Would you go oil-free?

• Total voters

Fortuona

Daughter of the 9 Moons
Reaction score
Reactions
1,539 38 3
Alleybux
So I only used CR Curl Maker after shampoo and conditioner for a wash&go and my hair is still soft and moisturised on day 4!! Usually my hair is crispy by day 2.

The definition is pretty much gone now so I'll wash my hair again, but is it safe to use a hooded dryer every week?

MsCranDarling90

Positivity, smiles and boundaries <3
Reaction score
Reactions
4,431 74 67
Alleybux
I know I already quoted this earlier this week. But I'm back to laugh about this again. I thought of it this morning when I was fluffing my hair to get ready for work. I giggled.

Your comment brought me joy.
200.gif

When we do the Verzuz, my hair is going to wear D'angelo's fluffy coat! :arrogant
dangelo-verzuz.jpg

Meth will be UFD curly magic, Redman will play Innsersense ICH. A classic duo with great chemistry.

How did I miss that comment from @greyblue??? That is hilarious! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL:

Reaction score
Reactions
3,087 32 3
Alleybux
So I only used CR Curl Maker after shampoo and conditioner for a wash&go and my hair is still soft and moisturised on day 4!! Usually my hair is crispy by day 2.

The definition is pretty much gone now so I'll wash my hair again, but is it safe to use a hooded dryer every week?
The Camille Rose Curl Maker has coconut oil pretty high in the ingredient list (#3), so you might want to make sure that you use an all-purpose shampoo weekly and clarify monthly. Personally, I wouldn't use a product that's so heavy in oil. It would be counterproductive to my goals.

Ditto to @LoveyDove on this indirect heat.

I liked the caption in this IG post that I read this morning. Good reminders.

Tacosandcrls

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
38,399 1,370 591
Alleybux

I use mine every week (since September when I bought it) with no issues.

Reaction score
Reactions
7,249 327 15
Alleybux
Hey guys!! short-term lurker of this thread (finally got through all 31 pages lol). About 1 month ago I started following these ladies and wowww there's so much to learn. I'm gonna be watching jennifer's lives tomorrow and picking up some products this weekend and I'm hella excited. but... I have a few questions
1) I tried the wash and go with water and gel but I don't know how you guys refresh in the morning without water! I take showers at night and I'm afraid the steam from the shower won't be enough to get my hair to bounce back in the morning. but I am tired of the frizz from refreshing with water. Maybe things will be better when I do my first clarify shampoo
2) I have some leave in-s that I want to use up, and from what I saw I know they don't find leave in's necessary. What are some good ways to use up my leave in's and also how do I Incorporate them going forward (for those that still do use them)
3) what do you guys use for deep conditioning. Again, I see it's not necessary but I still want to have that safety blanket to fall back on for now until I start seeing results (n).

by the way thank yall for all the recommendations! this thread was a lot easier than having to go through all the twitter threads and IG posts lol

Teyana Breezy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,015 1,441 37
Alleybux
Hey guys!! short-term lurker of this thread (finally got through all 31 pages lol). About 1 month ago I started following these ladies and wowww there's so much to learn. I'm gonna be watching jennifer's lives tomorrow and picking up some products this weekend and I'm hella excited. but... I have a few questions
1) I tried the wash and go with water and gel but I don't know how you guys refresh in the morning without water! I take showers at night and I'm afraid the steam from the shower won't be enough to get my hair to bounce back in the morning. but I am tired of the frizz from refreshing with water. Maybe things will be better when I do my first clarify shampoo
2) I have some leave in-s that I want to use up, and from what I saw I know they don't find leave in's necessary. What are some good ways to use up my leave in's and also how do I Incorporate them going forward (for those that still do use them)
3) what do you guys use for deep conditioning. Again, I see it's not necessary but I still want to have that safety blanket to fall back on for now until I start seeing results (n).

by the way thank yall for all the recommendations! this thread was a lot easier than having to go through all the twitter threads and IG posts lol

Glad you made it through. I would've just skipped to the end lol.

1. What products are you using, how are you drying, and did you follow the technique with washing/conditioning? Thise are the main things that will affect frizz. I shower in the morning and the steam is enough for me.

