Quantcast

Official Power Book II hate thread

chumbawumba

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,755 730 206
Alleybux
Of course but I don't know if Ghost will go down in history as one of the most memorable like Tony Soprano.

He won't. Shows like The Wire (Omar, Stringer, Avon), The Sopranos (Tony), Breaking Bad (Walter White), Mad Men (Don Draper) were superb. Those shows built entire worlds, had broad character arcs, told allegories, etc. There was actual character development.

Power plays favorites, and lacks depth. These individuals do whatever is necessary to drive the plot. Tommy has become a cartoon. Tommy technically should be dead by now. But the writers use plot armor to protect him. How convenient.

They think those goofy classroom scenes where they discuss books work as a metaphor for the overall story. Those scenes are cringe worthy.

Power has never been of caliber of the above mentioned shows but it started off as a good & entertaining show. Now, none of the stuff they are doing makes any sense. They don't even bother to explain why the characters make certain decisions. The viewers just have to accept it. Then we have to listen to CK speak as if she is writing at the caliber of The Wire or Breaking Bad. I even saw another Breaking Bad reference in this season finale episode. Even when BB referenced movies, Vince Gilligan put his own spin on it. Power doesn't do that. It's so silly to me.

Cersei L

Don't want my $hit to get soggy
Reaction score
Reactions
125,612 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
To the bold, it's so funny you said this because CK mentioned she stopped watching Game of Thrones when
Ned Stark died

And I thought: This is how you tell a well rounded story with a ensemble of multifaceted characters. She doesn't take the same risks either.

He won't. Shows like The Wire (Omar, Stringer, Avon), The Sopranos (Tony), Breaking Bad (Walter White), Mad Men (Don Draper) were superb. Those shows built entire worlds, had broad character arcs, told allegories, etc. There was actual character development.

Power plays favorites, and lacks depth. These individuals do whatever is necessary to drive the plot. Tommy has become a cartoon. Tommy technically should be dead by now. But the writers use plot armor to protect him. How convenient.

They think those goofy classroom scenes where they discuss books work as a metaphor for the overall story. Those scenes are cringe worthy.

Power has never been of caliber of the above mentioned shows but it started off as a good & entertaining show. Now, none of the stuff they are doing makes any sense. They don't even bother to explain why the characters make certain decisions. The viewers just have to accept it. Then we have to listen to CK speak as if she is writing at the caliber of The Wire or Breaking Bad. I even saw another Breaking Bad reference in this season finale episode. Even when BB referenced movies, Vince Gilligan put his own spin on it. Power doesn't do that. It's so silly to me.

chumbawumba

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,755 730 206
Alleybux
And I thought: This is how you tell a well rounded story with a ensemble of multifaceted characters. She doesn't take the same risks either.

Exactly! She thinks it's a risk to have Tommy in a car chase scene that results in an explosion. Why are we watching this? The viewers already know that Tommy won't die, he has a whole spinoff in the works. But it serves the plot for Tommy's show because now the FEDS think Tommy is dead. I mean come on!

There were 2 scenes in the finale that reminded me of Breaking Bad:
#1 When Tasha was in Tariq's dorm and he said to her that he is a killer.

#2 Riq kills Jabari. Riq told Jabari "I am the bad spot."

Both scenes reminded me of when Walter told Skyler "I am the one who knocks. I'm the danger"

This is a reoccurring thing where Power writers remix themes from other shows & movies but it is so obvious. This show is a soap opera. I wish CK would admit that and it wouldn't be so irritating, Lol.

I love television so I do get invested. I am willing to suspend belief as long as the show does a good job at world building and character development. But when the bs gets too high on a show or movie, I see ALL of the flaws. I tend to grade Power on a heavy curve.

Kells

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
15,970 648 625
Alleybux
Why are some of these posters so triggered when other people liked the Ghost character??

Leave us alone let folks post in peace !! Stop trying to paint us as a cult or weirdos because we liked the main character of the damn show and rooted for him to win!! Ok he cheated let it fkn go it’s tired sounds like some personal sh!t y’all deal with offline and just hated the man on tv playing a part but saw nothing wrong with his wife having three boyfriends ...let it go.

chumbawumba

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
68,755 730 206
Alleybux
Why are some of these posters so triggered when other people liked the Ghost character??

Leave us alone let folks post in peace !! Stop trying to paint us as a cult or weirdos because we liked the main character of the damn show and rooted for him to win!! Ok he cheated let it fkn go it’s tired sounds like some personal sh!t y’all deal with offline and just hated the man on tv playing a part but saw nothing wrong with his wife having three boyfriends ...let it go.

Huh? This is a whole HATE thread. How you gonna complain about people hating in a space created for that? You sought this thread out to complain?

Toocoolforschoo

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
96,939 1,770 409
Alleybux
I also have to say this man is missed very much. Tariq didn't appreciate you but I do! He would've made a great Lt. Governor! That would've deserved a better spinoff than this!

I still think Courtney could bring him back if she wanted to (not sure she wants to). I didn't like Power Book II at first, but it's grown on me. It's very different than what I expected, but I think it's good.

@Faubourg Tremé

Kells

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
15,970 648 625
Alleybux
Huh? This is a whole HATE thread. How you gonna complain about people hating in a space created for that? You sought this thread out to complain?

If you can fkn read I been in this thread explaining my own hate for the new show!! I’m speaking on posters who are mad that some of us liked ghost and are here to be combative about it . Girl get off me.

Treme

Mr. New Orleans
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
55,211 1,419 321
Alleybux
Exactly! She thinks it's a risk to have Tommy in a car chase scene that results in an explosion. Why are we watching this? The viewers already know that Tommy won't die, he has a whole spinoff in the works. But it serves the plot for Tommy's show because now the FEDS think Tommy is dead. I mean come on!

There were 2 scenes in the finale that reminded me of Breaking Bad:
#1 When Tasha was in Tariq's dorm and he said to her that he is a killer.

#2 Riq kills Jabari. Riq told Jabari "I am the bad spot."

Both scenes reminded me of when Walter told Skyler "I am the one who knocks. I'm the danger"

This is a reoccurring thing where Power writers remix themes from other shows & movies but it is so obvious. This show is a soap opera. I wish CK would admit that and it wouldn't be so irritating, Lol.

I love television so I do get invested. I am willing to suspend belief as long as the show does a good job at world building and character development. But when the bs gets too high on a show or movie, I see ALL of the flaws. I tend to grade Power on a heavy curve.

I found Jabari's death to be lazy writing. Yeah he was a nasty perv who stalked his ex and slept with students. But CK killed him off for what reason? Just to say a main cast person died in season finale? Was his death supposed to really matter in long scheme of things? Was it just supposed to shock watchers? It was really worthless when you think about it. They really just used him for xes scenes and useless classroom discussion banter. Waste of film really.

If they wanted to impress, they would've had Jabari shoot and kill or at least beat up Tariq b!tch ass for "sleeping with Carrie" as he thought. Now that would've been a plot twist I would've loved to see, especially with Riq finally paying the price for all the sh!t he gets away with.

Treme

Mr. New Orleans
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
55,211 1,419 321
Alleybux

I hate how Ghost haters fuss about all the bad stuff Ghost did, but praise Tariq b!tch ass for doing the same stuff. Like Cmon son lol.

TriniHeaven

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
6,156 605 140
Alleybux
Tasha's jail scenes were BORING! You mean to tell me the writer's couldn't cook up some more drama between her and the other prisoners? Maybe a fight scene with that lesbian butch CO who kept bugging her.

Even the lady who plays Tameka did a better job of keeping it real in jail on Chappelle's Show. :ROFLMAO:

lmao that is her haha I’m weak

Cersei L

Reaction score
Reactions
125,612 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
I hate how Ghost haters fuss about all the bad stuff Ghost did, but praise Tariq b!tch ass for doing the same stuff. Like Cmon son lol.

Actually it goes both ways. Case in point, you just called Tariq a b!tch ass and love Ghost for pulling some of the same chump moves. No shade, just roll with it.

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,419 18,059
Alleybux
I’m just now catching up, but idk why they had to make sax a transgender. I don’t see how it fits the story.

