Quantcast

Naomi Osaka Boycotting Her WTA Tennis Semifinals Match Tomorrow

Dancelover51

Immunity
Reaction score
Reactions
33,060 850 276
Alleybux
I am not Naomi's sister either but I still know that while she plays for the country of her birth (which did a great deal to support and nurture her talent), it does not change her personal identify. She has a father too.

Naomi doesn't need a dime of Japan's money anymore. Why doesn't she just switch to playing for Haiti? It would provide a boost to the country. I have been following Tennis for decades and may athletes have switched the country they represent several times over. Athletes like Mary Pierce, Dustin Brown, Johana Konta, and many more have done it. In Tennis, it is not a difficult process at all.

Chriza28

Time-out again
Benched
Time Out
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
108,406 7,514 8,020
Alleybux
Naomi doesn't need a dime of Japan's money anymore. Why doesn't she just switch to playing for Haiti? It would provide a boost to the country. I have been following Tennis for decades and may athletes have switched the country they represent several times over. Athletes like Mary Pierce, Dustin Brown, Johana Konta, and many more have done it. In Tennis, it is not a difficult process at all.
Of course you're right BUT everyone is different.

Some people prefer to stay loyal to those who were there for them before they became "somebody". For that, I admire her.

But if she ever decides to change her mind, I won't be judging. It's her life and decision and from what I see so far, she has integrity and her decisions will be based on that.

Dancelover51

Immunity
Reaction score
Reactions
33,060 850 276
Alleybux
Of course you're right BUT everyone is different.

Some people prefer to stay loyal to those who were there for them before they became "somebody". For that, I admire her.

But if she ever decides to change her mind, I won't be judging. It's her life and decision and from what I see so far, she has integrity and her decisions will be based on that.

Haiti wasn't any less loyal to her, they just did not have the resources to sponsor and support an athlete. I can understand why she might harbor ill-will to the U.S. and why she gave up her U.S. citizenship, even though she lives here. She didn't get the sponsorship from the U.S. so she is probably still bitter.

She and her family left Japan because of the racism. So I am confused on what loyalty she owes them or maybe just maybe she sees herself as Japanese and that is where her identity lies.

Chriza28

Time-out again
Benched
Time Out
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
108,406 7,514 8,020
Alleybux
Haiti wasn't any less loyal to her, they just did not have the resources to sponsor and support an athlete. I can understand why she might harbor ill-will to the U.S. and why she gave up her U.S. citizenship, even though she lives here. She didn't get the sponsorship from the U.S. so she is probably still bitter.
She and her family left Japan because of the racism. So I am confused on what loyalty she owes them or maybe just maybe she sees herself as Japanese and that is where her identity lies.
What are you confused about?

Who are you to decide what her identity is when SHE said “Before I am a athlete, I am a Black woman.

You don't tell someone who they are. They tell you who they are.

Dancelover51

Immunity
Reaction score
Reactions
33,060 850 276
Alleybux
What are you confused about?

Who are you to decide what her identity is when SHE said “Before I am a athlete, I am a Black woman.

You don't tell someone who they are. They tell you who they are.

She is Japanese and Black. I am Black. I have two Black parents. I don't get to chose my identity. She is mixed-race. Black people get to gate-keep their identity just like everyone else. Because I don't consider her Black does not mean she is less of a human being.

Chriza28

Time-out again
Benched
Time Out
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
108,406 7,514 8,020
Alleybux
She is Japanese and Black. I am Black. I have two Black parents. I don't get to chose my identity. She is mixed-race. Black people get to gate-keep their identity just like everyone else. Because I don't consider her Black does not mean she is less of a human being.
You don't own another person's race, especially not a biracial's.

It is not your entitlement to decide another person's race. Mind your own business.