NYT: Are Animated Dads Getting Hotter? An Investigation

Goodgyalknd

✧・゚: *✧・゚:* in my princess era *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
Reaction score
Reactions
262,767 12,734 1,841
Alleybux
merlin_184515930_6af1de81-dc18-492c-bd8e-6416c39c4ed4-jumbo.jpg

Raya with her father, Benja, the subject of fan crushes, in “Raya and the Last Dragon.”Credit...Disney +, via Associated Press

By Kyle Buchanan
May 7, 2021Updated 2:30 p.m. ET
I thought the whole man-bun thing was played out, and then along came Benja.

First, I sparked to his voice, which is warm, soothing and capable of delivering large amounts of exposition in a single breath. Then there’s his face: high cheekbones, strong eyebrows, no pores. And would you look at the way he dotes on his daughter, Raya? Come on, the guy’s a catch.

With all of those things going for him, Benja quickly leapt to the top of my long list of quarantine crushes. Still, whenever I tried to imagine some sort of future for us, I kept getting distracted by two glaring red flags: One is that evil spirits just turned Benja to stone, and the other is that he’s animated. (At least the first one is reversible.)
Though many would find the whole pixel-person thing to be a deal breaker, I continued to pine for Chief Benja of the Heart tribe (the Heart tribe!) while watching Disney’s latest computer-animated film, “Raya and the Last Dragon.” Then, as the closing credits rolled, I took to Twitter, where I found plenty of other professionals who were proud to let their freak flag fly.

“The protagonist’s dad in ‘Raya and the Last Dragon’ is smoking hot,” tweeted the Hollywood Reporter film critic David Rooney, who also noted, “Gotta love thirst-trap animation.” The writer Hanna Ines Flint concurred: “The man’s arms, I wanna hang off them,” she tweeted.
It’s not just “Raya”: Recent animated films have demonstrated a commitment to putting hot dads onscreen that can only be rivaled by whoever’s casting “Riverdale.” Think of the elf dad from last year’s “Onward,” who looked kind of like a hot, blue John Krasinski, or Riley’s dad from “Inside Out,” whose mustache and five o’clock shadow once inspired a very frisky Buzzfeed article.

merlin_187374513_cc7b5eb3-4c7f-4c0c-8042-8fd0264b0e04-jumbo.jpg

With a mustache and a five o’clock shadow, the dad in “Inside Out” proved, um, inspiring.Credit...Pixar Animation Studios
Most hot animated dads, like Miguel’s father in “Coco,” only get a little bit of time to make a big impression, but a precious few get the entire movie to shine, like the lantern-jawed, barrel-chested paterfamilias from “The Incredibles.” Their ranks are ever-growing, but still I wondered: Are animated dads truly getting hotter, or are we just getting crazier?

“Hotness is not just how they’re drawn — it’s all these other things that come together,” replied the writer Bim Adewunmi, a former host of the crush-centric podcast Thirst Aid Kit. She pointed out that Disney had hired the “Lost” actor Daniel Dae Kim to voice Benja: “We interviewed him in person at Sundance in 2020, and I sound like such a pervy teenage girl, but he has a hot aura. He radiates calm, like a good friend.”

If the hot animated dad thing feels like a modern phenomenon, that’s in part because early Disney movies were more content to leave the protagonist’s parents out entirely. Later, Disney might have thrown in a dad or two for plot purposes, but they tended toward elderly and doddering, like Jasmine’s father in “Aladdin.”

“Why do they have these long gray beards?” Adewunmi wondered. “That’s the thing with Disney: The moms are all dead, and the dads are just old. What the hell happened?” Even the occasional attempt to xes up some of those older dads struck Adewunmi as implausible: “King Triton in ‘The Little Mermaid’ has these incredible abs, right? But it’s like, you have seven daughters, my good sir. When does he find the time to be at the gym?”

It wasn’t until recently that Pixar came on the scene and cracked the code wide open. “Pixar doesn’t do an ugly dad,” Adewunmi said. But the Pixar dads aren’t hot in the same way that, say, Regé-Jean Page from “Bridgerton” is hot: Instead, they’re humble-hot, often rumpled and lived-in, like you searched for a nice-looking ex on Facebook and found that he’s got a wife, kids and that certain something-something.

That’s the sort of formula that can turn a tertiary animated character into an internet boyfriend, and as of late, more people are content to confess their cartoon crushes. On the most recent season of “RuPaul’s Drag Race,” lip-sync assassin Denali was chatting with her fellow queens when she revealed that most of the famous people she found hot were animated. “I’m an Aries,” Denali told me, “and I’m very upfront with what I feel.”

06raya-hot-dads5-jumbo.jpg

Even with his elf ears, the “Onward” patriarch has a following.Credit...Pixar Animation Studio

That revelation inspired many of Denali’s fans on Twitter to reply with their own cartoon crushes, which they illustrated with surprisingly swoon-worthy clips and GIFs. And though Denali found some of those replies to be not entirely safe for work — “Sometimes it’s a little surprising to have an image of Tarzan going at it on your timeline,” she said — it inspired her to wonder if this collective infatuation with animated figures wasn’t a long time coming.

“Especially when you’re a young gay kid and you’ve yet to watch a lot of mature movies, there are a lot of subtle things you pick up on — like the way Disney would give Li Shang from ‘Mulan’ a really nice chest,” Denali said. “Maybe they’re finally pandering a little bit and leaning into it.”

And then there are recent events, which may have added more fuel to our fire. “Of course, there’s the ineffable factor of quarantine, where everybody briefly lost their minds,” Adewunmi said. “If you have nothing to do but roll from your bed to your laptop, you might say, ‘You know what I’m going to linger on today? The dad from ‘Onward.’”

And if you’re single and still struggling through the pandemic, isn’t it appealing to imagine a generally good-natured, relationship-oriented figure who’d happily be there for you? After “Raya” was over, I half-expected Benja to leap off the screen and onto the couch beside me, where he’d finally be the supportive partner I need to watch dumb episodes of “The Circle” with. Plus, he looks great in patterned aqua-blue tunics, and you can’t say that of every dad.

“See, I don’t think even I could pull that off, so in some ways, he’s far superior to me,” said Daniel Dae Kim. When I called Kim up a few weeks ago, “Raya and the Last Dragon” had just been released and he’d begun to pick up on the internet’s stirrings. “And I’ve also gotten a lot of comments on how that character looks like me,” Kim said. “So I guess by the transitive property, I will take that as a compliment.”

In fact, Kim revealed that Benja got hotter as development wore on: “The character that I saw originally was thinner and leaner and longer,” he said. “I thought that was intriguing, and then when I saw a rough cut, he had grown wider, he had gotten a little bit more muscular, and I noticed a hairline that was kind of similar to mine.”

Still, there must be more to all this than just some well-rendered computer modeling, right? As Kim mused about Benja’s appeal, he wondered whether these animated dads provide a feeling of G-rated comfort in a cultural moment that sorely lacks it.

“In some ways, I think Benja is the dad we all wish we had,” Kim said. “He’s a warrior, but he’s kind and compassionate to his children and looks to unite people as opposed to divide them.”

And if we’re so starved for that sort of handsome levelheadedness that we begin nursing a crush … well, what then? Kim laughed: “I’m reminded of that quote from ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit,’ where Jessica Rabbit says, ‘I’m not bad, I’m just drawn that way.’

Kyle Buchanan, a Los Angeles-based pop culture reporter, writes The Projectionist column. He was previously a senior editor at Vulture, New York Magazine's entertainment website, where he covered the movie industry. @kylebuchanan

source: Are Animated Dads Getting Hotter? An Investigation

sun cow

aesthete | ˈesˌTHēt
Reaction score
Reactions
18,239 1,203 153
Alleybux
(Satire or not) Defund the NYT. Can’t wait for them to start e-begging like the shameless hacks at the Guardian.

Stormy_Weather

“You Bit**es Ain’t Humble Enough”
Reaction score
Reactions
478,282 8,519 2,296
Alleybux
giphy.gif

Also, the protagonists in Disney movies have also gotten younger, which is why the fathers are younger now too

LLCoolFae

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
12,790 310 75
Alleybux
Even the bar for animated men is low.

At the very least, NYT could mention an animated dad with a body. Case in point:

ETA: Ozai I wanna see what else that mouth do

Last edited:

Lelexa

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,640 92 3
Alleybux
This is what journalists write when they’re rushing a deadline. Or they have to do an assessment. Kyle obviously a little too into cartoons.

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,767 12,734 1,841
Alleybux
This is what journalists write when they’re rushing a deadline. Or they have to do an assessment. Kyle obviously a little too into cartoons.

Kyle also probably spent a lot of time on Tumblr, AO3 and fanfiction.net as a teen.

meduusa

boo boo the fool
Reaction score
Reactions
55,612 1,305 154
Alleybux
If they're gonna thirst after animated characters, they at least could have brought up the menz in Avatar and Korra, and not these goofy mfs.

PisceanPrincess

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
37,176 722 287
Alleybux
lmaoooo what......

it's giving h*ntai, but somehow worse. bc at least they stand ten toes in their toon thirst

MERVEILLEUSE

Encyclopedia Dramatica
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
713,748 11,265 4,454
Alleybux
I know there’s some absolutely brilliant black woman working part time on contract at the NYT who pitches insightful, engaging pop culture articles that never get picked up, ... while Kyle over here is paid a generous full time salary to write this sh!t.

Goodgyalknd

Reaction score
Reactions
262,767 12,734 1,841
Alleybux
I know there’s some absolutely brilliant black woman working part time on contract at the NYT who pitches insightful, engaging pop culture articles that never get picked up, ... while Kyle over here is paid a generous full time salary to write this sh!t.

I mean there are brillliant black women at TheMarySue, Buzzfeed or even Tumblr writing the same types of articles. Hope they get a NYT gig too.

Jsolidus

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
103,834 5,402 5,379
Alleybux
If your looking at a cartoon character and thinking they are hot and or sexy, you need to get laid with a real person with the quickness. The sh!t aint normal!

1620443344953.png

CrithsSuitcase

Luggage Model of the Year
Reaction score
Reactions
46,400 630 34
Alleybux
Oh, so they’re just gonna pretend Hank Hill never happened?

d6K.gif

or this sweater-wearing stud muffin

Caillou_Character_Dad_719x405-1.jpg

unrelated to my completely unnecessary post, I really want to fight Calliou even though I never watched his show

redleon

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
32,069 580 72
Alleybux
Even the bar for animated men is low.

At the very least, NYT could mention an animated dad with a body. Case in point:

ETA: Ozai I wanna see what else that mouth do

Dammit you beat me to it! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Winterwonderland

Queen in training
Reaction score
Reactions
40,732 1,061 889
Alleybux
It's not exactly a recent thing. There have been hot and not so hot cartoon dads for years.
But I can tell that these people have been stuck inside for way too long.

TrueLoveWays

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
8,176 263 156
Alleybux
I've always thought Jim Dear from Lady and the Tramp was hot and beautiful. He also owned a beautiful house and had a lovely sounding voice. ❤️

w.jpg

Last edited: