Quantcast

Moving to L.A. with only $1000 in my account..

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,415 494,963 222,860
Alleybux
Op wants to go to LA for the sun, the beach, and to wear her sunglasses during the day and night. She wants a little excitement in her life, and hey, there's nothing wrong with that. It's just not all it's cracked up to be, and you won't know that until you go. However, LA has it's good side. Just gotta take the good with the bad.
I stated I wasn’t going.. also, peep my previous post before this one.

Fluxion

Male font in a woman's world.
Reaction score
Reactions
18,452 2,225 2,612
Alleybux
Op, even though some of these people are mean, I think some of them are trying to stop you from making a huge mistake that'll set you back a long ways. You're at a crossroad right now, and the road you take will either set you up for success or a horrible life. I really want you to walk down the right path. I've taken horrible paths myself and my life didn't go the way I wanted to. Just don't want other people to make the same mistake. Go where you'll be successful and independent forever, not where you can have fun for a few months or a year, and then it's back to living with family for god knows how long.

Does New York suck so bad? Why not look for a job there? Anyway, follow your heart, but be careful.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Does New York suck so bad? Why not look for a job there? Anyway, follow your heart, but be careful.
Following your heart vs using your head.. both can lead you astray. I’m staying in NY, as I decided that moving to L.A. off of impulse might not be the best idea.

dollparts

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,093 3,087 2,226
Alleybux
The hourly pay rate has increased in souther states? Cause I was just in North Carolina

Don’t go to ATL, you will get stuck with the majority of black people who go there without a job.

Move to Texas or Florida, those are the only states worth living in.

ericandrehotpac

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
17,340 648 216
Alleybux
Okay. I’m still in NewYork state. No plane ticket bought or anything. However, I still typed this thread to inputs. Thanks for your kindness.

There are women-only boarding houses in NYC for short term housing. On the next visit to DSS inquire about them and or call the local helpline to inquire about such services.

dollparts

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,093 3,087 2,226
Alleybux
Following your heart vs using your head.. both can lead you astray. I’m staying in NY, as I decided that moving to L.A. off of impulse might not be the best idea.

Find a place to stay consistently for 30 days and immediately contact the US Postal Service online and have your address changed. Get all your bills even if it’s just a cellphone out in a New York address. You need to do this NOW and no later than a week from now!

Jean Nate

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,328 353 97
Alleybux
$100 a month..
But leaving before April would only be about one payment to him.
So where is the rest of your money going?? If you’re only paying $100 in rent, theoretically you should have plenty left/saved to have gotten an apartment by now (well before all of this happened w the guy you’re staying/stayed w). Also, as many have stated, any landlord/management co. will want to see that you have steady employment, not just UE. I work in Real Estate & this is most definitely the case. I really do hope the best for you.

BayAngel

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,408 729 339
Alleybux
Timing is everything. Now is not the right time to move to LA. That should be a long term goal. Your short term goal should be to move from an abusive situation which you said you’re in the process of doing.

Bend N Snap

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,034 317 17
Alleybux
There is so much good advice and warnings about LA on this thread ty guys. Also can u share the "sketchy scenarios" and types of common scammers in LA?

Well for example I booked an Airbnb to stay at for a few weeks and when I got to the address there was no apartment, it was literally just an alley way - the host then called and said they give a fake address for “safety” reasons and would come pick me up to take me to the “real” address. I cancelled the booking and blocked them so fast. Another time I was visiting LA prior to moving here, booked an air Bnb and on the second night someone tried unlocking the door, the host had double booked the apartment and given them the code to the lock box! At the same place I was getting dressed and the MAN the host employed as a cleaner unlocked the apartment, walked in and started taking something from the bedroom without even acting like anything was amiss. I also had a friend who once booked and paid for an air Bnb and when she got there the place was locked up with an eviction notice on the door.

I also noticed when I was shopping around on air Bnb for a place to stay for a month that there are a lot of hosts based in China, they own multiple apartments, but they’ll only use photos of one, and when you’ve booked and paid you actually get sent to a different apartment, sometimes not even in the same building and usually never as nice, clean, safe etc as the one they use photos of.

lemon_drop

Been On these LSA Streetz for a Decade
Reaction score
Reactions
27,026 1,091 565
Alleybux
I get $1924.00 every month, which is why I mentioned renting an AIRBNB between $600-$700 monthly. But thanks for your input.
Chile..now ya story suddenly makes zero sense. How TF u get almost 2k a month but u still 'forced' to live w/ that disrespectful, hostile, weirdo? Even if you can't get approved for an apartment for whatever reason, you could still easily rent a hotel for way less than 2k a month.

I definitely empathise w/ ya situation but something is NOT adding up. Many ppl don't even make 2k a month working full time.

lemon_drop

Been On these LSA Streetz for a Decade
Reaction score
Reactions
27,026 1,091 565
Alleybux
yeah, it’s cheap if you live in the projects lol. and considering the murder rate here, i don’t recommend that. average rent for a decent 1bed/1bath is over $1,000.
Currently live in Charlotte & I agree. Homeless population has exploded since Covid & there's 'tent cities' of homeless popping up all over the city, especially near Uptown smh. It's so sad. Plus it's top 5 fastest growing cities in the US so the job market has been incredibly fµck!ng competitive in recent years. You're correct about the murder rate too. U stay in Charlotte too?

liacashmere89

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
84,663 4,753 3,071
Alleybux
I've lived in L.A. my entire life . . . DO NOT DO IT!!!! You will fµck around and run out of money real quick. Do you know how many people came out here with more money than a $1,000 and now they're stuck and living in a tent on skid row. Unless you have a friend's couch to sleep on, Do Not Do it! I'm begging you.
I'm also born and raised in LA. It's overcrowded and expensive! People come here from small towns everyday and be right on skid row!

