"My Husband Treats his kids like second class citizens!"

Divakim89

Pretty On Fleek
Reaction score
Reactions
128,769 7,945 8,863
Alleybux
Thought on this?

My take: I grew up like this where the adults could only eat the crabs and seafood and kids could eat other things. My mom would buy bulk snacks for us at Sam's club and always keep her expensive treats for herself. Is this odd?

Here's the original article...basically wife is complaining about her husband buying them expensive foods and their kids lower brand foods. Name brand vs store bought

JupiterStar

Jupiter Star Power, Make-Up!
Reaction score
Reactions
21,691 991 374
Alleybux
Children are sometimes wasteful and picky eaters. If I’m eating steak or crab legs, they’re getting pizza or chicken tenders (until they can clear a whole plate and acquire more tastes.)

TaryNico

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
33,091 565 112
Alleybux
Yeah, it is. We ate what the adults ate. If they had crab, we had crab. If they had steak, we had steak. There were no "kids" meals and "adult" meals unless we (the kids) wanted it that way , and there were no name brand foods too good for us.

Layen Loh

In my skin. When I jump out, u jump in
Reaction score
Reactions
10,791 161 34
Alleybux
Snacks are separate but equal in my home. They like what they like and I like what I like.

brioche

gilded
Reaction score
Reactions
105,423 3,073 1,515
Alleybux
Give the kids basic foods and bites of the more expensive stuff to see if it is too their tastes. If they want more they can engage.

It was always like that. Kids get pizza or something and they can ask to try food or get portions off their parents plates. Why is everything a big deal.

new2this

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
19,084 933 127
Alleybux
It’s very odd, I never heard of this until I got older. I think this is why I don’t have those concepts of poor and rich food.

Selina Kyle II

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
240,538 3,713 1,083
Alleybux
Y’all are really out here buying your kids great value while y’all eat nabisco??? Dude is a douche and his kids will resent him. My niece stays eating crab legs. I can see getting the kids kids meals but making them eat off brand while you eat name brand is some bµllsh!t. I have a feeling that his tendencies may be why the first relationship didn’t work out. Old girl better pay more attention to how he’s treating those kids. Hers will more than likely get the same treatment.

MoneyOverLove

The Marathon Continues..
Reaction score
Reactions
537,925 10,734 5,860
Alleybux
I’ve always eaten what my parents ate.
If it’s something expensive that you want for you I don’t see anything wrong with momma hiding a pack of cookies or whatever treat for herself. But overall we all eating good.

pickle

All Star
Reaction score
Reactions
110,713 5,948 1,408
Alleybux
As I child, my parents and extended family members always offered and encouraged my brother and I to eat the crab/shrimp/lobster/oxtail etc, and if I had well mannered children in my home it would be my pleasure to do the same.

If I didn't grow up eating lobster, I'd have an aversion to eating it later in life because they look like roach and didn't think of that till I was older. lol

Divakim89

Pretty On Fleek
Reaction score
Reactions
128,769 7,945 8,863
Alleybux
I feel like as long as kids are fed and happy nothing is wrong

I knew not to touch certain foods my mother had for her and I was a very wasteful kid when it came to alot of kids. I was that kid still sitting at the table crying at any meat or veggie

crimson tide

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,454 3,982 1,439
Alleybux
My parents never did that to me and my siblings. We ate whatever they ate unless we didn't like it.

Parents who do that need help. Saving the expensive things for only themselves alone sends the wrong signals to their kids.
It basically creates a class structure of them not being worthy enough for such meals.

It makes the kids feel left out.
Teaches the children to be very selfish.

crimson tide

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,454 3,982 1,439
Alleybux
My parents never did that to me and my siblings. We ate whatever they ate unless we didn't like it.