2. Fonts have said they use a little leave in under geks they find too hard. It seems to give a softer hold.

3. Unless you have actual damage, there's no need for the safety net of DC. It's not doing anything for you if you have healthy hair. Focus on really working your regular conditioner into the hair, marrying it with the water and giving it the ability to penetrate your strands. You won't miss DC's when you get your routine down pat.

Reaction score
Reactions
7,249 327 15
Alleybux
Glad you made it through. I would've just skipped to the end lol.

1. What products are you using, how are you drying, and did you follow the technique with washing/conditioning? Thise are the main things that will affect frizz. I shower in the morning and the steam is enough for me.

2. Fonts have said they use a little leave in under geks they find too hard. It seems to give a softer hold.

3. Unless you have actual damage, there's no need for the safety net of DC. It's not doing anything for you if you have healthy hair. Focus on really working your regular conditioner into the hair, marrying it with the water and giving it the ability to penetrate your strands. You won't miss DC's when you get your routine down pat.

Thanks girl!

I Shampoo with patent gold for naturals (will be discontinuing use as I seen Jennifer doesn't recommend) and aussie moist conditioner. I usually use Texture id leave and UFD and air drying and refresh with water in morning. but a few days ago I just used the water and UFD only to realize I need a topper for more hold, but my wash and go is behaving as normal. My hair repels tf out of water so I will be picking up a clarifying shampoo as well as a moisturizing shampoo.

and thanks for the tip about the leave in! after this I won't be buying anymore lol. And okay I get what you mean about the DC. I have colored hair so my hair be feeling like straw sometimes, but I don't think it's damaged. I'll try these methods with the new products and ill pray that steam can refresh my hair next time I go to do a wash and go.

ReinaDuNord

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,112 728 313
Alleybux
Thanks girl!

I Shampoo with patent gold for naturals (will be discontinuing use as I seen Jennifer doesn't recommend) and aussie moist conditioner. I usually use Texture id leave and UFD and air drying and refresh with water in morning. but a few days ago I just used the water and UFD only to realize I need a topper for more hold, but my wash and go is behaving as normal. My hair repels tf out of water so I will be picking up a clarifying shampoo as well as a moisturizing shampoo.

and thanks for the tip about the leave in! after this I won't be buying anymore lol. And okay I get what you mean about the DC. I have colored hair so my hair be feeling like straw sometimes, but I don't think it's damaged. I'll try these methods with the new products and ill pray that steam can refresh my hair next time I go to do a wash and go.

Hmm. What do you mean by refresh?

I wng for the most part but my hair is still on the shorter side (~6-8” stretched). I usually just need to fluff in the mornings... and I wear a shower cap because I’m unable to not get my hair wet. lol!

It was an expensive test but...I bought sample sizes of Redken clarifier and all soft poo/con and my hair felt good after. But I don’t think it was necessarily better than the results I get with Design Essentials so I’ll keep using that until it’s gone.

But Jennifer is usually pretty clear that she uses Redken because she considers it universal for all hair textures. As long as you have a quality shampoo and conditioner, and the technique is there, it’s good. Also, no air drying. My hair does perform WAY better now that I sit under the dryer each time.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,087 32 3
Alleybux

Ditto to what @Teyana Breezy said

Yaaay! for making it through the pages.

Wash and Go Refresh: The steam from the shower in the morning and a vigorous shake, plus a little tugging here and there gets everything in place for me.

Leave-Ins: I don't use them. Don't have a recommendation for using them up. Don't feel like you need to use something just because you bought it. I know that can be hard.

Deep Conditioners: Don't use them. Not only are you adding a step to your routine (that's unnecessary), but also - most of the deep conditioners are very rich in oils and butters. Remember you're trying to get your hair to accept water easily so it can be hydrated. Using deep conditioners is counterproductive to that goal.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,087 32 3
Alleybux
The word might be getting out! I saw this video last night and was scrolling through the comments and saw all of these pro/anti no oil comments. It wasn't until the end of the video where she said that she's considering looking into it and asked for people to share their thoughts in the comments.

