Quantcast

New Jersey car crash victim, 22, has the world's first successful face and double hand transplant

Ms Vandross

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
184,554 15,255 8,202
Alleybux
22-Year-Old Undergoes World’s First Successful Face and Hands Transplant: ‘I Feel Really Grateful’

upload_2021-2-3_23-25-58.jpeg

It’s a new day for Joe DiMeo.

For the first time in history, doctors at New York University’s Langone medical center have successfully undertaken a simultaneous face and bilateral hand transplant, giving DiMeo, 22, a future he never could have dreamed of three years ago after a devastating car accident.

On Wednesday, Aug. 12, a team of more than 140 surgeons, nurses and other hospital staff were on hand during the 23-hour surgery.

The most astounding aspect of the operation wasn’t the well-orchestrated symphony of doctors. It was Joe himself.

“There’s always light at the end of the tunnel,” Joe, from Clark, NJ, told The Post of his amazing transformation. “Never give up and never let your appearance slow you down. Always look at the good things.”

a-man-holding-a-sign-posing-for-the-camera-nyu-langone-health-joe-dimeo-before-and-after-face-and-ha_972386_.jpg

Joe’s donor was fitted with replica parts thanks to three-dimensional photography and printing technology provided by NYU’s LaGuardia Studio, using a soft-silicone material that mimics human skin. “It looks so perfect,” said Dr. Rodriguez

“Despite the fact that they’re now declared deceased … we still respect the dignity of the donor,” he added. “It’s important for us to continue to care for the donor because that patient is still our patient.”

38840800-9218067-image-m-131_1612376303242.jpg

The team completed the 23-hour surgery at breakneck speed. They waited until now to announce the success of the operation, since often, many similar transplants don’t go as well.

Nevertheless, Rodriguez never lost hope, even while he was temporarily transferred to the pandemic front lines last year.

“Despite the fact that our priorities changed, and we had to care for patients that were in dire straits, in the back of our mind [we] never stopped thinking about identifying Joe’s donor,” said Rodriguez.

Over the past few months, Joe has made incredible strides, achieving small milestones all the time — getting dressed, walking the dogs, taking a shower — often right under his doting parents’ noses.
Joe says he’s most looking forward to the freedom of driving. But already he’s living a life far more independent than before.
NYU
“We get surprised,” said father John DiMeo, who described the shock of discovering his once-debilitated son grabbing food from the refrigerator on his own, or playing pool in the basement. “We didn’t know that [happened] until we heard the balls banging around!” he proclaimed, with a tone of both excitement and exasperation.

In turn, his unstoppable progress keeps his parents energized, too. “It gives us power,” said mom, Rose, who worked in childcare until she began caring for her son full time.

Along with his son’s dogged determination and self-discipline, John, who is also at home on disability, insisted that his wife Rose was key to Joe’s recovery.

“He lucked out with having her for a mother,” he told The Post. “[She has] the patience of a saint.”

Joe agreed. “She’s like my sidekick.”

His next big goal: driving again.

“[But] I’m not trying to rush into it,” Joe added. “Plus the DMVs are closed — I can’t change my license picture.”

On a more serious note, he insists that his new appearance hasn’t changed him.

“I’m still the same guy, you know, before the surgery and after surgery,” he said. “Even before the burns I was still the same guy. Just my stages of life. I just keep rolling with the punches and keep moving on. Nothing really holds me back.”

Last edited:

sansissue

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
130,924 5,665 404
Alleybux
It's fantastic. God bless him and God bless the donor's soul. The mom also is a real MVP like most of mothers.

Reaction score
Reactions
6,868 110 6
Alleybux
It's amazing the things they can do. He has a great attitude. The human body is so resilient.

ReeveGauche

Classy Never Goes Out of Style
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
16,372 206 25
Alleybux
Wow, incredible story. I'm glad everything worked out in the end.

PS: is it just me or does Dr. Eduardo in the video look like a younger Andrew Cuomo? I know i'm not blind.

