Quantcast

Natural Hair VENT Thread

RaRaRaHu

The petty princess
Reaction score
Reactions
52,897 1,519 1,308
Alleybux
It sucks when you want to try a new stylez but you know that you're just gunna take it out and go back to the same old same old. Now's not really the time for experimentation anyway. It is cold AF!

HakeemsHeaux

Sole Sidepiece of THEE Hon. Rep. Hakeem S Jeffries
Reaction score
Reactions
57,326 2,833 100
Alleybux
Not directing this at anyone in particular, just a trend I've noticed:

I am sick and tired of the damn near weekly threads complaining about the price of salon visits and hair services. Yes, in 1997 your cousin's brother's stepmother niece only charged you $5, a stick of gum and a button for ass-length braids and a buss down. But we are now in 2024 and prices are different.

Then all the "these stylists are lazy and untalented, these prices are y'all's fault for paying them, anyone can do this, doing hair isn't even a skill," blah blah blah. Okay so then why are you making an appointment? Why not go to YouTube and do it yourself since it requires no skill and anyone can do it? It makes my teeth itch! And I am not even a salon person.

RaRaRaHu

The petty princess
Reaction score
Reactions
52,897 1,519 1,308
Alleybux
Not directing this at anyone in particular, just a trend I've noticed:

I am sick and tired of the damn near weekly threads complaining about the price of salon visits and hair services. Yes, in 1997 your cousin's brother's stepmother niece only charged you $5, a stick of gum and a button for ass-length braids and a buss down. But we are now in 2024 and prices are different.

Then all the "these stylists are lazy and untalented, these prices are y'all's fault for paying them, anyone can do this, doing hair isn't even a skill," blah blah blah. Okay so then why are you making an appointment? Why not go to YouTube and do it yourself since it requires no skill and anyone can do it? It makes my teeth itch! And I am not even a salon person.
THIS!!!! So tired of those threads. Fonts here just basically just wanna rob those poor stylists of their time and energy. If it's so easy, why aren't you doing it yourself? We still got people on here who believe that it's the stylist job to take care of Ure hair so go figure

HakeemsHeaux

Reaction score
Reactions
57,326 2,833 100
Alleybux
THIS!!!! So tired of those threads. Fonts here just basically just wanna rob those poor stylists of their time and energy. If it's so easy, why aren't you doing it yourself? We still got people on here who believe that it's the stylist job to take care of Ure hair so go figure
The countless questions about silk presses and braids show that that is a lie :arrogant I also cannot stand the ignorance around color. People think it should be $100 and 2 hours to bleach level 1 hair to platinum and have no clue what GOOD color requires in knowledge, time, or maintenance. Go grab some developer and dye and tell me how "simple" it is :emoji_upside_down:
It drives.me.bananas.

CinnamonSugar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,229 44 4
Alleybux
So i tried flat twisting my whole head for the first time, i think i understand the technique now. but whew it didnt come out pretty. the sides of my head are ok, just the parting is a little off. but they're nicely close to my scalp and decent sized. the issue is the top of my head when i had to hold my arms above my head. My arms kinda forgot what they were supposed to do so its not tight at all the further i got up my head even though it really felt like i was sticking close to my scalp in the process?? And because the parting was off for the sides of my head, I couldnt get decent parts at all for the top of my head, so they're bulky and end way too early lmaoo. but yeah because they arent tight at all. i look like i have a peanut head. thank god it's winter so i can just throw a hat on and call it a day. I'll keep watching videos until i get it
1705995451683.png

GodsBaby

John 7:38❤ Forever drowning in His love❤️
Reaction score
Reactions
15,894 1,276 449
Alleybux
Ugh my scalp is starting to itch again. I'm actually due to wash again tomorrow, but I'm gonna use dry shampoo and see if I can stretch this silk press to next weekend. If not, will just have to wash again. The blowout and silk press process took 2 days, I just want my time's worth man :weary_face:

RaRaRaHu

The petty princess
Reaction score
Reactions
52,897 1,519 1,308
Alleybux
It's SO ANNOYING when your hair gets past a certain plateau and then for some reason, it just goes back there! UGGGGH. Retaining length is such a challenge for fine hair

Jubilee

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
7,836 394 12
Alleybux
These past few weeks, I've been skipping my regular cheap, thick conditioner for my pre-wash detangling and have just been using my fingers on oiled, lightly misted hair instead. I thought I had been doing so well until I came across multiple knotted areas close to my roots today. My roots, not even the ends. I'd like to think that I'm a sensible, reasonably intelligent woman so please tell me why I ever thought this method was going to a good idea when I know I have mostly fine, very coily, tangle prone strands. I also know that combs and brushes are my best friend. I thought I could avoid using them before shampooing because I wear my hair in stretched styles but boy, was I wrong!

