Quantcast

Official Gymnastics Thread

WorkItOut

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
167,010 3,914 1,359
Alleybux
Y‘all I love Simone but I really hope she retires from the All Around because the battles among the new generation would be legendary.. like the US girls Konnor and Skye, the Russian girls with Viktoria Listinova , my Chinese queen Ou Yushan, even the British girls Gadirova ... maybe Melanie dos Santos continues as well and becomes more consistent.. Can you imagine those All Around competitions and the event finals omg??! Iconic!
And honestly throughout Simones reign those past 6 years there really weren’t that many strong talented consistent All Arounders so I never felt bad about Simones dominance cause it’s not like there was a beautiful extraordinary gymnast that got her thunder stolen by Simone tbh..
2009-2012 was my favorite quad because there were so many twists & turns! Anyone of the top American or Russian girls could haven taken home AA gold. Hell, the world champion from the previous year didn’t even qualify. Simone is a real treat to watch. So much innovation & strength, but I want another quad like that.

Ports and Slims

Pipe It Down 'Fore I Whoop You Like Yo Mama Do
Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
Am I the only one who didn’t know that there are two WOGA locations? Apparently, Konnor is moving to the gym where Valeri coaches in Dallas and Skye Blakey trains at the Frisco location.

Also, I thought Valeri was just training the hopes gymnasts. Is he taking on Skye because she is a proven elite? I hope he changed his training methods. Laurent seems to have improved his, if those rumors about him are true. I hope we don’t hear that he was abusive to Jordan, Simone, and the others years down the line despite all th positives we’re hearing right now. I’ve only heard positive things about Cecile though and she seems to have a very close relationship with the girls/women. Simone always looks happier when she is around.

Do you know why male athletes like Chow and Liukin coach women's gymnastics instead of men's? I don't follow men's gymnastics so there are likely plenty male gymnasts who coach the men, I'm just curious about why accomplished male gymnasts would coach female gymnasts instead of men. Chow I don't question; moreso Valeri but I included Chow for fairness. Valeri has one of the most difficult skills in the men's COP presently so why not stick to what you know? Chow has never been to the Olympics as an athlete nor has he been involved in messiness, so I do give him a pass.
View attachment 2592799
I don’t know if this is a good idea. He stood by & watched other gymnast be abused & he exhausted Rebecca Bross & Katelyn Ohasi before they could ever make it to the Olympics.

I can't stand Valeri for the reasons you stated above and also because I have a bad feeling about him. Even before I found out all we know now, I had a bad feeling and my intuition is never wrong. I also hate when gymnasts are interviewed about Larry Nassar and Co and they ask Nastia about it. Her dad was involved. Why even have her put her $.02 in like she will be objective? When NBC cut back to her commentary during the Classics and she was stating how Simone has such a big platform and uses her voice, I was annoyed. Right message, wrong person. It will never feel genuine just because of her proximity to her dad. Not her fault, but it is the reality of the issue

I'm only quoting this because I absolutely love leaps and this picture is amazing and I wish I could do that

Last edited:

JimmyJamHarris

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,076 717 403
Alleybux
Do you know why male athletes like Chow and Liukin coach women's gymnastics instead of men's? I don't follow men's gymnastics so there are likely plenty male gymnasts who coach the men, I'm just curious about why accomplished male gymnasts would coach female gymnasts instead of men. Chow I don't question; moreso Valeri but I included Chow for fairness. Valeri has one of the most difficult skills in the men's COP presently so why not stick to what you know? Chow has never been to the Olympics as an athlete nor has he been involved in messiness, so I do give him a pass.
Valeri took up coaching when he moved to the U.S which was after Nastia was born. He may have coached the girls because he had a daughter. I don’t know if he’s spoken about it. That’s just my guess.

Chow originally assisted with the coaching of men at the collegiate level because he was offered it. Afterward, he was offered to coach the women and accepted it. It seems like he just kept up with that side of the sport and when he opened his own gym started to work with children. I think he gravitated toward girls because he most recently worked with them. Again, that’s just a guess. It could also just be the boys were less competitive So we only see his work with the girls.

musicbox93

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,401 161 17
Alleybux
Women's gym is way more popular here in the U.S. (I believe this may be true for other countries as well). More money to be made, more prominence. Now, every male coach is not in it for that, but I do believe those are big factors. Also, I do believe it might be in part because girls are seen as more docile. Male gymnasts in the U.S. also get coached to junior elite usually at a club, but many end up going to do NCAA and from there are coached by their college coaches during their senior elite careers, so they end up being handed off to another coach when they reach big time competition.

