Quantcast

My credit score dropped 41 points for NO REASON. Idk what to do

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,689,530 494,987 222,873
Alleybux
I've been working on building my credit for the past year and went from the 500s to 740s. Today, I get an email saying my credit score dropped. I checked my accounts (Credit Wise, Credit Sesame) and its showing my score at 703 when it was at 743!! Like wtf! I pay all my bills on time, my credit usage is wayyyyy less than 30%, I haven't gotten any new cards, nothing in collections, debt to income ratio is under 5%. Its like as soon as I get close to 750, my score mysteriously drops and I'm pissed.

I looked at score factors and the only changes that stood out to me were:

My credit utilization went from 8% to 4%. My credit limit increased $125. My credit age went from 10 months (idk why it was 10 months) to 4 years and 4 months. That's it. There's nothing else that could point clues to why my score dropped so substantially. Any fonts experienced with credit building have any insight here? I'm so frustrated rn

GreenEyedDevil

Hairy Lesbian
Reaction score
Reactions
266,544 12,269 4,624
Alleybux
I'm pulling this out of my ass, but I wonder if they drop scores for people who freaquently purchase items associated with Black people in Cantu or Jordan's.

In this country I dontdoubt any lengths people will go to maintain racism.

layli567

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,294 638 179
Alleybux
I'm not an expert, but you may need more of a credit mix. My credit score dropped when I finished paying off my car and went back up when I got a personal loan.

evrdr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
135,453 2,712 986
Alleybux
Student loans? You didn't mention any but mine dropped due to that yesterday. The hold or whatever they had on them is over.

gooroo

Sipping tea since 2016
Reaction score
Reactions
87,640 1,970 131
Alleybux
If you have an unused credit card sitting around the company might have closed the account and that will impact your score. Pull a copy of your credit report from the 3 agencies and dissect it to find out. It will be relatively easy to get your score back up if you have all your ducks in a row.

teapothot

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,068 473 82
Alleybux
I can't say for sure but I think credit companies a full of hot sh!t sometimes. Cause a year ago my credit score was around 850 not a single thing changed in 2 months. Literally nothing changed and my score dropped 30+ points just like that. Then a couple months later went back up 20+ points.

I swear their 'formula' is based on boredom sometimes.

Cybilbhvr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,656 2,036 1,384
Alleybux
I've been working on building my credit for the past year and went from the 500s to 740s. Today, I get an email saying my credit score dropped. I checked my accounts (Credit Wise, Credit Sesame) and its showing my score at 703 when it was at 743!! Like wtf! I pay all my bills on time, my credit usage is wayyyyy less than 30%, I haven't gotten any new cards, nothing in collections, debt to income ratio is under 5%. Its like as soon as I get close to 750, my score mysteriously drops and I'm pissed.

My credit utilization went from 8% to 4%. My credit limit increased $125. My credit age went from 10 months (idk why it was 10 months) to 4 years and 4 months. That's it. There's nothing else that could point clues to why my score dropped so substantially. Any fonts experienced with credit building have any insight here? I'm so frustrated rn
See if you have any hard inquiries on your credit report, because they can mess you up. Also double check, but I think raising your credit limit on your credit cards can be a negative, even if you are not using the credit.
The formulas are tricky.
If you have credit monitoring through your bank, a personal banker can also tell you what happened and what makes your credit better or worse.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I'm pulling this out of my ass, but I wonder if they drop scores for people who freaquently purchase items associated with Black people in Cantu or Jordan's.

In this country I dontdoubt any lengths people will go to maintain racism.

Lmaooo but the thought did cross my mind

I'm not an expert, but you may need more of a credit mix. My credit score dropped when I finished paying off my car and went back up when I got a personal loan.

I only have 3 credit cards at the moment, but only use two. The other has carried a 0 balance for the past few months, so I wonder if that's a factor

Student loans? You didn't mention any but mine dropped due to that yesterday. The hold or whatever they had on them is over.

I do have student loans, but I haven't heard of the hold, though. I thought that was extended through Jan 2022: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/covid-19

If you have an unused credit card sitting around the company might have closed the account and that will impact your score. Pull a copy of your credit report from the 3 agencies and dissect it to find out. It will be relatively easy to get your score back up if you have all your ducks in a row.