She mentions it at about the 16:28 mark. The link should take you to that part of the video.

I have to go add my 2 cents now, and cheer on some of the others LOL!

Reaction score
Reactions
7,249 327 15
Alleybux
Hmm. What do you mean by refresh?

I wng for the most part but my hair is still on the shorter side (~6-8” stretched). I usually just need to fluff in the mornings... and I wear a shower cap because I’m unable to not get my hair wet. lol!

It was an expensive test but...I bought sample sizes of Redken clarifier and all soft poo/con and my hair felt good after. But I don’t think it was necessarily better than the results I get with Design Essentials so I’ll keep using that until it’s gone.

But Jennifer is usually pretty clear that she uses Redken because she considers it universal for all hair textures. As long as you have a quality shampoo and conditioner, and the technique is there, it’s good. Also, no air drying. My hair does perform WAY better now that I sit under the dryer each time.

My hair is smusheddddd in the morning and the curls are deformed. Water gets them to look normal again. and do you use the shower cap in the mornings in the shower or at night? I'll take you guys advice about the steam. And sounds good about the shampoo I feel that's really where I go wrong because that pantene gold dried out my hair (n), and I don't really have a choice but to air dry right now but hopefully I can invest in a hooded dryer soon!

Ditto to what @Teyana Breezy said

Yaaay! for making it through the pages.

Wash and Go Refresh: The steam from the shower in the morning and a vigorous shake, plus a little tugging here and there gets everything in place for me.

Leave-Ins: I don't use them. Don't have a recommendation for using them up. Don't feel like you need to use something just because you bought it. I know that can be hard.

Deep Conditioners: Don't use them. Not only are you adding a step to your routine (that's unnecessary), but also - most of the deep conditioners are very rich in oils and butters. Remember you're trying to get your hair to accept water easily so it can be hydrated. Using deep conditioners is counterproductive to that goal.

Awesome ill try the shower tip that makes more sense!! Thanks!! and ur right. It's gonna be hard but I'm gonna have to let them go lol

Tacosandcrls

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
38,399 1,370 591
Alleybux

I too don't need to refresh and wear a shower cap. I put my wash and go in little pineapples to go to bed (cover with a bonnet) and in the AM I just remove the satin scrunchies and shake, fluff, and go.

I'm using up my leave ins for now. Lol. They aren't causing any harm for me. I'll test out going without them after I've used them up. When I go to the salon she doesn't use a leave in so I already know how that's going to go.

I'm also using up my DCs. I like CR Coconut Water Treatment. Once I use up my DCs I'll probably keep that one on hand. My hair stays colored however so I'll keep DCs in the regular routine because of that just reduce the frequency.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Reactions
3,087 32 3
Alleybux
My hair is smusheddddd in the morning and the curls are deformed. Water gets them to look normal again. and do you use the shower cap in the mornings in the shower or at night? I'll take you guys advice about the steam.l
I shower in the morning without a shower cap. I don't know what I would do if I showered at night. My hair is completely smushed too, after sleeping.

greyblue

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
3,421 140 6
Alleybux
The word might be getting out! I saw this video last night and was scrolling through the comments and saw all of these pro/anti no oil comments. It wasn't until the end of the video where she said that she's considering looking into it and asked for people to share their thoughts in the comments.

She mentions it at about the 16:28 mark. The link should take you to that part of the video.

It's funny because back in November last year she had a big fight over Lou Lou about her hydration method. :whistle::ROFLMAO:

Sometimes I wonder if they make these videos for drama or are really struggling lol. Is the washing once a month and LOC method working for you or not? Lol

Anyway....looking forward to my wash minutes tomorrow!!! Yes... minutes..I still have a twa so my wash and gos only take a few minutes. Lol

Last edited:

IamYourKween

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,638 823 215
Alleybux

giphy.gif

The movement is catching on! I wonder if most of these natural hair brands are gonna catch on too now! Ooh this is going to be exciting to watch!

