Quantcast

Of the Keating Four who do you see having a fantastic career post-HTGAWM

jdpm1991

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
134,732 16,958 10,376
Alleybux
The day HTGAWM finally ends which of the Keating 4 do you see having a fantastic career post-HTGAWM?

I vote for Aja

NatRod93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,542 858 38
Alleybux
Alfred Enoch (Wes) is thriving post HTGAWM. Successful play, role on a Netflix show, and now cast as the lead in a new series across the pond. I think he is and will be the most successful.

I'd love to see the same upward trajectory for Aja too of course. Karla is a popular actress in Mexico. I could see her going back there instead of staying in the US.

Oliver could probably continue in theatre since that seems to be his passion and he's been nominated for awards there.

Connor & Asher will probably get roles post HTGAWM for obvious reasons.

Unknown1996

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
53,009 1,190 788
Alleybux
Probably Matt (Asher).

I doubt that. He's a clown, has the least raw intelligence/drive, and the start of this season seems to be hinting at his situation becoming worse. I also don't see him having a lot of range acting wise.

I would pick Connor/Aja.

Ethereal Spirit

Black girls do it better
Reaction score
Reactions
192,841 6,681 8,083
Alleybux
I doubt that. He's a clown, has the least raw intelligence/drive, and the start of this season seems to be hinting at his situation becoming worse. I also don't see him having a lot of range acting wise.

I would pick Connor/Aja.

He was on OITNB and was also on a new Netflix movie recently. The rest of the cast has not done much as consistently as him since the inception of the show.

Unknown1996

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
53,009 1,190 788
Alleybux
He was on OITNB and was also on a new Netflix movie recently. The rest of the cast has not done much as consistently as him since the inception of the show.

Was he still doing the class clown type roles? I think the guy who plays thirsty ass Frank might get more typecast roles playing the same type of guy.

NatRod93

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
101,542 858 38
Alleybux
Are we talk characters or actors?...

Oop if we aren't talking actors, then I feel dumb lol! Since OP said "Aja" instead of Michaela, I just assumed. I'm going to pretend that she was referring to actors
arrogant.png

Ethereal Spirit

Black girls do it better
Reaction score
Reactions
192,841 6,681 8,083
Alleybux
Was he still doing the class clown type roles? I think the guy who plays thirsty ass Frank might get more typecast roles playing the same type of guy.

Yeah, but comedic roles are where his bread seems to be buttered most.
And yeah, I agree with you about Charlie (Frank).

Effy Mariota

Effy Told You
Reaction score
Reactions
28,622 575 119
Alleybux
Matt (Asher)- I don’t think he’s winning an Oscar but he’s funny and extremely likable.

Jeff Bezos

I’m a lady
Solutions
Reaction score
Reactions
240,977 6,028 2,399
Alleybux
Viola needs to be the breakout star. They butchered this fµck!ng show just like Scandal. I haven't even thought of the new season smh

Ash_Lee_Can

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
56,814 779 167
Alleybux
I think Matt will go the activist route that he has and continue with acting to use as his platform to do it...

Hardees

Bench Warmer
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
80 1
Alleybux
I don’t see it for anyone of them. If it wasn’t for this board heck I wouldn’t know their names.

sugahoneyicetee

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
46,593 1,220 400
Alleybux
Hopefully, Aja. But she may have to diversify and do some plays if her movie career doesn't take off like she wants... she has had a recent streak of bad luck that was not her fault just bad timing (Nate Parker and Harvey Weinstein scandals overshadowed her chances to shine in light of the #MeToo movement).
Fortunately she has a contract with L'Oreal Paris i think. Karla can probably go back to telenovelas if push came to shove.

I think any of the other guys will do fine bc there is always and audience for attractive white guys, (whether they can really act or not, lol). Which is partly why i'm so geeked bc even though they did Alfred wrong (imo, killing his character off so one of the white guys' characters could take prominence), he seems to be doing well and not missing a beat across the pond in the UK since HTGAWM.

Nu Lo

Starter
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
885 23 43
Alleybux
It has been 4 years already and nothing for anyone of them. I know someone said Alfred and with all do respect it’s overseas. We are arrogant so if it ain’t on what we perceive as a hit or good show we are not paying attention. Never watched BBC a day in my life.

Karla is in the same boat as Alfred. It doesn’t mean that they aren’t successful just means they don’t move the needles for Americans. She will easily settle back into being a Mexican superstar.

Aja is so busy being generic as someone said I think that she is forgettable. You would have think by now she would have booked one of these black movies in theater, Netflix or Tv One. I know white Hollywood would be hard but shoot Tyler Perry will book anybody. I know she did a movie that made some Somalians mad and while we can empathize will Americans be able to relate.

Jack and Matt has the higher percentage in all honesty for obvious reasons. Matt is advocate so he will always have some type of platform. He is way more woke than his costars besides Viola. Aja and Alfred are darn near mutes when it comes to anything racial maybe because they date white people. Not putting anybody down or praising anybody up just something I noticed.

