Quantcast

Never tell people your standards and/or requirements for a relationship.

BrizAy

I pay them all in dust.
Reaction score
Reactions
105,502 3,511 1,102
Alleybux
I’ve learned that people will usually try to assess if you’re “worth” what you’re asking for or require. I work with a guy (Black) that is 63 at my pt job & we have had some conversations about relationships & marriage. It’s not a corporate environment & very lax & laid back. He’s decided that based on my age, being Black, and not wanting kids, I have to accept men in their 60s+. And that there are a lot of good-looking older men that will be better for me bc I havent had the greatest experience with men in my age group (30-40).

ETA: Please dont come in here being self-righteous. Maybe some of yall knew all this at 12. It took some of us a long time to figure it out.

Last edited:

bellpepper

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
157,474 4,633 957
Alleybux
I don't think there's anything wrong with talking about what you're looking for when it comes to a partner. I do think that the opinions or negging (like the guy in your post OP) of others shouldn't convince you that you don't deserve what you're looking for.

I usually save those conversations with certain people for certain purposes but I don't see the harm in casually discussing it. At work, I would have to use more discernment when choosing to share, especially with men.

TheCluesIleftForYou

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
276,410 15,292 4,091
Alleybux
My mother once told me never tell a guy what you want in a guy, he will mold himself to be what you want but not truly be it. My favorite saying is by Chris Rock he speaks on the first months of dating you are meeting their representative, a person who they want to be but aren't truly. But sooner or later the representative has to go home and you are left with the real person. Remember time reveals all.

rubyhikesamile

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
67,992 1,563 333
Alleybux
This is why some of move in silence and don't get too comfortable in the work place. Hopefully, you can course correct w/ how you interact w/ this coworker in the future.

leblumeii

im cute.
Reaction score
Reactions
319,443 4,806 2,013
Alleybux
That man is just trying to get in your pants sis lmao

He said you HAVE to accept men who are 60+?? And told you part of the reason for that is because you're black? In this day and age, if you look good, you could date a man who was 25 if you wanted to. Men will say anything to make you believe you need to include them specifically in your dating portfolio. That is all this is and you just have to recognize them for what they're attempting to do.

I don't do old, broke, men who are chronically unemployed, men who don't have a legal means of earning money, or ugly men. I tell people my standards for myself if asked, if they try to convince me otherwise... just tell them to stop trying to get women to lower our standards so they can get chose.

Nitpickr

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
70,073 2,368 2,105
Alleybux
People just generally tell everyone everything these days. How many more times will we need to tell black women to shut up about what they are doing/thinking?

Cada2

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
167,043 15,892 2,327
Alleybux
This conversation can go a few ways.

As a woman, yes you need to be careful about what you share, because a man will lie like that and pretend to be Mr. Right to see how far it will get him.

BrizAy

I pay them all in dust.
Reaction score
Reactions
105,502 3,511 1,102
Alleybux
That man is just trying to get in your pants sis lmao

He said you HAVE to accept men who are 60+?? And told you part of the reason for that is because you're black? In this day and age, if you look good, you could date a man who was 25 if you wanted to. Men will say anything to make you believe you need to include them specifically in your dating portfolio. That is all this is and you just have to recognize them for what they're attempting to do.

I don't do old, broke, men who are chronically unemployed, men who don't have a legal means of earning money, or ugly men. I tell people my standards for myself if asked, if they try to convince me otherwise... just tell them to stop trying to get women to lower our standards so they can get chose.
LMAO! He specifically said “Dont think I’m talking about myself. My friend is 65.” My co-worker is married, but only let it slip once that he was. Everyone was shocked.

GoldenAries

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
20,673 210 45
Alleybux
My mother once told me never tell a guy what you want in a guy, he will mold himself to be what you want but not truly be it. My favorite saying is by Chris Rock he speaks on the first months of dating you are meeting their representative, a person who they want to be but aren't truly. But sooner or later the representative has to go home and you are left with the real person. Remember time reveals all.
Very true... I hate to admit I’ve experienced this myself, lol.

