Nyc will fully reopen on july 1st

CherriGarcia

FKA RumTresLeche
Reaction score
Reactions
229,164 37,349 12,061
Alleybux

What to Know​

• Mayor Bill de Blasio says he's planning for NYC to reopen at "full strength" come July 1, though it's not yet clear what that might look like in terms of continued COVID protocol such as masks indoors
  • Improvement in core health metrics and increased vaccinations are fueling more reopenings at the state and national levels, too; NY hospitalizations are down 31 since April 1 alone
  • Officials keep trying to simplify the vaccination process to encourage people to get shots; all state-run mass vaccine sites now accept walk-ins for anyone 16+ while all city-run sites did that a week ago
New York City is aiming for a full reopening on July 1, Mayor Bill de Blasio said Thursday, suggesting a total removal of COVID-19 restrictions that have been in place for well more than a year by early summer.

Download our mobile app for iOS or Android to get alerts for local breaking news and weather.
"Our plan is to fully reopen New York City on July 1. We are ready for stores to open, for businesses to open, offices, theaters, full strength," the mayor said on MSNBC.

De Blasio is expected to elaborate further on the plan later in the day. It's not clear if additional COVID requirements -- like proof of vaccinations -- would apply to his plan to bring restaurants, gyms, shops, hair salons and arenas back at full capacity.

The mayor has also said indoor masking will remain the norm for some time -- a statement he reiterated Thursday as it relates to the full reopening.

"I want people to be smart about, you know, basic – the rules we've learned, you know, use the masks indoors when it makes sense, wash your hands, all the basics," de Blasio said. "But what we can say with assurance now is we're giving COVID no room to run anymore in New York City. We now have the confidence that we can pull all these pieces together and get life back really in many ways to where it was, where people can enjoy an amazing summer."

This is going to be the summer of New York City. You're going to see amazing activities, cultural activities coming back. I think people are going to flock to New York City because they want to live again.
MAYOR BILL DE BLASIO
The July 1 start would mean events that typically draw huge crowds -- like the city's annual Pride and Puerto Rican Day parades -- would have already passed. It's not clear how phased the full reopening process could be or how it would align with state regulations.

Smaller theaters could reopen over the summer and Broadway is on track for opening by September. Schools will be back at "full strength" in the fall.

De Blasio has taken a necessarily cautious approach -- at times voicing disagreement with state reopening decisions -- to bringing back the one-time epicenter of the pandemic.

But increases in vaccinations have helped fuel declines in core viral metrics, especially around hospitalizations and deaths, in recent weeks. The mayor acknowledged the city still has work to do but says he's confident in the timeline.

"Help us out by going out and getting vaccinated if you haven't already, and it's free and it's all over the city and now we're doing walkups at sites all over the city," de Blasio said. "We've got some work to do but I'm quite confident we'll be ready for full strength by July 1."

New daily case, hospitalization and death averages are down in the city -- by 38%, 43% and 37.5%, respectively -- over the last seven days compared with the daily average for the prior 28 days, health department data shows. And the number of New Yorkers getting vaccinated continues to rise even as the rate slows a bit.

De Blasio is expected to hit the halfway mark to his goal of fully vaccinating 5 million New York City residents by the end of June on Thursday, the same day New Yorkers of any eligible age will be accommodated on a walk-in basis at all state-run mass sites.

The walk-ins at state-run sites are for first doses only, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. Most of the state-run mass vaccine sites administer the Pfizer vaccine, which can be given to anyone age 16+. The second dose of the two-shot Pfizer and Moderna vaccines will be scheduled automatically after the first shot is administered, according to the governor.

Previously, the state walk-in option only applied to those age 60 and older and was limited to 16 sites. Cuomo expanded it this week as he seeks to keep vaccinations on pace with his reopening plans, which have accelerated considerably in recent weeks.

De Blasio opened all city-run sites to walk-ins of any eligible age last week as he seeks to hit his goal of fully vaccinating 5 million New York City residents by June's end. He should hit that goal Thursday. As of the state's latest data, 2.48 million New York City residents, 29.5% of the population, are fully vaccinated. Statewide, nearly a third of New Yorkers report a completed immunization series.

Both Cuomo and de Blasio have called on community health centers and private providers to open up walk-in appointments as well. The mayor wants pharmacies to do the same. He says making the process easier will help persuade skeptics.

"We may have, all of us, mistaken hesitancy for lack of convenience. There is definitely hesitancy too," de Blasio said. "There's definitely some people just don't want to get the shot right now or maybe ever, but I think as we've made it more and more convenient, sort of incentivized folks more, we're seeing lots of folks coming forward."