Last edited:

DaBrokeHomieTre

#chevelryisdead. Sunrise:05/7/1928 Sunset:04/17/23
Reaction score
Reactions
58,262 2,871 4,526
Alleybux
It's cute that you all are so positive and sh!t...but dude got a face transplant.

tumblr_noeqo4b9aO1u5g4cmo1_250.gif

The man has a face transplant

AaaBb

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,007 97 140
Alleybux
22-Year-Old Undergoes World’s First Successful Face and Hands Transplant: ‘I Feel Really Grateful’

View attachment 2294223

It’s a new day for Joe DiMeo.

For the first time in history, doctors at New York University’s Langone medical center have successfully undertaken a simultaneous face and bilateral hand transplant, giving DiMeo, 22, a future he never could have dreamed of three years ago after a devastating car accident.

On Wednesday, Aug. 12, a team of more than 140 surgeons, nurses and other hospital staff were on hand during the 23-hour surgery.

The most astounding aspect of the operation wasn’t the well-orchestrated symphony of doctors. It was Joe himself.

“There’s always light at the end of the tunnel,” Joe, from Clark, NJ, told The Post of his amazing transformation. “Never give up and never let your appearance slow you down. Always look at the good things.”

a-man-holding-a-sign-posing-for-the-camera-nyu-langone-health-joe-dimeo-before-and-after-face-and-ha_972386_.jpg

Joe’s donor was fitted with replica parts thanks to three-dimensional photography and printing technology provided by NYU’s LaGuardia Studio, using a soft-silicone material that mimics human skin. “It looks so perfect,” said Dr. Rodriguez

“Despite the fact that they’re now declared deceased … we still respect the dignity of the donor,” he added. “It’s important for us to continue to care for the donor because that patient is still our patient.”

38840800-9218067-image-m-131_1612376303242.jpg

The team completed the 23-hour surgery at breakneck speed. They waited until now to announce the success of the operation, since often, many similar transplants don’t go as well.

Nevertheless, Rodriguez never lost hope, even while he was temporarily transferred to the pandemic front lines last year.

“Despite the fact that our priorities changed, and we had to care for patients that were in dire straits, in the back of our mind [we] never stopped thinking about identifying Joe’s donor,” said Rodriguez.

Over the past few months, Joe has made incredible strides, achieving small milestones all the time — getting dressed, walking the dogs, taking a shower — often right under his doting parents’ noses.
Joe says he’s most looking forward to the freedom of driving. But already he’s living a life far more independent than before.
NYU
“We get surprised,” said father John DiMeo, who described the shock of discovering his once-debilitated son grabbing food from the refrigerator on his own, or playing pool in the basement. “We didn’t know that [happened] until we heard the balls banging around!” he proclaimed, with a tone of both excitement and exasperation.

In turn, his unstoppable progress keeps his parents energized, too. “It gives us power,” said mom, Rose, who worked in childcare until she began caring for her son full time.

Along with his son’s dogged determination and self-discipline, John, who is also at home on disability, insisted that his wife Rose was key to Joe’s recovery.

“He lucked out with having her for a mother,” he told The Post. “[She has] the patience of a saint.”

Joe agreed. “She’s like my sidekick.”

His next big goal: driving again.

“[But] I’m not trying to rush into it,” Joe added. “Plus the DMVs are closed — I can’t change my license picture.”

On a more serious note, he insists that his new appearance hasn’t changed him.

“I’m still the same guy, you know, before the surgery and after surgery,” he said. “Even before the burns I was still the same guy. Just my stages of life. I just keep rolling with the punches and keep moving on. Nothing really holds me back.”

it was the last paragraph that got me!! i love his response!!!!

because if not i was about to WTF this post because I really wish it had spoilers! :cry::ROFLMAO:

beezle

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,801 48 25
Alleybux
Technology can do some amazing things. And just think, it's only going to get better.

TheCoolHam

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,698 3,236 1,148
Alleybux
we're not at face off levels of transplants but ill be damned if it doesnt look like we're getting there.

the first full face transplant wasn't even performed until 10 years ago. this is wild and i love to see it.

Velveteen Sky

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
53,971 1,624 1,175
Alleybux
This is great for him.

I’ve always wondered why face transplants have such a short shelf life (only 10-15 years), though?