I do have an unused credit card, but it doesn't look like it's been closed. I'll have to pull my credit reports and see whats going on because a 41pt drop is substantial

I can't say for sure but I think credit companies a full of hot sh!t sometimes. Cause a year ago my credit score was around 850 not a single thing changed in 2 months. Literally nothing changed and my score dropped 30+ points just like that. Then a couple months later went back up 20+ points.

I swear their 'formula' is based on boredom sometimes.

Sis, I swear. Its all a bunch of bs -- whether you play by the rules or not they'll find a way to screw you over

Genovese

Glitter Addict
Reaction score
Reactions
75,448 3,430 1,201
Alleybux

My credit utilization went from 8% to 4%. My credit limit incrt eased $125. My credit age went from 10 months (idk why it was 10 months) to 4 years and 4 months. That's it. There's nothing else that could point clues to why my score dropped so substantially. Any fonts experienced with credit building have any insight here? I'm so frustrated rn

Go to Experian and check your score. Credit Sesame and Crdit Karma are not accurate. Check all 3 of your credit reports. It should be free if you sign up with the Experian app. It will give you full details of why your score dropped.

HelenSade

Ladies, Take His Draws!!!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
246,348 4,734 1,266
Alleybux
You posted what I was going to post, some companies will close a card or account that hasn't been used in a while and that affects your score. And yes it happens without notice, so don't think they'll contact you.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
See if you have any hard inquiries on your credit report, because they can mess you up. Also double check, but I think raising your credit limit on your credit cards can be a negative, even if you are not using the credit.
The formulas are tricky.
If you have credit monitoring through your bank, a personal banker can also tell you what happened and what makes your credit better or worse.

No recent hard inquiries. The only thing that's changed credit limit-wise is my limit increased on my secured card by $125. I'll have to pull my reports or reach out to my bank to find out what happened.

Cybilbhvr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
44,656 2,036 1,384
Alleybux
No recent hard inquiries. The only thing that's changed credit limit-wise is my limit increased on my secured card by $125. I'll have to pull my reports or reach out to my bank to find out what happened.
Call your credit card and ask them if they did a hard pull on your credit card to 'raise your limit'.
Just this morning I was told that credit line increases use hard pulls, because I damn sure asked before requesting one. I declined.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Go to Experian and check your score. Credit Sesame and Crdit Karma are not accurate. Check all 3 of your credit reports. It should be free if you sign up with the Experian app. It will give you full details of why your score dropped.

I just checked all 3 credit reports on Experian and its showing my credit score in the mid 600s. This is insane tbh. I have no idea whats going on. Even the credit score my credit card companies are reporting (703) is a lot higher

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Call your credit card and ask them if they did a hard pull on your credit card to 'raise your limit'.
Just this morning I was told that credit line increases use hard pulls, because I damn sure asked before requesting one. I declined.

I'll definitely reach out and ask!

evrdr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
135,453 2,712 986
Alleybux

I only have 3 credit cards at the moment, but only use two. The other has carried a 0 balance for the past few months, so I wonder if that's a factor

I do have student loans, but I haven't heard of the hold, though. I thought that was extended through Jan 2022: https://studentaid.gov/announcements-events/covid-19

I do have an unused credit card, but it doesn't look like it's been closed. I'll have to pull my credit reports and see whats going on because a 41pt drop is substantial

Sis, I swear. Its all a bunch of bs -- whether you play by the rules or not they'll find a way to screw you over
The "hold" (can't think of the right word) was extended until Jan. but I think they have added interest already. Credit Karma said that was why mine dropped.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
The "hold" (can't think of the right word) was extended until Jan. but I think they have added interest already. Credit Karma said that was why mine dropped.

florida-evans-damn.gif

Reaction score
Reactions
12,671 258 87
Alleybux
I’m saying what if credit companies target Black consumers by targeting products marketed and associated via media by us? Idk
It may sound crazy at first, but I had the same thought when I had to enter my zip code to find out what interest rate I could get on a savings account. Could be unrelated, but I wouldn’t put it past them.

heyleauxx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,118 825 153
Alleybux
I just checked all 3 credit reports on Experian and its showing my credit score in the mid 600s. This is insane tbh. I have no idea whats going on. Even the credit score my credit card companies are reporting (703) is a lot higher

Credit karma, credit sesame, & even most banks are using the same scoring system which is not the real FICO score. Some banks actually do which could be why you are seeing 600's . The two systems grade different. I personally take anything like credit karma & credit sesame with a grain of salt and only use to keep tabs on quick alerts & activity. I pay for myfico $40 plan every couple of months for full update.