And I hate that they just won’t tell the lawyers the truth. Even ghost had to tell the lawyers the truth and it helped them stay out of prison.

CA Girl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
570,649 106,089 7,275
Alleybux
I’m just now catching up, but idk why they had to make sax a transgender. I don’t see how it fits the story.

And I hate that they just won’t tell the lawyers the truth. Even ghost had to tell the lawyers the truth and it helped them stay out of prison.

Sax is not a transgender. His siblings call him Nancy to be funny.

Soso72

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,027 110 110
Alleybux
No hate, so far so good.

I'm finding the 'love' pairing quite good.

I used to hate on Tariq last year while on the original Power. I had also bet not to watch Power 2 as I was so angry lol

But for some reasons he's been my boy this time round!

stubborn

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
145,854 11,419 18,059
Alleybux
I got done watching a while ago. I used to be in the power threads every week and didn’t think the spin off would be good, but it is!!!

I can’t believe Tasha did tommy like that.

Where can I watch the recent special they did?

sundaybest

AbundantlyAmazing
Reaction score
Reactions
236,812 11,972 10,199
Alleybux
Popping in to say. Snowfall is miles better than Power.
How so? Since that means I would have to start off rewinding to season one. Is the main female lead a dark skinned sister that I can support? If not, I’m going to support those who give us a chance.

Cersei L

Reaction score
Reactions
125,612 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
How so? Since that means I would have to start off rewinding to season one. Is the main female lead a dark skinned sister that I can support? If not, I’m going to support those who give us a chance.

The main lead is a young boy. He has several woman. No commitments. I was hoping it would be Melody. As for other women, I love Franklin's aunt and his mother and they are both written with dignity

LVuittonLover

Team Owner
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
17,710 449 144
Alleybux
I think they should’ve had a spin off for Proctor. There were so many interesting things they could’ve done with his character. It was a waste to kill his character off.

He was a excellent New York attorney, from a New York crime family. He had a drug addicted lawyer ex wife, and custody issues with his daughter. Debi Mazar was excellent in the one episode she was in, as aunt Delores. They had mob ties, and he defended a lot of crooked, dangerous people.

They could’ve written storylines around his clients, and family issues. His character was sympathetic and well acted by Jerry Ferrera. I would’ve loved to have seen him with his own show.

You are absolutely right. When I heard they were doing several Power spin-offs and saw the way Proctor's family was being introduced into the story, I just KNEW that was going to be a spin-off, but no...

LazyDaisy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
212,339 3,164 1,232
Alleybux
:ROFLMAO:

I saw the first episode just to satisfy my curiosity and cure some boredom... I was turned off immediately. The original Power was good enough to hate watch when it jumped the shark, plus I was already invested in spite of it plummeting. But the spinoff isn't even good enough for me to hate watch it. So for sh!ts and giggles I'll just come here to read the comments.
Lmao 6 months later and I ain't even read the LSA threads. I'm that over it.

Cersei L

Reaction score
Reactions
125,612 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
Snowfall done put the TKO on power spinoffs. Damn shame.
Snowfall is so damn good. I can't believe I slept on that show. Then again you had John Singleton as the creator. Walter Mosley as a writer/consultant and Tyger Williams as a writers. All three heavyweights and are dedicated to telling a story as authentically as possible. Courtney is a suburban woman who has always been fascinated with hood culture but does not bother to do her research when telling these stories.

Cersei L

Reaction score
Reactions
125,612 4,359 2,401
Alleybux

I am watching season 4and the bold could not be more true. After Tasha and Ghost learned about Tariq and Kanan, they just went back to normal like it never happened and Tariq was still coming and going and nobody questioned anything. It's frustrating to watch.

sundaybest

AbundantlyAmazing
Reaction score
Reactions
236,812 11,972 10,199
Alleybux
Snowfall is so damn good. I can't believe I slept on that show. Then again you had John Singleton as the creator. Walter Mosley as a writer/consultant and Tyger Williams as a writers. All three heavyweights and are dedicated to telling a story as authentically as possible. Courtney is a suburban woman who has always been fascinated with hood culture but does not bother to do her research when telling these stories.
I keep hearing about Snowfall. What’s it about? And can I watch it AND POWER?

Why one or the other? Yes I am addicted to Power.

Cersei L

Reaction score
Reactions
125,612 4,359 2,401
Alleybux
I keep hearing about Snowfall. What’s it about? And can I watch it AND POWER?

Why one or the other? Yes I am addicted to Power.
You can watch whatever you want. Snowfall is about a young man's rise in the drug trafficking game and the rise of the crack epidemic in urban neighborhoods . The character is loosely based off drug trafficker Freeway Rick Ross.

personally, I find the writing, character development and evolution much better than Power. Power glamorizes that lifestyle and in retrospect, it's kind of irresponsible of the writers.

islamami

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,171 854 690
Alleybux
The writing had holes and then they never get filled in…. This also happened in power’s last 2-3 seasons.

I agree that the show has been dumbed down like we cannot figure it out or can’t see the writing holes.

I cannot stand Jabari…. Carrie… they both prey on their students, yuck! I see why they we’re together lol

I don’t believe Ghost is dead because we never saw the body and ghost was working on getting away. He’s always ahead.

I want better for Tariq…. I wish he’d leave the life alone. I didn’t realize he just turned 18 lmao he been out here killing and shooting and slanging lol as a minor minor… boy!!!

islamami

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,171 854 690
Alleybux
Oh…. The “operation “ that Monet and them supposed to have…. Lmao but it’s you, your 3 kids and the 3 kids from that gang and Tariq…. That’s the operation… lmao how you get taken out after losing 3 people but it’s supposed to be this BIG organization… the math ain’t mathing. Got me looking at Lorenzo like he don’t deserve that cushy set up in prison. Even if they sell more in prison…. I’m just not seeing the power they are supposed to have when 6 children and two adults are organization.

I need more backstory. The math ain’t mathing

Runforest

WAW's Main Poster
Reaction score
Reactions
160,525 5,415 3,142
Alleybux
Oh…. The “operation “ that Monet and them supposed to have…. Lmao but it’s you, your 3 kids and the 3 kids from that gang and Tariq…. That’s the operation… lmao how you get taken out after losing 3 people but it’s supposed to be this BIG organization… the math ain’t mathing. Got me looking at Lorenzo like he don’t deserve that cushy set up in prison. Even if they sell more in prison…. I’m just not seeing the power they are supposed to have when 6 children and two adults are organization.

I need more backstory. The math ain’t mathing
I think he’s getting out next season so we should see

islamami

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
22,171 854 690
Alleybux
I think he’s getting out next season so we should see

Oh really? That’ll be interesting because they said he had a 25 year bid and only did 10. Yayaya, out on good behavior but… eh. I wonder if this is another writing hole….

Runforest

WAW's Main Poster
Reaction score
Reactions
160,525 5,415 3,142
Alleybux
Oh really? That’ll be interesting because they said he had a 25 year bid and only did 10. Yayaya, out on good behavior but… eh. I wonder if this is another writing hole….
I’m pretty sure he got bumped up to season regular and I think I saw him in one of the behind the scenes photos driving a car

LazyDaisy

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
212,339 3,164 1,232
Alleybux
:ROFLMAO:

I saw the first episode just to satisfy my curiosity and cure some boredom... I was turned off immediately. The original Power was good enough to hate watch when it jumped the shark, plus I was already invested in spite of it plummeting. But the spinoff isn't even good enough for me to hate watch it. So for sh!ts and giggles I'll just come here to read the comments.
LMFAO and apparently a year later I didn't even come back to do that.

ReineMere

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
18,300 1,762 198
Alleybux
One of the main things I do not like is that the tejadas were supposed to be ruthless and on top yet they live in this small ass house with an operation so tiny the damn kids are running it. Their hands shouldn’t ever be getting dirty. The wife especially her dirty work is not killing and meeting up with others. What kind of sh!t is that? Also it makes it look like they spend tons of money on DRIP before anything else but we’re all trying to figure out just how much money they have with a scanty business. Ghost had so many primeras and muscle he did his own killing and was hardly seen. Also Lorenzo went to jail and was this ruthless murdering man with a little 2 bedroom in queens? Lol