The walk-in expansion comes as infection rates are decreasing in most of the state. New York has averaged about 4,000 new COVID-19 cases per day over the past seven days, less than half the daily number of cases it averaged to start the month. State hospitalizations are down 31.3% since April 1 alone, while the daily death average is down 25% over the previous 14-day period, New York Times data shows.

Improved health metrics and increased vaccinations have prompted the governors of New York and New Jersey to announce steps to relax restrictions practically every week, sometimes more than once, as of late. They've led to changes nationally, too, with the CDC easing outdoor mask guidance for fully vaccinated people.

A day ago, Cuomo said his longstanding statewide food and beverage service curfew will end next month for both indoor and outdoor dining areas, while bar seating can return to New York City starting Monday for the first time in more than a year.

The announcement comes amid a series of recently announced capacity limit expansions for offices, large-scale outdoor events, concerts and non-NYC gyms and fitness centers by the governor of New York.

New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy made some reopening news across the river this week, too, announcing indoor capacity limits for weddings, proms, performances and more rises to 50% on May 10. Outdoor carnivals can return at 50% capacity the same day, while outdoor gathering limits will increase to 500, Murphy said.

Asked Wednesday, as he revealed new state guidance for day and sleepaway camps this summer, for a response to Cuomo's latest move on bars, given the proximity between New Jersey and the city, Murphy said to expect developments next week.

"It is now quite clear this thing has turned -- and turned for the better," he added.

He is scheduled to get his second vaccine dose along with his wife on Friday, which will make them both fully vaccinated. They'll join nearly a third of New Jerseyans who can say the same.

Nationally, 37.8% of U.S. adults age 18 and older are fully vaccinated, according to the CDC. That number is even higher among adults age 65 and older, 68.3% of whom have completed their shot series. More than half of U.S. adults have had at least one shot.

GlitterLady

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
109,417 2,707 1,700
Alleybux
I hate it when governors make that statement, but don’t have a clue on how exactly reopening fully is going to go down.

Kee720

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
3,371 58 32
Alleybux
A full reopening in 2 months is so premature, I know they’re pressed to get the economy back but we got hit so hard in NY by covid and so many communities are still not vaccinated

thephoenixslays

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
274,193 5,044 2,745
Alleybux
I cannot wait for NYC to come back to life. I am 1/2 vaccinated, second shot in 2 weeks By July 1st, if anyone wants to be vaccinated, they would be, so it makes no sense for those who decided to get vaccinated to wait for those who don't want it. Life needs to resume at this point.

Last edited:

pickle

All Star
Reaction score
Reactions
110,712 5,948 1,408
Alleybux
blasio says the entire city of new york is mentally ill, down from new born babies to 100 year old.
and now he wants to beg tourists to visit the city to experience and relish in the new york style mental illness?
sorry about the stigma regarding the mentally ill, but why would a tourist want to visit a city filled with mental illness and not be afrai? how can you feel safe knowing anyone in the street can swing a machete at your head, or a naked man pushing you in the subway tracks, or you can get spit on.

why not help and house the mentally ill before you beg unmasked tourists to come here and spread their variants???

anyone watching his conference on NY1??

one positive is that all public school children will receive a mental health screening and if you get your vaccine at a public site you can/will get screened for the mental illness.

now in the event that a "POC" slaps an asian, they better not charge him with a hate crime and instead of jail, send him to rehab for the mental illness, it's the right thing to do.

MrAtlanta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,815 5,540 10,637
Alleybux
Don't listen to these dumbass politicians. Just look at other parts of the world where lockdowns are occurring. It seems like these politicians, both Democrat and Republican, are ignoring what's taking place in other parts of the world. Other countries have the vaccine, but are also locking down. But here, these dumbasses are telling the American people not to wear masks.

12south

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,756 781 246
Alleybux
Just want to point out that yahoo finance (no I don’t have a link) reported over 500k jobless claims and businesses earnings have reached pre-pandemic levels. That tells me all I need to know. This has never been about ‘going back to normal,’ so much as it’s about making money for the corporate elite. Gross.

PrettyMa

Your Skin on My Skin
Reaction score
Reactions
23,910 1,832 412
Alleybux
Ok but what if Andrew says no ? I know here in Atlanta last July when Brian said Georgia was open , Keyshia said no , Atlanta was closed still. This caused confusion amongst businesses.. which lead to a lawsuit from Brian .. which lead to him eventually throwing it out . Lol

Justalook

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
15,386 309 103
Alleybux
Ok but what if Andrew says no ? I know here in Atlanta last July when Brian said Georgia was open , Keyshia said no , Atlanta was closed still. This caused confusion amongst businesses.. which lead to a lawsuit from Brian .. which lead to him eventually throwing it out . Lol
In Ga the governors rules/mandates supersedes the mayor's mandates.