Conrad is a great broadway performer so I am sure he would fit right back in that world.

GrahamCracker

Don't fµck with me fellas!
Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
giphy.gif

Ok, let's get this over with.

Alfred Enoch (Wes) is thriving post HTGAWM. Successful play, role on a Netflix show, and now cast as the lead in a new series across the pond. I think he is and will be the most successful.
He's been working for nearly 20 years, so yeah it's a safe bet.

But he's English and mostly active in the UK, but if he lands a part in the US (god forbid playing an American character) he is to be ruthlessly attacked and his edges ain't sh!t and he lets the wrong people play with his genitals so it doesn't count - allegedly.

Unless he's instagram famous and twitter woke, gets the 1/2 white part of his DNA removed, his career doesn't really count as a career.

I'm kidding here, but all too often that's how it is for young black actors. Their white counterparts only have to show up while they get their life micromanaged are expected to fix racism and only make career choices that have to be both flawless and unproblematic yet super mainstream so that people even notice they're working.

It was the same with Viola. People b!tch about The Help, as if she didn't do plenty of other far worst maids before and complained about that being all that was available for her. Also watch her being canceled if she gets another Oscar on the grounds of white acceptance issues.

Karla is a popular actress in Mexico. I could see her going back there instead of staying in the US.
Karla will probably go back to her career in Mexico. Her recent projects didn't seem to land all that well in the US. I think she's not a stereotypical enough Latina to be typecast as one and i don't think Hollywood would have anything better to offer her. Maybe some supporting roles.

Hopefully, Aja. But she may have to diversify and do some plays if her movie career doesn't take off like she wants... she has had a recent streak of bad luck that was not her fault just bad timing (Nate Parker and Harvey Weinstein scandals overshadowed her chances to shine in light of the #MeToo movement).
Fortunately she has a contract with L'Oreal Paris i think. Karla can probably go back to telenovelas if push came to shove.

I think the Weinstein movie was completely shelved at the end.
However last year she filmed this and she's the lead. It's a true story and the woman who she is playing is supporting it. It seems independent, i have no idea how much they intend to promote it.

A Girl from Mogadishu (2018) - IMDb

Aja seems to be your typical black actres who doesn't fully break out until her 40's. She's plenty talented and has amazing screen presence. I'd love to see her play Whitney in a serious biopic.

Charlie is your typical prime time soap stock actor. That's been his gig since Buffy. He's also 40.

I think Matt will go the activist route that he has and continue with acting to use as his platform to do it...
Yeah and both seem to be drying up for him. He isn't popular enough for his voice to really do much and as an activist he isn't prominent enough. Maybe he'll try to run for office.

As for his activism. He conveniently forgets he's woke on set. Asher has arguably been the less consequential character in the show since the beginning. He should have understood that reducing Aja's character to a plot device for his character's going woke narrative is a bit of an issue as was the tantrums against Michaela. Also his character being babied for killing a b!tch while a black characters were being accused of being guilty of murders they didn't commit (Annalise) or of killing people out of necessity (Wes) should have raised some flags.
But if it gives him more screen time, he ain't woke no more.

Eh maybe Jack (Connor). Being a straight guy that's willing to go all in as a gay character gives him a few more options.
think any of the other guys will do fine bc there is always and audience for attractive white guys, (whether they can really act or not, lol). Which is partly why i'm so geeked bc even though they did Alfred wrong (imo, killing his character off so one of the white guys' characters could take prominence), he seems to be doing well and not missing a beat across the pond in the UK since HTGAWM.
Connor & Asher will probably get roles post HTGAWM for obvious reasons.
giphy.gif

It doesn't work like that.
White male actors like them are a dime a dozen. Far more popular and prominent white male actors have fallen off after their stints on tv shows.

Now them being white males as a reason why people just assume they deserve a brilliant career is a different story.
During the first 2 seasons everyone was proclaiming Jack was the breakout - literally just because.
4 years later and it's more like

giphy.gif

As of now Aja and Alfie have the better careers and they deserve them completely.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Dean Winchester

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
348,614 10,296 2,102
Alleybux
giphy.gif

Ok, let's get this over with.

He's been working for nearly 20 years, so yeah it's a safe bet.

But he's English and mostly active in the UK, but if he lands a part in the US (god forbid playing an American character) he is to be ruthlessly attacked and his edges ain't sh!t and he let's the wrong people play with his genitals so it doesn't count - allegedly.

Unless he's instagram famous and twitter woke, gets the 1/2 white part of his DNA removed, his career doesn't really count as a career.

I'm kidding here, but all too often that's how it is for young black actors. Their white counterparts only have to show up while they get their life micromanaged are expected to fix racism and only make career choices that have to be both flawless and unproblematic yet super mainstream so that people even notice they're working.

It was the same with Viola. People b!tch about The Help, as if she didn't do plenty of other far worst maids before and complained about that being all that was available for her. Also watch her being canceled if she gets another Oscar on the grounds of white acceptance issues.

