• Total voters

Crzycoolgeek

Misunderstood Villian- I stand with Will
Reaction score
Reactions
149,571 7,157 3,120
Alleybux
Hey Ladies,

I'm shaking mad right now. My boss took my proposals for her own and completely tricked me.

Back story: My boss is a Jewish woman. She hired me and also promoted me all within a year. She left my original team and took me with her (the promotion) cause she loves my work ethic and my work background. (So she said)

This lady took 2-3 weeks off to go get married. In that time our team had to come up ul with a program plan to present to the department head.

Before she left she kept going on and on about how I would do the work and get credit, that she's setting me up to take her job when she leaves in the fall. Included me in the upper management meetings etc.

So in the 2 weeks I bust my ass getting the proposal together. Trying to include everything everyone wanted researched numbers the whole 9. Even her boss (one of her besties, afro dominican) was like shes so grateful, I did so much work.

Now she came back and edited my proposal to 1 pagers and included some minor things she knew the depth head wanted to see. Cool.

The first time we presented she completely left me out or gave me a small part to present. At the time I was like whatever cause the person we presented to wasn't the person approving. This was a Friday

She calls me on Monday and says "I want to apologize for taking over the presentation. **** thought I did the work and I'm sorry it came off like that. That shouldn't have happened" I'm like ok wierd. Now Tuesday we present to the assistant dept head and she does the SAME THING except she completely shut me out and this was a conference call so you can't even see me. I'm not sure if she even introduced me cause I came in a couple mins late.

It was so bad the fist person we presented to (male) had to jump in at the end and say " I just want to thank CCG she did come up with a some of the ideas" then the white women started "yeeessss, thank youuuu. You diiiddd" blah blah blah.

This lady was gonna let the meeting end with ppl thinking I did nothing or she did most. We hang up and she calls me 2 seconds apologizing like crazy. Saying she wasn't prepared and didn't know they were gonna ask her to preent she got carried away and did the whole thing.

Since then I've been very short with her. Doing the bare minimum. She asks my opion and I just say sounds good. Before then we were really close.

Guys I'm telling you I cam up with the contacts, connections. Numbers and plans I even did the plan with NO BUDGET in mind or very little. The whole time she was prepping me to do the plan she used languge like "this is your work, you own this" Came back and praised my work as well.

Question: what should be my next steps? Shes going away again and is putting me in charge of the planning, organizing etc basically taking over her job and I cant even look at the b!tch. I don't even believe her ass is leaving. I have a feeling she's gonna come back and take all the credit again. But at the same time I do have to do my job and her boss (director of our unit) is expecting me to take over again. I just don't want to be that black person that gets played does all the work and gets overlooked for promotions. I started looking for other work but this job is stable and has amazing benefits. Not sure what to do here without loosing my standing but getting credit.

Yes everyone was shared on my rough draft emails but you know they don't read sh!t.

TlDR: My boss asked me to create a program plan while she was gone convincing me it would help me get her position when she left. Came back and preented all my ideas without any shootouts or recognition.

Crzycoolgeek

Reaction score
Reactions
149,571 7,157 3,120
Alleybux
sorry didn't mean for this to be so long but no one in my life would understand the nuances here.

Some more background we are a team of 5 (including my boss) I'm the only black person and the only woman. The only person with a degree in the work that we do. The guys that I work with are lazy as hell. And either don't know or pretend not to know certain things so all the heavy lifting gets put on me. Especially when deadlines are involved.

AnjeeBanjee

Gratuitous
Reaction score
Reactions
104,810 2,305 964
Alleybux
It sounds like that is what you are there for. If you can take it (I don’t see how, unless you are handsomely compensated) do it and put it on your resume as - you created these ideas (list ideas) for (her name)

or if it’s not worth it, be gone and let her return to your absence.

p.s. if there’s a boss above her, you could try going to them

don’t go to HR, they are going to listen and send you back to handle it within the department

JustBlockEm

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,384 381 30
Alleybux
When is this event?
Who is her boss? Are they aware of her absences?

This has happened to me except it was a huge investor event -
This lady took 2-3 weeks off to go get married. In that time our team had to come up ul with a program plan to present to the department head.

Tekka

Reaction score
Reactions
15,802 550 1,132
Alleybux
Dont do her job and you can STILL put it on your resume because its your plan. She is using you. She gets the credit and bonus if any. Do the job you were hired and are paid to do.

ProductFiend

Sally ain't got nuffin' on me!
Reaction score
Reactions
72,381 5,007 6,365
Alleybux
Keep all your research material in case you need to ever prove the ideas originated from you AND add it to your resume. Bosses often "take credit" or don't verbalize recongnition where it is due. Unless it is causing you some pay issues or a job advancement, I wouldn't sweat it. Show up to your meetings on time and be accounted for.

Crzycoolgeek

Reaction score
Reactions
149,571 7,157 3,120
Alleybux
When is this event?
Who is her boss? Are they aware of her absences?

This has happened to me except it was a huge investor event -

She's leaving for another month to take her honey moon. Yes they know. She got away with taking so much time by telling upper management I would handle everything.

