Quantcast

Official Hip-Hop Debate Thread

ChocoLatte

Cosplay gangsters. Fake azz accents.
Reaction score
Reactions
56,897 698 521
Alleybux
I said I was gonna start this thread, so here it is. This is a spin-off from the Jay-Z thread. I saw a lot of real hip-hop heads in there with great opinions. Let's debate all things hip-hop here. Let's keep it clean tho and respect each other's opinions. Tag those who may want to contribute.

Ok first topic....who would you consider the most overrated rapper of all time? Imo, Eminem is. Dude is aight but not worth all the hype he got over all these years. I tried to give him a listen when he first came out but I just couldn't get into him. There are tons of other rappers who deserved the shine he got but he had a machine behind him (Dre).

ChocoLatte

Reaction score
Reactions
56,897 698 521
Alleybux
[MENTION=133934]redmoney[/MENTION] [MENTION=185679]Brown Eyed Chic[/MENTION] [MENTION=161930]missthugEfresh[/MENTION] [MENTION=139826]boogie79[/MENTION] [MENTION=165792]L A V A[/MENTION] [MENTION=154570]Walking[/MENTION]paradox [MENTION=119145]Stepmama[/MENTION] [MENTION=183645]WESTCOAST CLEO[/MENTION] [MENTION=119163]Lanacane[/MENTION] [MENTION=34634]apples[/MENTION] [MENTION=100848]Angemon[/MENTION] [MENTION=60835]Sucka Free[/MENTION] [MENTION=108224]169[/MENTION] [MENTION=10013]RedHawt[/MENTION] [MENTION=173425]NikWaswritten[/MENTION] [MENTION=1805]DivineDiva[/MENTION] [MENTION=77254]....Soul....[/MENTION] [MENTION=13575]karyn[/MENTION] [MENTION=115545]FoxxyFire[/MENTION] [MENTION=70702]Marge[/MENTION] [MENTION=119939]Lucky Luciano[/MENTION]

havelock

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
133,437 4,137 2,794
Alleybux
Eminem might have gotten lazy but he is still one of the most talented rappers ever

Kendrick Lamar is the best rapper alive right now

Drake has become redundant

I give J cole props on his latest album, but dude is still boring

If everyone was honest with themselves, they would admit that nas lost

Mellie York

Ignorance is Bliss.
Reaction score
Reactions
495,603 18,050 3,371
Alleybux
Let's get this started, so:

J.Cole has to be put in the top 20 rappers to ever do it.... :arrogant:

Afrelle

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
35,205 1,130 268
Alleybux
Can someone provide a list of criteria and or checklist of what make a great rapper?

Mellie York

Ignorance is Bliss.
Reaction score
Reactions
495,603 18,050 3,371
Alleybux
Before this thread get long and her name get forgotten, but my girl Kim... One of the female rappers to grace the mic and her legendary status is stamp and seal!!

boogie79

Bring my own fire, don't need security in the club
Reaction score
Reactions
88,522 1,691 131
Alleybux
Before this thread get long and her name get forgotten, but my girl Kim... One of the female rappers to grace the mic and her legendary status is stamp and seal!!

Love Kim, also waiting on Remy Ma as well. I know she don't have many hits but her verses were banging.

boogie79

Reaction score
Reactions
88,522 1,691 131
Alleybux
I'll give Eminem his props, he's a beast. What I don't like is how he disses people that can't diss back. He never goes after rappers (nah that Ja Rule stuff don't really count in my book).

Desert Rose

Female Hustler
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
263,298 3,041 1,502
Alleybux
Em is not overrated. His songs may not be my cup of tea but i can give credit where due. Em is a damn beast.

The "machine" behind him is simply white privilege. White people support their artist which is why they move huge numbers.

burgerqueen

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
443 3 2
Alleybux
Andre 3000 is one of the best rappers. He lights up any track he's on.

NikWaswritten

Rip Nip
Reaction score
Reactions
22,983 731 373
Alleybux
Jay z is overrated as fµck to me. Em is a dope rapper, dude is sick with the bars. My only thing with Em is that he still raps for shock value

Big K.R.I.T is one of the best rappers of the new school

Love Kendrick but i think Ab-Soul is a better rapper then him

Joey bada$$ is damn near top tear

Mellie York

Ignorance is Bliss.
Reaction score
Reactions
495,603 18,050 3,371
Alleybux
Love Kim, also waiting on Remy Ma as well. I know she don't have many hits but her verses were banging.

I didn't really get into Remy( sadly because I from NY), but I'm going to check out her mixtapes later on when I'm writing my paper... Which ones would you recommend?

trillataste

Don Dada
Reaction score
Reactions
135,982 4,264 1,884
Alleybux
I agree, eminen is overrated. In fact, if he was black he'd be relegated to canibus status right now. He's possibly top 25 but he's definitely not top five and I've noticed an agenda happening where people are just basically trying to force everyone to put him in their top five and force us to name him a/the GOAT when he just ain't one. I feel like when whites write history they gonna name him.

Kendrick Lamar is not that good in fact he's average as hell. Anytime ****** come to me on that "Kendrick is top five" or "the voice of our generation" I just store them under bandwagonist and keep it moving. It is what it is.

jcole is a good rapper but he's boring and doesn't really have much redeeming qualities, in a way I think he holds back a lot because of the conscious anti-capitalist Schtick that he tries to push which I think is weird being that his career is literally capitalism personified. I think instead of being anti capitalism he should try to push pro- black economics it would make more sense.

drake ain't a legend or a goat yet but the dude knows how to write a tune can't be mad at that.

Asap rocky is underrated. He knows how to write a tune, he doesn't strike me as pretentious and he came in with his own swag and put on his whole team. Maybe I'm biased cause he strikes me as Harlem ***** ish and I usually get along with dudes like that.

Even though I don't fµck with jay z like that I don't think he's lyrically overrated, the mfer is witty as fµck. I don't think he's the BEST rapper ever or nothing (far from it) but I can respect It when ppl say he's one of the greatest rappers (minus the biggie dick suck).

these are the only people that I can think of whose music is polarizing enough for people to think either their whack or goats.

Brown Eyed Chic

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
49 1
Alleybux
Jay z is overrated as fµck to me. Em is a dope rapper, dude is sick with the bars. My only thing with Em is that he still raps for shock value

Big K.R.I.T is one of the best rappers of the new school

Love Kendrick but i think Ab-Soul is a better rapper then him

Joey bada$$ is damn near top tear

I agree with this. And just to add to the "Jay is not that lyrical" point: Em ate Jay up on "Renegade". Ate him up.

[video=youtube;AWVR7N0FR0k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWVR7N0FR0k[/video]

trillataste

Don Dada
Reaction score
Reactions
135,982 4,264 1,884
Alleybux

Jean grae is amazing too, I think she's slept on solely because there isn't any real market for 'conscious' black FEMALE rappers anymore. People love to get wrapped up in nostalgic bliss about Lauryn hill while ignoring the plethora of other female rappers who are conscious and lyrical as well. I think vladtv even named her after Fergie in one of their bµllsh!t female rapper lists.

NikWaswritten

Rip Nip
Reaction score
Reactions
22,983 731 373
Alleybux
Asap rocky is underrated. He knows how to write a tune, he doesn't strike me as pretentious and he came in with his own swag and put on his whole team. Maybe I'm biased cause he strikes me as Harlem ***** ish and I usually get along with dudes like that.

Im hoping with this next album Rocky KILLS IT. If we ignore his fashion rap sh!t, Rocky is hella clever, and has a dope flow

trillataste

Don Dada
Reaction score
Reactions
135,982 4,264 1,884
Alleybux
Im hopping with this next album Rocky KILLS IT. If we ignore his fashion rap sh!t, Rocky is hella clever, and has a dope flow

Word, minus that funnystyle sh!t he said about DS women and red lipstick I think the dude is a decent artist and from what I've listened to his mixtapes/albums always deliver. Not gonna lie though a lot of it has to do with his beats, I think someone in the ASAP crew makes them for him right? But yeah he's clever and has a dope flow I agree.

boogie79

Reaction score
Reactions
88,522 1,691 131
Alleybux
I didn't really get into Remy( sadly because I from NY), but I'm going to check out her mixtapes later on when I'm writing my paper... Which ones would you recommend?