There are a number of former male gymnasts who coach men, and there are some like Valeri who may coach the girls but they own their gym and have a boy's program as well that is coached by someone else.

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
257,937 18,337 2,704
Alleybux

Interesting article. I didn't know they don't practice skills on floor like that. They try to do it in form pit and reduce injury as much as possible. Not many run through. But sh!t imagine doing this at a competition and not having the feel of the floor.

JimmyJamHarris

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,076 717 403
Alleybux
Jade has a laid out triple double. This will be her first eponymous elite skill if she competes it at the Olympics. Very VERY impressive!!!!

Since the tuck is a j, do we think this will be a k? Simone broke the code when the triple dub was awarded a j so, I hope they rate the laid out version appropriately.

CatofAragon

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
323 13
Alleybux
Valeri may have broken Katelyn, but he is one of the proven elite coaches. I do think her family may be setting her up for trying for the Olympics and the world championships shall they take place this year. Haven't seen recent clips of her, but perhaps they are hoping she'll get more consistent with hitting routines to the best of her ability. I had to look up who her coach was previously and I think the coach was an unknown/unproven elite coach.

Yes I knew there were 2 WOGAs. The Plano one was the 1st one and main one.
My issue is, he broke MANY athletes Katelyn was the just most high profile. But many, including herself have talked about the toxic training environment over at WOGA(I will also add I don't know what it's like when it comes to WOGA as a whole. Like Skye Blakely trains at WOGA, but shes at the Frisco location. So different coaches and different physical gym)

ALSO someone was askinf if they should go to the meet. DO IT!!!!! I've been to World Championships and it was AMAZING. Watching it live there is an energy that ripples through the arena. Watching it online is great(although it should be more accessible), but in person it's an energy that you just can't feel via video.

Ports and Slims

Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
Can anyone explain how qualifying a team works in layperson terms? I read Brazil won't be at the Olympics because they didn't qualify a team but that's pretty shocking.

Ports and Slims

Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
Jade is scaring me with this landing. I hope she can nail it this weekend. I know she is hoping to make the team and forfeit her individual spot, buy this looks dangerous and not worth the risk. Best of luck to her though

Regarding eponymous skills, if Lorraine and Jordan are both training the same skill and submits them during the same competition, how does FIG decide to credit it to?

Last edited:

CatofAragon

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
323 13
Alleybux
Can anyone explain how qualifying a team works in layperson terms? I read Brazil won't be at the Olympics because they didn't qualify a team but that's pretty shocking.
The way team qualification worked was at World Championships in 2018 the top 3 teams, earned their berth to Tokyo. Then in 2019 the top 9 teams NOT including the 3 who had already qualified. So USA, Russia and China qualified as a team in 2018, and Canada, France, Netherlands, GB, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Japan and Spain all qualified as teams in 2019.

Brazil was 7th in 2018, but in 2019, 2/3 of their strongest members were injured(Jade Barbosa literally tore her ACL on their first event, vault, in qualifications), so they ended up 14th overall, and out of the 9 remaining spots that were left for an Olympic berth they came 11th.

As of now because she came 8th in the AA, Flavia is currently the only Brazillian WAG gymnast who has a spot(although they can snag one more individual spot at pan ams)

Ports and Slims

Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
The way team qualification worked was at World Championships in 2018 the top 3 teams, earned their berth to Tokyo. Then in 2019 the top 9 teams NOT including the 3 who had already qualified. So USA, Russia and China qualified as a team in 2018, and Canada, France, Netherlands, GB, Italy, Germany, Belgium, Japan and Spain all qualified as teams in 2019.

Brazil was 7th in 2018, but in 2019, 2/3 of their strongest members were injured(Jade Barbosa literally tore her ACL on their first event, vault, in qualifications), so they ended up 14th overall, and out of the 9 remaining spots that were left for an Olympic berth they came 11th.

As of now because she came 8th in the AA, Flavia is currently the only Brazillian WAG gymnast who has a spot(although they can snag one more individual spot at pan ams)

PERFECTLY WORDED. Super concise and informative. Thank you so much.

Are these rules the same for AA? Top 3 at previous Worlds and then Top 9 at the current World's

CatofAragon

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
323 13
Alleybux
PERFECTLY WORDED. Super concise and informative. Thank you so much.

Are these rules the same for AA? Top 3 at previous Worlds and then Top 9 at the current World's
Oh God no. The Individual process is a mess.

deep breath

So there are 50 individual spots total.