Karla will probably go back to her career in Mexico. Her recent projects didn't seem to land all that well in the US. I think she's not a stereotypical enough Latina to be typecast as one and i don't think Hollywood would have anything better to offer her. Maybe some supporting roles.

I think the Weinstein movie was completely shelved at the end.
However last year she filmed this and she's the lead. It's a true story and the woman who she is playing is supporting it. It seems independent, i have no idea how much they intend to promote it.

A Girl from Mogadishu (2018) - IMDb

Aja seems to be your typical black actres who doesn't fully break out until her 40's. She's plenty talented and has amazing screen presence. I'd love to see her play Whitney in a serious biopic.

Charlie is your typical prime time soap stock actor. That's been his gig since Buffy. He's also 40.

Yeah and both seem to be drying up for him. He isn't popular enough for his voice to really do much and as an activist he isn't prominent enough. Maybe he'll try to run for office.

As for his activism. He conveniently forgets he's woke on set. Asher has arguably been the less consequential character in the show since the beginning. He should have understood that reducing Aja's character to a plot device for his character's going woke narrative is a bit of an issue as was the tantrums against Michaela. Also his character being babied for killing a b!tch while a black characters were being accused of being guilty of murders they didn't commit (Annalise) or of killing people out of necessity (Wes) should have raised some flags.
But if it gives him more screen time, he ain't woke no more.

giphy.gif

It doesn't work like that.
White male actors like them are a dime a dozen. Far more popular and prominent white male actors have fallen off after their stints on tv shows.

Now them being white males as a reason why people just assume they deserve a brilliant career is a different story.
During the first 2 seasons everyone was proclaiming Jack was the breakout - literally just because.
4 years later and it's more like

giphy.gif

As of now Aja and Alfie have the better careers and they deserve them completely.

giphy.gif

The question was not who deserves a fantastic career. You used that word at least twice to oppose my opinion but it has nothing to do with it.

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
The question was not who deserves a fantastic career. You used that word at least twice to oppose my opinion but it has nothing to do with it.
It does in the context i used it in.

This show made me realize that black actors aren't only disadvantaged by fewer and lesser opportunities but the audiences are biased against them and their characters too. HTGAWM was a rare example of black characters being more important than white ones but many in the audience were vocal about their displeasure with it - specifically they refused to be invested in Wes, they wanted Connor and Frank. But they don't admit it. They blame the actors and writers. Ask any of those crazy stans about what they think about any other black character/actor and they will give you the same opinion they have about Wes/Alfie.
This is where the assumption that Jack would be the break out comes from (Charlie was too old for that, Matt comic relief, Alfred and Conrad not-white, Carla and Aja not male).
Whomever would have been cast as the resident hot white dude would have been considered the breakout.
This made me realize that these actors barely have careers outside of their shows. I don't think Shondaland paved the way to any big career so far as an example.
The actors who end up having decent careers after their tv shows usually weren't that popular on those shows.

Most black a-listers were on tv shows everyone forgot about before breaking out in movies years later. Viola and Denzel too. Will Smith is a rare exception here. White actors who start on TV on the other hand tend to become very popular immediately but their popularity soon fades and they rarely even get a second decent TV role. The whiteness helps them more with quantity than quality.

jdpm1991

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
134,732 16,958 10,376
Alleybux
Also didn't Alfred already have a mainstream career as well? he was in the harry potter series

GrahamCracker

Reaction score
Reactions
109,120 709 177
Alleybux
Also didn't Alfred already have a mainstream career as well? he was in the harry potter series
Kind off. He considers HTGAWM his breakout role. I never saw the movies but to give you an idea about his role in the Harry Potter movies here's a quote from the guy who played the titular role from earlier this year
“I’m rooting for everybody who was in Potter. The one that’s criminal is Alfie Enoch — he has done so brilliantly since Potter, yet I don’t think he had a line in 10 years on the entire franchise.”

He's been doing theater since before Harry Potter (i think he started at about 9), he took a break during college and than resumed mainly in theater and a couple of guest spots on UK tv and than HTGAWM came which was 3 years after the last Potter movie. He was doing theater even during breaks from HTGAWM.
After he finished the show he had a supporting role in a BBC/Netflix series, this july he wrapped a play he was the co-lead in with Alfred Molina and now he's filming a mystery drama for the BBC where he replaced the lead for the 2nd season, in the first season the show was a mayor hit.

SweetSound

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,973 39 37
Alleybux

Not just inception for me cause I knew him as an actor prior, for me he’s one of those actors where I didn’t know his name but I’ve seen him on tv plenty of times over the years.

Kas

La Princessa
Reaction score
Reactions
8,814 1,047 618
Alleybux
Are we talk characters or actors?...
I came into this thread thinking it was about the characters and their successful career one they got their together.

I’ll be back tomorrow when I can perform a coherent thought... somebody tag me and remind me