While she'sgone we (I) have to get the program off the ground. We are a new unit and need to show we can do numbers.

Dont do her job and you can STILL put it on your resume because its your plan. She is using you. She gets the credit and bonus if any. Do the job you were hired and are paid to do.

I'm just afraid of that white woman pettiness. If they call up for a reference and she deny me doing the work.

Her boss (my boss to) is her best friend. They even denied my vacation so I would be around this summer to do the work because both will be gone. Told me I can take my time the end of September. I haven't taken a vacation in almost a year.

ProperGent36

Micah Johnson, Freedom Fighter
Reaction score
Reactions
30,533 4,794 5,375
Alleybux
This is corporate America in a nutshell. How are you surprised? Learn and make sure you get your proper credit next time. Don't let her see you sweat. Next time, YOU do the same thing she did to you. Then you call her apologizing and acting dumbfounded. It seems you are being fast tracked though. She promoted you within a year. So continue to play your cards right. What if she does give you her position after she leaves? Would that be worth it?

Last edited:

Xxxpensive

The Realest Housewife
Reaction score
Reactions
101,258 2,642 459
Alleybux
I understand why you're heated. You mentioned that she recently got married. Can you steal her man as payback?

queendan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,597 187 67
Alleybux
Moving forward keep a paper trail of the work you're doing on any project and always put your name on it.

CC everyone on the team including her boss on anything you send to her. Always find a way to insert yourself in presentations as well. If she pauses while speaking you slide in there and use that moment to show that you were an integral part of the project.

Tekka

Reaction score
Reactions
15,802 550 1,132
Alleybux
She's leaving for another month to take her honey moon. Yes they know. She got away with taking so much time by telling upper management I would handle everything.

While she'sgone we (I) have to get the program off the ground. We are a new unit and need to show we can do numbers.

I'm just afraid of that white woman pettiness. If they call up for a reference and she deny me doing the work.

Her boss (my boss to) is her best friend. They even denied my vacation so I would be around this summer to do the work because both will be gone. Told me I can take my time the end of September. I haven't taken a vacation in almost a year.

Look for a new job. Do NOT do a job you arent paid to do. You don't work on charity! Dont give white people your gifts and talents for free.

queendan

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,597 187 67
Alleybux

Leave her name off of everything. If she asks why say that you thought the project was handed over to you as she was on vacation.

chelley

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,836 1,266 1,292
Alleybux
Unfortunately, this is the name of the game. Start cc'ing her boss so s/he is aware of the work you're submitting. Also, talk to her about it and tell her your concerns. I also make sure documents created in Microsoft Office say "Created by Chelley" or I will add that to reports, code, etc.

LaVieBoheme

Block and ignore the racists. Don’t feed them.
Reaction score
Reactions
358,286 10,573 2,206
Alleybux
Moving forward keep a paper trail of the work you're doing on any project and always put your name on it.

CC everyone on the team including her boss on anything you send to her. Always find a way to insert yourself in presentations as well. If she pauses while speaking you slide in there and use that moment to show that you were an integral part of the project.

Leave her name off of everything. If she asks why say that you thought the project was handed over to you as she was on vacation.

I agree with this advice. @crazyccolgeek
Always get everything in writing. When she verbally tells you she's grooming you for her position, or that she is giving you a project ALWAYS follow up with an email detailing the conversation.

For example:

Hi Elaine, per our conversation today, I'm excited that you said you will be recommending me for your position.

Since you were away last month, I was able to: [list and outline each thing you did on the project].
Unfortunately, as we spoke about, there was a failure to acknowledge my leadership on this project. Before I am tasked with another project to lead, I would like going forward that my name is associated with all of my work, and that I am given ten minutes during all presentations of my work to speak on it.

Rest assured that the project is in good hands with me, and I hope you enjoy your honeymoon.

EliteBeautie

BusiiBodii
Reaction score
Reactions
76,638 2,052 1,595
Alleybux

This sounds like she did give credit just not in the moment you expected to receive it.

If she is praising you in rooms your are not in that carries more favor than patting you on the back in public ma’am.

Also, you had a team member speak up for you in the second meeting when she didn’t so everyone sees what you bring.

Don’t get so caught up in needing this one persons validation that you do not see others who notice your work as well.

BelleAtl

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
279 2
Alleybux
Unfortunately, what your supervisor did was/is typical in a corporate work environment. Do NOT go to HR. You may be correct but they will see you as a potential liability moving forward. It may effect your chance for upward mobility.

You have to learn to advocate for yourself. Dont be afraid, don't wait for direction. Speak up and often, tactfully.

As an example, after the introduction or at the conclusion, chime in and say something along the lines, "before we get begin, I spent several weeks..., I compiled the data..., should you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me directly."

Interject where you feel more clarity would help but always state how you were involved in the process, i.e. when I located the data... per MY research..., etc.

This is why I hate corporate America. You have to be strategic with everything that you do.