The first 20 spots went the the top 20 athletes(1 per country) in the AA during world qualification 2019. BUT you could only earn this spot IF your team didn't earn a place.

*Then, the next 12 spots went to anyone who's team again hadn't qualified, but they made it into an event final. You could qualify 3 individuals per nation this way. And to show you how this played out Yeo Seo-jeong of South Korea was the ONLY woman who qualified this way via vault because everyone else in EF's with was part of a qualifying team, or they qualified in AA.

So now you are probably like, but if no one else qualified through event finals where do we get the other athletes? Any of those remaining spots(in WAG's case there were 11) they go BACK to the AA scores and the 11 people who qualified 21-32 in the pool of athletes who's team's didn't qualify/didn't have an AA spot already taken by someone from their nation now qualify.

Then we have a host country spot. This spot is an automatic spot for an individual from Japan IF Japan didn't qualify as a team. Because they did, the host spot now goes to whoever finished 33rd in the AA(again so long as no one else from their country had an AA spot or their nation didn't already have a team)

COOL!

THEN we have 4 spots of the Apparatus World Cup series(This is also the point where I realise I may have bitten off a lot more than I can chew lmao). So the Apparatus World Cup series were a bunch of competitions where ANY nation could send an athlete(although the athlete could NOT be part of the team that helped qualify them to the Olympics). At the apparatus WC you gained points based on where you placed 1-8(So 30 points if you came first). The goal was to do multiple World Cups and get to 90 points(If there was a tie I think it came down to E score). But if in the end you got the most points in each event, the spot was yours! BUT HERES THE THING. If you earn an individual spot this way and your team also qualified it is YOUR SPOT TO LOSE.

EXAMPLE. Even though it's not official yet Jade Carey has mathematically won Vault. So she gets a spot. BUT if she gets chosen to be on the team, or gets injured, her spot will NOT go to another member of team USA, it will go to whoever came 2nd points wise at the Apparatus World cup. This isn't an extra individual spot earned by a nation who already qualified a team.

YES IT GETS MORE COMPLICATED.

So 3 top teams could get an individual spot based on the AA individual world cup series(Like American Cup, Stuttgart World cup and so on) in the same point based manner as the apparatus world cup. Because only American cup was the only AA world cup to happened in 2020 USA, Russia and China got those spots because they were the top 3 at that event. Those spots go to the COUNTRY. So Morgan won American cup, but the spot can be given to any US woman. And if say the spot was given to Suni, but she got injured, team USA can replace her with another US woman.

BUT HOLD ON THERE ARE STILL MORE SPOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we also have continental championships!(So European Championships, Asian Championships, Oceania Championships, African Championships and Pan Ams) The top 2 athletes in qualification/top 1 for Oceania Championships now get a spot. But here's the thing......... let's use Euros as an example of what top two means. The top looked like this:

1. Angelina Melnikova 55.991
2. Viktoria Listunova 55.465
3. Vladislava Urazova 55.299
4. Larisa Iordache 54.698
5. Martina Maggio 54.398
6. Amelie Morgan 54.032

So what does that mean? It means Melnikova was part of the 2018 world championships team that earned a berth to Tokyo, so her score doesn't count as far as Olympic qualifications go. Because Listinova was NOT part of that team she earns an extra spot for RUSSIA, not an individual spot for herself(So Russia can send whoever in that spot). Now because you can only get one spot per nation we also don't count Urazova's score, so the next person to get a spot is Larisa. BUT because Romania didn't qualify as a team, the spot is her's and hes alone. So if she got injured, it means her spot now goes jumps over Martina, because she was part of team Italy in 2019 and helped them qualify over to Amelie Morgan. Now because she was NOT part of the 2019 GB team who helped qualify them to Tokyo, she earns GB a spot in the same way Lustinova earned Russia a spot.

And then you have one spot that goes to an underrepresented nation.

+So all in all if you qualify as a team, you can also have up to 2 individual spots. If you don't qualify as a team there are multiple ways to get multiple people sent.

*+Above I was talking about the spots earned in EF at world in 2019. And I also mentioned that countries that didn't qualify as a team can send multiple individuals(I THINK the max is 7). Here is a perfect example. On the MAG side Turkey is sending 4 individuals BUT they have no team because they didn't qualify high enough in the team competition. But 2 of their athletes made in into the top 8 in event finals, and another qualified in the AA. Then they added a fourth individual a couple weeks ago at the African Championships.

