Quantcast

OBGYN told me anxiety meds were fine. Second opinion?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
2,688,443 494,790 222,814
Alleybux
I posted before that my doctor prescribed me Lorezapam/Ativan due to extreme panic attacks during my Pap smears. Well I’m currently 11 weeks pregnant and have one scheduled for Friday. She told me that Ativan was “fine” to take if I need to before my appointment. I looked online and got mixed answers about how safe it is. Has anyone been on anxiety meds while pregnant?

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Girl I was on those exact meds before it made me crazy after a while it's definitely bad if you're pregnant and already having mood swings you need to stop taking them are you crazy

Eve666

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,787 521 272
Alleybux
I would ask an actual psychiatrist and not strangers on the internet or an obgyn who prob knows a bit about them but not enough about them to be sure. I am only saying this because my own doctor told me this and referred me to an actual psych when I wanted to go on a specific medication

Rlyn83

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
660 17 3
Alleybux
Okay; I just did a bit of research on this. There is a slight risk of some birth defects for women who take ativan while pregnant. The research seems to point more toward regular use of it, though. In addition, research states that these are most often to occur in your first trimester. One thing to note is that mood disorders/panic attacks/etc., anxiety has a risk of causing miscarriage. My thought is that if you are using this medication in rare instances like these pap smears, that your dosage is probably very small and won't be a concern. The risk of you panicking during the procedure may outweigh the risk of a small dose of ativan. I am NOT a medical professional, but I do take ativan once in a while for panic. (like... a bottle lasts me four months)

ToTheGAWDS

WHACK WORLD
Reaction score
Reactions
31,975 916 738
Alleybux
Can't believe your doctor said that. My doctor didn't even want me to take zyrtec while pregnant, never mind a schedule 4 controlled substance like Ativan.

I'm just a pregnant nursing student so your doctor knows better than me. And your doctor must think the pros of taking the drug outweigh the cons for you. I would still get a second opinion from a different doctor and then from a pharmacist who would merely tell you if it's safe during pregnancy, not if it's use is good for your particular situation.

But according to the Davis's Drug Guide, lorazepam crosses the placenta and enters breast milk. It states lorazepam is contraindicated in pregnancy. "Use in pregnancy and lactation may cause central nervous system depression, flaccidity, feeding difficulties, hypothermia, seizures, and respiratory problems in the neonate; discontinue drug or bottle-feed; IV use may affect child's brain development when used during 3rd trimester."

Then under the "Use cautiously in:" category it states "Safety and effectiveness not established in children under 18 yrs (via IV) or under 12 yrs (tablet)"

And here's an excerpt from the FDA

"The clinical significance of the above findings is not known. However, an increased risk of congenital malformations associated with the use of minor tranquilizers (chlordiazepoxide, diazepam, and meprobamate) during the first trimester of pregnancy has been suggested in several studies. Because the use of these drugs is rarely a matter of urgency, the use of lorazepam during this period should be avoided. The possibility that a woman of childbearing potential may be pregnant at the time of institution of therapy should be considered. Patients should be advised that if they become pregnant, they should communicate with their physician about the desirability of discontinuing the drug.

In humans, blood levels obtained from umbilical cord blood indicate placental transfer of lorazepam and lorazepam glucuronide. Infants of mothers who ingested benzodiazepines for several weeks or more preceding delivery have been reported to have withdrawal symptoms during the postnatal period.

Symptoms such as hypoactivity, hypotonia, hypothermia, respiratory depression, apnea, feeding problems, and impaired metabolic response to cold stress have been reported in neonates born of mothers who have received benzodiazepines during the late phase of pregnancy or at delivery."

incogneato

No face, no case.
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Okay; I just did a bit of research on this. There is a slight risk of some birth defects for women who take ativan while pregnant. The research seems to point more toward regular use of it, though. In addition, research states that these are most often to occur in your first trimester. One thing to note is that mood disorders/panic attacks/etc., anxiety has a risk of causing miscarriage. My thought is that if you are using this medication in rare instances like these pap smears, that your dosage is probably very small and won't be a concern. The risk of you panicking during the procedure may outweigh the risk of a small dose of ativan. I am NOT a medical professional, but I do take ativan once in a while for panic. (like... a bottle lasts me four months)
Thank you. I’ve never actually taken them before because my last pap ended up getting canceled. This would be a one time thing and Im only taking half a pill because I’m very tiny.

Rlyn83

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
660 17 3
Alleybux
Thank you. I’ve never actually taken them before because my last pap ended up getting canceled. This would be a one time thing and Im only taking half a pill because I’m very tiny.
Yeah. Honestly, I'd just do it if I were you. You'll be fine! They just don't want people out there shoveling back bottles of pills on the regular. lol.

THRILLHO

Simpson, eh
Reaction score
Reactions
79,588 2,198 194
Alleybux
your pharmacist is the #1 person to ask. they know medications better than a lot of physicians.

TGSHeaux

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
32,126 2,641 2,419
Alleybux
Any anxiety/ anti psychotic medicine is not recommended for pregnant women. Go to a psychiatrist for a second opinion.

Reaction score
Reactions
4,563 82 36
Alleybux
I think if you're doing it every now and then your child will be fine. If you're taking high amounts day in and day out I would say that's pretty risky. I got pregnant while on Xanax and for the first 3 months of my pregnancy I weaned off bc my slow behind didn't realize you cant just stop taking anxiety meds abruptly. My doctor scolded me for stopping so suddenly bc of the high risk of seizures. My son came out fine with no birth defects and is happy and healthy 2 1/2 years later. Your doctor obviously felt like the good outweighs the bad in your case so I would listen to your doctor. Don't let these folks on the internet scare you bc they had me thinking my son was gonna come out with down syndrome or something. I spent MONTHS guilty and afraid while I was pregnant bc of the mess I read online.

Abbie Mills

Wife of Prince Daemon Targaryen and President Snow
Reaction score
Reactions
79,089 1,113 415
Alleybux
Please please get a second opinion from another doctor(a physiatrist preferably or a pharmacist, or even your general doc). Don’t ask strangers on the internet. No one here is your doctor or knows your medical history. We can’t help you.

Peoniesinspring

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
35,884 2,156 492
Alleybux
It's a well known fact that Jeffrey Dahmer's mother took an unlimited amount of them when she was pregnant. I'll leave it at that.

Feminine.

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,951 270 171
Alleybux
You need to ask a professional in REAL LIFE. Not random people on the internet. End thread.

SageDew

Lighten up, it's just LSA
Reaction score
Reactions
9,987 141 23
Alleybux
I'm just going to echo what's been said: See a pharmacist, literally go into your local drug store, head to the pharmacy and talk to someone there. You might be even able to schedule an appointment to speak with one. Even on prescriptions pamphlets it says to ask your pharmacist re: drug interactions/ side effects. Pharmacists study drugs, chop it up with one of them.

slimmyshady

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
28,101 1,558 1,022
Alleybux
There will ALWAYS be side effects. You can get a second opinion all day long but your physician will tell you it’s your choice. I had the option to go on Zoloft in my third trimester to get ahead of what I knew would be an uphill battle with postpartum. I ultimately declined because I couldn’t risk it.

The postpartum was really bad though. I pushed through with the support of my partner but it was tough. Ask yourself what you can live with

Trending Threads

News Alley

Ask LSA

General Alley

Top Bottom