Newly Adopted Cat Hiding Under Bed

3xquisit3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,111 590 83
Alleybux
Wonderful!

Do get her a cat tree. They love being up high and it gives her something other than furniture to sharpen claws on. They also make little perches that attach to window sills.

funny you say that, I just finished building her tree

Brucilla

Team Owner
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
261,887 4,359 3,302
Alleybux
Both my kittens took over the place like gangbusters when they first got home, but Moses, my older one has been terrified of strangers since he turned about 9 months old.

People who visited always thought we had one cat because he would hide away and not eat, drink, etc until they left.

A few months ago I decided to use one of those "calming" herbal cat treats to see if would help, and it actually did!! My father came over for Easter and Moses came right out and sat with the family. I was shocked.

Give your furbaby time and space to adjust, but if the skittishness persists, give this a shot:

1617739677789.png

Andi420

Slava Ukraini! Putin’s Biggest Hater!!
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
51,966 4,903 6,268
Alleybux
Put the food underneath with them or on the outside. He’ll come out when he’s ready. My first sweet kitten hid for a week. And he would only come out to eat and he eventually came out.

ramenmama

PRINCESS @MÈAMIDALA
Reaction score
Reactions
9,254 202 120
Alleybux
This is so damn cute i hope u keep us updated and you and the cat bond..
and now id like to take this time to complain about my own asshole of a cat. ive been looking for her for 3 days and i just caught a glimpse of her black ass in the basement dusty as hell with cobwebs hanging on her tail. she better not let me catch her cuz ima clown her real bad

Rlyn83

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
660 17 3
Alleybux
I adopted a cat yesterday (3-5 years old). I’m getting a little worried because she hasn’t come out from under the bed since yesterday. I put her food, water, and litter box in my room and slept on the couch so she feels safe, but when I went to check on her this morning, I saw that she hasn’t touched her food or used the litter box, and she is still under the bed.

I tried leaving treats around so she has something to nibble on, but she is too terrified to eat. Should I be concerned? Will she eat and drink on her own?

EDIT: update on post #43
Yes - this is totally normal. You'll have a couple of weeks when you may even think the cat ran away because you won't be able to find her. Happens every time unless they are literally a tiny kitten (even happens then). After a few weeks she'll be hanging around more, and then after a couple of months, you'll be besties!

DominaHW

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
441,198 9,377 4,422
Alleybux
Jackson Galaxy's videos are super helpful for cats in general, so +1 to the people recommending him. I binged a ton of his videos right before I got my cat.

OP, it sounds like your cat is adjusting which is normal. Just make sure to keep her food and litter box close by because it's not good for cats to go too long without peeing, pooping, or eating. She's older which is good (kittens have less leeway with not using the litterbox or eating), but make it so that she has easy access to her food and litter so she can get to them quickly and get away if she wants to hide for a little longer.

Cats are very sensitive to change and very self-protective so it'll probably take her a few days or longer to adjust. She just needs to have space to herself for the time being and minimal intrusions, loud noises, people coming in and out, etc.

Sweetheartbaby

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
8,638 1,016 921
Alleybux
OP, please give us more updates if you would like, as they happen. I can't wait until the day she snuggles up to you in bed, or crawls onto your lap :)

Reesey123

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
617 2
Alleybux
Aww, thank you for adopting this precious kitty, OP! She is so pretty!

I have 3 girls in the house, and 5 additional kitties in my garage which I am fostering (four of which are my newest kitty's babies, which she managed to hide from me for like three months). And while I was trying to trap the remaining sibling to be fixed, this random white and orange girl (who I've never laid eyes on) wanders into the thing! She's actually about the size of one of the ~6 month old male kittens (so probably very young), wasn't fixed, and pretty bony.

So now I have a gaggle of crazy cats, learning to trust and play and what it's like to be petted. And with a total of 8 rescues, my misanthropy has reached a whole new level and I was starting to get bitter and angry. Can no one in this stupid area I live in actually manage to do the bare minimum in caring for their pets?! So I am just beyond happy to see someone do the right thing for a change, and to hear so many stories from other fonts who have done the same! Seriously, this thread has helped drag me out of a rough mindset, and I thank you all!

As everyone has so helpfully pointed out: yes, it's normal for cats to hide like this. Just moving to our new house had our senior cat going wild for a few days. She couldn't get comfy and was just leaping from window to window or hiding under the bed. Plus, it was really hard for her because she now cannot go outside. The road in front of our new house is too busy, and there are way too many other animals around which could either hurt her or distract her into running off. But she adjusted pretty quick, even when a mere two months later she got her first ever sister (a pitifully thin, precious, silver mackerel tabby, who is now 5 years old and still weighs only about 6 pounds, and yet is wild and fearless as can be). It really does help to talk to them, get down on their level (this seems to help with so many skittish animals), and just be patient. Before long your kitty will be exploring and playing and being her little, goofy, carefree self.

Again, I just have to thank you all for adopting and fostering these sweet things! People like you all literally make the world a better place. And I honestly believe that you're fulfilling one of our true purposes as human beings: to be a caretaker, of this huge gift of a habitable planet, and all the things that live on it. I mean, there's a reason Jesus is so often depicted holding lambs, and it isn't just symbolic! In fact, this whole thread and all the stories in it are the perfect response to the old "what would Jesus do?" question! I also truly believe with all my heart that we will see the pets we've lost again one day, if we are lucky enough to make it into the Heaven they surely live in. And I'm just going to say it: a bunch of you are already well on your way and have a spot reserved especially for you, judging by the replies here!
You are amazing! Thank you for doing what you do. All of my cats, past and present, were rescues. It does take its toll on me mentally to think of all the animal neglect etc that causes these situations but to know we saved them (or I should say, they've saved us) is the greatest blessing.

And OP, bless you and your kitty!! Thank you as well for being #teamcatrescue

VeryEasy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
22,108 658 587
Alleybux
yup, she has her rabies shot and another one I can’t remember the name. It’s long. I have her medical documents - she saw the vet recently, she’s healthy.

Lots of progress made today! I moved her bed to the living room last night and I woke up to her behind some boxes this morning. She ate as well and drank water. She spent the day laying in her tent, sizing me up while I worked from home. She then gave in and felt safe enough to actually sleep for a few hours lol.

About an hour after she woke up, she slowly crept out of the tent... I didn’t even look at her. Even eye contact makes her jump. She learned where her litter box is (I heard her plop in there and dig), and that she can use the ottoman to climb on the sill and look out the window.

she’s currently walking around the living room :)
You should still try and get a few slow eye contacts if you can every now and then. Just slow and gentle but not staring. Don't accidentally yawn while doing it.

A slow blink is a bonding signal.

3xquisit3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,111 590 83
Alleybux
You should still try and get a few slow eye contacts if you can every now and then. Just slow and gentle but not staring. Don't accidentally yawn while doing it.

A slow blink is a bonding signal.

I have - been binge watching Jackson Galaxy since Saturday and learned how to do it. She definitely slow blinks back at me, which warms my heart.

Thaguru

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,808 1,648 752
Alleybux
I adopted a cat yesterday (3-5 years old). I’m getting a little worried because she hasn’t come out from under the bed since yesterday. I put her food, water, and litter box in my room and slept on the couch so she feels safe, but when I went to check on her this morning, I saw that she hasn’t touched her food or used the litter box, and she is still under the bed.

I tried leaving treats around so she has something to nibble on, but she is too terrified to eat. Should I be concerned? Will she eat and drink on her own?

EDIT: update on post #43
When they are a little older they do that bc they are scared and trying to get comfortable. They will come out when they sense they are alone and will eat on their own just keep changing the liter. My Calico did that for 30 days then all of a sudden I was kneeling down one day and the cat came to me.

