Quantcast

Official Small Business Thread: How to Start( Step by Step)

Divakim89

Pretty On Fleek
Reaction score
Reactions
128,769 7,945 8,863
Alleybux
Alot of people have been messaging me asking about how to start a business and i thought id make a thread because i wish i would have had a one stop place to look to find all the resources FOR FREE.

1. Know what you want to sell/make/etc...

2.Research and make sure you really like what it is and have the time to dedicate to the product you are going to sell. Research Price points, styles, vendors, etc. (youtube is a great research tool)

3.Name your Business ...try> ( namelix.com)

4. Create an EIN...this is like a social security # for your business, you will need this number to sign up for a bunch of things following
( https://sa.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp)

5. Go to your local business website chambers of commerce for your State(normally you would go to your local circuit court pre covid but most courts are closed now) here you want to apply for your traders/business license. My State has a business express website. the price is based on how many products you plan to sell. starting out i knew it wouldn't be more than 1000 so i only had to pay $17! Yes ONLY $17! The price goes up depending on how much you plan to sell

6. Register your business name...this is not required but suggested. You will get a certified Certificate in the mail with your business name and ID # , This was around $160. This will save you if someone comes along trying to take your name especially if they live in the same state as you. It also establishes your business.

7. Find a FREE small business bank account( united bank, bank of america , chase all have free business no fee accounts) (https://www.fundera.com/blog/free-business-checking )

8.Create your business domain(website) godaddy.com is a perfect domain site for you to pick your custom domain or buy an already established one. I paid only $20/year for mine. When creating your site try to make it as appealing with less amount of words as you can.

9. Find a LOGO...I used a site thats no longer in business but it provided me with several different sizes logos, watermark, business cards templates ect. Now knowing what i know I would have used Canva...its a site and an app. Its by far the BEST thing you would need as a business owner. You can make logos, business cards, advertisements, flyers, postcards...literally ANYTHING for FREE. They have millions of templates all you have to do is delete whatevery words pictures etc and replace them with your own. you can also create your own if you dont see anything you like ( https://www.canva.com/ )

10. Set up your online store. I prefer shopify. Its $29/month but this will be a place showcasing your products so its well worth it. Its literally so easy to set up and it gives you stats on your business by the minute(who looking at your site, where, number of click from what platform etc. (You can also use bigcartel, wix, wordpress)

11. Set up social media( IG and Facebook) are the top 2 places. Even if you haven't already got a product you can still get people excited about what you plan to sell, make etc.

12. Buy/make product/ buy wholesale. You dont always need to buy from china or alibaba etc. try etsy.com, or even instagram or amazon for tool, wholesale goods. Im in the beauty field and have yet to rely on shippers from china. I use other small businesses off of etsy, ig. and that are based in the USA

13. Set up a stamps.com or usps account for shipping and printing your labels

14. PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE make your ig page a business page and use that to buy promotions, use word of mouth, give out business cards. Tips...pay close attention to comments you read anywhere online and to where you can insert your business site. I sold a bunch by reading one girls comments and seeing people ask where they got a certain product and when they dont know i advertise my site. Look for starter influencers they wont ask for money and just want the exposure...they will help promote. Drop business cards somehwere and walk off lol...ask different local business if you can leave a few cards in their establishment. I even leave cards at restaurants along with the tip

things you will need

-printer(and things that go along with it)
-laptop
-shipping supplies(polymailers, boxes, tissue paper, shredded paper, tape, mesh bags, etc...you can look on etsy for custom anything. vistaprint.com is another custom site
-scale for weighing products. try amazon or walmart

I know i may have missed a few things, feel free to ask any questions !!! Im an open book!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUSINESS!

Watching this girls youtube is who inspired me to start my business...its full of valuable information!!! She a lil ratchet lol but fun!

https://www.youtube.com/user/glamazontay

JoanClayton

Team Owner
SUPER MODERATOR
Reaction score
Reactions
244,109 2,761 187
Alleybux
If I could add some more advice...if you're going to start a business, hire a lawyer and an accountant right away. There are many that specialize in small businesses. They will save you from so many headaches from day one and make tax season a breeze.