EmpressN

Multimillionaire Business Woman
Reaction score
Reactions
92,956 3,847 3,919
Alleybux
This shouldn't surprise anyone. I know places were going to start opening up soon. Due to the amount of advertising I've been seeing for things coming in 2022.

They don't care anymore. This "pandemic" wasn't supposed to last forever. America got quotas to make. This corporation isn't going to run itself. Now they just have to figure out how to gain everyone's trust again. This plan worked a little too well. Now they're trying to shake the fear out of everyone lol.

4Shyts N Giggles

Macktress in the BackBish
Reaction score
Reactions
11,617 373 88
Alleybux
Same @ chipotle. I wish throat chopping folks was legal.
Well, "accidentally" stepping back really hard on feet, or swinging your bag over your shoulders works for me, and I was doing this BEFORE covid. Don't like anyone close up on me! Foh..

Can I get a window seat, don't want nobody, next to meeeeee..lol I love Erykah for that one.

Cinnahs

Black and Beautiful
Reaction score
Reactions
239,393 4,931 1,464
Alleybux
Godspeed, NYC. I hope that people will still wear their masks. NYC was pummeled with a glut of new cases and deaths on a daily basis last year. You NYC fonts please stay safe.

thephoenixslays

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
274,193 5,044 2,745
Alleybux
Don't listen to these dumbass politicians. Just look at other parts of the world where lockdowns are occurring. It seems like these politicians, both Democrat and Republican, are ignoring what's taking place in other parts of the world. Other countries have the vaccine, but are also locking down. But here, these dumbasses are telling the American people not to wear masks.
In other parts, of the world that vaccine rollout has been a disaster. Most countries have administered very little doses to its population. Europe has only administered 123M doses, whereas the United States has administered 234M doses. We are starting to open up because more and more of our population is being vaccinated compared to everywhere else.

POROSITY

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
24,880 342 93
Alleybux
We have to open up fully at some point. People are out and about anyway. Not many people are going to stay home for years, myself included. What kind of life is that? And this is coming from someone who LOVES being home.

I have been out socializing and enjoying my life while keeping safe, and will continue to do so. I look forward to reopening fully.

12south

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,756 781 246
Alleybux
Well, "accidentally" stepping back really hard on feet, or swinging your bag over your shoulders works for me, and I was doing this BEFORE covid. Don't like anyone close up on me! Foh..

Can I get a window seat, don't want nobody, next to meeeeee..lol I love Erykah for that one.

im going to try the purse one!

Relaunch91

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
117,317 4,172 1,750
Alleybux
Somebody go pull my old posts because I told y’all things were going to go back to normal by summer in January lol.

MrAtlanta

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
72,815 5,540 10,637
Alleybux
In other parts, of the world that vaccine rollout has been a disaster. Most countries have administered very little doses to its population. Europe has only administered 123M doses, whereas the United States has administered 234M doses. We are starting to open up because more and more of our population is being vaccinated compared to everywhere else.

The United States has vaccinated a little more than one-third of it's population. Other countries are not that far behind, but they are locking down. Depending on the strain, these vaccines won't stop spreading and mutation.

YoungBougieBlac

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
180,298 9,432 15,103
Alleybux
Im staying home, but i cant fault this. Life must go on

same. The vaccine doesn’t stop ppl from getting or spreading. So the virus will still be proliferating. I’ll be staying indoors but I understand why others are tired of it. All my friends know they ain’t seeing me until 2022, idc

TheQueen

TheQueen
Reaction score
Reactions
42,220 1,434 224
Alleybux
No mask wearing and not social distancing is going to have my anxiety levels through the roof. I'm going to continue to wear my mask at all times. I didn't do crowds before covid I'm not going to start now. My vacation plans are off peak times. Family gatherings are only outdoors.

strawberryanise

Not Quilty!
Reaction score
Reactions
252,132 9,154 877
Alleybux
I'm staying HOME. People are already getting reckless and standing TOO CLOSE at Duane Reade.
Some lady yesterday was tailgating my @$$ hard in Dollar Tree yesterday. It took all my self-control not to bark at her to back TF up.

At one point, I stood in front of my cart to get some space.

Same @ chipotle. I wish throat chopping folks was legal.
giphy.gif

Don't listen to these dumbass politicians.
A number of New Yorkers don't take de Blasio seriously anyway. :disdain

Last edited:

WWE Diva

90s Kid
Reaction score
Reactions
269,314 17,600 834
Alleybux
There are schools that are still opening & closing due to COVID rises, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.