200w.gif

HakeemsHeaux

Reaction score
Reactions
57,326 2,833 100
Alleybux
These past few weeks, I've been skipping my regular cheap, thick conditioner for my pre-wash detangling and have just been using my fingers on oiled, lightly misted hair instead. I thought I had been doing so well until I came across multiple knotted areas close to my roots today. My roots, not even the ends. I'd like to think that I'm a sensible, reasonably intelligent woman so please tell me why I ever thought this method was going to a good idea when I know I have mostly fine, very coily, tangle prone strands. I also know that combs and brushes are my best friend. I thought I could avoid using them before shampooing because I wear my hair in stretched styles but boy, was I wrong!

200w.gif
I too have made this same mistake. Multiple times. Always convinced I can make finger detangling work for me "this time." And every time, my hair grabs me by the back of the neck and smacks me back to reality.

HakeemsHeaux

Reaction score
Reactions
57,326 2,833 100
Alleybux
Sometimes I wish I had one single type of strand thickness across my whole head. Having a mix of ultra fine strands that want to break if you breathe wrong, medium strands that mind their business, and coarse strands that soak up all the product I can afford (and then some) is tew much :emoji_sob:

honeybunched

♡ (⇀ 3 ↼) kissu!!
Reaction score
Reactions
788 48 72
Alleybux
Hair things that annoy me:

1. wig and weave warriors who cant STFU about hating their natural hair and how "childish" it is
2. natural hair care product prices, especially shampoos conditioners and hair oils
3. the hate train against butters, grease and oil being used on our hair/scalp
4. the backlash against girlies who want/have long natural hair
5. hair type chart because one minute i think i'm 3c/4a next minute i think im 3b/3c
6. POROSITY CONFUSION!!! am i high?? am i low?? my hair takes a bit to get saturated but it dries the second i'm out the shower??? WTH

GodsBaby

Reaction score
Reactions
15,894 1,276 449
Alleybux
I feel like such an idiot. I haven't been wrapping my straightened hair properly at night like I should. I don't feel like curling with a satin scarf every night. I tried using a silk scrunchie/clip, but they slide out my fine hair unless I make my bun tight, which hurts my scalp. So I've just been sleeping with it loose in a satin bonnet. I didn't think there would be knots since it's straightened anyway. Yesterday I finally tried to brush my hair and omfg there were knots so bad I had to cut them out. I finger detangled them as much as possible before snipping though. My roots were badly tangled too. I had to use the Denman D38 detangle it. Idk why I thought straight hair doesn't tangle. I feel kind of dumb tbh.

GodsBaby

Reaction score
Reactions
15,894 1,276 449
Alleybux
Had to wash and revert my silk press early because of severe dandruff and flaking :mad: honestly bummed out right now. Mainly because I had do this abruptly, but this basically means if I do heat style my hair, I can only wear it for a week and then it needs to be washed all over again. I wasn't planning on using heat frequently anyway (aside from deep conditioning and drying wash n gos), but I was at least hoping it could last for 2 weeks. But omfg my scalp had become so itchy and gross, I didn't even realize it was that bad. I shampooed like 4 times, hopefully the itching is subdued enough until this weekend. I wish I had a normal scalp :cry:

Also, some of the flakes got on my forehead and face. I hope my skin doesn't have a weird reaction to that, but I scrubbed my face with a sponge and cleanser in the shower so :emoji_shrug:. I'm not used to skin issues like this. Fix it Jesus smh.

Sunshine_Vento

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
36,866 1,858 157
Alleybux
Had to wash and revert my silk press early because of severe dandruff and flaking :mad: honestly bummed out right now. Mainly because I had do this abruptly, but this basically means if I do heat style my hair, I can only wear it for a week and then it needs to be washed all over again. I wasn't planning on using heat frequently anyway (aside from deep conditioning and drying wash n gos), but I was at least hoping it could last for 2 weeks. But omfg my scalp had become so itchy and gross, I didn't even realize it was that bad. I shampooed like 4 times, hopefully the itching is subdued enough until this weekend. I wish I had a normal scalp :cry:

Also, some of the flakes got on my forehead and face. I hope my skin doesn't have a weird reaction to that, but I scrubbed my face with a sponge and cleanser in the shower so :emoji_shrug:. I'm not used to skin issues like this. Fix it Jesus smh.
If it helps, I've been straightening my hair weekly since September and I have no heat damage. I use Color Wow Dream Coat (the black label) as my pre-blow dry heat protectant and Chi Serum before I flat iron.

I do an Olaplex 3 treatment every week followed by K18 post shampoo (I wet my hair again and use conditioner after having the K18 in my hair for 4 minutes).

HakeemsHeaux

Reaction score
Reactions
57,326 2,833 100
Alleybux
If you have seb derm it's safe to use medicated shampoo on other areas that may be affected by the same yeast. I work my shampoo down onto my forehead and even my eyebrows to let it sit for a bit then rinse.

CinnamonSugar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,229 44 4
Alleybux
I wasnt able to wash my hair over the weekend like i planned to, but tell me why i ran into some older man (maybe in his 40s) ho begged that i take my hat off when i was running through whole foods for my mom's grocery shopping. i had to tell him i wouldnt do it 3x for him to back off. he wasnt mean about it, but so pushy and it made me uncomfortable

TNT2LBC

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
781 7
Alleybux
I wasnt able to wash my hair over the weekend like i planned to, but tell me why i ran into some older man (maybe in his 40s) ho begged that i take my hat off when i was running through whole foods for my mom's grocery shopping. i had to tell him i wouldnt do it 3x for him to back off. he wasnt mean about it, but so pushy and it made me uncomfortable
For some strange reason the word “no” isn’t as aversive to men as asking for some money. Tell him the hat removal fee is $100 dollars. Then you either get paid or he walks away. It’s a win-win!

CinnamonSugar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,229 44 4
Alleybux
flat twisting again, i still cant get the parts right. idk what happens but the time i get to the back of my head it seems as if there's no space left for the next flat twist to end properly

Last edited:

CinnamonSugar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,229 44 4
Alleybux
Does the pain in my arms from flat twisting ever get better lmao? I would like to reach a point where I can do this in under an hour or two so it's not like, I gotta take a 15 mins break between each twist. but it's getting better. 2 weeks ago it took me literally all night because I was half asleep and didn't understand how I should part my hair at all. So, I think I'm beginning to understand the parting now. I feel some of my issue is how a lot of my density is concentrated in the center of my head, while the perimeter is just, yknow, not like thin, but nothing like the center. I need to get my health together. because I think it's a consequence of low iron and low vitD. the twists are also mad fuzzy, but i think that's because i just used cream and i probably have a lot of breakage from avoiding a trim

CinnamonSugar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,229 44 4
Alleybux
so it's been a while since i finished my flat twists, they actually came out well to say it's only my 2nd try. my parts arent as bad as i thought they were, but they look worse than they are because the way i held my arms while twisting ruined the direction of the twists. Basically, my arms got tired, so i was trying to hold them as low as possible. so it made my twists sorta hang low too. Idk what to do about that beyond more conscious practice and maybe pumping iron or daily push ups:cry

HakeemsHeaux

Reaction score
Reactions
57,326 2,833 100
Alleybux
so it's been a while since i finished my flat twists, they actually came out well to say it's only my 2nd try. my parts arent as bad as i thought they were, but they look worse than they are because the way i held my arms while twisting ruined the direction of the twists. Basically, my arms got tired, so i was trying to hold them as low as possible. so it made my twists sorta hang low too. Idk what to do about that beyond more conscious practice and maybe pumping iron or daily push ups:cry
Maybe some isometric holds?

RaRaRaHu

The petty princess
Reaction score
Reactions
52,897 1,519 1,308
Alleybux
I was just thinking yesterday about styled to do on my hair and how I envy people who can do hair but I realized that maybe it's a good thing that I can't do those complicated styles because my scalp would constantly be on fire. I can't do flat twists, they hurt my scalp too damn much and they take too dang long and they're so....just bad. My hair doesn't even really like a lot of manipulation anyway so it's very funny I was feeling bad about this.
I know for a fact if I was a hairstyling wiz, my hair would not be growing.

HakeemsHeaux

Reaction score
Reactions
57,326 2,833 100
Alleybux
The ability of my hair to hold onto water with none in the air needs to be studied.

DRY, goddammit!!!

GodsBaby

Reaction score
Reactions
15,894 1,276 449
Alleybux
I really hate having more than one hair texture. The middle and front of my hair is loose and damn near straight while the back is tighter and more coily. The back curls up nicely but the middle and front have pieces that curl, pieces that are wavy, and pieces that puff up. Honestly wtf is this sh!t. Everytime I go to twist these sections, the back twists up perfectly but the rest of my hair begins unraveling because the texture has a harder time holding twists I guess. I just wish my curl pattern was uniform. I want the back texture of my hair over my whole head. It looks like I have heat damage when this is just my natural curl pattern. And it's fine to top it off:disappointed

CinnamonSugar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,229 44 4
Alleybux
there's smth so evil about growing the longest hair you ever have reached but the splits took over your ends so u know there's no point trying to keep it. im glad i kinda got over it already so i dont feel too attached to my length rn, but i do subtly think about a girl on tiktok who had heat damage and decided to keep hers with little to no issues... but i cant keep mine because i had no idea my stylist was unintentionally giving me splits all this time, which is why i havent retained any length in like 3 years e2

HakeemsHeaux

Reaction score
Reactions
57,326 2,833 100
Alleybux
Whyyyy did I start a wash day and then waste time for hours? I want to go to sleep, not do my hair again UGH :emoji_sob:

CinnamonSugar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,229 44 4
Alleybux
:( What did she do?
TLDR: I think her brush (ez detangler) isnt good for my hair, and she probably isnt very careful in how she goes about detangling.

long story: it's her detangling style. She uses an ez detangler and is generally fast and usually painless aside from that last time i went to her. But back in early 2023 i was trying to think about why my splits were so bad despite getting trims so regularly every 3-4 months (and even still seeing some start to form after my service or a week later) and i always had to cut my growth off. It didnt start to click till like aug-oct after I had to figure things out on my own for a while as she was in maternity leave for half of 2023. But she detangles kind of carelessly, and my hair probably doesnt like the ez detangler (i tried it for a while in the past and switched to a generic paddle brush cuz i didnt like it, but my friend said it was user error that it always hurt when i used it. So seeing it didnt hurt when my stylist used it and she was fast with it, i thought my friend was right). I eventually moved to the d38 last year while figuring things out on my own, and was shocked at how little hair i lost. So I started paying attention to the shed hair when my stylist did it, and i lost like 3x the hair both times i went back to her late last year even tho i always detangle the night before my service or the morning of.

GodsBaby

Reaction score
Reactions
15,894 1,276 449
Alleybux
So my latest DIY is a fail...I added far too much oil because the solid part is separating from the oil lol. Mayo and avocado are already oily and fatty so yeah just me being excessive again for no reason. I'm gonna add 2 more avocados and if that doesn't work, I'll add some cholesterol conditioner to make it creamy.

HakeemsHeaux

Reaction score
Reactions
57,326 2,833 100
Alleybux
Wavy haired white and nonblack women whining about being excluded from the cUrLy CoMmUnItY get on my last damn nerve.

I was watching this video (I know, I know)

and here comes one of them 1) dragging Black women into it, and 2) lying about what textures are accepted.

Screenshot_20240324-224036_YouTube.jpg

I played myself watching a video about hair colorism before bed anyway, but that comment annoyed the hell out of me.

CinnamonSugar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,229 44 4
Alleybux
Wavy haired white and nonblack women whining about being excluded from the cUrLy CoMmUnItY get on my last damn nerve.

I was watching this video (I know, I know)

and here comes one of them 1) dragging Black women into it, and 2) lying about what textures are accepted.

View attachment 5718592

I played myself watching a video about hair colorism before bed anyway, but that comment annoyed the hell out of me.

i had to step away from white/non-black curly girls on social media for a while, cuz they get so snappy like this all the time. when i get them on my tiktok fyp, they all will make a random comment about us either in the video or commentators will do it for them

CinnamonSugar

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
1,229 44 4
Alleybux
K18 makes my hair so deceivingly soft. literally like a cloud, but so unmoisturized at the same time. literally can barely put my fingers through this. Also used proper conditioner for the first time in 4 weeks, playing around with k18. decided i should just make it easy for myself and just use conditioner like their reps say you can. bestmy hair has felt since starting k18

also yall idk what happened, but randomly my hair got a ton of lint stuck in it, like i would pull a piece out and a then i'd see several more. it was so odd. i detangled to wash today and my brush was so full of lint, ive literally never seen this before

Last edited:

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

General Alley

Top Bottom