Thaguru

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,808 1,648 752
Alleybux
Well this is my first pet and my concern is more about whether she will eat on her own, not really about her hiding.

yes she has her own bed that turns into a cave. She doesn’t know yet because she hasn’t left under the bed. I’ve made some progress... talked to her for a good while this morning and she ate a piece of food that I rolled under for her.
She may not use that bed and may prefer to stay under the bed. After four years mine still does that. Don’t take it personally.

ThatChic704

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
62,399 2,459 174
Alleybux
Okay my cat is cray cray. Had him since his mom birthed him, dude still acts likes we are strangers. He only interacts with me at night when I'm sleep he will cuddle up to my legs, the first movement I make and he is GONE but I love him. I am sure your cat will be amazing.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,678 91 51
Alleybux
Cats are definitely like that. I had a cat I rescued who hid in the bathroom and cried for 3 nights straight. When she finally came out, she got on the bed with the other cat we had, played with her a little bit, then came next to me laid down and stared. Then she let me pet her. After that we were cool.

Juelz

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
77,154 2,238 823
Alleybux
I adopted two 3 month old brothers in Jan and they made themselves right at home the first night. My apartment looks like I brought a few pieces of furniture to THEIR house.

Darkmelodies

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,675 701 569
Alleybux
I got a kitten at 6 weeks old. Hes 14 months today. I made sure the breeder knew the birthday. But mane he was like that. Now he in here getting on my nerves demanding his way. You want him?

Sandragee

Grifting in Montecito
Reaction score
Reactions
63,664 4,229 464
Alleybux
Don’t be surprised or mad if it chews/rips up a hole in the fabric underneath your box spring! My cat is the same and has made herself a hammock under every bed in the house. It’s her hiding place when strangers come over and she’ll hide in there for hours.

She was the same, a stray kitten before being put up for adoption at the shelter and would hide for hours, she warmed up and she bonded with me more than my husband for cuddling (she meows like crazy until I lay on my side and she’ll “knead dough” on my hip) but she’ll still hide for hours if we have a visitor. Coming out for food and using the litter box when it feels safe is a great sign that kitty is warming up. Just be super watchful with doors and windows, there’s a big risk it might try to escape in the first three months

Rhett

LSA's full-raised well-raised bastid is TransLion
Reaction score
Reactions
89,581 6,201 5,147
Alleybux
Your cat is funny as fuk, because I'm captioning that expression as *wait for it b!tch* :laugh

That said, you don't need to have her food, water and liter box in your room. Put them somewhere else, and you definitely don't have to have her litter box in close proximity to her food.

Glad to read the update in post #43 I think it was.

@3xquisit3

Last edited:

Sandragee

Grifting in Montecito
Reaction score
Reactions
63,664 4,229 464
Alleybux
Totally normal for a cat! A lot of them are sensitive to changes in their environment (life at shelters can be stressful, or even foster homes) and chances are she was moved between a couple of facilities or locations before you adopted her. Some cats need more time to adjust than others do.

Like others have said, sit in there with her and let her know you're there but don't encroach on her space. Let her come to you. Hang out in there with your phone/tablet/laptop etc. and let her get used to your smell and the sound of your voice. Maybe put on some wildlife videos for her on YouTube on one of your devices and place it where she can see (they have 8 hour ones), cats love to watch those and it'll give her something to focus on other than where she is. You can also leave things that smell like you in there when you aren't in there. There's a product called Feliway that helps calm cats down (recommended by my vet and can attest that it works). They have a spray and a plug in diffuser that you can purchase from PetSmart, Petco and Amazon. Try playing with her with things like shoelaces, feathers attached to wands/sticks, etc. Basically anything that allows you to keep some distance from her but still interact, it'll help her build trust and confidence. Treats also don't hurt either! Good luck and keep us posted :cat
Yes! They play this on the TVs at our vet’s office to distract stressed cats and my cats love this isht

JoJo9

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
801 46 40
Alleybux
I have a 11 month kitten who is 20lbs and a little over 3 feet long. He hid under the bed for the first 2 days I got him, but now he likes to follow me around and sleep on the bed.