SavageKarter

-vs- Everybody
Reaction score
Reactions
42,354 2,458 2,717
Alleybux
Thanks for posting this.
Has anyone completed the process of trademarking via the uspto trademark clinic program?

Surf

Your Slut Queen
Reaction score
Reactions
72,361 6,568 8,536
Alleybux
If I could add some more advice...if you're going to start a business, hire a lawyer and an accountant right away. There are many that specialize in small businesses. They will save you from so many headaches from day one and make tax season a breeze.

some Credit unions do taxes for free if your have an account with them

I also want to add please get a bank account. You won’t get a loan if you not posting any type of cash flow for the last 6 months

PettyLesbian

NO SUGAR ON GRITS!
Reaction score
Reactions
74,940 2,039 258
Alleybux
Any suggestions for a phone system that is not google voice?

Any software suggestions for like tasks/completion project management?

Anacaona Taino

I forgot my old tag line...
Reaction score
Reactions
230,369 4,870 1,417
Alleybux
This is excellent advice OP. I actually help new business owners every day with business licenses and sales tax. I used to work for a small town in their Planning and Zoning dept and then moved and now work remote. A lot of people get scammed by legal zoom.

The point of hiring a specialized lawyer for entrepreneurs and an accountant (NOT HR Block etc) is priceless.

Also don't be lazy, READ every and anything your signing your name to. If you think you don't have time do it on the toilet, the train or during a boring meeting. Pay attention.

vandering

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
Thanks for posting this.
Has anyone completed the process of trademarking via the uspto trademark clinic program?

I wouldn't bother with this until you're making money. Even then, you're going to need a big pile of money to pay a lawyer should a trademark dispute ever occur.

Do search the trademark database to make sure you aren't infringing on anyone's current trademark.

Search trademark database

That should be enough to keep you out of trouble.

its LeviOsa

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
3,045 75 15
Alleybux
My questions are about starting an online shop that only sells digital goods and printables.

Some sites say you don't need a business license if you only sell digital goods (since you aren't shipping anything). That all you need is a DBA and a sellers license to collect sales tax.
Is this true? Anytime there's an article about 'how to start a printables business' no one ever mentions a business license either.

And if a sole proprietor fills out a DBA form or other paperwork for an e-commerce shop, should they avoid using their home address? Do you have to get a virtual business address just to fill out these forms?

CosmoGirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
40,661 1,360 1,024
Alleybux
Alot of people have been messaging me asking about how to start a business and i thought id make a thread because i wish i would have had a one stop place to look to find all the resources FOR FREE.

1. Know what you want to sell/make/etc...

2.Research and make sure you really like what it is and have the time to dedicate to the product you are going to sell. Research Price points, styles, vendors, etc. (youtube is a great research tool)

3.Name your Business ...try> ( namelix.com)

4. Create an EIN...this is like a social security # for your business, you will need this number to sign up for a bunch of things following
( https://sa.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp)

5. Go to your local business website chambers of commerce for your State(normally you would go to your local circuit court pre covid but most courts are closed now) here you want to apply for your traders/business license. My State has a business express website. the price is based on how many products you plan to sell. starting out i knew it wouldn't be more than 1000 so i only had to pay $17! Yes ONLY $17! The price goes up depending on how much you plan to sell

6. Register your business name...this is not required but suggested. You will get a certified Certificate in the mail with your business name and ID # , This was around $160. This will save you if someone comes along trying to take your name especially if they live in the same state as you. It also establishes your business.

7. Find a FREE small business bank account( united bank, bank of america , chase all have free business no fee accounts) (https://www.fundera.com/blog/free-business-checking )

8.Create your business domain(website) godaddy.com is a perfect domain site for you to pick your custom domain or buy an already established one. I paid only $20/year for mine. When creating your site try to make it as appealing with less amount of words as you can.

9. Find a LOGO...I used a site thats no longer in business but it provided me with several different sizes logos, watermark, business cards templates ect. Now knowing what i know I would have used Canva...its a site and an app. Its by far the BEST thing you would need as a business owner. You can make logos, business cards, advertisements, flyers, postcards...literally ANYTHING for FREE. They have millions of templates all you have to do is delete whatevery words pictures etc and replace them with your own. you can also create your own if you dont see anything you like ( https://www.canva.com/ )

10. Set up your online store. I prefer shopify. Its $29/month but this will be a place showcasing your products so its well worth it. Its literally so easy to set up and it gives you stats on your business by the minute(who looking at your site, where, number of click from what platform etc. (You can also use bigcartel, wix, wordpress)

11. Set up social media( IG and Facebook) are the top 2 places. Even if you haven't already got a product you can still get people excited about what you plan to sell, make etc.

12. Buy/make product/ buy wholesale. You dont always need to buy from china or alibaba etc. try etsy.com, or even instagram or amazon for tool, wholesale goods. Im in the beauty field and have yet to rely on shippers from china. I use other small businesses off of etsy, ig. and that are based in the USA

13. Set up a stamps.com or usps account for shipping and printing your labels

14. PROMOTE PROMOTE PROMOTE make your ig page a business page and use that to buy promotions, use word of mouth, give out business cards. Tips...pay close attention to comments you read anywhere online and to where you can insert your business site. I sold a bunch by reading one girls comments and seeing people ask where they got a certain product and when they dont know i advertise my site. Look for starter influencers they wont ask for money and just want the exposure...they will help promote. Drop business cards somehwere and walk off lol...ask different local business if you can leave a few cards in their establishment. I even leave cards at restaurants along with the tip

things you will need

-printer(and things that go along with it)
-laptop
-shipping supplies(polymailers, boxes, tissue paper, shredded paper, tape, mesh bags, etc...you can look on etsy for custom anything. vistaprint.com is another custom site
-scale for weighing products. try amazon or walmart

I know i may have missed a few things, feel free to ask any questions !!! Im an open book!

GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUSINESS!

Watching this girls youtube is who inspired me to start my business...its full of valuable information!!! She a lil ratchet lol but fun!

https://www.youtube.com/user/glamazontay

Wow OP I recently started taking the steps to set up on an online store and Tay was also my inspiration!

I found a lot of vendors through her videos and have already started going through inventory to see what I want in my first collection.

I just got my logo done yesterday and am about to set up the website. Wish me luck y’all! It’s a lot of work and I’m sure I’ll make mistakes but I want to be financially stable.

SpartanDoll

Rookie
Reaction score
Reactions
550 81 3
Alleybux
AWESOME Advice OP, Just Be Careful With Using Canva Y'all, You Don't Actually Own The Rights To Those Free Logo's- You Can't Trademark Them! (Unless You Get In Touch With The Artist.

Try A Freelance Artist From { Fiverr .(c0m) } . Some Logo Packages Are A Low As $30!

gimmetheloot

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
519 7
Alleybux
Thanks for posting this.

Yes I got a trademark for my business name through legal zoom. I applied in September 2020 and got it legally approved & in the uspto database just a couple weeks ago in march. The fee was around $500

gimmetheloot

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
519 7
Alleybux
This is excellent advice OP. I actually help new business owners every day with business licenses and sales tax. I used to work for a small town in their Planning and Zoning dept and then moved and now work remote. A lot of people get scammed by legal zoom.

The point of hiring a specialized lawyer for entrepreneurs and an accountant (NOT HR Block etc) is priceless.

Also don't be lazy, READ every and anything your signing your name to. If you think you don't have time do it on the toilet, the train or during a boring meeting. Pay attention.
Omg what work w legal zoom?? Ive used them

stillagoodgirl

Abstinence makes his heart grow fonder.
Reaction score
Reactions
11,316 298 79
Alleybux
Starting a business sounds easy enough when you have a hobby but then I started looking into the legality and competition. I think it's better to be safe and get a license just in case.

Thanks for the tips and GOD BLESS!