IF YOU THINK THIS IS CONFUSING AND DUMB, IT'S BECAUSE IT'S CONFUSING AND DUMB. Now I have to copy this, because I swear to god if this doesn't post and I lose it, I will scream.

Ports and Slims

Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
Oh God no. The Individual process is a mess.

deep breath

So there are 50 individual spots total.

The first 20 spots went the the top 20 athletes(1 per country) in the AA during world qualification 2019. BUT you could only earn this spot IF your team didn't earn a place.

*Then, the next 12 spots went to anyone who's team again hadn't qualified, but they made it into an event final. You could qualify 3 individuals per nation this way. And to show you how this played out Yeo Seo-jeong of South Korea was the ONLY woman who qualified this way via vault because everyone else in EF's with was part of a qualifying team, or they qualified in AA.

So now you are probably like, but if no one else qualified through event finals where do we get the other athletes? Any of those remaining spots(in WAG's case there were 11) they go BACK to the AA scores and the 11 people who qualified 21-32 in the pool of athletes who's team's didn't qualify/didn't have an AA spot already taken by someone from their nation now qualify.

Then we have a host country spot. This spot is an automatic spot for an individual from Japan IF Japan didn't qualify as a team. Because they did, the host spot now goes to whoever finished 33rd in the AA(again so long as no one else from their country had an AA spot or their nation didn't already have a team)

COOL!

THEN we have 4 spots of the Apparatus World Cup series(This is also the point where I realise I may have bitten off a lot more than I can chew lmao). So the Apparatus World Cup series were a bunch of competitions where ANY nation could send an athlete(although the athlete could NOT be part of the team that helped qualify them to the Olympics). At the apparatus WC you gained points based on where you placed 1-8(So 30 points if you came first). The goal was to do multiple World Cups and get to 90 points(If there was a tie I think it came down to E score). But if in the end you got the most points in each event, the spot was yours! BUT HERES THE THING. If you earn an individual spot this way and your team also qualified it is YOUR SPOT TO LOSE.

EXAMPLE. Even though it's not official yet Jade Carey has mathematically won Vault. So she gets a spot. BUT if she gets chosen to be on the team, or gets injured, her spot will NOT go to another member of team USA, it will go to whoever came 2nd points wise at the Apparatus World cup. This isn't an extra individual spot earned by a nation who already qualified a team.

YES IT GETS MORE COMPLICATED.

So 3 top teams could get an individual spot based on the AA individual world cup series(Like American Cup, Stuttgart World cup and so on) in the same point based manner as the apparatus world cup. Because only American cup was the only AA world cup to happened in 2020 USA, Russia and China got those spots because they were the top 3 at that event. Those spots go to the COUNTRY. So Morgan won American cup, but the spot can be given to any US woman. And if say the spot was given to Suni, but she got injured, team USA can replace her with another US woman.

BUT HOLD ON THERE ARE STILL MORE SPOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So we also have continental championships!(So European Championships, Asian Championships, Oceania Championships, African Championships and Pan Ams) The top 2 athletes in qualification/top 1 for Oceania Championships now get a spot. But here's the thing......... let's use Euros as an example of what top two means. The top looked like this:

1. Angelina Melnikova 55.991
2. Viktoria Listunova 55.465
3. Vladislava Urazova 55.299
4. Larisa Iordache 54.698
5. Martina Maggio 54.398
6. Amelie Morgan 54.032

So what does that mean? It means Melnikova was part of the 2018 world championships team that earned a berth to Tokyo, so her score doesn't count as far as Olympic qualifications go. Because Listinova was NOT part of that team she earns an extra spot for RUSSIA, not an individual spot for herself(So Russia can send whoever in that spot). Now because you can only get one spot per nation we also don't count Urazova's score, so the next person to get a spot is Larisa. BUT because Romania didn't qualify as a team, the spot is her's and hes alone. So if she got injured, it means her spot now goes jumps over Martina, because she was part of team Italy in 2019 and helped them qualify over to Amelie Morgan. Now because she was NOT part of the 2019 GB team who helped qualify them to Tokyo, she earns GB a spot in the same way Lustinova earned Russia a spot.

And then you have one spot that goes to an underrepresented nation.

+So all in all if you qualify as a team, you can also have up to 2 individual spots. If you don't qualify as a team there are multiple ways to get multiple people sent.

*+Above I was talking about the spots earned in EF at world in 2019. And I also mentioned that countries that didn't qualify as a team can send multiple individuals(I THINK the max is 7). Here is a perfect example. On the MAG side Turkey is sending 4 individuals BUT they have no team because they didn't qualify high enough in the team competition. But 2 of their athletes made in into the top 8 in event finals, and another qualified in the AA. Then they added a fourth individual a couple weeks ago at the African Championships.

IF YOU THINK THIS IS CONFUSING AND DUMB, IT'S BECAUSE IT'S CONFUSING AND DUMB. Now I have to copy this, because I swear to god if this doesn't post and I lose it, I will scream.

BLESS YOU FOR YOUR WORK!!!! That deep breath at the beginning is well needed. I cannot tell you how many times I've read "Jade mathematically qualified for an individual spot" and did my own research and still didn't have much clarity. It was very confusing but not fault of yours. Wow, thank you for explaining.

I have another question that I'm scared to ask because you've been so gracious and informative that your brain is probably fried, so anyone else can jump in....how does Russia's doping ban affect them having the team/individual spots? Since they aren't representing Russia and are being "neutral athletes," it seems like they wouldn't be able to qualify a team at all and just individual spots

JimmyJamHarris

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,076 717 403
Alleybux
Jade is scaring me with this landing. I hope she can nail it this weekend. I know she is hoping to make the team and forfeit her individual spot, buy this looks dangerous and not worth the risk. Best of luck to her though

Regarding eponymous skills, if Lorraine and Jordan are both training the same skill and submits them during the same competition, how does FIG decide to credit it to?

I am very proud of Jade- her grit, tenacity, and innovation are greatly appreciated. She is an amazingly impressive gymnast. That being said, I hope she doesn't compete this at Nationals. I hope she saves it for trials and I think she will. The technique and form are just not there right now. She doesn't have enough air time get the both saltos around with three twists properly just yet. Her upper body strength and roundoff backhand spring technique are good enough for her to launch herself into the air and compete most skills, but the technique isn't good enough to allow her to do it with great form consistently. That's why she incurs deductions more often with the skills she already competes.

Here's a better look at it. Her roundoff is soft and her back handspring is crunchy due to her arms being too far apart. She has to rely mostly on a push from her hands and forearm instead of her arms and core to pull her legs over her head. In other words it looks like she's doing a pushup. That makes it harder for her to reach the handstand position and land vertically to set the layout triple double properly. She never really achieves the tight and hallow arch necessary to land vertically after the handspring. It's nearly impossible to fix once a person has formed the habit. It requires extensive drills.

Edit: But like the moors, the more she competes it the more laid out it will become. The first two times she competed the double twisting double layout she had major form issues. After that, she found her groove and improved the pike in the hips and soft knees. She probably just needs more practice. This was also the first time she's done it on podium.

Last edited:

CatofAragon

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
323 13
Alleybux
BLESS YOU FOR YOUR WORK!!!! That deep breath at the beginning is well needed. I cannot tell you how many times I've read "Jade mathematically qualified for an individual spot" and did my own research and still didn't have much clarity. It was very confusing but not fault of yours. Wow, thank you for explaining.

I have another question that I'm scared to ask because you've been so gracious and informative that your brain is probably fried, so anyone else can jump in....how does Russia's doping ban affect them having the team/individual spots? Since they aren't representing Russia and are being "neutral athletes," it seems like they wouldn't be able to qualify a team at all and just individual spots
Don't be, this is an easy one! lol

This wasn't your question, but I didn't fully address this in my essay, but people say "Jade mathematically qualified" because according to her scores she has the most points BUT because of COVID, FIG hasn't officially said who won those spots.

As for the doping stuff. If you don't have a history of doping, you are allowed to compete. But as punishment to all the federations, you just don't get to compete under your flag, and Russian government officials are not allowed to come. So in 2018 at the Winter Olympics Russia was there as a team, but they were referred to as "Olympic athletes from Russia". It meant that their uniforms didn't have the flag or any real indication they were from Russia, and when they won gold, the Olympic Flag and the Olympic anthem were raised and played.

TL;DR They are still there as a team, but they don't have the honour of officially representing their country.

musicbox93

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,401 161 17
Alleybux
@musicbox93 Did you know Marvin Kimble retired? I'm just hearing...
I just read that the other day on Reddit I think. Sad. I don't know if he was going through a lot of injuries or what. I feel like he could have had a chance with the events he was strong on. I hope Donnell is doing well and is back to his best because he is needed.

That's awesome to see Jade do a triple double on the actual floor! I would like her to get it named after her. Maybe at a world cup, though, or if she takes her individual Olympic spot. I agree her landing with her chest down probably means it isn't ready. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but haven't we seen Jade playing around with this skill before? I seem to remember both her and MyKayla training triple doubles right after Simone debuted hers in competition. MyKayla was training one off bars, right? Of course it was exciting to see Jade do it on an actual floor apparatus, though.

JimmyJamHarris

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,076 717 403
Alleybux
I just read that the other day on Reddit I think. Sad. I don't know if he was going through a lot of injuries or what. I feel like he could have had a chance with the events he was strong on. I hope Donnell is doing well and is back to his best because he is needed.

That's awesome to see Jade do a triple double on the actual floor! I would like her to get it named after her. Maybe at a world cup, though, or if she takes her individual Olympic spot. I agree her landing with her chest down probably means it isn't ready. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but haven't we seen Jade playing around with this skill before? I seem to remember both her and MyKayla training triple doubles right after Simone debuted hers in competition. MyKayla was training one off bars, right? Of course it was exciting to see Jade do it on an actual floor apparatus, though.

Marvin said “I feel like I had a lot left. But the wrist wouldn't hold up. I can contribute in some way, so I'm still trying to figure out how to do that or transition into that" back in the beginning of the year. He says he has a broken bone in his wrist that just moves around when it wants :oops: I'm sure that was a factor in his decision. If it was bothering him, he couldn't have surgery if he wanted to be well in time for trials. I'm going to miss him and his gymnastics, but I'm also concerned about Donnell right now. Those two seemed to really be each other's support. I'm sure they're cool with the other gymnasts, but those two understood each other in a way the other gymnasts cannot. Donnell has been outspoken about the racial bias that plagues men's gymnastics.

Both Jade and Mykayla uploaded videos of themselves training the Biles II, the tucked triple double. Both Jade and Mykayla also uploaded videos of themselves training a triple double off bars, but I believe they were both into the pit. I know for sure that Jade's bars dismount was into the pit. Jade never showed us the laid out triple double until yesterday. When Jade uploaded the tucked triple double on floor she captioned it "almost ready." Some of us assumed(and hoped) she'd lay it out because her loose tuck would incur deductions. After seeing the layout, she would be better off doing the Biles II and taking minor form deductions in comparison to her potential eponymous skill. She did the layout twice at practice the other day and the second was definitely better than the first, but she'll still incur at least a full point in deductions for it. That execution would take her final score down to what she'd probably have with a Biles II. Not to mention the repeated bad landings will wreak havoc on her knees and ankles.

JimmyJamHarris

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,076 717 403
Alleybux
Always happy to see Larisa. I’m glad she qualified to the Olympics. I wish her all the best.

Also, her return to competition is still fairly recent but she has the second highest d score in the world so far(China doesn’t really publish theirs.) Highly impressive.

Ports and Slims

Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
Does anyone know how the timing of eponymous skills work? Suppose 2 different gymnasts are training the same skill and submit it at the same time (like Jordan and Lorraine with the Dos Santos 1/2)...how does the FIG determine who gets the name credit if it's done at the same time and the same competition?

AngelicaPickles

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
257,937 18,337 2,704
Alleybux
I am very proud of Jade- her grit, tenacity, and innovation are greatly appreciated. She is an amazingly impressive gymnast. That being said, I hope she doesn't compete this at Nationals. I hope she saves it for trials and I think she will. The technique and form are just not there right now. She doesn't have enough air time get the both saltos around with three twists properly just yet. Her upper body strength and roundoff backhand spring technique are good enough for her to launch herself into the air and compete most skills, but the technique isn't good enough to allow her to do it with great form consistently. That's why she incurs deductions more often with the skills she already competes.

Here's a better look at it. Her roundoff is soft and her back handspring is crunchy due to her arms being too far apart. She has to rely mostly on a push from her hands and forearm instead of her arms and core to pull her legs over her head. In other words it looks like she's doing a pushup. That makes it harder for her to reach the handstand position and land vertically to set the layout triple double properly. She never really achieves the tight and hallow arch necessary to land vertically after the handspring. It's nearly impossible to fix once a person has formed the habit. It requires extensive drills.

Edit: But like the moors, the more she competes it the more laid out it will become. The first two times she competed the double twisting double layout she had major form issues. After that, she found her groove and improved the pike in the hips and soft knees. She probably just needs more practice. This was also the first time she's done it on podium.

My knees hurt watching this. Looks like an accident waiting to happen.