ShadeOfEbony

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
736 27 2
Alleybux
I just adopted a year old cat who was a feral for my 4 yr old daughter. First hour in the house she was sitting on the couch with my guests lol. I was all prepared for keeping her in the bathroom for weeks.

Darkmelodies

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,675 701 569
Alleybux
I have - been binge watching Jackson Galaxy since Saturday and learned how to do it. She definitely slow blinks back at me, which warms my heart.

Omg wit my cat we used to slwo blink at each other all the time. I moved in my Aunts house and taught my aunt the trick. Now he wont slow blink at me anymore. And hes deathly afraid of her. You guys thi k she did something to him? I keep asking her and she says no.

pupu

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,718 111 88
Alleybux
I have a 11 month kitten who is 20lbs and a little over 3 feet long. He hid under the bed for the first 2 days I got him, but now he likes to follow me around and sleep on the bed.
Is this a tiger kitten lol? How is it so big?

Valhalla

ColdWinter
Reaction score
Reactions
50,495 1,396 422
Alleybux
Aw. She's just scared! Imagine if one day you just woke up in some random person's house and they were trying to give you food. You'd be terrified. My kitty was the same way when I got him at 8 months. We had to start him off in a smaller room so that we would be able to find him. Even then, he managed to find a small crawlspace to hide in! It took a few days for him to eat. Just give her some time.

3xquisit3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,111 590 83
Alleybux
Hi everyone,
Thought I’d give an update as I have had my cat for almost a month, now. She naps intermittently all day in her bed until about 9PM when she decides to come out and eat. She is still quite jumpy, and her pupils are almost always dilated. If I get up while she is eating, or even if I cough, she will run back to her bed.

I finally got around to removing the boxes that she has been hiding behind, as well as making sure she can’t get under the couch. I think she may have PTSD. I am giving her space but also spending my day in the same room as her (even though she’s napping) so she gets used to my presence.

She’s now more reactive to laser and wire toys. She really likes wire toys as she raises her paws to touch them, and her eyes dart back and forth when I move them around. Just by reading her body language, I can tell she does not trust me and I know I will have to work very hard to gain her trust.

ETA: forgot to add the she has a serious case of the zoomies between 12 and 5AM, every day lol. She has been enjoying her tree and she waits until the coast is clear to roam.

Last edited:

Alvsgirly2

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
11,107 639 291
Alleybux
Hi everyone,
Thought I’d give an update as I have had my cat for almost a month, now. Over the last few weeks, she naps intermittently all day in her bed until about 9PM when she decides to come out and eat. She is still quite jumpy, and her pupils are almost always dilated. If I decide to get up while she is eating, or even if I cough, she will run back to her bed.

I finally got around to removing the boxes that she has been hiding behind, as well as making sure she can’t get under the couch. I think she may have PTSD. I am giving her space but also spending my day in the same room as her (even though she’s napping) so she gets used to my presence.

She has been more reactive to laser and wire toys. She really likes wire toys as she raises her paws to touch them, and her eyes dart back and forth when I move them around. Just by reading her body language, she does not trust me and I know I will have to work very hard to gain her trust.
A year ago, my mother adopted a one year old cat from a rescue. They told my mother she was found outside, someone took her in but their dog nipped at her and then was brought to the rescue. Needless to say, she was traumatized when my mother brought her home. She would run anyone we would stand up and walk to another room. She hid all the time and would run away from my mother. I told her to be patient, that it would take her time to feel safe and comfortable. It took about 7 months, but now she cuddles with my mother, will sit and purr, and play with her toys. She also comes to sit with me and let me pick her up and purr when I see her. She is the sweetest cat. My biggest piece of advice is to be patient with your baby. Keep doing what your doing. It will take time, but she will eventually learn she can trust you. It will be worth it....cats really are special!

3xquisit3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,111 590 83
Alleybux
A year ago, my mother adopted a one year old cat from a rescue. They told my mother she was found outside, someone took her in but their dog nipped at her and then was brought to the rescue. Needless to say, she was traumatized when my mother brought her home. She would run anyone we would stand up and walk to another room. She hid all the time and would run away from my mother. I told her to be patient, that it would take her time to feel safe and comfortable. It took about 7 months, but now she cuddles with my mother, will sit and purr, and play with her toys. She also comes to sit with me and let me pick her up and purr when I see her. She is the sweetest cat. My biggest piece of advice is to be patient with your baby. Keep doing what your doing. It will take time, but she will eventually learn she can trust you. It will be worth it....cats really are special!

thanks for this, this really gives me hope!

Reaction score
Reactions
5,502 76 14
Alleybux
Awww she looks like a sweetie. It sounds like she's adjusting just fine.

It's always taken a few months for my cats to get settled. The only exception was Babs. Babs just passed away at 19 last month. I'll never forget the day we met. I'd gone to Petland for the good cat food since my neighborhood only had FancyFeast and Friskies. The local rescue's had a setup in front of the store with a bunch of kittens, but I ignored it because I've never been into kittens. They too crazy.

So I'm walking out the store and this black kitten dashes to the side of her cage. Starts meowing like crazy. I'm like "Oh no you don't. G doesn't like other cats and she won't like you." I head off towards the train. I swear I can hear her meowing a block away so I turn back. As soon as I come back to her cage she stops meowing and just sits there with a "You forgot me, mommy" look on her face. Welp. That was it. I told the rescue lady to keep her for me while I went back home to get a cat carrier and some cash for the adoption fee.

Brought her home and I was scared G would eat her. G didn't really care. She sniffed around the carrier for a few minutes when I got home, then went back to her spot on the couch. Meanwhile, Babs never needed adjustment time. She was up under me 24/7 for the next ten years. Even after I had to give her away to my bestie, she would always come sit by me when I came to visit. Between me and M, she had an awesome life and while I love our current Furbeast very much, Babs will always be special because she picked me.

Justalook

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,386 309 103
Alleybux
aww. I think she's kind of cat that you have actively work with, and not ignore and hope that she comes around.

3xquisit3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,111 590 83
Alleybux
Bumping my thread - I have a question regarding nail trimming. My cat hasn’t fully adjusted, so I’m not able to clip her nails as of yet. The last time she got her nails clipped was a month and a half ago - they’re starting to get caught in things now. Can it wait until she gets more comfortable with me, or do I need to bring her to the groomers? I would have to force her into her carrier, and I’m afraid I’ll lose her trust. She does have scratching posts.

freckledbruh

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
240,514 5,717 3,374
Alleybux
Bumping my thread - I have a question regarding nail trimming. My cat hasn’t fully adjusted, so I’m not able to clip her nails as of yet. The last time she got her nails clipped was a month and a half ago - they’re starting to get caught in things now. Can it wait until she gets more comfortable with me, or do I need to bring her to the groomers? I would have to force her into her carrier, and I’m afraid I’ll lose her trust. She does have scratching posts.
If she’s not destroying your furniture, you can wait a bit. If y’all have cuddle sessions, try to just handle her paws a bit and push her paw pads some (if she will let you) so that she gets used to you handling her paws outside of clipping them. It’ll make it easier if you’re going to do it yourself.

3xquisit3

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
23,111 590 83
Alleybux
If she’s not destroying your furniture, you can wait a bit. If y’all have cuddle sessions, try to just handle her paws a bit and push her paw pads some (if she will let you) so that she gets used to you handling her paws outside of clipping them. It’ll make it easier if you’re going to do it yourself.
Thank you! She’s been allowing me to pet her since last week, but she will not let me hold her yet. And I have been gently petting/pushing her paws - sometimes she allows me (especially when she’s distracted by salmon wet food), other times she jolts her head at my hand as if she wants to bite me, but she doesn’t.

Im just wondering if it’s annoying to her for her claws to keep getting caught in the rug and on her bed. I notice she has been scratching way more since they’ve grown, and they’re sharp as hell.