Parents who do that need help. Saving the expensive things for only themselves alone sends the wrong signals to their kids.
It basically creates a class structure of them not being worthy enough for such meals.

tt00

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
158,183 7,435 1,115
Alleybux
Y’all are really out here buying your kids great value while y’all eat nabisco??? Dude is a douche and his kids will resent him. My niece stays eating crab legs. I can see getting the kids kids meals but making them eat off brand while you eat name brand is some bµllsh!t. I have a feeling that his tendencies may be why the first relationship didn’t work out. Old girl better pay more attention to how he’s treating those kids. Hers will more than likely get the same treatment.

Yeah , I aint never heard of this. It is trifflin for a parent to be doing this too. smh
As a kid I ate what my parents ate .

And they taught me at an early age do not be wasting food and if I am not going to eat it do not put it on my plate or open it.

Tammyblue

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
293,748 8,333 5,511
Alleybux
The only thing off limits in my house as a child was alcohol. I could eat whatever and given the same. I think people should just give kids small portion of the same good food.

DizzyGalWonder

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,695 704 342
Alleybux

The worst part in this story is that he snatches the name brands back from the kids if they get their hands on it and gives them back the low quality food. And she says the children watches them while they eat the better food. The resentment is going to be off the charts with those kids and hers too in the future if she's foolish enough to have them with this dude.

crimson tide

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,454 3,982 1,439
Alleybux
The worst part in this story is that he snatches the name brands back from the kids if they get their hands on it and gives them back the low quality food. And she says the children watches them while they eat the better food. The resentment is going to be off the charts with those kids and hers too in the future if she's foolish enough to have them with this dude.
He is training those kids to Menedez his ass and the stupid wife is just there watching.

BigMayBelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,380 5,000 3,322
Alleybux
It’s very odd, I never heard of this until I got older. I think this is why I don’t have those concepts of poor and rich food.

It’s a poor mentality people who do this grew up deprived in some way and use food as weapon. That’s probably why a lot people have obesity issues, some people get a chance to eat certain foods and it gives them comfort. Granted yes most kids don’t have the same taste buds for crab as a adult, but buying lower quality snakcsn and eating expensive stuff is just weird and also wasteful. By the time a kid is 5 they have clear taste buds and should have concepts of food and a balanced diet. Because most people aren’t trying new recipes different styles and buying different foods of that much.

The resentment is going to be off the charts with those kids and hers too in the future if she's foolish enough to have them with this dude.
Yes. And they are going to be terrible classmates and friends. To others.

KelOverKenan

KelOverKenan did the thing
Reaction score
Reactions
251,434 7,657 2,236
Alleybux
We all ate the same meals, even as literally babies lol. We’d be like two, three, four years old helping our mom make a stir fry or some rice for seven people. What ol dude is doing is straight trash

dg404

Only Here for Beauty Salon Alley
Reaction score
Reactions
3,444 99 44
Alleybux
My father would get dq or sonic special shakes and treats and other foods for my step mom and her kids as an afternoon treat after they got out of elementary school and not get me anything. I would see the items in the trash when I would clean the kitchen.
When he felt like doing it big, he would order a large spread of togo food from the local Chinese spot he would order a bunch of sushi and Peking duck and even ask me what I thought looked good and pI wouldn't be allowed to eat it.

He always did weird selfish stuff like that. He's an obese 400+ lb man with issues.

I understand not everything being for kids, and I understand concerns about wastefulness and personal taste, but there is such a thing as being selfish and teaching your kids they aren't deserving of even enjoying things of quality. Even something as simple as food.

Jax

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
27,898 921 227
Alleybux
What kind of poverty-mindset evil manipulative BS is that??

I have never heard of such nonsense. Growing up, we were forced to try the fancier food when we really just wanted burgers, we'd be tight about it too.

Our parents wanted us to develop our palates and he's purposely limiting his kids. That fiancée of his better run! That kind of behaviour will show up in even more places.