Crzycoolgeek

Reaction score
Reactions
149,571 7,157 3,120
Alleybux
This sounds like she did give credit just not in the moment you expected to receive it.

If she is praising you in rooms your are not in that carries more favor than patting you on the back in public ma’am.

Also, you had a team member speak up for you in the second meeting when she didn’t so everyone sees what you bring.

Don’t get so caught up in needing this one persons validation that you do not see others who notice your work as well.

I understand what your saying. but telling ppl I can get the work done, have good work ethic is different then letting ppl know I came up with 80% of the program. the person that spoke up at the very end was cool but it came off ass a pity shout out.

I'm a black woman so I'm always aware of if I come off as a leader/able to hold my own then as coming off as support. I don't need her validation but i do need her to give my credit for my work cause best believe she'll gladly take the plan and present it as her own when she's interviewing for the next position.

Crzycoolgeek

Reaction score
Reactions
149,571 7,157 3,120
Alleybux
I agree with this advice. @crazyccolgeek
Always get everything in writing. When she verbally tells you she's grooming you for her position, or that she is giving you a project ALWAYS follow up with an email detailing the conversation.

For example:

Hi Elaine, per our conversation today, I'm excited that you said you will be recommending me for your position.

Since you were away last month, I was able to: [list and outline each thing you did on the project].
Unfortunately, as we spoke about, there was a failure to acknowledge my leadership on this project. Before I am tasked with another project to lead, I would like going forward that my name is associated with all of my work, and that I am given ten minutes during all presentations of my work to speak on it.

Rest assured that the project is in good hands with me, and I hope you enjoy your honeymoon.

This would look bad and probably disqualify me. We are union and there is a guy on my team that wants my position and if someone that fucks with him or doesn't fµck with her read it or catch wind they wil throw us under the bus.

Unfortunately, what your supervisor did was/is typical in a corporate work environment. Do NOT go to HR. You may be correct but they will see you as a potential liability moving forward. It may effect your chance for upward mobility.

You have to learn to advocate for yourself. Dont be afraid, don't wait for direction. Speak up and often, tactfully.

As an example, after the introduction or at the conclusion, chime in and say something along the lines, "before we get begin, I spent several weeks..., I compiled the data..., should you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me directly."

Interject where you feel more clarity would help but always state how you were involved in the process, i.e. when I located the data... per MY research..., etc.

This is why I hate corporate America. You have to be strategic with everything that you do.

love all these suggestions. Honestly I'm used to ppl being cut throat but taking my sh!t for their own and having to be strategic about my intelligence is killing me. I'm already dealing with a team of men that don't work and always confused and having to be creative with giving direction or getting what I need

EliteBeautie

BusiiBodii
Reaction score
Reactions
76,638 2,052 1,595
Alleybux
I understand what your saying. but telling ppl I can get the work done, have good work ethic is different then letting ppl know I came up with 80% of the program. the person that spoke up at the very end was cool but it came off ass a pity shout out.

I'm a black woman so I'm always aware of if I come off as a leader/able to hold my own then as coming off as support. I don't need her validation but i do need her to give my credit for my work cause best believe she'll gladly take the plan and present it as her own when she's interviewing for the next position.

Idk how you feel about Charlamange and Andrew Schulz ... but when this topic comes up I always think about this podcast they did years ago that really gave me a new perspective and maybe it will give you one as well.

I’ll post the link below.

You are similar to Andrew prospective as he values getting credit as well. But at what point does being completely caught up in needing credit limit your field of vision for your 5year or 10 year plan?

Harping on this could very well give you temporary relief only to be the cause of your upward mobility becoming stagnant.

I will say there is a middle ground that should be explored. Speaking up like the Font mentioned after my post sounds like a way to managed this grey area if it’s not overly done.

BelleAtl

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
279 2
Alleybux
This would look bad and probably disqualify me. We are union and there is a guy on my team that wants my position and if someone that fucks with him or doesn't fµck with her read it or catch wind they wil throw us under the bus.

love all these suggestions. Honestly I'm used to ppl being cut throat but taking my sh!t for their own and having to be strategic about my intelligence is killing me. I'm already dealing with a team of men that don't work and always confused and having to be creative with giving direction or getting what I need

Girl, I already know! Honestly, It's exhausting but you got it! Always make sure that YOU are covered (CYA) and over prepared, document/save everything. Be nice but don't take ANY sh!t. Good luck!!! DM if you ever need to vent/advice.

JustBlockEm

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
19,384 381 30
Alleybux
Don’t use her as a reference. Do you have other personal references? My friends are always my references.

When a company calls they are only looking to verify your place of employment.

I’ve been in your situation and I advise you to look for another job NOW.

QueenDelta

Just here for banter
Reaction score
Reactions
6,033 95 84
Alleybux
I haven’t been in this position before so no advice to give. Just wanted to say congrats on the quick promotion and all the work you put in for this proposal!

In terms of being worried about references I didn’t realize companies still did that? I’ve had 3 different jobs in corporate and never had to submit a reference. They just contact my previous employer to verify my employment dates.

Trending Threads

News Alley

Celebrity News

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom