Quantcast

Naturals who dont wash their hair

MissCayenne

Esteemed Member of the Bonnet Brigade
Reaction score
Reactions
16,584 807 800
Alleybux
I cowash roughly every 3 weeks. I normally rinse it a couple times in between, unless I have it straightened. If there’s a little build up, I might do a ACV rinse. I use actual shampoo maybe 3 times a year. My hair is long, thick and healthy and always smells nice. This routine works fine for me.

80sbabyXO

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
83,761 1,631 948
Alleybux
Her hair seems to be very thick and healthy looking so I'm not gonna judge how often she does her wash routine.

Whatever works for her.

Pearl Shay

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,332 3,565 714
Alleybux
I've had all types of natural styles and always regularly (whatever that is for an individual) washed my hair. You don't have to use stripping shampoos, you can co-wash and do other things. I had locs for years and a semi-loose texture, especially in the front, and nothing required me not to wash my hair, even in the first days before my hair was locked, I washed with a thin wave cap on. I was able to get a good clean and rinse.

Bellz

$tanning myself
Reaction score
Reactions
68,006 3,185 2,481
Alleybux
Disagree. Not all skin is the same. I learned this in Biology AP class. Some skin is keratinized and nonkeratinized. Palms/Soles of our feet. Everyone scalp is different. Everyone skin is different too. Someone ppl can eat like crazy and shower once a day and they’re pores are never clogged. Some have to actually put in the work to get no acne.

I know females who needs to cleanse weekly because they’re scalp itch. When I was relaxed, I would wash every week faithfully. I had dandruff then too. Since I’ve been natural, my dandruff completely disappeared. When I big chopped, I would wash every 3 days. I realized it was a waste. So I tried a week then every 2 weeks. I feel like the perfect method is once a month for me. Maybe my scalp doesn’t produce enough sebum...I wish it did because it would coat my strands better. It’s strange too because I spritz water and add light oils. And there no odor.
Just because someone doesnt get acne doesnt mean their face isnt dirty. Just because a scalp doesnt itch or smell doesnt mean it isnt dirty. Your skin on your scalp is still shedding, dirt is still building up too. No one is immune to that. Also when you sweat, the toxins come out. So all that bacteria from the toxins is just sitting om your scalp for months, in addition to dirty build up and skin shedding. There's no way to justify this as being a good idea. Even if you can manage to control the smell and keep it from itching, its still nasty.

BossladyMAED

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,228 79 9
Alleybux

Both wear protective styles 99% of the time and go weeks/months withouth washing and when they wash dont use shampoo or just add more product to their hair. Natural academia says she goes 3/4 months w/o washing.

Natural hair academia recently uploaded a new hair washing vid which i believe was sponserd by 4c hair only and used their shampoo she initially didnt want to wash her entire hair with it but wash her scalp and let the soap wash down her strands till she realized her hair was too dirty to do that.

Im shocked neither of them have scalp problems because both slather oil,grease and butter like there is no tomorrow

Do u guys know any other naturals who dont wash their hair ?

I will admit I went years getting back to back twists and braids at the braiding shop and only washed when I took them down. And got them reinstalled the next day!

I am happy to report that come January 2021 I will have been extension free for 1 full year!

This year I have alternated shampooing my hair from 1x per month to 2x a month and rarely do I get 3x a month shampoos in.

I am still trying to gauge what works best for me.

It is weird because my hair reacts favorably to protective styles that last 3 weeks (no shampoo)

But my hair does feel good when I wash it multiple times per month too.

IDK

lllooo

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,576 1,344 487
Alleybux
These the girls I used to sit behind on the b12 and smell nothing but stale scalp and hate my life for the entire ride. Just wash your damn hair. Ugh!
This. I had an acquaintance who doesn’t wash her hair, and I guess she doesn’t know it but she smells stale, like all the time. Her skin looks dirty too.

Bjxxxx

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
60,856 1,064 802
Alleybux
I think you can wash the weave hair but not focus on your actual hair underneath. I believe this salon and others address how to do it.
I washed my own hair under the weave and the weave hair. It does smell if you do not.

WatchNLearn

Wonderfully and Fearfully made, TMH’s chosen
Reaction score
Reactions
23,311 829 485
Alleybux

Both wear protective styles 99% of the time and go weeks/months withouth washing and when they wash dont use shampoo or just add more product to their hair. Natural academia says she goes 3/4 months w/o washing.

Natural hair academia recently uploaded a new hair washing vid which i believe was sponserd by 4c hair only and used their shampoo she initially didnt want to wash her entire hair with it but wash her scalp and let the soap wash down her strands till she realized her hair was too dirty to do that.

Im shocked neither of them have scalp problems because both slather oil,grease and butter like there is no tomorrow

Do u guys know any other naturals who dont wash their hair ?

I’ve gone months without washing my hair. My hair is very very thick and I can’t wash it alone. It’s not down to my knees but it is longer then shoulder length? But it grows up, not down. I don’t use a ton of products, however. I feel the more you manipulate and mess with the hair you get more breakage. Leave it alone and it’ll flourish. Frequent washing, especially with hot water is just drying out the hair and scalp. But I also don’t sweat much so there’s that. To each it’s own I guess

Regal Mess

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
39,263 812 263
Alleybux
A hair stylist on Twitter said if you’re using public restrooms then there may be fecal matter in your hair.

That stuck with me.

Last edited:

WatchNLearn

Wonderfully and Fearfully made, TMH’s chosen
Reaction score
Reactions
23,311 829 485
Alleybux
I am shocked. Ya'll dirty as hell not washing your hair for MONTHS WTF.

IF I don't wash my hair every few days I feel so filthy!!!

I’m often told my hair smells GOOD! Believe it or not... and not just by hubby. Other women included. What works for me may not work for you however

edit-I don’t get the skepticism.. I clearly said what works for me may not work for you. Some of y’all act as if y’all have no idea about mechanisms of BODY CHEMISTRY. Everyone is different. I also don’t sweat so there’s that. Nor do I pile my scalp up with a million products. I don’t wrap my hair for sleeping I use silk pillow cases... not my fault y’all scalp reeks :confused5

I said what I said.... it works well for ME. I’m tempted to ask to see what y’all hair/follicles look like etc

Last edited:

Badassery xx

Sure don't give a damn!
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
47,497 831 193
Alleybux

I vaguely remember her going a whole year without washing once, but I can't find a video.

I'm not judging because different routines work for everyone and her hair seems long and healthy too.

Last edited:

Car19

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,782 8 3
Alleybux
How do you know these women aren't just lying for views? A lot of these natural hair videos are saturated with everyone now, so they need something sensational to make you click.

Cadbury

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,423 1,306 2,683
Alleybux
The idea that you retain more length by washing your hair infrequently is false IMO. I’ve noticed my hair grows faster now that I wash it every 4 days compared to when I used to wash it less often.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,904 175 9
Alleybux
I agree with shampooing at least once a week....

But girl thats two hours with no time stamps or cliffs. With some lady smacking on some chips.

wtf. absolutely disgusting going weeks /months without washing. fcking astounding

this informatove video from licenced experienced hairstylist on why you should wash your hair:

RaRaRaHu

The petty princess
Reaction score
Reactions
52,916 1,520 1,308
Alleybux
I used to do that and have no problems however, I frequently exercise so I NEED to wash my hair.
Also, won't it smell really bad at some point?

SkekSIS

By a Black woman's hands, or else by none.
Reaction score
Reactions
9,737 182 452
Alleybux
It is not infrequent washings that help with growth. It is less manipulation, which inadvertently means less washing. And because Black women have hair that breaks quite easily, they need to heavily focus on retention rather than just growth. However, the scalp must still be cared for. Thus, I have found once a week to once a month the most appropriate, and no amount of "you are dirty" or "White people think we are dirty" will be changing that for me.

Aunt Jackie

Serving up loose meat sandwiches
Reaction score
Reactions
153,449 6,252 4,148
Alleybux
Everybody's body chemistry is different and it depends on what you put in your hair. Some women sweat a lot more than others, have stronger body odors and other habits that contribute to the need for them to wash their hair more often. Sort of like white women...

And I say this as someone who used to wash their hair daily. It really isn't necessary for some people to it do daily, weekly or even monthly DEPENDING on the products used. If you're putting a bunch of chemical, petroleum BS in your hair daily, not spraying it with water or other products that also act as a deodorizer, then, yeah, you should probably wash it more often.

Some people can wash their hair often and it will still stink, sometimes worse than a person who doesn't do it as often.

Going months without washing a part of your body (scalp and hair) is nasty and poor hygene. Being dirty just so you can have long hair is sad. It ain't even worth all that.

I’m often told my hair smells GOOD! Believe it or not... and not just by hubby. Other women included. What works for me may not work for you however

Aunt Jackie

Reaction score
Reactions
153,449 6,252 4,148
Alleybux
If you're in a protective style, I think it will also help with the take down process because the shed hair isn't getting tangled with each wash/ condition. So, there's less buildup, matting and tangles when they take their hair down.

Also, some people in weaves will get mildew if they don't properly dry their hair after each wash.

I saw do what works for you. Whatever you're comfortable with and what works best for your hairs health.
It is not infrequent washings that help with growth. It is less manipulation, which inadvertently means less washing. And because Black women have hair that breaks quite easily, they need to heavily focus on retention rather than just growth. However, the scalp must still be cared for. Thus, I have found once a week to once a month the most appropriate, and no amount of "you are dirty" or "White people think we are dirty" will be changing that for me.

thehoneydip

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
126,576 181 46
Alleybux
I came across this IG birds YouTube last night just scrolling I saw numerous videos title “after 5 months taking my braids out” “taking braids out after 4 months” DISGUSTING.
Yet y’all wanna make fun of the clear people for not showering.

Aunt Jackie

Reaction score
Reactions
153,449 6,252 4,148
Alleybux
Hair can be washed and conditioned easily while in braids, especcially cornrows.

Not washing one's funky cooch, rank dick or pissy smelling legs isn't comparable to someone keeping their braids in for 4 or 5 mos, esp. if they're washing their hair. I personally don't recommend anyone leave their braids up for that long for a few reasons but that's not even close to what you're suggesting.
I came across this IG birds YouTube last night just scrolling I saw numerous videos title “after 5 months taking my braids out” “taking braids out after 4 months” DISGUSTING.
Yet y’all wanna make fun of the clear people for not showering.

Effy

Youre not my supervisor
Reaction score
Reactions
25,280 1,290 673
Alleybux
How do you know these women aren't just lying for views? A lot of these natural hair videos are saturated with everyone now, so they need something sensational to make you click.

Because natural academia tends to have build up on all her hair strands during wash day. Thick white chunks its in the video.

EllegantBizarre

I'm the sweetest bish you'll ever meet <3
Reaction score
Reactions
14,762 363 236
Alleybux
wtf. absolutely disgusting going weeks /months without washing. fcking astounding

this informatove video from licenced experienced hairstylist on why you should wash your hair:

I really like her videos. I don't agree with the hair advice 100% (I love me some leave in conditioner) but the general concept of keeping hair clean, moisturized, and not weighed down with heavy products was what I needed to hair to have my routine down to less than two hours. A lot of people want to be offended by what she's saying rather than trying it and seeing if it works. Everyone's hair is different but I believe all hair thrives when clean.

Cadbury

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,423 1,306 2,683
Alleybux

but washing your hair is damaging to the hair. Manipulation is more like chemical treatments, very tight complex braids and heat styling tools.