Welp, had my 4th wash day (2nd for my mom) using the ION Hardwater /AG Boost Shampoo, AG Conditioner and styled with The Doux Mousse on myself and Some natural hair care brands for my mom (Adowa beauty moitsurizing shampoo/Miche limited ediiton sweet pumpkin spice DC as a rinse out conditioner

TBH, I prefer using the mousse oppose to gel when I first wash my hair since it dries way quicker, but then I also like gel for a touch up (but have to deal with UFD frizzing up if its humid)

Either way, I still suck at styling and can't maintain my hair styles but Im definitely happy with how my hair feels after wash day. I don't miss that product heavy feeling at all!

Reaction score
Reactions
3,087 32 3
Alleybux
It's funny because back in November last year she had a big fight over Lou Lou about her hydration method. :whistle::ROFLMAO:
YOU'RE RIGHT! I remember that. It was so messy!

The concept must have stuck with her :laughing: We'll see if she tries it long enough to assess it. At least Lou planted some seeds.

Anyway....looking forward to my wash minutes tomorrow!!! Yes... minutes..I still have a twa so my wash and gos only take a few minutes. Lol
Yes, wash minutes! :b72

Philosothot

Side Chick Du Jour
Reaction score
Reactions
38,238 174 119
Alleybux
Someone brought up a good point about why I may not like this regimen for my hair. It seems like it’s a better fit for people with low porosity hair which will hold the style longer. I have normal to high porosity hair and I find that my hair doesn’t “set” with mousse when my hair is wet. If I do a wet twist out with Mousse Def or any other mousse, my hair will not take on the twist pattern. It will look like a light hold wash and go. And the style won’t last more than 24 hours. Even with a wash and go with botanical gels, my hair will be defined but “greasy” looking. I personally need more hold and I don’t really see a difference between layering a leave in with a gel and using two gels to hold a style. Both achieve the same things.

rocket11

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,452 210 80
Alleybux
Someone brought up a good point about why I may not like this regimen for my hair. It seems like it’s a better fit for people with low porosity hair which will hold the style longer. I have normal to high porosity hair and I find that my hair doesn’t “set” with mousse when my hair is wet. If I do a wet twist out with Mousse Def or any other mousse, my hair will not take on the twist pattern. It will look like a light hold wash and go. And the style won’t last more than 24 hours. Even with a wash and go with botanical gels, my hair will be defined but “greasy” looking. I personally need more hold and I don’t really see a difference between layering a leave in with a gel and using two gels to hold a style. Both achieve the same things.
You don't have to do a wash and go or twist out

Philosothot

Side Chick Du Jour
Reaction score
Reactions
38,238 174 119
Alleybux
You don't have to do a wash and go or twist out

Those are the two styles that I have worn my hair in for the majority of my life. They are easy, they look beautiful on me and don’t cause me any problems. Not sure why I would change that to make products work when I can keep it and use products that do work for me.

Absoulove

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
580 4
Alleybux

I’ve heard Jennifer Rose say what you’re describing is typical with fine hair. Coarse hair takes the shape of styles like twist outs but fine hair doesn’t hold styles like those as well and usually get frizzy faster. For gel, I think she recommends diluting it with water to avoid the greasy effect. Or maybe that’s just for a softer hold, not completely sure..

I agree about the leave in conditioner. Leave in is generally a styler without hold, so it tends to give a softer feeling finish under gels. I personally think it’s fine to use leave ins under strong hold gels if it gives you the result you want and doesn’t cause buildup.

Stylists like iamblackgirlcurls will recommend the two gels for stronger hold and long lasting style (a botanical base gel like UFD which attracts water and then a topper gel for humidity resistance and extra hold).

Tacosandcrls

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
38,399 1,370 591
Alleybux

I'd say I'm normal to high porosity. Could just be its simply not to your liking for your hair type, texture, length, porosity, density, styling combinations.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,087 32 3
Alleybux
I’ve heard Jennifer Rose say what you’re describing is typical with fine hair. Coarse hair takes the shape of styles like twist outs but fine hair doesn’t hold styles like those as well and usually get frizzy faster. For gel, I think she recommends diluting it with water to avoid the greasy effect. Or maybe that’s just for a softer hold, not completely sure..

I agree about the leave in conditioner. Leave in is generally a styler without hold, so it tends to give a softer feeling finish under gels. I personally think it’s fine to use leave ins under strong hold gels if it gives you the result you want and doesn’t cause buildup.

Stylists like iamblackgirlcurls will recommend the two gels for stronger hold and long lasting style (a botanical base gel like UFD which attracts water and then a topper gel for humidity resistance and extra hold).
I think you're onto something.

@Philosothot Your hair's porosity likely has nothing to do with your styling results.

Jennifer Rose often talks about how texture impacts styling.

Black Girl Curls includes other characteristics which they call your hair's essential elements. They include:

• Texture (fine, medium, coarse)
  • Surface Texture (ranges from
    range from rough and crinkly to silky and glassy, to
    smooth and cottony)
  • Density (thin/low, medium/average, thick-dense/high)
  • Porosity
  • Elasticity
  • Curl Diameter
  • Hydration Level
  • Climate
  • Lifestyle
  • Water Quality
Your texture and surface texture might be the reason why your wash and go's look greasy. Sounds like you might have a silky surface texture and fine strands.

Styling wash and go's requires correct application, saturation, and distribution of the botanical gel, the right amount of water, and possibly a topper - all unique to your hair. It takes lots of practice and patience to figure out how to do all of that to get the results that you like, consistently.

This is where partnering with a stylist who specializes in tight curls is clutch. They'll teach you what all of that looks like for your hair. It sounds like if you nail your technique and application, you could achieve a beautiful wash and go in much less time than it takes to execute a twist out.

Philosothot

Side Chick Du Jour
Reaction score
Reactions
38,238 174 119
Alleybux

@Philosothot Your hair's porosity likely has nothing to do with your styling results.

Black Girl Curls includes other characteristics which they call your hair's essential elements. They include:

smooth and cottony)
  • Porosity
  • Elasticity
  • Curl Diameter
  • Hydration Level
  • Climate
  • Lifestyle
  • Water Quality
Your texture and surface texture might be the reason why your wash and go's look greasy. Sounds like you might have a silky surface texture and fine strands.

Styling wash and go's requires correct application, saturation, and distribution of the botanical gel, the right amount of water, and possibly a topper - all unique to your hair. It takes lots of practice and patience to figure out how to do all of that to get the results that you like, consistently.

This is where partnering with a stylist who specializes in tight curls is clutch. They'll teach you what all of that looks like for your hair. It sounds like if you nail your technique and application, you could achieve a beautiful wash and go in much less time than it takes to execute a twist out.

My hair is fine, high density, medium to high porosity pencil sized, smooth (satiny) curls.

I should have been more clear. I have already perfected my twist outs and wash and go’s and don’t have any hair issues that I’m trying to solve with a new regimen. My point is that why go through the trouble of adding more and changing techniques with products that don’t work for my hair when I’m essentially using the same technique with products that work for all the points above? I tried the products mentioned and know that I would have to do even more to make them work for my hair.

My stylists specialize in natural hair and I see them like 3-4 times a year depending on if I’m getting a cut or color. I maintain my hair myself.

ReinaDuNord

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
34,112 728 313
Alleybux

smooth and cottony)
  • Porosity
  • Elasticity
  • Curl Diameter
  • Hydration Level
  • Climate
  • Lifestyle
  • Water Quality

This is the kind of info that really needs spreading. People try to emulate others’ results based on product alone, when there are so many factors that come into play.

I have always lived in an area with hard water and used a chelating shampoo for the first time ever. as a super fine haired natural that has accepted frizz, I still have near full definition on day 3. Unheard of for me.

I live in MN and it’s pretty much only humid in the last half of July, August, and early September so super dry air, often.

I have low to medium low density so there are things my hair just cannot do.

Being “done” isn’ta priority for me and I’ve never styled my hair daily, not even while relaxed. (Eg low manipulation is my jam).

I’m in my 40s and I definitely do NOT have the same head of hair I had 10 or 20 years ago.

The squishing product in makes SO MUCH SENSE. The exposing the hair to more water in between shampoo and conditioner makes SO MUCH SENSE!

i just told my husband I’m putting a shampoo bowl in the basement so he can wash my hair! Lol!!!!!!