CatofAragon

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
323 13
Alleybux
Does anyone know how the timing of eponymous skills work? Suppose 2 different gymnasts are training the same skill and submit it at the same time (like Jordan and Lorraine with the Dos Santos 1/2)...how does the FIG determine who gets the name credit if it's done at the same time and the same competition?
They both get it named after them. The Derwael-Fenton is an example of this. Both Nina Derwael and Georgia-Mae Fenton competed the skill at worlds in 2017.

quiet summer

warm nights
Reaction score
Reactions
13,962 220 29
Alleybux
I forgot that this thread was here and active! I'm excited for the Championships this weekend. It's crazy to see how much Jordan has changed from a few years ago. Now she's on more people's lists for the team. Right now my team is: Simone, Suni, Jordan, ____. I'm leaving the four spot blank because I don't know who else should be there.

How you guys feel about Jade possibly trying to go for a team spot? Some are saying it's selfish. As long as Jordan ends up on the team, I don't care that much. I think it's a little bit much that's going for a team spot when she's technically already qualified for her spot.

Also, was surprised to hear about Konnor but I also wasn't. She's made it clear that she was always gunning for Toyko and if the pandemic didn't happen she wouldn't have been to try for it anyway. Her being at WOGA is a little scary. This is going to prove whether or not Valeri has changed as a coach. Konnor is super talented so I hope she'll be able to stick it out until 2024.

Ports and Slims

Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
They both get it named after them. The Derwael-Fenton is an example of this. Both Nina Derwael and Georgia-Mae Fenton competed the skill at worlds in 2017.

This is the only one I know of that has split names so I wasn't sure. When I first heard of it, I thought "that's an interesting last name" and then I realized it was for 2 gymnasts.

I have also seen times where gymnasts have lost eponymous skill credit arbitrarily like the Reitz or Tuzhikova, times where gymnasts are credited with skills they didn't actually do (more frequent in the past) so I wasn't sure if they just pick and choose or what really happens. If they split it, then I guess it's a toss up of which name is first lol. I think it sounds good both ways "Oliviera Chiles" or "Chiles Oliviera"

musicbox93

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,401 161 17
Alleybux
Anyone like watching men's gymnastics? The 1st day of the U.S men's national championships is on the Olympic Channel right now.

2021 U.S. Gymnastics Championships Broadcast Schedule

DayTime (ET)NetworkCompetition
Thursday8 p.m.Olympic Channel | STREAM LINKMen Day 1
10:30 p.m.-1 a.m.*NBCSN | STREAM LINKMen Day 1
Friday8-10 p.m.NBCSN | STREAM LINKWomen Day 1
Saturday8-10:30 p.m.NBCSN | STREAM LINKMen Day 2
Sunday2-3 p.m.*NBC | STREAM LINKMen Day 2
7-9 p.m.NBC | STREAM LINKWomen Day 2

CatofAragon

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
323 13
Alleybux
This is the only one I know of that has split names so I wasn't sure. When I first heard of it, I thought "that's an interesting last name" and then I realized it was for 2 gymnasts.

I have also seen times where gymnasts have lost eponymous skill credit arbitrarily like the Reitz or Tuzhikova, times where gymnasts are credited with skills they didn't actually do (more frequent in the past) so I wasn't sure if they just pick and choose or what really happens. If they split it, then I guess it's a toss up of which name is first lol. I think it sounds good both ways "Oliviera Chiles" or "Chiles Oliviera"
It would be Chiles-Oliveira. Pretty sure they do it alphabetically lol.

That being said if Lorrane competes the Dos Santos 1/2 at ant point at all over the next few days during Pan Ams, it will only be named after her. As you can now get skills named after you at continential championships, world cups, and Junior Olympics.

JimmyJamHarris

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,076 717 403
Alleybux
This is one of the most beautiful piece of gymnastics I've seen in a still image. The form is impecable. She is a gift <3

1622779252180.png

Andrade is officially back! This is STUNNING! Hands down one of the best DTY I've ever seen.

I'm nervous for her. I'm so happy to see her, but I am very afraid for those ankles.

musicbox93

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
10,401 161 17
Alleybux
So what was the other competition they just had?
The U.S. Classic. It is a lesser national competition used as a way to qualify athletes to the national championships. Certain athletes (like world team members) are usually already prequalified, but lower ranked or non ranked athletes have to qualify. For those who are qualified already, they use the meet as a tune up to Nationals.

JimmyJamHarris

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,076 717 403
Alleybux
Oh, so we're STICKING triple doubles now?? That pass is one of the best things I've ever seen.

