and get a high paying job.

But after that experience, I have always side eyed white teachers and I just can’t help it. Do yall have this problem? Please feel free to share your experience.
Life is too short to put your confidence in other people's opinions of you.

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
They’re racist.

theyll easily yell at the black kids over the white kids too

My fav white Jewish teacher used to say so many of those teachers racist ass hell and say a lot of racist sh!t. She said “watch out” to us black kids saying we would have to work harder because they do have favoritism to those white students
Right, I always see them playing favoritism, which they don't even try to hide. It's sad that us black people have to always work twice as hard than white people to achieve the same thing, but I would say it's worth it.

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
Life is too short to put your confidence in other people's opinions of you.
it's not that i'm focused on their opinions, it's about not living up to their expectations of black people. They expect us to be dumb and earn really poor grades, they expect us to graduate with poor grades and not attend college, and they expect us to have a 9:5 job. I just refuse to live up to their screwed up expectations of us.

Mellie York

Ignorance is Bliss.
Reaction score
Reactions
495,601 18,050 3,371
Alleybux
There's only 1 white teacher in my education history that I can truly say that had my best interest at heart and that my science teacher from high school. She still helps me to this day with career/college work, but the rest of them IDK about :no2

Prettyeyes212

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
159,432 3,914 2,264
Alleybux
#keepblackkidsinblackschools2020

We had white teachers but they knew that racism mess wasn't going. We had a black principal and administration that went HARD for us

They knew what was up

thehoneydip

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
126,576 181 46
Alleybux
I’m lucky enough that the school I went to, all the white professors were “woke” they were all loud and clear about being against racism so I never dealt with that. They were more anti white than anti black if anything.

Taloolo

headin back to the drawing board
Reaction score
Reactions
8,899 175 111
Alleybux
she is not the first and the last white teacher i'll ever have due to me living in a white neighborhood for almost a decade and have never ever had a black teacher in my life.

I cannot say that all white teachers think this way. Growing up, I have seen and had white teachers treat us black students as well as other types of students (treatment was based off actions/behavior, as normal)

But another factor is that those teachers were used to having students from different backgrounds (diverse area). Don't know if they were racist or not but they never showed it through actions or our grades so they can keep it to themselves.

I strongly think it's because of the environment. Mrs Kkkaren has always been around whites and therefore is racist. I expect and notice this behavior from teachers used to having white students them, which is sad but the truth.

Edit: I also cannot just say whites because the most racist educator I had was Indian.

IndigoKnows

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,293 8,876 8,861
Alleybux
Wow, LSA is truly becoming exhausting with these type of threads. We get it, y'all think all white people are evil. Go move to a predominately Black area and be taught there then. Stop complaining and writing think pieces.

I'm so glad I've had nothing but good experiences with my white teachers (and I've always had white teachers throughout school, college, and grad school). When I was feeling suicidal in HS, my English teacher made sure to let me know she was there for me. When I needed recommendation letters, all my recommenders were White. Even right now, applying to doctoral programs, all of the professors who were so happy to write a letter for me were white and wished me all their luck. One of the professors (who also wrote my letter, btw) works at one of the schools I applied to and told me she'd be happy to offer any insight for my personal statement, etc. and said she'd be very happy to work with me again in her lab.

Recently, a video went viral where a black professor told a student who contracted COVID-19 (along with her family) that she wouldn't allow her to take an exam she missed. She was completely dismissive and even went as far to say that it isn't her responsibility to respond to her emails (the student had emailed her multiple times). The poor girl was begging and crying... and this happened on Zoom with other students.

And this isn't "capping" for white people or whatever. sh!tty teachers has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with their lack of passion, lack of care, and complete disregard for human decency and they are just there for a check. The generalization about white teachers is stupid and ignorant.

Nikki_04

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
54,621 1,663 839
Alleybux
That's why it's so important for parents to be involved in their kid's schooling. An involved parent would catch certain things some [racist] teachers do.

My mom was working two jobs and didn't have a lot of time to watch what was happening for me in school, but she knew I always got good grades. Well, my 8th grade math teacher didn't want to recommend me for the higher level math class for my freshman year. She said I wasn't ready (even though I had an A in her class). I was devastated, but didn't think there was anything I could do. Taking the lower level class in 9th grade meant I could not take Pre-Cal Honors my senior year. Well I was in that lower level math class for 1 week before my 9th grade math teacher transferred me to the higher level math class because he felt the lower level math class was too easy for me.

I have never forgotten how that teacher tried to sabotage me.

ExquisiteMelanin

Supporting Abused women regardless of race
Reaction score
Reactions
183,752 3,098 2,605
Alleybux

Yes those kind of teachers do exist.

Riley Yo

#BFLM
Reaction score
Reactions
46,297 2,709 71
Alleybux
This is a legit concern, it’s unfortunate that it will be met with gaslighting and deflection by some

Last edited:

imanutinahut

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
43,561 2,262 182
Alleybux
Behavioral modification professor wouldn't write me a recommendation letter because I got an A- in his class and I would have gotten an A if I did his extra credit project. I had orgo, bio and physics. His class was the only break my brain got that semester. I didn't have time for extra credit. The extra credit would have let me know more about you he said. I was also there to ask about joining his lab for research purposes, he said it would be difficult to get in also because of the project and because psychology wasn't my main field.

I really sat there like :confused: tf. Months later chilling and waiting on participants for my research lab, I watched some girl ripping his lab manager postings off the walls and was like welp I guess he was an asshat to her too.

May he be eaten by his unfortunately modified pavlovian cats. :rolleyes: ugh this odious pretentious bish was doing it to his family. I also did some modification on my cat, but not my family. My lil baby knew sit, go to your tree, come here, lay down, up up for jump, speak, and shush for quiet if he was doing the most.

Fa11enAng3l

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,455 367 6
Alleybux
I grew up in a majority white, small, conservative city in Texas. I had pretty great teachers up until I had a Quebecois woman named Ms. Dupuis for French in the 8th grade.

First week of classes, she went off on me when I asked for the work that I had missed assuming that I had skipped school. My parents had gotten permission to pull me out of school for 3 days for a family matter.

My parents couldn't afford a printer and we had weekly quizzes due where we had to print out the Homework confirmation slip. I exhausted all my options before I came to her. I explained this to her and she said "Oh well." I even asked if there was an alternative assignment that I could do instead. She said no. So straight off the bat, 10% of my grade was in jeopardy.

She'd treat me like an idiot and would roll her eyes at me. Yelled at me if I didn't contribute and straight up ignored me if I tried to. There were several times where I would be the only one raising my hand and she would be like "Anyone?" and then move on. But when I wouldn't bother raising my hand next time, she would yell at me saying I never contribute. She would go on rants (directed at me) in class about how some people expect to get an easy grade with no effort and would look me straight in the eye with these long pauses:LOL:. If she cared to look at my grades, she would've seen I had straight As in all my classes.

She would bring exactly 29 treats for a class of 30 and deliberately would skip over me and be like "Oops, I guess I brought too few." This happened more than once so I caught on.

The thing is everyone loved her. I couldn't see why at the time. I seemed to be the only one who thought she was terrible. Then I realized I'm the only black kid in this class. She's only directing this negative energy towards me and no one else. At this point, I had never had racism this upfront from an adult in a classroom setting before, so I was hesitant to call it for what it was. I thought maybe she doesn't like my work ethic or maybe she wants me to try harder. So I would try harder, but she was always throwing obstacles.

I finished with an 88 (my first B) in her class and she straight up said she considered me a failure because I wasn't trying hard enough if I got below a 90. :atwitsend

Man, F her. This experience still pisses me off at 25! I get triggered whenever I hear on the news (or anywhere really) of a black child facing racism from a teacher, nurse, doctor, etc. What kind of person would behave this way towards a kid? These are the people we are sending our kids to to learn from or for their health and some really couldn't give a damn.

When I joined high school the next year, I met another black girl who had had her for French. Before I even said anything, she said "That teacher was racist." Her experience mirrored mine.

Last edited:

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
I cannot say that all white teachers think this way. Growing up, I have seen and had white teachers treat us black students as well as other types of students (treatment was based off actions/behavior, as normal)

But another factor is that those teachers were used to having students from different backgrounds (diverse area). Don't know if they were racist or not but they never showed it through actions or our grades so they can keep it to themselves.

I strongly think it's because of the environment. Mrs Kkkaren has always been around whites and therefore is racist. I expect and notice this behavior from teachers used to having white students them, which is sad but the truth.

Edit: I also cannot just say whites because the most racist educator I had was Indian.
I definitely agree that all white teachers aren't racist towards their black students. I have had incredible white teachers in the past and even had multiple this semester. I just can't help but have my guard up a little due to my previous experiences with white teachers, one being the experience I shared.

But yea location does factor in, where I am located I am always the only black kid in class. It's very uncomfortable, but i believe the teachers are only used to having white students and tend to have a bit of racist tendencies.

chance

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
5,695 46 6
Alleybux
#keepblackkidsinblackschools2020

We had white teachers but they knew that racism mess wasn't going. We had a black principal and administration that went HARD for us

They knew what was up

This isn't the case for every black school. I remember back in high school I got suspended for three days by black security guards at a predominantly black high school for not going to lunch so that I could get help with my homework from my teacher. What’s funny is that I got suspended for actually trying to learn but there were people that got caught smoking during school hours and they had no consequences. The best decision for me was leaving that school.

Last edited:

Ashy to Ashes

Land of the Free...Somebody Lied
Reaction score
Reactions
95,666 2,518 1,863
Alleybux
I’ve had more bad teachers than good so I don’t know why society treat them as a whole like they’re heroes. I remember I got a B on an English AP paper and the *********** teacher told me I wasn’t going to be successful in the class and sent me to regular English where most students were not white. Fast forward to today and I write for a living. Some of these b!tch ass teachers are fµck!ng devils.

SheIam

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
26,027 1,357 959
Alleybux

This subject is such a trigger that gives me a instantaneous case of PTSD that I cannot even kick it about this subject like I normally would-it's that triggering. I'm too busy right now and can't put myself in this mode right now.

In short though, to be fair, mostly (black and white) I've had some awesome mentor and teacher-student relationships developed.

As well though, I had two (white teacher) horror stories where they fought HARD to ensure I not succeed in these particular (upper level/social science) classes.

Funny thing is, with Africans-these same white teachers won't bother. Black (Americans) though...that's another story (that I simply cannot delve into right now).

Being black and not attending an HBCU, once you've experienced scholastic/educational systemic racism, you spend a lot of time signing up for your necessary classes and sitting in for a couple of days soliciting eye contact and feeling out the teacher and THAT is such an unfair task and unnecessary time NO ONE should have to put up with!

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
Wow, LSA is truly becoming exhausting with these type of threads. We get it, y'all think all white people are evil. Go move to a predominately Black area and be taught there then. Stop complaining and writing think pieces.

I'm so glad I've had nothing but good experiences with my white teachers (and I've always had white teachers throughout school, college, and grad school). When I was feeling suicidal in HS, my English teacher made sure to let me know she was there for me. When I needed recommendation letters, all my recommenders were White. Even right now, applying to doctoral programs, all of the professors who were so happy to write a letter for me were white and wished me all their luck. One of the professors (who also wrote my letter, btw) works at one of the schools I applied to and told me she'd be happy to offer any insight for my personal statement, etc. and said she'd be very happy to work with me again in her lab.

Recently, a video went viral where a black professor told a student who contracted COVID-19 (along with her family) that she wouldn't allow her to take an exam she missed. She was completely dismissive and even went as far to say that it isn't her responsibility to respond to her emails (the student had emailed her multiple times). The poor girl was begging and crying... and this happened on Zoom with other students.

And this isn't "capping" for white people or whatever. sh!tty teachers has nothing to do with race. It has everything to do with their lack of passion, lack of care, and complete disregard for human decency and they are just there for a check. The generalization about white teachers is stupid and ignorant.
Nobody is saying white people are evil, I am just sharing an experience I usually have with white teachers. I have had many but this experience I shared is one that has stuck well with me. Of course, I have had wonderful white teachers in the past but I feel like a lot of them do tend to have a little bit of racist tendencies towards their black students, which can drastically affect the future of black students.

I haven't heard about the viral video of the black professor but that's honestly sad and disgusting of him. White teachers are not the only ones that can be racist but they are the ones that generally target black students with their racist ideology.

It's a known fact that racism still occurs in schools and black people are the ones that are mostly affected by this, mainly from white teachers. I am glad you have had good experiences with white teachers though.

Last edited:

Cassav

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,364 777 187
Alleybux
I could say something but it may derail this thread, screw it.

Black teachers can be a problem too. IMO.
I don’t want to derail this thread more but my 3rd grade teacher was black (afro latina) and it wasn’t a pleasant experience. Before her I loved school so much. I see these new black teachers from the millennial generation are progressive so I’m happy the new generation of kids get to experience that. I did have a lot of ignorant white teachers throughout my schooling but that experience with my 3rd grade teacher really disappointed me.

FruitCake

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,309 964 335
Alleybux
I’m lucky enough that the school I went to, all the white professors were “woke” they were all loud and clear about being against racism so I never dealt with that. They were more anti white than anti black if anything.

My school was the same. It was very multiracial (the students) but most of the teachers and admins were white and bigotry, bullying, or racism of any kind was not tolerated. It was a breath of fresh air from my middle school.

anangelxo

I don't fix typos.
Reaction score
Reactions
76,078 2,720 1,089
Alleybux
I don't recall having many problems with white teachers other than one professor. My problems were with the academic counselors. Those b*tches would try to put me in lower level classes than what I signed up for (and qualified for based on previous grades) and would discourage me from taking certain classes because it would be "too difficult".

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
I grew up in a majority white, small, conservative city in Texas. I had pretty great teachers up until I had a Quebecois woman named Ms. Dupuis for French in the 8th grade.

First week of classes, she went off on me when I asked for the work that I had missed assuming that I had skipped school. My parents had gotten permission to pull me out of school for 3 days for a family matter.

My parents couldn't afford a printer and we had weekly quizzes due where we had to print out the Homework confirmation slip. I exhausted all my options before I came to her. I explained this to her and she said "Oh well." I even asked if there was an alternative assignment that I could do instead. She said no. So straight off the bat, 10% of my grade was in jeopardy.

She'd treat me like an idiot and would roll her eyes at me. Yelled at me if I didn't contribute and straight up ignored me if I tried to. There were several times where I would be the only one raising my hand and she would be like "Anyone?" and then move on. But when I wouldn't bother raising my hand next time, she would yell at me saying I never contribute. She would go on rants (directed at me) in class about how some people expect to get an easy grade with no effort and would look me straight in the eye with these long pauses:LOL:. If she cared to look at my grades, she would've seen I had straight As in all my classes.

She would bring exactly 29 treats for a class of 30 and deliberately would skip over me and be like "Oops, I guess I brought too few." This happened more than once so I caught on.

The thing is everyone loved her. I couldn't see why at the time. I seemed to be the only one who thought she was terrible. Then I realized I'm the only black kid in this class. She's only directing this negative energy towards me and no one else. At this point, I had never had racism this upfront from an adult in a classroom setting before, so I was hesitant to call it for what it was. I thought maybe she doesn't like my work ethic or maybe she wants me to try harder. So I would try harder, but she was always throwing obstacles.

I finished with an 88 (my first B) in her class and she straight up said she considered me a failure because I wasn't trying hard enough if I got below a 90. :atwitsend

Man, F her. This experience still pisses me off at 25! I get triggered whenever I hear on the news (or anywhere really) of a black child facing racism from a teacher, nurse, doctor, etc. These are the people we are sending our kids to to learn from or for their health and some really couldn't give a damn.

When I joined high school the next year, I met another black girl who had had her for French. Before I even said anything, she said "That teacher was racist." Her experience mirrored mine.
Wow, I am truly just disgusted with your teachers immature behavior. I don't understand how someone can just look at a person skin color and just hate on them for that specific reason. I am so sorry you had to deal with that. Many of us deal with this on a daily basis but it seems like we will never be taken seriously smh We just gotta keep working twice as hard and never living up to their expectations.

SoulfullyMe

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,329 462 696
Alleybux
This subject is such a trigger that gives me a instantaneous case of PTSD that I cannot even kick it about this subject like I normally would-it's that triggering. I'm too busy right now and can't put myself in this mode right now.

In short though, to be fair, mostly (black and white) I've had some awesome mentor and teacher-student relationships developed.

As well though, I had two (white teacher) horror stories where they fought HARD to ensure I not succeed in these particular (upper level/social science) classes.

Funny thing is, with Africans-these same white teachers won't bother. Black (Americans) though...that's another story (that I simply cannot delve into right now).

Being black and not attending an HBCU, once you've experienced scholastic/educational systemic racism, you spend a lot of time signing up for your necessary classes and sitting in for a couple of days soliciting eye contact and feeling out the teacher and THAT is such an unfair task and unnecessary time NO ONE should have to put up with!

I get where you're coming from but I'm black (American) and this was a well known fact at my school and I still got treated poorly. I think they give us the same treatment whether we are black or african american.

I am so sorry you had to go through that. I know exactly how you feel with having ptsd and having to remember those past experiences with your teachers, it really is a traumatizing experience. Sending a virtual hug!

IndigoKnows

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
165,293 8,876 8,861
Alleybux
Nobody is saying white people are evil, I am just sharing an experience I usually have with white teachers. I have had many but this experience I shared is one that has stuck well with me. Of course, I have had wonderful white teachers in the past but I feel like a lot of them do tend to have a little bit of racist tendencies towards their black students, which can drastically affect the future of black students.

I haven't heard about the viral video of the black professor but that's honestly sad and disgusting of him. White teachers are not the only ones that can be racist but they are the ones that generally target black students with their racist ideology.

It's a known fact that racism still occurs in schools and black people are the ones that are mostly affected by this, mainly from white teachers. I am glad you have had good experiences with white teachers though.

Okay, I understand!
Sorry for being so quick to call you ignorant.

eeksad

spoiledwater

Proud Elder Millennial
Reaction score
Reactions
539,734 16,181 6,462
Alleybux
I honestly had some really great teachers, outside of a couple of them.

I know not everyone's experience is like this though, and the ones that were terrible do still stand out.

Fa11enAng3l

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,455 367 6
Alleybux
Wow, I am truly just disgusted with your teachers immature behavior. I don't understand how someone can just look at a person skin color and just hate on them for that specific reason. I am so sorry you had to deal with that. Many of us deal with this on a daily basis but it seems like we will never be taken seriously smh We just gotta keep working twice as hard and never living up to their expectations.

Thank you, I appreciate that :)

Yes, it really is a serious problem that is met with deflection and gaslighting (as Riley Yo said above). My friends/peers seemed to think that something I was doing was setting her off. They didn't know what though. "But she's so nice!" they would say. I knew they wouldn't understand. It's incredibly frustrating.

That being said, I had an awesome experience overall with most of my teachers while growing up there. There has been two who I got racist vibes from. One of them being this teacher who was by far the worst.

Last edited:

O.o

Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
it's not that i'm focused on their opinions, it's about not living up to their expectations of black people. They expect us to be dumb and earn really poor grades, they expect us to graduate with poor grades and not attend college, and they expect us to have a 9:5 job. I just refuse to live up to their screwed up expectations of us.
You should refuse to think about what they think about you.

You'll never be free in life carrying that sh!t around lying a rotting stinking corpse.

It literally doesn't matter what other people THINK about you.

It only matters what YOU think about you and what YOU do to reach your goals in life.

Why burden yourself with fear, self hatred and self loathing?

You need to FREE YOUR MIND so that you can live your life.

99% of people you meet are not even thinking about you because they've got their own lives and their own problems on their own minds.

Take your time and focus on your self.

O.o

Reaction score
Reactions
401,375 11,864 9,185
Alleybux
You'll never get anywhere in life worrying about what other people think.