Skin is an organ, but the rejection rate is very high for such a simple organ. I wonder if the future of face transplants are going to involve grown skin from the patient and just plastic surgery to fight the rejection issues...

LACQUER

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
120,562 5,784 1,518
Alleybux
"On Wednesday, Aug. 12, a team of more than 140 surgeons, nurses and other hospital staff were on hand during the 23-hour surgery."

Can someone explain to me how this happens? Is it planned in advance? 140 surgeons?? What kind of insurance would that take? Im genuinely asking.

Can you just tell doctors you want a face and hand transplant and schedule an appointment for something like this? What had to happen for this to come together for this guy? Is it just a matter of having amazing insurance and a ton of money to throw at it?

TheCoolHam

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,698 3,236 1,148
Alleybux
"On Wednesday, Aug. 12, a team of more than 140 surgeons, nurses and other hospital staff were on hand during the 23-hour surgery."

Can someone explain to me how this happens? Is it planned in advance? 140 surgeons?? What kind of insurance would that take? Im genuinely asking.

Can you just tell doctors you want a face and hand transplant and schedule an appointment for something like this? What had to happen for this to come together for this guy? Is it just a matter of having amazing insurance and a ton of money to throw at it?

in some cases with surgeries that are still pushing the bounds of what is possible, a lot of doctors will offer to do it just to see if it can be done. or it gets funding from other (usually federal or big corporations) that want to see it done and are happy to find someone desperate enough to say yes.

the patient knows what they're getting into, but generally money isn't a concern.
He’s the First African American to Receive a Face Transplant. His Story Could Change Health Care

the first black man to get a face transplant got it for free because the department of defense wanted to test a different immuno suppression therapy or something like that.

Earthenware Kitt

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
318,534 26,413 3,542
Alleybux
Salute to the Black man who saved his life:

R&B legend saves young man from burning car

"Police Chief Vincent Ricciardi said a preliminary investigation determined the 2013 Dodge Charger was being driven eastbound at a high rate of speed just prior to the driver losing control, striking the curb and then striking a utility pole which caused the vehicle to overturn and catch fire.

The investigation into the crash is ongoing.

“I knew it was somebody trapped in there and needed help getting out,” said Mills, a Summit resident. “It was flipping in the direction that I was driving.”

When the car stopped, Mills said Joseph somehow managed to get halfway out of his car. Mills said he then jumped over the highway divider to pull him out of the car, worrying that the car would explode.

Photos:

R&B Legend, Original Blue Magic Lead Singer Ted Wizard Mills Rescues Man from Burning Car in Hillside

Last edited:

LACQUER

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
120,562 5,784 1,518
Alleybux
in some cases with surgeries that are still pushing the bounds of what is possible, a lot of doctors will offer to do it just to see if it can be done. or it gets funding from other (usually federal or big corporations) that want to see it done and are happy to find someone desperate enough to say yes.

the patient knows what they're getting into, but generally money isn't a concern.
He’s the First African American to Receive a Face Transplant. His Story Could Change Health Care

the first black man to get a face transplant got it for free because the department of defense wanted to test a different immuno suppression therapy or something like that.

Thank you for the explanation

Now all I see is "Department of Defense.... Immunosuppression therapy..." :coffee:

_Leyanna

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
5,159 126 34
Alleybux
This is great for him.

I’ve always wondered why face transplants have such a short shelf life (only 10-15 years), though?

Skin is an organ, but the rejection rate is very high for such a simple organ. I wonder if the future of face transplants are going to involve grown skin from the patient and just plastic surgery to fight the rejection issues...

Most of the folks who undergo face transplants/large skin transplants experience some type of trauma (burns, accidents) that needed treatment. They've already had multiple blood transfusions and skin grafts from different donors so their immune systems are already heightened (HLA sensitization). Their bodies are ready to attack anything foreign and increase the chances of the face transplant being rejected.

JustDessert

Already gettin it done...
Reaction score
Reactions
53,175 569 692
Alleybux
I'm SO happy for the recipients, at the same time I can go my entire life and not want to know anything else about this level of surgical intervention.