If you have LESS than 10,000 in savings don't even try coming here. Apartments in the hood are even 1200-1500 for a 1 bedroom now! *I can't wait to move :cry:

BlkGrlLux444

Material Gworl
Reaction score
Reactions
12,195 620 372
Alleybux
Currently live in Charlotte & I agree. Homeless population has exploded since Covid & there's 'tent cities' of homeless popping up all over the city, especially near Uptown smh. It's so sad. Plus it's top 5 fastest growing cities in the US so the job market has been incredibly fµck!ng competitive in recent years. You're correct about the murder rate too. U stay in Charlotte too?

Sad to hear about Charlotte...I lived there for a few before Covid in South Park. I lucked up and found a condo for cheap because the owner was going thru a divorce...$1200 including utilities. I miss that place :cool:

Now that I recall when I stayed near the college near Tryon St...I heard gunshots at times but I didn't have a problem.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Chile..now ya story suddenly makes zero sense. How TF u get almost 2k a month but u still 'forced' to live w/ that disrespectful, hostile, weirdo? Even if you can't get approved for an apartment for whatever reason, you could still easily rent a hotel for way less than 2k a month.

I definitely empathise w/ ya situation but something is NOT adding up. Many ppl don't even make 2k a month working full time.
It adds up perfectly fine. UI gives you payments every week, not every two weeks. So that’s $481.00 every Tuesday.

Lexytheblasian

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
48,692 199 22
Alleybux
Please don’t do it.

I visited an old friend in LA and was shocked at his living conditions. He worked 3 jobs at the time and he could still only afford very sketchy living quarters in a pretty run-down building. He told me space was tight, but what I saw isn’t what I had in mind.

I kid you not - his “studio apartment” wasn’t much bigger than a storage area at a small law firm or something. I try not to judge folks’ living situation because I don’t live in the fanciest place myself, but at least it’s big enough for 1-2 people to live comfortably. His living room, kitchen and bedroom were all one teeny tiny area with one window. Even his mattress took up entirely too much space. It was pretty bad and I was very concerned about him. This was back in 2015.

And I’m also concerned about you and your current living situation. Check around for shelters and such in your area that can maybe help you get off your feet because your current living situation doesn’t sound good at all.

I’m sending much love, light and positivity your way. Please keep us updated on your situation.

Last edited:

Llama Mama

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,696 63 6
Alleybux
It adds up perfectly fine. UI gives you payments every week, not every two weeks. So that’s $481.00 every Tuesday.
That is all well and good but it is not going to last forever. Are you looking for a job? Did you get out of that apartment? I may have missed that.
I know you are looking at some place for $875 this week but, in the meantime, hope you are in someplace safe.
Again, landlords do not want someone without a steady income and UI is not that.
Don't make a big move without some sort of plan. And, a back-up.

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,178 7,434 1,115
Alleybux
Well for example I booked an Airbnb to stay at for a few weeks and when I got to the address there was no apartment, it was literally just an alley way - the host then called and said they give a fake address for “safety” reasons and would come pick me up to take me to the “real” address. I cancelled the booking and blocked them so fast. Another time I was visiting LA prior to moving here, booked an air Bnb and on the second night someone tried unlocking the door, the host had double booked the apartment and given them the code to the lock box! At the same place I was getting dressed and the MAN the host employed as a cleaner unlocked the apartment, walked in and started taking something from the bedroom without even acting like anything was amiss. I also had a friend who once booked and paid for an air Bnb and when she got there the place was locked up with an eviction notice on the door.

I also noticed when I was shopping around on air Bnb for a place to stay for a month that there are a lot of hosts based in China, they own multiple apartments, but they’ll only use photos of one, and when you’ve booked and paid you actually get sent to a different apartment, sometimes not even in the same building and usually never as nice, clean, safe etc as the one they use photos of.

Yo that is crazy. Im glad you are ok. To show up and no airbnb is there . Woah. I hope airbnb refunded you. That should not even be a listing on there like that.

kingdomini

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,660 2 3
Alleybux
tenor.gif

12south

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,757 781 246
Alleybux
This is exactly what I did when I moved to LA and NY.

Rent out Airbnbs until you can find a stable place because some come in much cheaper.

When I moved to LA I found a room for $500 a month in North Hollywood. Go on Roomi.com or Facebook Marketplace.

You can move anywhere with $1000.

but were those places consistently clean? Were the people respectful? It seems like the cheaper the rent, the dustier the tenants sometimes.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
This is exactly what I did when I moved to LA and NY.

Rent out Airbnbs until you can find a stable place because some come in much cheaper.

When I moved to LA I found a room for $500 a month in North Hollywood. Go on Roomi.com or Facebook Marketplace.

You can move anywhere with $1000.
Just now seeing this. Thanks.

FinessePrince

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,645 549 517
Alleybux
OP and everybody who posted thank you. I'm planning on moving to LA in the fall and have money saved up and I'm sure there are some good tips in this thread.