When you're ready to be free, here's a great thread on learning how to exist without fear

https://www.lipstickalley.com/threads/barakhenaten-5d.1231919/page-545#post-65349408

Are we supposed to sit around like a bunch of cowards worrying about what white people say, and think about us?

This seems like either a troll post OR a negative psy-ops post to trigger Black people who've experienced real discrimination.

The K-12 public education IS NOT DESIGNED TO BENEFIT Black people.

So if you're in it, you need to A) MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS

and

B) MAKE IT WORK FOR YOU

If you're experiencing discrimination you can always file a complaint with the Dept of Education office of civil rights within the time frame of the statute of limitations of the incidents.

Your life will be short and miserable worried about white people and/or their opinions.

fµck those people and everything they stand for.

Why are you focused on THEM instead of FOCUSING ON YOU.

You have to use YOUR BRAIN and ENERGY to make your life better.

Use your time, energy and thoughts wisely because you create your reality and future.

SparkleSpaz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
79,544 1,707 727
Alleybux
Honestly, my biggest issues have been with Black female teachers (both in Elementary and College,) Foreign-born teachers and then with White female teachers.

In my Intro to Sociology class, my Black female professor was into the whole ADOS imagery and was all "We were (her family) able to trace our lineage back to before slavery" and was religious leaning/conservative, and she ass kissed a lot of the white students over Black students and minority students.

The one White teacher I had an issue with was also in my freshman year of college who was always late to class, graded late AND harshly, and would always say little slick racist sh!t. I remember she got tore up in class cause she was saying her kids private school was better until they "let more scholarship kids in" and how parents were hooting and hollering at graduation (this was said because we weren't allowed to clap for one another after someone would present in class,) and everyone lit her the fµck up but especially the former private school kids lit her ass up. Not to mention, her ass worked two jobs to put her kids through school, so her hate of "scholarship kids" was because her ass didn't qualify for one.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
On an elementary and high school level, I feel there are a lot of white teachers who want their kids to succeed. Now on a college level, from what I've experienced is there are teachers who support certain black students. Yet they're less likely to help black students who aren't if their "loop." If that makes any sense. I feel like the people who graduate from HBCU's make better connections. Connections are everything when looking for a job. I am so serious.

For instance, my first year of Graduate School I had a Black female professor that really help me out. I actually flunked a class. Yes, I know. My health was poor and I was working with no insurance. It just sucked. Anyway, she gave me an I, and let me take the class second semester for FREE. I saw her at my job and didn't get a chance to speak. I guess she left the College and was doing other things. Anyway, my goal is to find her and just thank her. I left that University and ended up at another College were I was very successful but I just appreciate that black woman so much.

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,498 831 193
Alleybux
Idk if I would say this was due to racism per see. But I'll bite.

In high school (UK) I've never been super good at maths so as expected I was consistently in the lower sets for class and was constantly pushed to do a foundation paper (The highest grade you can get in this is a C) even though I really wanted to do the higher paper (where the highest grade I could get was an A*).

I consistently asked my maths teacher if I could move to another set and do the higher paper because I had a better chance of getting a good grade, but she refused. And to make matters worse she wasn't a good teacher at all, it wasn't until my black friend put me on to her maths tutor, that I began to understand things a bit better and just like you said op (Some topics in maths, became like a game). Several kids from my low set got tutors and when the ww maths teacher found out, she got slightly irked by it and said that she would help us and that we were wasting our money on tutors. But my grade in maths stayed STAGNANT until I got the maths tutor that helped me with plenty of practice papers and then I was able to pass the paper easily.

I wouldn't say it was racism necessarily (there were different races of students in my maths class, that wanted to do a higher paper like me) but there does definitely seem to be a 'stay in your place and don't bother aspiring TOO high' mentality.

RaRaRaHu

The petty princess
Reaction score
Reactions
52,930 1,520 1,308
Alleybux
I've only met like 1 racist teacher. Most of my teachers have been white and there were no problems. One was even really helpful and wanted to see all of us succeed.

AfroFire

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,096 1,005 381
Alleybux
I know that am late to this thread but this also happens in Europe. I experienced this as a child in Holland, and its very common there