NYC Black Fashionista Drama/Tea?

Naomi Sims level elegance
Reactions
89,051 3,216 1,288
Alleybux
What is going on with the girls? Is NYC dead? I feel like everyone admitted they were broke and struggling and left their jobs to be influencers OUTSIDE of the city. I don’t even know who to follow anymore for cute fits or lifestyle (lunch/brunch inspo). Amanda is on a serious ego trip and I’m super close to unfollowing. I unfollowed all the publishing girls who are so basic it hurts. Did the pandemic usher in the era of sweatpants? Remote working means no office OOTD? Or reason to wear PR gifts and act like you got $$$!!??
What publishing girls did you follow?

Reactions
623 31
Alleybux
What do y’all think of tenicka b? I saw she was mentioned in this thread before. I do like her but sometimes the way she talks about her income seems to distasteful to me especially in this economy.

also, what do you all think of the normalize black luxury movement? I understand that they want to make it common for black women to be in these spaces but I’m already kinda looking side ways at luxury influencers. Especially because people of color snd especially black women have been hit hardest during the economic fall out.

Reactions
69,079 849 212
Alleybux
What do y’all think of tenicka b? I saw she was mentioned in this thread before. I do like her but sometimes the way she talks about her income seems to distasteful to me especially in this economy.

also, what do you all think of the normalize black luxury movement? I understand that they want to make it common for black women to be in these spaces but I’m already kinda looking side ways at luxury influencers. Especially because people of color snd especially black women have been hit hardest during the economic fall out.
I really feel like it’s SEO based. I was saying in another thread that this is just the trend of the moment.

Some of these influencers acting like they’re being oppressed because followers/subscribers notice and / or comment on the luxury hauls that they take time and energy to film and upload is absolute comedy to me.

I will also note that a lot of these “normalize black luxury” “activists” come from humble beginnings. So it feels like it’s driven in part by wanting others to say that they’ve—quote unquote—made it.

Reactions
623 31
Alleybux
I really feel like it’s SEO based. I was saying in another thread that this is just the trend of the moment.

Some of these influencers acting like they’re being oppressed because followers/subscribers notice and / or comment on the luxury hauls that they take time and energy to film and upload is absolute comedy to me.

I will also note that a lot of these “normalize black luxury” “activists” come from humble beginnings. So it feels like it’s driven in part by wanting others to say that they’ve—quote unquote—made it.
I agree. But it’s starting to be so tone deaf. Like yall, people are barely getting through this pandemic and we don’t fully understand the long term affects of Covid on the economy. Like tenicka is in Hawaii ranting about paying taxes while people are having to move in with their parents or change careers just to make it. I know fashion is surface level but sometimes these people are doing too much.
Not to mention how unsustainable luxury is anyway on the planet. Smh.

Reactions
96,068 1,580 506
Alleybux
I agree. But it’s starting to be so tone deaf. Like yall, people are barely getting through this pandemic and we don’t fully understand the long term affects of Covid on the economy. Like tenicka is in Hawaii ranting about paying taxes while people are having to move in with their parents or change careers just to make it. I know fashion is surface level but sometimes these people are doing too much.
Not to mention how unsustainable luxury is anyway on the planet. Smh.
It’s weird, it seems like the attraction to well known luxury increased while economic times got hard. It’s a flex, just like how dresses get longer when fabric is more hard to come by and stocks are down.

In a few years, it’ll be corny to have the same things as others again.

Reactions
584 3 26
Alleybux
I like Tenicka. One thing that bothers me is spending so much before making smart investments, but hey its their money. Couldnt bring myself to use afterpay for a big ticket item or any item for that matter.

Reactions
623 31
Alleybux
I like Tenicka. One thing that bothers me is spending so much before making smart investments, but hey its their money. Couldnt bring myself to use afterpay for a big ticket item or any item for that matter.
She posted today that her household makes over $400 k and that they’re in the top 2 percent of income earners in the us. I found that to be in poor taste during a global pandemic. But I do like her and like seeing black folks in high places but that just made me be like... okay what you telling the world for? To complain about how much taxes you’re paying when there are record level unemployment rates?

Last edited:
Reactions
1,626 147 57
Alleybux
She posted today that her household makes over $400 k and that they’re in the top 2 percent of income earners in the us. I found that to be in poor taste during a global pandemic. But I do like her but that just made me be like... okay what for? But she deleted it since.
Yes this was unnecessary and people don’t need to know how much income you make. I’m never telling thousands of strangers on the internet my income.

Attachments

• ED78FA0E-7B2A-44F1-BCFF-6EF7F570CB56.jpeg
    ED78FA0E-7B2A-44F1-BCFF-6EF7F570CB56.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 197
  • 13967603-5A70-45F1-9F8B-D0F4F735EBF3.jpeg
    13967603-5A70-45F1-9F8B-D0F4F735EBF3.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 116
  • 47523DD0-57F3-472E-A290-87E5007735E8.jpeg
    47523DD0-57F3-472E-A290-87E5007735E8.jpeg
    84.3 KB · Views: 128
Reactions
584 3 26
Alleybux
She posted today that her household makes over $400 k and that they’re in the top 2 percent of income earners in the us. I found that to be in poor taste during a global pandemic. But I do like her and like seeing black folks in high places but that just made me be like... okay what you telling the world for? To complain about how much taxes you’re paying when there are record level unemployment rates?
I think Tenika is a homeowner, not sure, but some of these other ladies buying all kinds of designer and don't own anything, its crazy to me. These designers dont give a crap about you. I love Tenika little videos, she is beautiful, don't need to know her income.

Reactions
623 31
Alleybux
I think Tenika is a homeowner, not sure, but some of these other ladies buying all kinds of designer and don't own anything, its crazy to me. These designers dont give a crap about you. I love Tenika little videos, she is beautiful, don't need to know her income.
Yes just unnecessary. I really like her but almost unfollowed her if she’s going to continue to talk about her wealth in the pandemic. Any other time I wouldn’t care but low key think these influencers must be stopped lol. The flex culture gotta reach its peak soon

Reactions
14,645 185 77
Alleybux
I like tenika’s lil videos - they are very cute. After a while it gets old - how many color blocking videos can I watch but I do like her individual items and have gotten some things completely based off her

In regards to her $$ talk; it seems like she’s fake humble? Like she wants people to know how much they make and how she lives but doesn’t wanna look like a braggart so she tries to slide it in. When she should just own her shit and keep it pushing!! Live your best life out loud who cares what others think. I’m personally not turned off about her taking about her money in a pandemic... it’s her reality so it is what it is. If it’s triggering to ppl, they can ubfollow

Reactions
1,626 147 57
Alleybux
I like tenika’s lil videos - they are very cute. After a while it gets old - how many color blocking videos can I watch but I do like her individual items and have gotten some things completely based off her

In regards to her $$ talk; it seems like she’s fake humble? Like she wants people to know how much they make and how she lives but doesn’t wanna look like a braggart so she tries to slide it in. When she should just own her shit and keep it pushing!! Live your best life out loud who cares what others think. I’m personally not turned off about her taking about her money in a pandemic... it’s her reality so it is what it is. If it’s triggering to ppl, they can ubfollow
Yea she’s doing entirely too much

Attachments

• 7A07C523-89EF-48BB-889E-B755A68F8990.jpeg
    7A07C523-89EF-48BB-889E-B755A68F8990.jpeg
    75.3 KB · Views: 150
Reactions
623 31
Alleybux
Yea she’s doing entirely too much
Idk it’s like wait is this relatable because she’s acting like the vast majority of people can live like that. I mean I don’t see Oprah talking like, “Hey guys, I’m flying on my private jet to my private island and I’m wondering what I should have my private chef make my family for dinner. Any ideas?” Lol. I think I’m just hating because I wish it were me lmao.

Reactions
14,645 185 77
Alleybux
Idk it’s like wait is this relatable because she’s acting like the vast majority of people can live like that. I mean I don’t see Oprah talking like, “Hey guys, I’m flying on my private jet to my private island and I’m wondering what I should have my private chef make my family for dinner. Any ideas?” Lol. I think I’m just hating because I wish it were me lmao.

Exactly. I think she should just live her life instead of trying to brag without bragging. Like people can SEE you living , you don’t need to announce it. Or if you’re gonna brag, then just brag and do it and don’t try and be relatable.

Reactions
8,128 416 372
Alleybux
For me it has nothing to do with the pandemic. I find it to be distasteful in any economy to discuss how much you make in the way that she does.

I agree with the font that said to just live your life. Just live your life and live in your fabulosity. People will see it. There's no need to announce it.

Reactions
4,367 69 29
Alleybux
Did anyone see that video with Maya (Instyle Beauty Director/Kahlana’s protege) And Kahlana? Is that really Maya’s voice....oh my it’s annoying.

Reactions
69,079 849 212
Alleybux
Did anyone see that video with Maya (Instyle Beauty Director/Kahlana’s protege) And Kahlana? Is that really Maya’s voice....oh my it’s annoying.
I haven’t listened to it, but yes that is her voice. :ROFLMAO: She was a guest on Brooke’s Naked Beauty podcast a couple years ago, and I was sooooo taken aback by her voice.

Reactions
1,626 147 57
Alleybux
Its not you. Her eye area is two toned. At first i thought it was her concealer/foundation not blended well but its her face.
Not only do I not find her pretty but she doesn’t photograph well generally or she just posts really bad pics

Attachments

• DC1E64BA-DFE1-4ABF-A305-FCA3718E4CBE.jpeg
    DC1E64BA-DFE1-4ABF-A305-FCA3718E4CBE.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 112
Reactions
20,636 605 406
Alleybux
Looks like it, most of the NYC fashion girls have headed west, even Auror* just bought a house out there.
They left to be influencers no real fashion girl lives in LA unless they’re their to style a show or a celebrity. All the houses are still here in NY as are most of the editorials and ad jobs. Even when styling shoots the only companies in LA are PR

Go on girl, do your show...
Reactions
3,666 57 10
Alleybux
They left to be influencers no real fashion girl lives in LA unless they’re their to style a show or a celebrity. All the houses are still here in NY as are most of the editorials and ad jobs. Even when styling shoots the only companies in LA are PR
Sadly a few of them are going to find that their audience does not care to be influenced by them and only really cared about their content due to their attachment to their former workplaces. The perceived lifestyle protected these girls and now... like girl nobody wanna see y’all getting green juice and avocado toast like a basic B. I guess they were aging out anyway like by 30/35 if you not married or higher up than... cuz the 25 year olds are ruthless.

The big events and reasons to wear PR clothing are not happening at the moment and a lot of these girls are STRUUUGLING. Hell even the tiny apartment in NYC content was slightly entertaining.

Reactions
5,410 82 19
Alleybux
Sadly a few of them are going to find that their audience does not care to be influenced by them and only really cared about their content due to their attachment to their former workplaces. The perceived lifestyle protected these girls and now... like girl nobody wanna see y’all getting green juice and avocado toast like a basic B. I guess they were aging out anyway like by 30/35 if you not married or higher up than... cuz the 25 year olds are ruthless.

The big events and reasons to wear PR clothing are not happening at the moment and a lot of these girls are STRUUUGLING. Hell even the tiny apartment in NYC content was slightly entertaining.
I agree with this. I used to really like Chrissy Ford’s content when she worked for harpers but she’s so boring now. Like why do I need to watch you get dressed up to sit in your parents house and talk about astrology?

I know she’s talked about how she makes so much more now as an influencer than working in publishing but I wonder if there’s actually long term career growth there. I guess I was excited to see what she was gonna do next when she left and am ultimately disappointed that she had no real plan.

Ask LSA

The Lounge

General Alley

Recent Posts

Twitter IMMEDIATELY shuts down Trump's new @DJTDesk account
But what happened to the social media platform Trump promised to build “in a matter of months.” Guess that was a scam like everything else he does
UPDATE Reddit Users Are LEGALLY Gaming The Stock Market...
what did you end up doing? I was just about to do the instructions from their Twitter with trust wallet and pancake swap but now I’m nervous...
Found you guys a new AMBW youtube family! (MAZELEE) - Thread II
That is inhumane and gross. No better way to galvanize the white calvary than with pointing out animal abuse. This is so low, and she deserves...
YouTube's Beef Sector: The Poor Reports
Chile, I named her Clymydia early on. ...I don't know why these Cuntints do this to themselves. They jokes will just play themselves out...
Dr Ian Smith Claims That A Black Talk Show Host Limits Appearances From Black People
They're rabid. When people get to that state they become irrational and ignore reality. I keep saying, those 2020 fonts are something else.
The Prince Harry and HRH The Duchess of Sussex Appreciation Thread.
With parents like Meghan and Harry and a grandmother like Doria, I'm sure Archie was beyond spoiled on his birthday. :heart:
Top Bottom