New Zealand bans terror suspect's manifesto

funnywithfierce

You Tried It!
Reaction score
Reactions
191,702 35,800 1,142
Alleybux
NEWZEALAND-SHOOTOUT
According to CNN, "The possession and distribution of a manifesto believed to be written by the suspect behind the Christchurch mosque attack is now illegal in New Zealand, officials said.

The Office of Film and Literature Classification announced Saturday that the document is objectionable under the law.
The so-called "manifesto" of Brenton Tarrant, the 28-year-old Australian charged with the murders of 50 people, spans more than 80 pages and is filled with anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim screeds.

"There is an important distinction to be made between 'hate speech,' which may be rejected by many right-thinking people, but which is legal to express, and this type of publication, which is deliberately constructed to inspire further murder and terrorism," said New Zealand's Chief Censor David Shanks.

"It crosses the line."
The document was posted on social media and was sent to the office of Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern just before the shooting began.
On Thursday, Shanks called on the public to delete any copies, as well as online posts or links to the document. People can also report any social media posts, links or websites.

"New Zealanders can all play a part in denying those who exhort hatred, killing and terror," Shanks said. "Do not support the murderous objectives of its author by republishing or distributing it."
Earlier this week, authorities banned footage of the fatal shootings, including edited clips and still images."

Source: Christchurch shootings: New Zealand bans suspect's manifesto - CNN

satanslover

Alfie From The Block
Reaction score
Reactions
191,235 19,980 5,969
Alleybux
yea ... it's weird like they are going to deny this happened in a few years. censoring ... it's cute until its not. stay woke

Well mein kampf was banned in Germany for years until recently

So it makes sense

I doubt they will ever deny it, it’s not like it was even their own citizen, it was an Australia

If anything I would build a wall lol jk

At least make security more strict for visitors

Shiiiiet

Kayla, Michelle, Tinasha, Miriam, Sandra, Marielle
Reaction score
Reactions
142,946 5,552 5,393
Alleybux
I don't know why they release these terroist manifestos anyway. Certain information should not be released to other potential maniacs. It's propaganda.

Shiiiiet

Kayla, Michelle, Tinasha, Miriam, Sandra, Marielle
Reaction score
Reactions
142,946 5,552 5,393
Alleybux
yea ... it's weird like they are going to deny this happened in a few years. censoring ... it's cute until its not. stay woke
It's anti muslim propaganda though. It should not be floating around.

Maelin

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
122,051 20,789 366
Alleybux
I don't know why they release these terroist manifestos anyway. Certain information should not be released to other potential maniacs. It's propaganda.

This guy released it himself before he committed the massacre.

Hexa

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
105,757 6,634 2,563
Alleybux
Well mein kampf was banned in Germany for years until recently

So it makes sense

I doubt they will ever deny it, it’s not like it was even their own citizen, it was an Australia

If anything I would build a wall lol jk

At least make security more strict for visitors
The Germans didn't unban Mein Kampf because they no longer consider it dangerous, but because its expired copyright made the ban on the physical book pointless. They couldn't stop people from reading it because it's on the internet and they can't police servers outside their borders. Every German had access to Mein Kampf on the internet despite it being banned. Plus other countries allowed its publication, so copies were getting into Germany regardless. It subsequently became a bestseller.

The same is true for New Zealand. Once the internet came along, bans on information became meaningless.