I can't think of titles offhand (currently at work), but anything from her Terror Squad days were hit. I lowkey wish her and Brat would collab but don't see it happening cause it looks like Brat isn't doing anything but putting out freestyles here and there.

boogie79

Reaction score
Reactions
88,522 1,691 131
Alleybux
Jean grae is amazing too, I think she's slept on solely because there isn't any real market for 'conscious' black FEMALE rappers anymore. People love to get wrapped up in nostalgic bliss about Lauryn hill while ignoring the plethora of other female rappers who are conscious and lyrical as well. I think vladtv even named her after Fergie in one of their bµllsh!t female rapper lists.

I forgot about Jean Grae, I remember her from HiphopDX, they used to feature her a lot.

NikWaswritten

Rip Nip
Reaction score
Reactions
22,983 731 373
Alleybux
Word, minus that funnystyle sh!t he said about DS women and red lipstick I think the dude is a decent artist and from what I've listened to his mixtapes/albums always deliver. Not gonna lie though a lot of it has to do with his beats, I think someone in the ASAP crew makes them for him right? But yeah he's clever and has a dope flow I agree.

Yea Ty beats, but its been a min since the mixtape. I mean i don't think Rocky solely relies on the production, but it does play a big part. As much of a douche bag he can be...his personality is also likable. At least to me

trillataste

Don Dada
Reaction score
Reactions
135,982 4,264 1,884
Alleybux
Yea Ty beats, but its been a min since the mixtape. I mean i don't think Rocky solely relies on the production, but it does play a big part. As much of a douche bag he can be...his personality is also likable. At least to me

Nah he definitely doesn't rely on production, I meant to say that his lyrics coupled with his choice of beats and production are always good. That's just more so his good taste in beats and an ear for music. Yeah I kinda marked him off at one point but the dude is likeable in a cocky harlem dude kinda way.

NikWaswritten

Rip Nip
Reaction score
Reactions
22,983 731 373
Alleybux
Nah he definitely doesn't rely on production, I meant to say that his lyrics coupled with his choice of beats and production are always good. That's just more so his good taste in beats and an ear for music. Yeah I kinda marked him off at one point but the dude is likeable in a cocky harlem dude kinda way.

Low key that's what drew me to him. His cocky, i'mma pretty muthafucka foolishness lol. I liked that he was so sure of himself because it shows in his music. At first i was a bit hesitant because of the whole southern sound. We have enough New Yorks rappers trying to sound like the south, but he does it well and still reps his city.

swphilaplayboy

underrated
Reaction score
Reactions
3,698 262 884
Alleybux
The most overrated rapper is Jay-Z...ppl bring up his business moves when discussing his actual musical talent...and I feel like he stole the style of philly rappers and tried to claim it as his own, which propelled him to even greater stardom & gave him more credibility...most of his top songs have someone singing on the hook...I Just Wanna Luv U (Pharrell), Empire State of Mind (A Keys), Hol Grail (JT)...and the list goes on & on...he made good albums but he's still overrated in my book (yes you can be a good rapper and still be overrated)

NikWaswritten

Rip Nip
Reaction score
Reactions
22,983 731 373
Alleybux
The most overrated rapper is Jay-Z...ppl bring up his business moves when discussing his actual musical talent...and I feel like he stole the style of philly rappers and tried to claim it as his own, which propelled him to even greater stardom & gave him more credibility...most of his top songs have someone singing on the hook...I Just Wanna Luv U (Pharrell), Empire State of Mind (A Keys), Hol Grail (JT)...and the list goes on & on...he made good albums but he's still overrated in my book (yes you can be a good rapper and still be overrated)

Finally someone with sense

latest

ChocoLatte

Reaction score
Reactions
56,897 698 521
Alleybux

Yea well I already went in on his ass yesterday so there was no point in me listing him again. I've never been a fan of his. He has some bangers that I would nod my head to back in the day but overall, I can't fµck with him.

ChocoLatte

Reaction score
Reactions
56,897 698 521
Alleybux
Eminem might have gotten lazy but he is still one of the most talented rappers ever

Kendrick Lamar is the best rapper alive right now

Drake has become redundant

I give J cole props on his latest album, but dude is still boring

If everyone was honest with themselves, they would admit that nas lost

Sis when that ***** signed to Def Jam under Jay-Z I was just like BRUH!! Why the fµck would he do that, he demolished this ***** on Ether and then you turn around and sign under him?? Like wtf?? But I love me some Nasty Nas, he does not get the props that he truly deserves. He literally paints a picture with his rhymes.

Em is not overrated. His songs may not be my cup of tea but i can give credit where due. Em is a damn beast.

The "machine" behind him is simply white privilege. White people support their artist which is why they move huge numbers.

Like another font in here said, if Em were black, he would be just another face in a sea of many. He's not garbage, he's aight in my book, but he's just very overrated to me.

MelloFello

Black On Both Sides
Reaction score
Reactions
72,365 927 159
Alleybux
- Eminem hit at the right time in Hip Hop, with Dre backing him it was a profitable move, A white guy in a black dominated genre and raps controversial and for shock value...Money in the Bank, Dre knew exactly what he was doing.

- Kendrick Lamar is talented, like his music, but another rapper in Cali name Fashawn is also talented and underrated, would like to see him get some shine.

- Overrated Rapper: T.I., never got the hype and never understood why so many rode for this guy...And this is way before he became a tap dancer and the Iggy situation.

- I saw in the Jay thread a font talk bad about Common, Big Boi of Outkast and Jadakiss and they must be smoking crack, because these guys are nice. Jada is dangerous with his flow, A lot of people sleep on Big Boi cause Andre brings the heat, but Big Boi is tight also...I'm a fan of Outkast as a whole group, not just one rapper.

- Sad, but.........Talented Femcees like Sa-Roc and Jean Grae might not see mainstream success because they are talking about something, Proud black women rapping about issues of black people and this bµllsh!t system, how can you deny that?

Desert Rose

Female Hustler
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
263,298 3,041 1,502
Alleybux
Sis when that ***** signed to Def Jam under Jay-Z I was just like BRUH!! Why the fµck would he do that, he demolished this ***** on Ether and then you turn around and sign under him?? Like wtf?? But I love me some Nasty Nas, he does not get the props that he truly deserves. He literally paints a picture with his rhymes.

Like another font in here said, if Em were black, he would be just another face in a sea of many. He's not garbage, he's aight in my book, but he's just very overrated to me.

Yes, he would be just another face not because of his talent but because we don't support our talent the way whites do. EM was able to appeal to white, black, Asian, and Mexicans. And all these different folks have no problem with spending $10 on his silly cd's.

Its Whatever
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux

All of this but especially the bolded. Nobody can tell a story with their ryhmes better than Nas.

[video=youtube;J3Sd2gDkSV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Sd2gDkSV8[/video]

The description says it all.
A clever song by Nas. He raps a story. That's fine. To do it lyrically, that's talented. Now, to do it backwards. That's amazing.

ChocoLatte

Reaction score
Reactions
56,897 698 521
Alleybux
All of this but especially the bolded. Nobody can tell a story with their ryhmes better than Nas.

[video=youtube;J3Sd2gDkSV8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3Sd2gDkSV8[/video]

The description says it all.

Yes!!! Ugh it just irks me how he doesn't get the love he deserves. I don't even know why or how in the hell Jay-Z had the never to proclaim himself the best rapper alive.

That's what hip-hop is missing with these new cats imo. Storytellers. J Cole does a good job at painting pictures tho so he is an exception.

RedHawt

No Fake Zone
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
66,861 4,110 4,573
Alleybux
Are we groaning opinions or reading and posting, debating and rebutting?

I happen to like Em's psychotic flow. Em tells a story, it's realistic and relatable. He's not just grasping for a rhyme. A majority of his lyrics makes sense, evoke crazy thoughts, but sane at the same time. Lose Yourself is my shid!!!!

I said I was gonna start this thread, so here it is. This is a spin-off from the Jay-Z thread. I saw a lot of real hip-hop heads in there with great opinions. Let's debate all things hip-hop here. Let's keep it clean tho and respect each other's opinions. Tag those who may want to contribute.

Ok first topic....who would you consider the most overrated rapper of all time? Imo, Eminem is. Dude is aight but not worth all the hype he got over all these years. I tried to give him a listen when he first came out but I just couldn't get into him. There are tons of other rappers who deserved the shine he got but he had a machine behind him (Dre).

Desert Rose

Female Hustler
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
263,298 3,041 1,502
Alleybux
Oh and I know this is about overrated rappers but i think that Ice Cube is extremely underrated

ChocoLatte

Reaction score
Reactions
56,897 698 521
Alleybux
Are we groaning opinions or reading and posting, debating and rebutting?

I happen to like Em's psychotic flow. Em tells a story, it's realistic and relatable. He's not just grasping for a rhyme. A majority of his lyrics makes sense, evoke crazy thoughts, but sane at the same time. Lose Yourself is my shid!!!!

LMAO @ are we groaning. If you wanna groan, you can. I just wanted this to be an adult debate. Not like those damn other threads where it's stan wars. I'm listening to all opinions and taking all points of views.

MissThugga

Well-Known Biaatch ღ
Reaction score
Reactions
164,619 3,164 1,718
Alleybux
Overrated

Jay
Lil Wayne
T.I.

Thos are the only ones I think of that people really hype up

Brown Eyed Chic

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
49 1
Alleybux
- Overrated Rapper: T.I., never got the hype and never understood why so many rode for this guy...And this is way before he became a tap dancer and the Iggy situation.

Yes. I remember one of Tip's first tracks "I'm Serious" feat. Beenie Man. It was my joint and he actually had flow. But once he got on, his rapping turned to straight garbage. I haven't been checking for him since the early 2000s.

karyn

Don’t do me y’all. Black Karyn since 2006
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
190,993 4,027 3,303
Alleybux
Thanks for the tag. Biggie was the best to ever do it in my opinion. He only released two albums and I can listen to those two albums especially the double disc life after death from front to back and not skip one damn song. The entire CD was a masterpiece. And like another poster said Big had that flow where you could literally see the picture he was rhyming about. I also loved Pac. I would say if pressed I would tie him and Big for number one rapper of all time. As for Jay he hasn't moved me in a minute. The last album I fµcked with him was the Blue Print. After that he's been trash. As another font said in another thread he's the last rapper standing from the 90's but he's not that good. And now even when I listen to his old shyt, I'm not impressed.

Kendrick Lamar does nothing for me. His rhyming voice is irritating as fµck. Remember how DMX used to get riled up on a track and go from 0 to 10 in a song? It's like Kendrick stays on 10 and I want to kick him in his face.

I'm a fan of Drizzy. Yeah I said it lol! I like his flow and I appreciate that he didn't come out here on no fake gangsta shyt. He ain't hard core but he's created his own lane. I respect it.

Nicki Minaj is garbage. She's beautiful and I guess her tits blind people to that fact. Lil Kim was the best female rapper ever in my opinion. Her flow was impeccable. It's a shame she couldn't keep her career going.

I dusted off the song Self Destruction. How many of ya'll remember that song? Do you know how impactful it would be if all the rappers got together and did something similar today? They won't. Cause they have made the dollar their God and so many missed opportunities for collective good are passing them by. Will be back for more thoughts later.

miss chief

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
220,105 12,109 8,065
Alleybux
Most overrated? Jay Z, 50 Cent, Kanye West, Lil Wayne.

Houston and Bay Area rappers are most underrated.
Big Pun and Ice Cube are underrated as well.

My fave rapper is BIG. His cadence, his voice, his flashy style, his flow was like no other. He had a great ability of making people be able to not just hear but picture his words. He was a great storyteller. People are still quoting his stories/rhymes today.

mysticall

Royal Highness
Reaction score
Reactions
26,046 629 343
Alleybux
Kendrick Lamar is the best of the New School right now. F*ck trap music.

apples

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
228,662 6,475 5,265
Alleybux
Can someone provide a list of criteria and or checklist of what make a great rapper?

1. Lyricism - can't be an ABC rapper and lyrical content should be a factor. This one is hard because the rappers with the best punch lines really don't be rapping about sh!t.

2. Sales - Numbers don't lie

3. Fan base - Some rappers will never fail because of cult followings. Case in point... Tech 9

Can't think of any more at the moment.