If you plan on making a purchase any time in the future you'll need to ask what scoring system they use bc plenty on ppl get upset finding out it isn't credit karma with the bigger score its the fico which is usually 100-200 points off.

CHEEZITQUEEN

King Tutan-Con-Man and his Felonious Bunch
Reaction score
Reactions
79,983 1,975 684
Alleybux
Yup. I stopped relying on the Vantage Score CreditKarma uses, and receive a free 3 bureau report through my Wells Fargo mortgage account once a month.

I had the same issue with my score dropping almost 20+ pts. and I noticed it was after one of my creditors were paid in full on October and my old student loans accounts through Sallie Mae and AES were removed (aged out).

Last edited:

CatThot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,521 2,793 1,294
Alleybux

Maybe it has to do with credit utilization. It seems that is the only thing that changed.

Did you start spending more when your limit increased?

CatThot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,521 2,793 1,294
Alleybux
Credit karma, credit sesame, & even most banks are using the same scoring system which is not the real FICO score. Some banks actually do which could be why you are seeing 600's . The two systems grade different. I personally take anything like credit karma & credit sesame with a grain of salt and only use to keep tabs on quick alerts & activity. I pay for myfico $40 plan every couple of months for full update.

If you plan on making a purchase any time in the future you'll need to ask what scoring system they use bc plenty on ppl get upset finding out it isn't credit karma with the bigger score its the fico which is usually 100-200 points off.
Does the myfico show all your fico scores?

Faygo

Let's go faygo
Reaction score
Reactions
7,933 2,299 3,488
Alleybux
idk why you so worried. i have near a 800 credit score. pretty useless majority of da time. i ain't saying dont have good credit. it helps when buying cars and houses obviously. but these ain't daily activities either. cash is still king, and people wit more cash den u will buy da car and da house as priority over a good credit score.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux

That's a good point, since Credit Sesame, Credit Karma and such all use Vantage scores. I upgraded my account with Experian to get a better idea of my score and I'm hovering at the high 600s, smh. I don't plan on making any big purchases, luckily. It's just crazy that my score isn't as high as I thought it should be, even though my payment history is exceptional, I keep my credit utilization consistently under 10% and my debt to income ratio is super low. I'm still digging on Experian but found a few discrepancies that look off, especially in regards to my payment history.
Yup. I stopped relying on the Vantage Score CreditKarma uses, and receive a free 3 bureau report through my Wells Fargo mortgage account once a month.

I had the same issue with my score dropping almost 20+ pts. and I noticed it was after one of my creditors were paid in full on October and my old student loans accounts through Sallie Mae and AES were removed (aged out).

Yeah it looks like the balance of a card I'm an authorized user on was paid in full. A couple of my student loans aged out too but when that happen my score jumped substantially. It's just weird

Maybe it has to do with credit utilization. It seems that is the only thing that changed.

Did you start spending more when your limit increased?

No, I usually keep my spending under 10% with my cards.

mdhlife

I have spoken ...
Reaction score
Reactions
36,708 2,150 1,090
Alleybux
What the hell ?
what kind of vicious cycle is this ?
You need credit to maintain your credit score
some bµllsh!t

mdhlife

I have spoken ...
Reaction score
Reactions
36,708 2,150 1,090
Alleybux
idk why you so worried. i have near a 800 credit score. pretty useless majority of da time. i ain't saying dont have good credit. it helps when buying cars and houses obviously. but these ain't daily activities either. cash is still king, and people wit more cash den u will buy da car and da house as priority over a good credit score.
+1

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux

I feel you. I just want to keep my score up so when the time comes for me to invest in a home or car, I can confidently do so. But you're right, cash is king so I keep my savings up. Back when my score was trash, having a crazy high savings balance is what helped me get my new place. I just try to stay on top of this stuff cause its a slippery slope, especially with credit

heyleauxx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,118 825 153
Alleybux
Does the myfico show all your fico scores?

Yes All three bureaus but it depends on the plan you choose.

this also! the yts are already pressing to get rid of or lessen the priority for fico scores because they were effected heavily by covid. It humbled them when credit cards closed or limit cut in half or not getting approved for loans despite the high score...

Brother Mouzone

We don’t run from where we come from
Reaction score
Reactions
358,912 10,150 3,000
Alleybux
Your score can fluctuate depending on your utilization on the day your cards report.

You might have paid it off in full on the 4th when it was due But the credit card company's reporting date may be the 1st.

Go to myfico.com and read the message boards on credit scoring

CatThot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,521 2,793 1,294
Alleybux
Yes All three bureaus but it depends on the plan you choose.

this also! the yts are already pressing to get rid of or lessen the priority for fico scores because they were effected heavily by covid. It humbled them when credit cards closed or limit cut in half or not getting approved for loans despite the high score...
I'm asking about the different fico scores... do they show your fico 8, 9, 5, etc..

1639004910583.png

RichAndFab

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,792 1,033 353
Alleybux
cry? jk jk OP im sorry I would be truly hurt but idk usually on my reports when there is any change to my score it shows why.. do you have credit karma? it def shows what changed your score and Experian will too sometimes

im guessing you lost something on your account like a card closed or you paid off a loan account - do you use affirm and things like that (I never had a decrease in my score bc of it but maybe? )

aquakit

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
5,787 239 131
Alleybux

Do you have any open accounts that are/were in negative ( regardless of if it is paid on time)?
Did you pay off an installment loan? When you finish paying an installment loan, it will drop your points but will increase later on
Other than that, it could be your utilization. Make sure you You pay off cards in full or however amount by closing date. That amount is what is posted to the bureaus

gooroo

Sipping tea since 2016
Reaction score
Reactions
87,640 1,970 131
Alleybux

You said you are using 2 of the 3 cards. How much are you putting on those cards and are you paying them off each month? Not trying to be nosy but trying to see why your score plummeted by so many points.

gooroo

Sipping tea since 2016
Reaction score
Reactions
87,640 1,970 131
Alleybux
That's a good point, since Credit Sesame, Credit Karma and such all use Vantage scores. I upgraded my account with Experian to get a better idea of my score and I'm hovering at the high 600s, smh. I don't plan on making any big purchases, luckily. It's just crazy that my score isn't as high as I thought it should be, even though my payment history is exceptional, I keep my credit utilization consistently under 10% and my debt to income ratio is super low. I'm still digging on Experian but found a few discrepancies that look off, especially in regards to my payment history.

Yeah it looks like the balance of a card I'm an authorized user on was paid in full. A couple of my student loans aged out too but when that happen my score jumped substantially. It's just weird

No, I usually keep my spending under 10% with my cards.
Ahhh, OK. So if you are an authorized user on someone else's card it could also impact your score.

gooroo

Sipping tea since 2016
Reaction score
Reactions
87,640 1,970 131
Alleybux
Your score can fluctuate depending on your utilization on the day your cards report.

You might have paid it off in full on the 4th when it was due But the credit card company's reporting date may be the 1st.

Go to myfico.com and read the message boards on credit scoring
This is what I am wondering as well.

heyleauxx

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,118 825 153
Alleybux
I'm asking about the different fico scores... do they show your fico 8, 9, 5, etc..

View attachment 3156623

you asked me about the three bureaus and I gave you the answer to that question. . Which was yes . There is only one myFICO and that screenshot is from them lol so yes they supply you with those scores if you paid for the subscription that includes it.

CatThot

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
80,521 2,793 1,294
Alleybux
you asked me about the three bureaus and I gave you the answer to that question. . Which was yes . There is only one myFICO and that screenshot is from them lol so yes they supply you with those scores if you paid for the subscription that includes it.
Hold up why you coming at me with an attitude? I did not ask about the 3 bureaus I asked about fico scores, go back and reread. I did not mention anything about the 3 bureaus

gooroo

Sipping tea since 2016
Reaction score
Reactions
87,640 1,970 131
Alleybux
Hold up why you coming at me with an attitude? I did not ask about the 3 bureaus I asked about fico scores, go back and reread. I did not mention anything about the 3 bureaus
I mentioned the 3 bureaus. Sorry if I caused confusion.