Teyana Breezy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
30,015 1,441 37
Alleybux
I tried to use one of my old gels to see if I could potentially not waste my money and to was such a fail I have to rewash and style all over again.

Does anyone know where I could sell/donate my unused stuff? I have so kany things I caught on flash sales that are now going to waste. Alot of the shelters around here are STILL not accepting donations

Reaction score
Reactions
3,087 32 3
Alleybux
This is the kind of info that really needs spreading. People try to emulate others’ results based on product alone, when there are so many factors that come into play.
Yes and based on curl diameter. So not relevant!

I have always lived in an area with hard water and used a chelating shampoo for the first time ever. as a super fine haired natural that has accepted frizz, I still have near full definition on day 3. Unheard of for me.
Yaaaaay!

I have low to medium low density so there are things my hair just cannot do.
Same! My strands are fine to medium and my density is low (maybe low to medium) and twistouts will never be in my future LOL! They look so pitiful. Black Girl Curls forced me to that realization. They said people like me need expanding styles, not condensing ones. So, wash and go's for life it is LOL! A great shape is a must for me, especially as I get more and more grey. I want to look put together and I want that to be easy.

I’m in my 40s and I definitely do NOT have the same head of hair I had 10 or 20 years ago.
SAME! Sigh...

i just told my husband I’m putting a shampoo bowl in the basement so he can wash my hair! Lol!!!!!!
I love it! :laughing:

Reaction score
Reactions
3,087 32 3
Alleybux
I tried to use one of my old gels to see if I could potentially not waste my money and to was such a fail I have to rewash and style all over again.

Does anyone know where I could sell/donate my unused stuff? I have so kany things I caught on flash sales that are now going to waste. Alot of the shelters around here are STILL not accepting donations
I have sent several boxes to Project Beauty Share.

Philosothot

Side Chick Du Jour
Reaction score
Reactions
38,238 174 119
Alleybux
I'd say I'm normal to high porosity. Could just be its simply not to your liking for your hair type, texture, length, porosity, density, styling combinations.

It’s more the products not the technique. I already wash 2-3x a week and have never disagreed with them on that point. The hair doesn’t look bad to others, it’s just not what I like my hair to look or feel like. I just prefer to coat my strands in products that will prevent my hair from wrapping around itself and help my styles last at least 3 days.

Ren80

Burn the cape and scatter the ashes.
Reaction score
Reactions
39,458 1,093 718
Alleybux
Yea I think the basics are to saturate the hair with water, wash weekly at least, condition, use just a few stylers depending on the style you want (leave in, botanical gel/custard, and or mousse.)

Get trims. Detangle. Go easy on the raw butters/oils. Go easy on the LOC method and excess products and routines (prepoo, acv, deep conditioning, hot oil, putting food on your hair....).
This is really all there is to it.

doing a flexirod set this evening because I haven’t done one in a while. Plans: shampoo and condition with Design Essentials, set with Nairobi. My goal times:
10 mins to shampoo/condition
15 mins to set (I’m an old pro at rods lol, I move fast)
45 mins to dry

AdoreMel

A Plain Jane thirsty for tea
Reaction score
Reactions
22,579 688 49
Alleybux

• Donate: Give your product to someone in need with organisations such as Toiletries Amnesty and The Hygiene Bank. Toiletries Amnesty allows you to donate your unused products and The Hygiene Bank offers the opportunity for your used and second-hand products to go towards individuals in need. Most charities work by dropping off your unwanted product at a selected location found on their website.
Transform the Failed Hair Products That Didn’t Work for You

I got this from an article when I was looking for a place or what to do to rid of my old products. I haven't donated to them (yet) but here's something to look into.

buffyuna

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
54,748 5,110 1,196
Alleybux
I agree with you on leave-ins. I can understand Jennifer Rose being against them since she only uses 1 styler, but BGC are quick to cocktail 3 gels on top of each other so it seemed hypocritical for them to tell naturals who use leave-ins that they were doing too much.

AdoreMel

A Plain Jane thirsty for tea
Reaction score
Reactions
22,579 688 49
Alleybux
I agree with you on leave-ins. I can understand Jennifer Rose being against them since she only uses 1 styler, but BGC are quick to cocktail 3 gels on top of each other so it seemed hypocritical for them to tell naturals who use leave-ins that they were doing too much.

I'm trying to remember if it was the BGC crew or someone else in their cut it kinky alum but I do recall someone saying the rare cases you can use leave-in (& a prepoo) if you're truly too busy & have gone long enough without washing. I remember this b/c at the time I hadn't done the detox yet but I was looking for a way to refresh my curls till my next wash day as I was about to reach the 2 weeks mark so to hear the tip it was kind of a game changer. I refreshed my 2 week old hair with water & leave in only instead of that old LOC method & my hair kind of thanked me for it. Anyways all this to say is yes it is hypocritical in a way for them to say naturals doing the most w/ leave-in (and prepoo) & tbh go head hold onto it as long as it ain't heavy on your head & it works. Shoot my old wrap foam worked better with a leave-in. And if the mousse def act the same way I'm going to apply leave in with it too

Reaction score
Reactions
3,087 32 3
Alleybux
I haven't heard them say it's too much. They've said that leave-ins decrease the efficacy of your styler. That's why a lot of people use them under gels for a softer hold. If you want a wash and go that lasts 7 days, I'd imagine you wouldn't want to decrease the amount of hold you get from the gel.

I'm trying to remember if it was the BGC crew or someone else in their cut it kinky alum but I do recall someone saying the rare cases you can use leave-in (& a prepoo) if you're truly too busy & have gone long enough without washing. I remember this b/c at the time I hadn't done the detox yet but I was looking for a way to refresh my curls till my next wash day as I was about to reach the 2 weeks mark so to hear the tip it was kind of a game changer. I refreshed my 2 week old hair with water & leave in only instead of that old LOC method & my hair kind of thanked me for it. Anyways all this to say is yes it is hypocritical in a way for them to say naturals doing the most w/ leave-in (and prepoo) & tbh go head hold onto it as long as it ain't heavy on your head & it works. Shoot my old wrap foam worked better with a leave-in. And if the mousse def act the same way I'm going to apply leave in with it too
They've said that if you've gone 2 weeks or so past your wash day, you may need to detangle first (prepoo). If you do, use a rinse out conditioner.

The goal is a simple routine with the least number of products and steps required to have hydrated hair that looks good after you style it, and lasts a week.

They recommend co-washing in between wash days if you need to, using a well formulated conditioner.
Does anyone know of a natrual hair stylist that does wash n gos like those ladies... but doesn't charge $250+????
I think that typically, the first appointment (for new clients) is more expensive. I think subsequent appointments are cheaper. I heard Angel (@earnestlynatural) say today that subsequent appointments are $150. I don't have an answer to your question though. Also, keep in mind that cuts are included and they often educate you during the appointment. Getting a good curly cut on tight curls is extremely valuable to me.

I can't remember who and on what page, but someone described their first appointment earlier.

buffyuna

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
54,748 5,110 1,196
Alleybux
I haven't heard them say it's too much. They've said that leave-ins decrease the efficacy of your styler. That's why a lot of people use them under gels for a softer hold. If you want a wash and go that lasts 7 days, I'd imagine you wouldn't want to decrease the amount of hold you get from the gel.

I think it was either on facebook live or instagram but I remember a viewer saying that they use leave in because it keeps the hair from feeling crunchy and they told her that she needs a better gel (botanical). While that may be the case, you could also throw it back at them and say that if you need a "topper" gel then your main gel ain't really gellin' lol.

Philosothot

Side Chick Du Jour
Reaction score
Reactions
38,238 174 119
Alleybux
I think it was either on facebook live or instagram but I remember a viewer saying that they use leave in because it keeps the hair from feeling crunchy and they told her that she needs a better gel (botanical). While that may be the case, you could also throw it back at them and say that if you need a "topper" gel then your main gel ain't really gellin' lol.

I agree! It just seems silly to me to be piling on that much gel just to avoid using a leave in that serves the same purpose lol.