Quantcast

My kitchen/nape hair is different from my crown.

Angelayalet

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,809 487 201
Alleybux
The hair in the back of my head is very soft/silky and doesn't tangle much but the rest of my hair is like coarse/dry and tangles alot. Does any have this problem? Is there anyway for all my hair to be like my kitchen?

FashionJunkiee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
26,283 695 584
Alleybux
A lot of people have looser hair at the nape. My nape is 3a and the rest of my hair is 3b/3c. My curl pattern back there is so loose, I literally have to trim the back of my hair more often then the rest of my head to keep it even when it's curly; since the nape curls hang lower/looser.

Unless you texturize the rest of your hair, the answer is no.

Last edited:

Grand Puma

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
92,766 3,838 2,686
Alleybux
I don't have loose hair in the back. My dad has soft, silky, curly and my hair is 4a at the crown and a patch in the middle of my hairline at the forehead. My mom has 4c hair and mine is more like hers in the along my edges and the back of head. My cousin said when I was a baby she called me Patches because my hair was straight and curly in different spots.

RunawayNymphet

YourFaveIsAFraud
Reaction score
Reactions
15,314 334 123
Alleybux
I had a weird ass combination of textures when I was learning how to do my hair, my edges were 3c, bulk of it was 4a and the crown was 4b. Then I started doing it in sections and masks regularly, it evened out to being mostly 4a. I think how I styled it and how moisturized it was made a difference.

froggyluv2

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
114,510 5,608 5,179
Alleybux
Hmmm....that's interesting. Usually it's the other way around with the coarser textures being at the nape. In fact, back in the day the reason that it was referred to as "the kitchen" was because much like a kitchen, it was where a lot of heat would build up such that when a person began to sweat, it would be the first place that the kinks would show up.

In fact, the kitchen of one's head has traditionally been steeped in issues of featurism/colorism. Many older black folks (much, much older) used to have stories of finding out if a person had "good hair" or not by checking the nape of the hair. All truths would be told by a person's "kitchen". As the old folks would say---- the person could have the best conk or hot comb this side of the river Jordan... but the kitchen wouldn't tell a lie.

Chenr41

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,500 365 264
Alleybux
Hmmm....that's interesting. Usually it's the other way around with the coarser textures being at the nape. In fact, back in the day the reason that it was referred to as "the kitchen" was because much like a kitchen, it was where a lot of heat would build up such that when a person began to sweat, it would be the first place that the kinks would show up.

In fact, the kitchen of one's head has traditionally been steeped in issues of featurism/colorism. Many older black folks (much, much older) used to have stories of finding out if a person had "good hair" or not by checking the nape of the hair. All truths would be told by a person's "kitchen". As the old folks would say---- the person could have the best conk or hot comb this side of the river Jordan... but the kitchen wouldn't tell a lie.
wow...I never knew that.... someone told me its called the kitchen because of the brillo pad that people use to scrub pots in their kitchen.... or something like that lol..I dont know.. I dont use those terms anyway.

Chenr41

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,500 365 264
Alleybux
My nape isn't the loosest area of my head but the texture is silky soft like my edges. Everything else is just 3c-4b mix

Reaction score
Reactions
8,441 213 32
Alleybux
Mine is looser too. When I was transitioning then did a big chop, I ended up cutting it again months later thinking I hadn't cut all the relaxer out. Then months later I was like why is my hair so straight still? I haven't used heat or anything. Then I really examined and looked back there with a mirror and saw it was the same at the roots!

Solitary

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,221 199 66
Alleybux
The crown of my head is the loosest (3c) and my kitchen is this kinkiest (4a-b)

Catalyst

Queen of Icy- Duchess of Drip
Reaction score
Reactions
133,226 1,551 710
Alleybux

Exactly. And my kitchen is still out of control to this day LOL.

My hair's the exact opposite OP; tangly, drier, coarser kitchen/edges and a softer, less tangly crown.

MERVEILLEUSE

Encyclopedia Dramatica
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
713,866 11,268 4,454
Alleybux
That's how my hair is too. My tightest coils are at the crown and middle front, the sides are looser and all the way at the back my curls are "lazy". It all blends together though. Most people with curly/coily/kinky hair have multiple curl patterns throughout their head.

MarysJoint

Keepin It Classy
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
75,160 1,512 2,942
Alleybux
Mine is looser too. When I was transitioning then did a big chop, I ended up cutting it again months later thinking I hadn't cut all the relaxer out. Then months later I was like why is my hair so straight still? I haven't used heat or anything. Then I really examined and looked back there with a mirror and saw it was the same at the roots!
same here. i have about a 3x2 inch patch at my middle nape that's 3b/c. i thought the silky loose curls were heat damage until cutting and looking at it with a mirror to realize it was that texture all the way up to the roots. after 5 years of being natural, i'm still learning new things about my hair.

BabbleQuinn

Deng Lun's Boo
Reaction score
Reactions
8,475 141 180
Alleybux
True. For some weird reason, my hair is a soft 4a at the nape and 4c everywhere else. The texture difference is really jarring especially when I attempted a wash and go. The toughest and tangliest strands are at m crown. I thought that the nape would be the softest and most lubricated section of the head because of the oils that gravity naturally pulls down there.

Omniscience

Gossamer Corda
Reaction score
Reactions
36,078 322 130
Alleybux
My nape has always been the most loose of all my curls/waves, distinctly different from the rest of my hair. I have multiple textures and curl patterns throughout my head.

Last edited:

BabyDee

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
4,108 94 40
Alleybux
The front of my hair is loose...my crown is super kinky. The back is somewhere in between with the nape a tad looser.

FaunDoo

Mystic & Syndicalist
Reaction score
Reactions
37,306 685 466
Alleybux
Okay.. I must have a heck of a weird nape then.
The sides of my nape are real coarse, but the middlemost portion is loose and nearly straight, compared to 4c hair along the left side of my head and 4b hair everywhere else...

BadderNBoujee

Controversial *** font
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
219,060 34,782 17,776
Alleybux
My nape is 3c texture and extremely loosely curled.

It does not hold twists at all. The front/sides of my hair is 4a and my crown is 4b/4c textured.

I hate the nape of my hair because I love doing twists and whenever I twist it, it comes loose very quickly.

cocoabutter1

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,368 294 203
Alleybux
OP, my nape is looser too. But not only loose, but 'silky' ish.

My crown is the loosest curl pattern, tho. Its straight. Maybe a couple waves thrown in there, but basically straight. I've NEVER understood it. Also least moisturized on avg, but even when moisturized, still straight.

Edges have kinkier curl patterns, but the rest is the same, 4a. Frizzy still, but the same.

Love that fonts answer on the history of 'the kitchen'! Even tho nape is loosest pattern for a lotta people, I agree w/the alternate version/def of kitchen, courtesy of my mama. And friends, w/beadie beads or however ya spelled it :LOL:

ETA: sorry, freaking autocorrect.

Last edited: