Newly Adopted Cat Hiding Under Bed

Reactions
20,771 561 558
Alleybux
yup, she has her rabies shot and another one I can’t remember the name. It’s long. I have her medical documents - she saw the vet recently, she’s healthy.

Lots of progress made today! I moved her bed to the living room last night and I woke up to her behind some boxes this morning. She ate as well and drank water. She spent the day laying in her tent, sizing me up while I worked from home. She then gave in and felt safe enough to actually sleep for a few hours lol.

About an hour after she woke up, she slowly crept out of the tent... I didn’t even look at her. Even eye contact makes her jump. She learned where her litter box is (I heard her plop in there and dig), and that she can use the ottoman to climb on the sill and look out the window.

she’s currently walking around the living room :)
You should still try and get a few slow eye contacts if you can every now and then. Just slow and gentle but not staring. Don't accidentally yawn while doing it.

A slow blink is a bonding signal.

Reactions
14,525 260 52
Alleybux
You should still try and get a few slow eye contacts if you can every now and then. Just slow and gentle but not staring. Don't accidentally yawn while doing it.

A slow blink is a bonding signal.

I have - been binge watching Jackson Galaxy since Saturday and learned how to do it. She definitely slow blinks back at me, which warms my heart.

Reactions
10,462 112 103
Alleybux
I adopted a cat yesterday (3-5 years old). I’m getting a little worried because she hasn’t come out from under the bed since yesterday. I put her food, water, and litter box in my room and slept on the couch so she feels safe, but when I went to check on her this morning, I saw that she hasn’t touched her food or used the litter box, and she is still under the bed.

I tried leaving treats around so she has something to nibble on, but she is too terrified to eat. Should I be concerned? Will she eat and drink on her own?

EDIT: update on post #43
When they are a little older they do that bc they are scared and trying to get comfortable. They will come out when they sense they are alone and will eat on their own just keep changing the liter. My Calico did that for 30 days then all of a sudden I was kneeling down one day and the cat came to me.

Reactions
10,462 112 103
Alleybux
Well this is my first pet and my concern is more about whether she will eat on her own, not really about her hiding.

yes she has her own bed that turns into a cave. She doesn’t know yet because she hasn’t left under the bed. I’ve made some progress... talked to her for a good while this morning and she ate a piece of food that I rolled under for her.
She may not use that bed and may prefer to stay under the bed. After four years mine still does that. Don’t take it personally.

Reactions
32,555 1,014 103
Alleybux
Okay my cat is cray cray. Had him since his mom birthed him, dude still acts likes we are strangers. He only interacts with me at night when I'm sleep he will cuddle up to my legs, the first movement I make and he is GONE but I love him. I am sure your cat will be amazing.

Reactions
2,314 3 2
Alleybux
Cats are definitely like that. I had a cat I rescued who hid in the bathroom and cried for 3 nights straight. When she finally came out, she got on the bed with the other cat we had, played with her a little bit, then came next to me laid down and stared. Then she let me pet her. After that we were cool.

Reactions
40,100 707 357
Alleybux
I adopted two 3 month old brothers in Jan and they made themselves right at home the first night. My apartment looks like I brought a few pieces of furniture to THEIR house.

Reactions
3,517 192 120
Alleybux
I got a kitten at 6 weeks old. Hes 14 months today. I made sure the breeder knew the birthday. But mane he was like that. Now he in here getting on my nerves demanding his way. You want him?

Grifting in Montecito
Reactions
54,546 3,492 258
Alleybux
Don’t be surprised or mad if it chews/rips up a hole in the fabric underneath your box spring! My cat is the same and has made herself a hammock under every bed in the house. It’s her hiding place when strangers come over and she’ll hide in there for hours.

She was the same, a stray kitten before being put up for adoption at the shelter and would hide for hours, she warmed up and she bonded with me more than my husband for cuddling (she meows like crazy until I lay on my side and she’ll “knead dough” on my hip) but she’ll still hide for hours if we have a visitor. Coming out for food and using the litter box when it feels safe is a great sign that kitty is warming up. Just be super watchful with doors and windows, there’s a big risk it might try to escape in the first three months

Grifting in Montecito
Reactions
54,546 3,492 258
Alleybux
Lol! I try to get the vacuum up under there.
No vacuuming for a while now with a scared new kitty in the house!
1617802552842.jpeg

LSA's full-raised, well-raised bastid
Reactions
65,585 3,607 3,542
Alleybux
Your cat is funny as fuk, because I'm captioning that expression as *wait for it bitch* :laugh

That said, you don't need to have her food, water and liter box in your room. Put them somewhere else, and you definitely don't have to have her litter box in close proximity to her food.

Glad to read the update in post #43 I think it was.

@3xquisit3

Last edited:
Grifting in Montecito
Reactions
54,546 3,492 258
Alleybux
Totally normal for a cat! A lot of them are sensitive to changes in their environment (life at shelters can be stressful, or even foster homes) and chances are she was moved between a couple of facilities or locations before you adopted her. Some cats need more time to adjust than others do.

Like others have said, sit in there with her and let her know you're there but don't encroach on her space. Let her come to you. Hang out in there with your phone/tablet/laptop etc. and let her get used to your smell and the sound of your voice. Maybe put on some wildlife videos for her on YouTube on one of your devices and place it where she can see (they have 8 hour ones), cats love to watch those and it'll give her something to focus on other than where she is. You can also leave things that smell like you in there when you aren't in there. There's a product called Feliway that helps calm cats down (recommended by my vet and can attest that it works). They have a spray and a plug in diffuser that you can purchase from PetSmart, Petco and Amazon. Try playing with her with things like shoelaces, feathers attached to wands/sticks, etc. Basically anything that allows you to keep some distance from her but still interact, it'll help her build trust and confidence. Treats also don't hurt either! Good luck and keep us posted :cat
Yes! They play this on the TVs at our vet’s office to distract stressed cats and my cats love this isht

Reactions
617 14 7
Alleybux
I have a 11 month kitten who is 20lbs and a little over 3 feet long. He hid under the bed for the first 2 days I got him, but now he likes to follow me around and sleep on the bed.

Reactions
Alleybux
I just adopted a year old cat who was a feral for my 4 yr old daughter. First hour in the house she was sitting on the couch with my guests lol. I was all prepared for keeping her in the bathroom for weeks.

Reactions
3,517 192 120
Alleybux
I have - been binge watching Jackson Galaxy since Saturday and learned how to do it. She definitely slow blinks back at me, which warms my heart.

Omg wit my cat we used to slwo blink at each other all the time. I moved in my Aunts house and taught my aunt the trick. Now he wont slow blink at me anymore. And hes deathly afraid of her. You guys thi k she did something to him? I keep asking her and she says no.

Reactions
153 11 34
Alleybux
I have a 11 month kitten who is 20lbs and a little over 3 feet long. He hid under the bed for the first 2 days I got him, but now he likes to follow me around and sleep on the bed.
Is this a tiger kitten lol? How is it so big?

ColdWinter
Reactions
30,951 409 207
Alleybux
Aw. She's just scared! Imagine if one day you just woke up in some random person's house and they were trying to give you food. You'd be terrified. My kitty was the same way when I got him at 8 months. We had to start him off in a smaller room so that we would be able to find him. Even then, he managed to find a small crawlspace to hide in! It took a few days for him to eat. Just give her some time.

Celebrity News

Ask LSA

The Lounge

Recent Posts

The Henry Cavill Appreciation & (Former) Harem Meet-up Thread (Part 6)
I would love to know how long all of you think we’re going to be suffering through all this before the Breakup tbh my guess: we still have 6 or 7...
Dionne Warrick says Mariah , Brandy, Mary J and Toni are not icons
If that's true, then Aretha wasn't an icon. Dionne has had: -60 years in the business -69 charted singles on the hot 100 (she's also charted on...
Twitter says Chicago Mayor is having an affair on her wife and considering resignation
@ExquisiteMelanin @420Zelle @Dior Addict get in here and see this mess smh
Joe Budden: I'll Name This Podcast Later
I'm only three episodes in but it's pretty good, I give it like a 7 Hmmm.. high value show? I'll check it out
Is Nene going to Zeus Network?
maybe it was Nene’s behaviour which caused her to be dropped from NBC universal? Can’t blame the network for her acting out constantly. It was...
  • Poll
Meghan Markle unpopular opinions thread pt 2
Am I the only one who thinks the DOC was excessive with her use of jewelry at the funeral ? All the 3 Princesses in attendance were completely...
Did anyone actually grow their hair with fermented rice water?
People need to use glutinous rice instead of rice from the shop. That's where people go wrong
Inner thoughts about being “feminine”, patriarchy, and what it means to me as a black woman
OP, please look up myo inositol on Amazon. Look at the thousands of reviews and pictures. Please!!! Get back to me and tell me what you think.
Top Bottom