Revised: an additional .2 penalty was added to simone's routine. It's still .2 short though. Apparently, something similar happened with Mykayla.

Previous: Simone was out of bounds on 3/4 passes and only received a .3 NPD. Shouldn't it have been like .7? That 14.85 should've been around a 14.82 or 14.81 IMO. It was till the highest score of the day by a mile, but let's be accurate.

Scores were all over the place as usual though. Simone's floor score wasn't the only judging mistake, but it was certainly the most egregious.

This cheng went 9.8, but it was a perfect in my heart. Absolutely STUNNING!! I'm glad she fixed her weird block from worlds 2019. It was quite bad and she kept landing out of bounds or on the line.

Last edited:

JimmyJamHarris

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
39,076 717 403
Alleybux
Jade is looking phenomenal on bars. I'm not sure what was going on with her floor today, but bars was fantastic. I love seeing her improvement. She also broke 55!

Jordan and her chuso :sob:
This is very bad camera angle though

"state of the art" Suni has made a roaring comeback. She's still our 2nd best AA.

Somehow, Chellsie's block is 110% better now that she's older. She is on fire.

Ports and Slims

Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
Oh, so we're STICKING triple doubles now?? That pass is one of the best things I've ever seen.

Revised: an additional .2 penalty was added to simone's routine. It's still .2 short though. Apparently, something similar happened with Mykayla.

Side note: Simone was out of bounds on 3/4 passes and only received a .3 NPD. Shouldn't it have been like .7? That 14.85 should've been around a 14.82 or 14.81 IMO. It was till the highest score of the day by a mile, but let's be accurate.

Scores were all over the place as usual though. Simone's floor score wasn't the only judging mistake, but it was certainly the most egregious.

This cheng went 9.8, but it was a perfect in my heart. Absolutely STUNNING!! I'm glad she fixed her weird block from worlds 2019. It was quite bad and she kept landing out of bounds or on the line.

The underscoring reminds me of Tim Dagget's reporting style

Any non-Simone Biles gymnast who has a piece of dead skin from their pinky toe that goes out of bounds: "OMG, that was a disaster. That'll be a deduction!"

Simone Biles has an entire foot out of bounds repeatedly: "that routine was honestly perfection!" :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

On her vault, is that considered a stick? I mean she stayed in place but there was a little bounce even though her body didn't move. I wonder if that's where the .2 deduction came from?

Also, when you say NPD you mean neutral deductions right? Execution errors like feet going out of bounds would be regular deductions and not NPD, right?

Ports and Slims

Reaction score
Reactions
150,153 1,404 530
Alleybux
Jade is looking phenomenal on bars. I'm not sure what was going on with her floor today, but bars was fantastic. I love seeing her improvement. She also broke 55!

Jordan and her chuso :sob:
This is very bad camera angle though

"state of the art" Suni has made a roaring comeback. She's still our 2nd best AA.

Somehow, Chellsie's block is 110% better now that she's older. She is on fire.

Jade's routine looks really good but in her first release and combination, the second move at 0:07 (I don't know the names, sorryyyyy) looked so low and it made me nervous. She almost had a little hiccup when she did the handstand out of the transition but I'm so glad she fought for it and stayed in the game. That was most impressive to me. She didn't let that affect the rest of the routine

Love Jordan and Suni and I think they will both be at Tokyo. I really do.

I didn't get all the Chellsie comeback hype on YT a few months back (Shawn was my hands down fave for the years leading up to 08) buuuuuuut, watching the 03 Worlds and seeing how a 15 year old Chellsie came through in the clutch after Team USA had injury and illness after injury and illness to help us get our first team gold and on US soil at that was pretty awesome. She was supposed to be at 04 Olympics but atayed in shape and made it to 08 instead. She was really good back then and is still really good now. I have always been proud of her for even attempting a comeback at her age and with kids but just knowing how talented she was back then and knowing she has only started back training less than a year ago has really given me a newfound respect and admiration for her. Now I sincerely get the hype

While not everyone is in the position that Jade and Chellsie (and Nastia in the past) are in, I think they are all textbook examples of why having a good coach who cares about you is important. Granted, not everyone can have their dad as a coach but being that gymnastics is their career, the coach/boss has to mesh well with the gymnast/employee or it simply won't be good for their mental health or physical abilities. Spending 40-50+ hours a week with someone who only views you as a machine and not a person spells out disaster. I really think Gabby switching from Chow hurt her in 2016 (on top of them all dealing with xesual abuse); she is a cautionary tale example.

Last edited: