NYC Black Fashionista Drama/Tea?

General Manager
Reactions
3,316 46 2
Alleybux
Anyone else following any of the NYC black fashionista crowd? They're all on IG and have successful careers in fashion/journalism

Shiona Turni
The Presc0d sisters
KeIa WaIker
KahIana Barfield
N!kki Ogunna!ke
Rajni
and others

Amanda (londong!rlinnyc) is a buyer/stylist for a high-end department store and has been making comments about a well know influencer copying her style for a few months, I just assumed it was some random white influencer that I don't follow but she finally decided to name names and it's Kahlana, InStyle editor.

IMG_2383.PNG

IMG_2384.PNG

IMG_2386.png

IMG_2387.png

IMG_2385.PNG
IMG_2388.PNG
View attachment 286514

Attachments

• IMG_2390.PNG
    IMG_2390.PNG
    937.5 KB · Views: 1,387
  • IMG_2392.PNG
    IMG_2392.PNG
    860.3 KB · Views: 1,319
Last edited:
everyone loves me
Reactions
169,884 2,835 769
Alleybux
Lol I'm here for this.
In all honesty if someone was biting my style I would feel a bit aggravated but what she has to remember is that as long it's coming from her essence, those who copy can only try but it will never come off as great as it does on her.

I honestly get what shes coming from. For some people their style is a huge and sig. part of their identity. It's very personal so when people copy it's annoying.

Reactions
1,369 55 63
Alleybux
Hmm. This looks bad because Khalana’s outfits and even her poses in some photos are very similar... I’ve never really understood being mad at copy cats. They can never do you like you can do you. ‍♀️

Team Owner
Reactions
52,672 815 200
Alleybux
People outside of fashion might not understand this, but for people in fashion we can understand why she is upset. For a lot of people in fashion what they wear is their business card, their reputation, how they get work, their calling card, their expression of themselves. People have literally gotten work or built a career off of what their wore. With her being a stylist, her looks are like a living resume. Also a lot of people in fashion come from families and areas where they can't express themselves, so their outfit is their form of self expression.

General Manager
Reactions
55,927 671 170
Alleybux
Wow. I would definitely feel some type of way, if someone was plagiarising my style. They say imitation is the best form of flattery and that's a lie. Admire someone's style, be inspired by it, but don't copy. Be you. Be unique.

everyone loves me
Reactions
169,884 2,835 769
Alleybux
People outside of fashion might not understand this, but for people in fashion we can understand why she is upset. For a lot of people in fashion what they wear is their business card, their reputation, how they get work, their calling card, their expression of themselves. People have literally gotten work or built a career off of what their wore. With her being a stylist, her looks are like a living resume. Also a lot of people in fashion come from families and areas where they can't express themselves, so their outfit is their form of self expression.

True. You can see how much it means to her just going by what she said in her stories.

General Manager
Reactions
36,091 743 596
Alleybux
Yeah I get she sounds extra but I genuinely relate to everything she said. Like I’m That Girl wearing bold outfits in real life too, and I’ve been doing it since I was like 12, not everybody is doing it for insta. I learned how to sew at 9, like this is everything to me and I really can understand how it seems she’s just doing too much but fashion is an art form. I think if this was paintings everyone would be able to understand why the OG artist would be angry if they’re creating unique pieces that speak from their own life and creativity to turn around and see someone else recreate it AND get more acclaim from it.

Team Owner
Reactions
52,672 815 200
Alleybux
Yeah I get she sounds extra but I genuinely relate to everything she said. Like I’m That Girl wearing bold outfits in real life too, and I’ve been doing it since I was like 12, not everybody is doing it for insta. I learned how to sew at 9, like this is everything to me and I really can understand how it seems she’s just doing too much but fashion is an art form. I think if this was paintings everyone would be able to understand why the OG artist would be angry if they’re creating unique pieces that speak from their own life and creativity to turn around and see someone else recreate it AND get more acclaim from it.
I agree, and the fact that the other woman is so persistent with it is just weird. Like you got blocked, why do you keep doing this. The industry is small. Word gets around.

General Manager
Reactions
45,103 721 146
Alleybux
This drama is blowing up in the black fashion blogger world with Kahlana. She will be fine though.

Also, why did IG delete fashion bomb account. Good thing she has an actual website, but i wonder what happened?

General Manager
Reactions
17,876 446 170
Alleybux
I think beylite is also deleted.

Why do you think Kahlana will be fine? I cant look at her the same. I thought she was authentic. Everything she says after this is taken with a grain of salt

General Manager
Reactions
45,103 721 146
Alleybux
I think beylite is also deleted.

Why do you think Kahlana will be fine? I cant look at her the same. I thought she was authentic. Everything she says after this is taken with a grain of salt

In my opinion, She's still huge in the mainstream fashion world and can probably come up with some believable excuses as to why this happened.

Reactions
4,476 76 35
Alleybux
I can see how easily this can happen. I think Kahlana IS jacking Amanda's style and K probably feels like she can get away with it because of who she is, her following, etc.

K has always had unique style, even as an undergrad at Howard, so using someone as inspiration (Amanda) who also has unique/impeccable style is not surprising...

General Manager
Reactions
7,189 83 4
Alleybux
I saw this and I definitely felt sad for Amanda because she truly does have a unique sense of style, and you can sense the passion from her photos. While I understand that people can be inspired by other people's style, I do not think that this incident is a coincidence. Unfortunately, Kahlana does look somewhat shady for this because if she was inspired by her style why not celebrate her or contact her on IG/phone, instead of going through different people to figure out what she was wearing and cutting her head off of her photographs in the process. Like I said, I don't think that it is an issue to wear the same type of clothing or style it in a similar manner, but when someone consistently does this and pretends as if the person that he/she is mimicking does not exist, then I think that there is a deeper problem. We as a people have to learn how to champion others, we don't lose anything by encouraging others or by acknowledging them.

Reactions
4,476 76 35
Alleybux
I saw this and I definitely felt sad for Amanda because she truly does have a unique sense of style, and you can sense the passion from her photos. While I understand that people can be inspired by other people's style, I do not think that this incident is a coincidence. Unfortunately, Kahlana does look somewhat shady for this because if she was inspired by her style why not celebrate her or contact her on IG/phone, instead of going through different people to figure out what she was wearing and cutting her head off of her photographs in the process. Like I said, I don't think that it is an issue to wear the same type of clothing or style it in a similar manner, but when someone consistently does this and pretends as if the person that he/she is mimicking does not exist, then I think that there is a deeper problem. We as a people have to learn how to champion others, we don't lose anything by encouraging others or by acknowledging them.
Spot on!

Rookie
Reactions
231 13
Alleybux

Team Owner
Reactions
97,305 1,629 511
Alleybux
I'm here for a black fashion thread. Thank you for putting me on to Amanda. But I understand completely for you to put your hardwork into something and have someone else copy and get praise is annoying. She could've stopped but even after she got blocked she's still copying.

The Culture

Ask LSA

General Alley

Recent Posts

Michele Morrone: The Mafia Thirst Thread
These pics are terrible. Pen in the mouth, really? Let’s also include some extremely unprofessional blurry ones too. FL needs to at least take...
Naomi Campbell has a newborn baby girl.
Wether it is adopted/surrogate or not i wonder why she waited until now to become a mom? Anyhoo Congratz to her. because its not that easy for...
When Hoteptressing goes wrong...
Also, I just watched the girl that was Zae's wife video with some convo she did and he definitely did her dirty to only wind up alone..... Tsk tsk...
The Handmaid's Tale | Season 4 Discussion Thread
I hate June....she should have at least lost a foot or a finger in tht explosion. How does she come out unscathed every time? Also, she has gotten...
Black Twitter Tea & Discussion Thread
Are they really acting like pretty/thin/light-skin privilege is new? Adding -ism to the end of a word to describe a phenomenon doesn't make it...
RHOA EXCLUSIVE: RHOA Cast Getting A Major Shakeup For S14; They Need To Do Something To Get More...
Drew broke down at the hayride:neutral Yeah, it was mentioned on speak on it. She got into it with Kenya and then went hysterical. Started...
Miss Hollywood Posh/IamPosh Official Thread
I can’t believe this bitch thought her hair was gon look like dearra’s! Let me go see lol
Name foods you’ve cooked in your Air fryer/Toaster oven that would put your stove to shame.
Has anyone dehydrated fruits in their air fryer? I have a preset setting that lasts 6-8 hrs but I don't want to leave my air fryer running that long.
Trevor Noah Girlfriend?
Trevor Noah parties in Miami after Minka Kelly split: ‘Great way to enjoy my vaccine!’ BY MADELEINE MARR MAY 18, 2021 02:18 PM Trevor Noah is...
The Official Horrible Online Dating Profiles Thread!
Went on a hike with a guy the entire time he was drinking an energy drink from this container with a straw. We get back to his car and decide to...
Top Bottom