UglyFatGirl

Living Rent-Free in Taylor Swift's Bald Spots
Reaction score
Reactions
136,352 8,721 4,638
Alleybux
It's so weird to me to see folks feed their kids pure cancer-causing sh*t. Most chicken nuggets are processed and contain chicken by-products. If you diversify their palette from Day #1, you won't have to deal with "picky eaters".

Divakim89

Pretty On Fleek
Reaction score
Reactions
128,769 7,945 8,863
Alleybux
I also came from
It’s a poor mentality people who do this grew up deprived in some way and use food as weapon. That’s probably why a lot people have obesity issues, some people get a chance to eat certain foods and it gives them comfort. Granted yes most kids don’t have the same taste buds for crab as a adult, but buying lower quality snakcsn and eating expensive stuff is just weird and also wasteful. By the time a kid is 5 they have clear taste buds and should have concepts of food and a balanced diet. Because most people aren’t trying new recipes different styles and buying different foods of that much.

Yes. And they are going to be terrible classmates and friends. To others.
Some people have large families. I came from a family of 6...my mom knew certain foods we wouldn't eat and fed us kid friendly foods we came out fine. I'm college educated, well traveled and eat anything I want. A kids behavior has nothing to do with if a food is name brand or not

Harriet_Thugman

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
86,537 1,743 286
Alleybux
Thought on this?

My take: I grew up like this where the adults could only eat the crabs and seafood and kids could eat other things. My mom would buy bulk snacks for us at Sam's club and always keep her expensive treats for herself. Is this odd?

Here's the original article...basically wife is complaining about her husband buying them expensive foods and their kids lower brand foods. Name brand vs store bought

That is so weird to me, not a personal attack against you. I didn't eat seafood like crabs and lobster growing up because my parents are freaked out by it and basically it not approved to be eaten in our culture. But they fed us steaks when they can afford it. When I have children, they will have access to seafood and fine cuts of meat that budget allows. Maybe I will luck out and they may hate seafood. Even if I don't I usually tap out after two pounds and I know how to bargain shop.

Metaphysique

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
41,065 696 303
Alleybux
For us, it has nothing to do with name brand vs. store brand. I’m pretty strict when it comes to the food we buy, and I read the labels on everything. So, no, we don’t buy our kids subpar food. We spend a lot on groceries and food and 90% of it is for everyone. I have some dietary specific foods that I buy specifically for myself. We have five kids. They’re not eating my $7-9/loaf keto bread or some of my dark chocolate and other keto foods. Since they’re not keto, it doesn’t make sense to eat through all that food, since it isn’t cheap. Our kids eat 80/20 paleo diet and can easily spend $1500/mo on groceries. Whether it’s salmon, shrimp, tacos, etc., they’re free to eat whatever we fix.

We encourage them to eat a variety of different foods, but we give them the option. When we do eat out, our teenagers usually just opt to eat whatever we’re eating, unless they want something else, whereas our younger kids usually want pizza or their go-to options. Our six-year-old is the pickiest. So when we do get, say, sushi, everyone else eats it, but she usually wants something else.

Prrrrrrrrrr

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,570 777 1,132
Alleybux

I would eat Great Value any day over name brands. The generic usually is way better than the name brand and it’s usually made in the USA. Lot of name brands are now made in Mexico, no thanks.

Anyway, I will say that I was raised as a little adult and ate any and everything, pretty much. There are only a few things I wouldn’t eat, even as a kid. Pickiness was not allowed, but I just wasn’t a picky kid anyway. My kids are. They are always given the option to eat what we eat, they may not like it. I don’t make special meals for them but if they hate something they can have eggs and rice, the go to food around here. Strangely some of them like weird stuff you wouldn’t think kids would like. As long as they try it, that’s all I ask.

They all love lobster tail, shrimp and any fish, so we always get enough for everyone.

Selina Kyle II

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
240,538 3,713 1,083
Alleybux
I would eat Great Value any day over name brands. The generic usually is way better than the name brand and it’s usually made in the USA. Lot of name brands are now made in Mexico, no thanks.