I believe it’s wise to set standards, but not go out of your way to vocalize everything you want in detail to a man early on.

Reaction score
Reactions
7,774 47 26
Alleybux
Lmao this is only an issue if the bar/standard is silly/basic

I went with this: I want to be married, I'm not fµck!ng anybody I'm not married too. I don't need you to be my boyfriend because we won't be having xes anyway. Great to get to know you though, loving meeting new people and making friends

They always remained interested from there...but laying out how much you think someone should call/text or the concept of "building" or who goes on who socials....nah. No pussy, ring talk, with rings only, or get off my phone (but in the nicest sweetest way : ))

KelOverKenan

KelOverKenan did the thing
Reaction score
Reactions
251,434 7,657 2,236
Alleybux
I’ve learned that people will usually try to assess if you’re “worth” what you’re asking for or require. I work with a guy (Black) that is 63 at my pt job & we have had some conversations about relationships & marriage. It’s not a corporate environment & very lax & laid back. He’s decided that based on my age, being Black, and not wanting kids, I have to accept men in their 60s+.
He’s delusional and sounds like he’s trying to come on to you.

AI Boyfriend

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
106,766 6,798 5,940
Alleybux
Does this apply to men as well? Can men lay out their cards too much and run women off? I think women like mystery early on. If you tell them you're dating for marriage, that can turn off a woman who is dating for fun and isn't looking for anything serious.

msellie

Mrs. Jock Ewing
Reaction score
Reactions
65,093 3,950 416
Alleybux
Just lie and tell the old azzes, the ugly azzes and the ones that just have zero connection that you are married and they havent seen your husband bc he travels a lot for work.

OP, i swear that i know and relate to everything that you are saying.

you probably have a happy and active dating life, but there is always a mf somewhere trying to tell you that you need to be “giving someone a shot” that you have zero interest in knowing, even in a platonic way.

imo, those discussions can be poisonous if the woman is in a vulnerable place.

i really hate to say it, but just lie and keep the personal details in your life really private when possible. The convo that they initiate about your dating options should be avoided. Completely avoided.

chocoLate290

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
87,971 4,207 1,986
Alleybux
Does this apply to men as well? Can men lay out their cards too much and run women off? I think women like mystery early on. If you tell them you're dating for marriage, that can turn off a woman who is dating for fun and isn't looking for anything serious.
Honestly, yes this happens too, but in my opinion it’s always better to tell the person straight away what you’re looking for whether it’s serious or not to avoid leading that person on. To me what turns me off as a woman when a guy tells me he loves me after only one month of talking, or when he’s already imagining us getting married with kids, that’s creepy to me and desperate because if we barely know each other why is he imagining all this stuff with me? It makes me feel like he says all those nice things just to get in my pants, and I’m not naive, I can sense when someone is trying hard to pretend to be this serious guy who’s in love with you

THE GREAT 1

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
63,682 1,541 264
Alleybux
I think individuals knowing right off gives them the ability to temporarily acquiesce to what you're looking for in order to "get you" ...then after that their true colors present themselves. I've seen it happen.

babablkshp

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
45,640 882 323
Alleybux
Men will say anything to make you believe you need to include them specifically in your dating portfolio. That is all this is and you just have to recognize them for what they're attempting to do.

lmao this is a WORD

I think overall people share too much for false intimacy instead of actually paying attention to actions and intent to see if you’re on the same page. Why share all that info right up front?

kamilamb

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,200 775 96
Alleybux
I’ve learned that people will usually try to assess if you’re “worth” what you’re asking for or require. I work with a guy (Black) that is 63 at my pt job & we have had some conversations about relationships & marriage. It’s not a corporate environment & very lax & laid back. He’s decided that based on my age, being Black, and not wanting kids, I have to accept men in their 60s+. And that there are a lot of good-looking older men that will be better for me bc I havent had the greatest experience with men in my age group (30-40).