Edit:
Changed is to isn’t I meant to say washing your hair isn’t damaging to the hair

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
4,904 175 9
Alleybux
Washing your hair should be low manipulation. But if you don’t wash your hair for months on end, let it dry out, skip trims, and let shed hair collect and matte up. Your detangling process is going to have way more manipulation than some one washing and detangling their hair more frequently.

but washing your hair is damaging to the hair. Manipulation is more like chemical treatments, very tight complex braids and heat styling tools.

Cadbury

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
17,423 1,306 2,683
Alleybux
Washing your hair should be low manipulation. But if you don’t wash your hair for months on end, let it dry out, skip trims, and let shed hair collect and matte up. Your detangling process is going to have way more manipulation than some one washing and detangling their hair more frequently.

that was a typo, I meant to say washing your hair isn’t damaging to the hair.

Ankura

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
48,172 565 201
Alleybux

edit-I don’t get the skepticism.. I clearly said what works for me may not work for you. Some of y’all act as if y’all have no idea about mechanisms of BODY CHEMISTRY. Everyone is different. I also don’t sweat so there’s that. Nor do I pile my scalp up with a million products. I don’t wrap my hair for sleeping I use silk pillow cases... not my fault y’all scalp reeks :confused5

Does your hair smell that good that random women compliment it? Or did you ask them to smell it?

Some people are less smelly than others due to body chemistry, but given enough time every person makes body odors when they don't bathe. We're mammals.

Not telling you to wash your hair more, that's your choice.

Mrsm1879

Wishing everyone a safe and prosperous 2022!
Reaction score
Reactions
6,721 23 10
Alleybux
It makes sense to wash your hair less because less breakage. I wash my hair once a month. It's not that bad as people think because I'm not in my hair everyday. I moisturize every 2 weeks because in a protective style like braids I maintain moisture longer.
How are you not in your hair every day!?

your hair is on your scalp...your scalp has hair follicles, sebaceous glands, sweat, general day to day dirt build up.

and you let that stink and stew for a month or more!!!

Mrsm1879

Wishing everyone a safe and prosperous 2022!
Reaction score
Reactions
6,721 23 10
Alleybux
Does your hair smell that good that random women compliment it? Or did you ask them to smell it?

Some people are less smelly than others due to body chemistry, but given enough time every person makes body odors when they don't bathe. We're mammals.

Not telling you to wash your hair more, that's your choice.
This thread REEKS of head sweat, old oils and lotions built up on scalps, dandruff, dirt and most of all DENIAL!
Yes, your dirty, musty unwashed head smells bad.

hereforhair

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,091 104 26
Alleybux
This thread REEKS of head sweat, old oils and lotions built up on scalps, dandruff, dirt and most of all DENIAL!
Yes, your dirty, musty unwashed head smells bad.
A lot of this thread is also people confusing length with health/hygiene. Just because they grew their hair long doesn’t mean they have good hygiene. Those are not synonymous. Yes we can question their methods even if they got their desired results. Low manipulation is the name of the game when it comes to length retention, but there are much better ways of getting it than not washing a part of your body for 1-3 months.

Reaction score
Reactions
5,502 76 14
Alleybux
I've had locs for almost 20 years. I get a wash, deep condition and retwist twice a year. In between I put witch hazel on a q-tip then rub on my scalp whenever it gets itchy. Locs are ass length but the ends are really scrawny cause they get tangled up in everything and I keep sitting on them.

Tennessee Slim

Meow meow.. Get yo own sh!t... Joi!!
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
152,742 7,163 2,219
Alleybux
You dont wash it ever ? Why is that ?and do you have active build up or other issues that could come from not washing atleast once a month ?
I have long mostly dry hair so I use acv and that’s that. No build up or nothing. It never itches. People go crazy over my hair when it’s out and I tell them I never trim it or wash it lol that’s my secret.

Sweet_chic

Feyd Rautha's Side Chick
Reaction score
Reactions
197,396 3,671 1,155
Alleybux
Naaaaa....I'm sorry, but I can't get with this "no washing" routine lol. :joy:

When I was relaxed I used to think nothing of going 2 weeks w/out washing my hair (don't want hair to "revert" :disdain ), but now that I'm natural, I can't even IMAGINE going more than a week or two w/out washing my hair. Smh... :confused:

I try to wash once a week if possible. The LONGEST I'll wait is maybe 2 weeks, but that's only if due to special circumstances.

Most of us wash our bodies once or even twice a day. How do you think you can wash your body once a day, brush your teeth at least twice a day, but only wash your hair ONCE a month or once every three months?? :confused: That's just GROSS! I'm sorry!

Do you know how much product buildup and just dirt, dust, debris, and outside air is in your hair??

I'm sorry y'all... :LOL: I have to wash and cleanse my hair. My scalp starts to itch and my hair starts to feel dry if it hasn't been washed in a while.

But hey....whatever works for some people I guess... :unsure:

Shaddddddeee

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,059 8
Alleybux
I have NO idea how some women don’t wash their hair for months. I usually stick to my weekly wash routine religiously but last month I decided to skip a week because I was busy studying/taking finals and my bf left town to see his parents for the holidays so I figured no one would care/notice.

I workout a lot so maybe that’s why but by the end of the second week I was SO ready to wash my hair. It felt dirty and I’m not too proud to say that it definitely didn’t smell fresh. The hair products I used to moisturize during the two weeks smell really good but it’s 100% not enough to mask dirty hair/scalp scent.

I firmly believe the women who go 3-4 months without a wash never go to the gym or even for a brisk walk and they definitely don’t have boyfriends. And if they do, he does not love himself at tf all.

itwsjsthr

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
962 83 59
Alleybux
I workout too much for that. My hair would be mildewed to the gods if I tried that.

BabbleQuinn

Deng Lun's Boo
Reaction score
Reactions
8,475 141 180
Alleybux
I've had locs for almost 20 years. I get a wash, deep condition and retwist twice a year. In between I put witch hazel on a q-tip then rub on my scalp whenever it gets itchy. Locs are ass length but the ends are really scrawny cause they get tangled up in everything and I keep sitting on them.
So you only wash twice a year? Has this always been the case?

Sweet_chic

Feyd Rautha's Side Chick
Reaction score
Reactions
197,396 3,671 1,155
Alleybux
^^THIS!!!!

I can't stress this enough! I used to dread wash day until I started washing my hair more OFTEN (sometimes even once every 3 or 4 days). I came to find that I lost less hair, had FEWER tangles, and wash day was actually easier when I washed more frequently. When I go longer than a week from washing or at least moisturizing and putting SOME water on my hair, I find that my hair is more prone to tangles, breakage, etc...and it doesn't retain length all that well. :(

BabbleQuinn

Deng Lun's Boo
Reaction score
Reactions
8,475 141 180
Alleybux

^^THIS!!!!

I can't stress this enough! I used to dread wash day until I started washing my hair more OFTEN (sometimes even once every 3 or 4 days). I came to find that I lost less hair, had FEWER tangles, and wash day was actually easier when I washed more frequently. When I go longer than a week from washing or at least moisturizing and putting SOME water on my hair, I find that my hair is more prone to tangles, breakage, etc...and it doesn't retain length all that well. :(

I have a counter to this point. It doesn't work for everyone. I also tried the "wash your hair frequently so you don't have to spend time detangling as much" strategy (I really wanted it to work) but it didn't work for me. I noticed my detangling time stayed pretty consistent whether I was washing after a week or a month and I really didn't have time to detangle on a daily basis so I stopped.

Just cause something works for your hair doesn't mean it works for everyone. I'm sure there are lots of people in the same boat as me. These factors really depend on porosity, strand structure and curl pattern.

I still don't support going more than a month without washing and not moisturizing your hair in between washes. Just adding another data point.