Anyway, I will say that I was raised as a little adult and ate any and everything, pretty much. There are only a few things I wouldn’t eat, even as a kid. Pickiness was not allowed, but I just wasn’t a picky kid anyway. My kids are. They are always given the option to eat what we eat, they may not like it. I don’t make special meals for them but if they hate something they can have eggs and rice, the go to food around here. Strangely some of them like weird stuff you wouldn’t think kids would like. As long as they try it, that’s all I ask.

They all love lobster tail, shrimp and any fish, so we always get enough for everyone.

There’s certain things that I like more from great value too. That’s not the point of this though. They’re not buying it because it tastes better. They’re buying it because they see it as less than and think that their kids should have less than them. People don’t realize that things like this does have a negative effect on their children’s mental. Think about how many adults have to have the finest of things to prove to others that they’re not broke and things like that. I bet you a lot of them lived in situations like this.

My sister is like that. My mom really couldn’t afford name brand and didn’t really see the difference (she didn’t differentiate between what she got and what we got). She was like that with clothes too. My sister however felt like she was always less than her friends and things. Now as a grown ass woman my sister spends most of her time trying to prove sh!t to people. sh!t is sad to see because she really didn’t lack anything growing up. They just wasn’t top brand.

Honee77

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
137,402 5,133 1,520
Alleybux
I was an only child until my teen years...so I ate what my mom ate...when my step-father came along he would make fuss about it but I was so tiny and a picky eater that my mom never folded on that...

I do have family and friends that run their homes that way...I can see the argument for it when kids are toddlers or elementary school age...but tweens and teens start noticing differences and taking those things to heart...An associate does it with her teens, like she will eat out and tell her kids to heat those cheap frozen pizzas(like could you at least bump them to Digorno)...I side-eye that and her kids have become vocal about how they notice it...

cubbers

Bench Warmer
Reaction score
Reactions
14 6
Alleybux
Kinda reminds me of that kitchen scene from Friday. His dad keeping all the grapes to himself and complaining that Craig eats up all the “good” food. Craig’s mom made a full course breakfast for herself but told him to eat cereal with water.

BigMayBelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,380 5,000 3,322
Alleybux
You didn’t think critically. And that’s fine. The response wasn’t talking about name brands in it self.

I also came from
Some people have large families. I came from a family of 6...my mom knew certain foods we wouldn't eat and fed us kid friendly foods we came out fine. I'm college educated, well traveled and eat anything I want. A kids behavior has nothing to do with if a food is name brand or not

Iced tea

Every thumbs down I get gives me an orgasm
Reaction score
Reactions
34,832 1,074 697
Alleybux
So the kids are eating foods that high in cholesterol, fat, and salt while mom and dad is eating fresh food? Hes trying to give them health issues.

GigiLaMoore

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
149,259 1,874 1,040
Alleybux
My mom said that if she was eating lobster, her kids were eating lobster. She wasn't feeding my dad, the pastor, neighbors, etc., better than she was feeding her own kids. That's how we all roll in our families now.

Divakim89

Pretty On Fleek
Reaction score
Reactions
128,769 7,945 8,863
Alleybux
Kinda reminds me of that kitchen scene from Friday. His dad keeping all the grapes to himself and complaining that Craig eats up all the “good” food. Craig’s mom made a full course breakfast for herself but told him to eat cereal with water.
Cause kids will eat up all the food with no filter

Reaction score
Reactions
4,288 56 17
Alleybux
I can understand buying kid appropriate snacks and what not, but it sounds like this dad is buying the 2 different brands exact same snacks/food items and giving his kids the poorer quality version. That makes no sense, just get the same thing for everyone.

How in the world do you expect kids to grow up with refined palates when all they eat are chicken nuggets and pizza? That’s how you have grown adults who are extremely picky and have issues with textures etc.

My kids eat everything I eat, the only thing I might do is make my kids food with a little less spice.