ETA: Please dont come in here being self-righteous. Maybe some of yall knew all this at 12. It took some of us a long time to figure it out.

Don't listen to him.

AI Boyfriend

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
106,766 6,798 5,940
Alleybux
lmao this is a WORD

I think overall people share too much for false intimacy instead of actually paying attention to actions and intent to see if you’re on the same page. Why share all that info right up front?
Yeah you have to find that middle ground where you aren't sharing too much early on but you also aren't hiding anything or wasting your time.

BrizAy

I pay them all in dust.
Reaction score
Reactions
105,502 3,511 1,102
Alleybux
I think it does. I’m always leery of men who are trying to lock me down super fast. It’s usually future-faking & trying to talk their way into some ass. But acting aloof & expecting me to chase you is a turn-off as well. We’ll just “I aint sweating him/her” into a mutual ghosting.

MissDeee

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
35,653 714 149
Alleybux
He is funny. The older I get, the more I realize men are really just useful for xes. And most of them can't even do that right.

BrizAy

I pay them all in dust.
Reaction score
Reactions
105,502 3,511 1,102
Alleybux
you probably have a happy and active dating life, but there is always a mf somewhere trying to tell you that you need to be “giving someone a shot” that you have zero interest in knowing, even in a platonic way.
Exactly this! Now, I have dated some folks I definitely shouldnt have & I have learned & AM learning from those mistakes. But, anytime I tried the “just give him a chance” approach, I have always regretted it. And it’s people projecting & using their own criteria to assess what makes someone suitable. I dont have & dont want kids & am openly & unapologetic about it. I also dont believe I have to date someone 50+ to not worry about that. This same co-worker also calls me selfish for not wanting children because “ wHaT aBoUt wHaT tHe mAn wAnTs.”

NarcoticVenus

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
29,670 734 410
Alleybux
Ladies, I want you to remember this if nothing else.

A man who does not know you does not want anything but xes from you. At this point, he does not care what you want.

As you talk and date with your legs closed, you will get to know each other and then he will know if he wants you in his life long-term. At the same time, you are vetting him and deciding if you want him in your life. If he does not stick around, good riddance. It seems like a lot of ladies just meet someone and immediately expect them to be seriously pursuing them. Then when they ghost or play games, the ladies can't figure out what happened.

You are meant to date several people, (without sleeping with them) in the course of your life.

I know dating sucks but the more you date, the better chance you have to meet someone who meets your standards. Don't take yourself off the market for the first dusty that swipes right.

Saying "I want a serious relationship" during the first few conversations makes you sound like you just want a man, any man. Unfortunately, I think a lot of ladies fall into this trap and it reduces the respect the man has for her. Showing your worth means showing that you are not pressed for a relationship. You will only consider a serious relationship if you meet the right man

When it comes to standards, you want to see the real man. The more you talk about standards and requirements, the more fake he will be. Just tell him you want to see how it goes and take it from there. Let him feel free to be himself.

I see some ladies concerned that if you tell him you want to go with the flow, he will think you only want xes. It doesn't matter what he thinks because:

1. He wants xes anyway but you are going to keep your legs closed so he is SOL.
2. If he falls for you, it doesn't matter what you said. He is going to want to lock you down.

There is never any reason to tell a man you just met anything except your fake name, burner phone number, and general information. Spend the time asking him about himself not talking about you.

Jeveryday

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,134 835 375
Alleybux

There's a difference between communicating standards and giving someone your playbook. I wouldn't suggest you do the latter even for your husband. You learn their interest by how well they apply the information you give them, observe you, and what they present you with to attempt to please you.

soursopsis

General Manager
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
23,223 447 56
Alleybux
My mother once told me never tell a guy what you want in a guy, he will mold himself to be what you want but not truly be it.

Wow this never occurred to me but it is so true. Thanks for sharing, your mother gave you great advice