Quantcast

My Job is Literally Killing Me

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,688,484 494,794 222,814
Alleybux
I just need some insight/advice/support. I’ve been at my company for 3 years as a contract worker and have worked in various roles and departments. I started my current role last January and it has been nothing but hell ever since. I don’t want to go into too much detail, but the non-efficient database, the continuous process changes, boss coming down on me for tasks that predate me, and as if I have nothing to do all day, condescending coworkers, like... I’m effing over it.

I have BPD, clinical depression, and social anxiety and I strugggglleeee every day to keep pushing. I can’t do it anymore. I want to resign effective immediately because I’m now feeling the physical symptoms of my stress and, quite frankly, they don’t deserve me. I’ve taken so many days off work already because I can’t cope. I don’t have a lot of savings. I’m at my wits end.

Rlyn83

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
660 17 3
Alleybux
I just need some insight/advice/support. I’ve been at my company for 3 years as a contract worker and have worked in various roles and departments. I started my current role last January and it has been nothing but hell ever since. I don’t want to go into too much detail, but the non-efficient database, the continuous process changes, boss coming down on me for tasks that predate me, and as if I have nothing to do all day, condescending coworkers, like... I’m effing over it.

I have BPD, clinical depression, and social anxiety and I strugggglleeee every day to keep pushing. I can’t do it anymore. I want to resign effective immediately because I’m now feeling the physical symptoms of my stress and, quite frankly, they don’t deserve me. I’ve taken so many days off work already because I can’t cope. I don’t have a lot of savings. I’m at my wits end.
I've done that before. If you're truly at your capacity, quit. Taking a job at Starbucks in order to maintain your mental health while you interview for a different position will be better in the long run. If things are this awful, the job isn't going to go anywhere long-term anyway.

Mugla

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,325 436 216
Alleybux
I cant relate to having the health issues but can do with being completing checked out for the reasons stated. Do you think you can put money aside for three months or so, just to cover yourself/buffer money? However, if its really draining you, work your notice and go. Its not worth your health, but try have some kinda backup, even a basic part time work to keep you occupied.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I've done that before. If you're truly at your capacity, quit. Taking a job at Starbucks in order to maintain your mental health while you interview for a different position will be better in the long run. If things are this awful, the job isn't going to go anywhere long-term anyway.

thank you

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I cant relate to having the health issues but can do with being completing checked out for the reasons stated. Do you think you can put money aside for three months or so, just to cover yourself/buffer money? However, if its really draining you, work your notice and go. Its not worth your health, but try have some kinda backup, even a basic part time work to keep you occupied.
I can definitely do a part time. Anything is better than where I’m at now, to be honest.

FabulouslyBrown

“I can’t forget my history, it's her-story.”
Reaction score
Reactions
25,412 481 50
Alleybux

I’m so sorry you are going through this. I would say you’d have a good chance of getting unemployment if you quit. “Medical reasons” (BPD and Clinical Depression) exacerbated by your current work environment:
E89FEB40-1962-4D45-BA38-EE55CA5D7D32.jpeg
B88B09BF-F1C4-4030-9353-71C014F6FEE1.jpeg

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,554 15,255 8,202
Alleybux
Would your job allow you to take time off?
But know that no job is worth putting yourself at risk, health is wealth. Sending you my best wishes OP.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I’m so sorry you are going through this. I would say you’d have a good chance of getting unemployment if you quit. “Medical reasons” (BPD and Clinical Depression) exacerbated by your current work environment:
View attachment 2473815 View attachment 2473814

Is FMLA a possibility. Take time off to recover and search for a new job?
Thanks, I live in Canada, though. I will do some research on receiving unemployment insurance after quitting. I feel like it would be tough for me, even in my situation. Regarding the leave of absence, don’t know if it would be worth it as my contract ends in 2 months. Yes, it’s that bad that I can’t stay for that much longer

Anohana

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
142,620 2,468 784
Alleybux
Feeling for you OP. No one should be subjected to such toxicity just to work. Funny that one of the trending threads was work related and this shows up. Is your office requiring you to report to work? Maybe try seeing if you can WFH temporarily to give you time. Other fonts have great suggestions as well.

Mugla

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,325 436 216
Alleybux
Regarding the leave of absence, don’t know if it would be worth it as my contract ends in 2 months.
Same here, though they will more than likely renew it. Im on the verge ive saying I dont want to, but also dont wanna use all my new savings.
Hugs to you x maybe try and stick for the two months and save money. At least you know it will more than likely end then. Its like you can see the finish line...the time will fly!

Noladebby

⚜️ Made in New Orleans ⚜️
Reaction score
Reactions
76,868 2,253 1,262
Alleybux
No job is worth this. Plan your exit strategy. That's where your focus should be. Good luck!

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Feeling for you OP. No one should be subjected to such toxicity just to work. Funny that one of the trending threads was work related and this shows up. Is your office requiring you to report to work? Maybe try seeing if you can WFH temporarily to give you time. Other fonts have great suggestions as well.
It’s funny because I do work from home. Nothing in my department is linear. Constant changes, boss has no idea who does what yet loves to designate tasks to me that have nothing to do with me, and then I also work with doctors and lawyers who have a god complex and don’t know how to talk to people. I've had it.

SuccessfullyMe

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
238,517 6,659 3,637
Alleybux
FMLA and/or see what the unemployment laws are in your state. Nobody deserves to be stressed out especially not with existing mental health problems. Hopefully you are able to take time for yourself and find a better job.

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
It’s funny because I do work from home. Nothing in my department is linear. Constant changes, boss has no idea who does what yet loves to designate tasks to me that have nothing to do with me, and then I also work with doctors and lawyers who have a god complex and don’t know how to talk to people. I've had it.
* delegate

Anohana

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
142,620 2,468 784
Alleybux
The sheer incompetence of it all wow. I would start looking for something ASAP. Even do some temporary gig app work in between positions if you’re worried about running out of money. Since you mentioned that you’re Canadian, are you still receiving stimulus checks?

So Beautiful

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,506 341 137
Alleybux
Take care of you OP. Many people have quit their jobs for this reason and others. A lot of great advice has been provided. If you need to quit in order to get some peace to figure out your next move. Do just that, and get a part time gig.

Predated issues point to management as the problem. Sounds like company management and possibly the owner needs to be fired. Check to see the laws for contract workers and employer relationships where you are. If you were in the U.S., the company you work for may be moving/abusing the line on contractor and full time employee. Different rules, and different cost for the company.

MERVEILLEUSE

Encyclopedia Dramatica
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
713,577 11,262 4,454
Alleybux
You’re going to have to fortify the wall around yourself and your sh!tty job. All you are there to do is get paid and do your specific function, everything else can go to hell.

Focus your energy on an exit strategy. Know that you won’t be putting up with this anymore, and you will be leaving. Pick a goal date or milestone... do you need to have a job in place before you quit? Do you need to save money? whatever It is, make that thing your motivation and work towards it.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
OP, I'd say start looking for a job immediately. It doesn't have to be in your field. I don't know your circumstances but I'd look for something around the same pay grade. Nothing too much lower because you have to pay your bills. Then I'd quit. That's what I was always told make sure you secure a job, before you quit. I'd do it fast before you have a real breakdown. But don't quit before you have an alternate income lined up.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
I debated going to work today. Yesterday was my day off. ..............they clean the building during those times. Now I am going back. Like you I just feel so drained. I feel a time where I am going to break. I've got to start actively searching for other careers.

Mugla

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,325 436 216
Alleybux
I debated going to work today. Yesterday was my day off. ..............they clean the building during those times. Now I am going back. Like you I just feel so drained. I feel a time where I am going to break. I've got to start actively searching for other careers.
I really struggled today too. Looking on Indeed as we speak.

ChihulyGlass

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
26,600 1,464 715
Alleybux
I really struggled today too. Looking on Indeed as we speak.
I pray you find the job you need in Jesus name Amen. I stayed home today too. I feel better. Just remember one thing, your life is bigger and more valuable than a job. You need a job to pay your way, but it is not your life.

Reaction score
Reactions
1,192 30 24
Alleybux

I feel the same way at my current job

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Top Bottom