Quantcast

OFFICIAL THREAD for ARIANA GRANDE'S new album"POSITIONS"

Ms.cleo

“I’m just clairvoyant up in this b*tch”
Reaction score
Reactions
272,731 32,710 4,490
Alleybux
I dunno but all the songs I’ve heard make her seem desperate for a man or at least a lot of xes.
How when she has a man lmao?

Idk about the xes part but I’d assume she is cause she’s very open about being xesual, etc. Have you ever considered that she’s inspired to write about her experiences while in relationships? She’s never really been single. Just a thought.

Grown Woman

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
7,345 92 124
Alleybux
I’m probably the LAST person to listen to AG but this “My Hair” song...yasssss!

a stronger set of vocals should have gotten this though

Dahalla

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
52,072 2,925 346
Alleybux
How when she has a man lmao?

Idk about the xes part but I’d assume she is cause she’s very open about being xesual, etc. Have you ever considered that she’s inspired to write about her experiences while in relationships? She’s never really been single. Just a thought.
I didn’t know she had a man I just meant I couldn’t find another topic or theme in most of the other songs than xes and hyper sexualised music gets kind of boring after a while. Just my opinion.

PASSPORT SIS

I'm back, wh0res!
Reaction score
Reactions
210,863 11,044 6,508
Alleybux
I usually like Ari's music but this will have to grow on me.. I've given it 2 listens so far. I was hoping she'd have another bop like "every time" because that song gets me all the time. It gets JT also.

Anyway I really enjoy the song "safety net" with Ty $

efilneetevol

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,835 87 32
Alleybux
I’ve listened to the album a couple of times, and I agree that it is boring and sounds like one long song after a certain point. I just skipped through songs 5-13, and they are all indistinguishable to me with the exception of My Hair.

I don’t think any of the individual songs are weak or “trash” at all. I think I’ll like all of them when interspersed in a shuffled playlist of Ariana’s previous works. But I agree that it gets very one-note as an album.

I see a few people commenting on how short the songs are, but I don’t think any of them feel short.

I think it’s unfortunate that Ariana wants to be an R&B artist because, while she has a beautiful voice, I don’t think she has the tone or grit for R&B. I think a lot of these songs fell a little flat, but would have been magical if sang by someone with a deeper, more soulful voice. I think removing the processing done on her voice would have helped tremendously. A small part of what makes POV work to me is that I can hear the imperfections in her voice. The polished sound just doesn’t convey anything to me on the previous songs on the album. I’ve seen a lot of people say that the second half of the album is strongest, and I agree with that lyrically, but sonically, I think the first four tracks suit Ariana best.

I don’t think her enunciation was that bad though. I think Problem and The Light is Coming are incomprehensible, but I can actually understand what she’s saying most of the time on this album.

Even though I find Safety Net to be kind of boring, Ty’s singing is the standout to me on the album at this point. Even though I think POV is also kind of boring, I think POV is the best song on the album.

I don’t like Ariana’s whistling on this album. My favorite thing about Ariana’s voice is how clear her tone is in her higher registers. Her whistle is really breathy though, and it sounds like she has trouble forming words while whistling, so the whistling at the end of My Hair didn’t hit for me at all. That being said, I don’t think she had any stunning vocal moments on this album.

I’m curious to see what she does next. I hope she doesn’t give us another TU,N apology album after this. I loved Sweetener. I think that sound was mature and suited her voice so well. I think her fans hold her back because a lot of them want Ariana to be a popstar, but Ariana has clearly said from the beginning that she doesn’t want that. I want her to go ahead and commit to R&B (preferably Pop&B because it suits her better) and start working on her authentic sound.

Last edited:

sleepguru

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,857 62 4
Alleybux
Ariana should've had Lucky Daye feature on 'off the table'. The weekend's part was underwhelming and lacked soul, skip his part every time and it just ruins the song for me. Imagine Lucky and Ari harmonizing, his runs and you know his pen is good too.

houseinhabit

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,499 860 895
Alleybux
Ariana has the musicality of Britney. I don’t think Ariana is capable of creating anything with substance because she’s not convincing. She’s not even capable of carrying the trap pop sound. I cringed watching her in the 7 Rings video moving around uncomfortably trying to be sexy and her cadence was off. She better be glad she has a voice because people will just continue to say but she’s talented and excuse her lack of growth.
who's perfoming in your HOB gif?

houseinhabit

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,499 860 895
Alleybux
I love some others as well, I just wanted to say that POV is goddamn BEAUTIFUL, omg. I just... wow. The lyrics make me want to cry. It’s really something when someone else helps us to realize the way we should actually be viewing ourselves. Beautiful.

ETA: I love:

Just Like Magic

Off The Table

Safety Net

My Hair

Nasty (baybeeeeee, I’m about to open this bottle of wine and dance to this in the mirror while my husband is at work)

West Side

Love Language

POV (my favorite right now)

This is her best album!!!!

Safety Net, Shut Up, Positions, Motive, Just Like Magic >>> Best songs on the album. PERIOD!!!!! She did her damn thing!

Well I loved the album.
The album is very cohesive, love the strings and jazz influence throughout. Despite some of the childish lyrics, I actually think she’s trying to move to a more mature sound and I’m glad she’s really singing on this album.

POV is such a beautiful song, same with safety net. Off the table, my hair, 34+35, and nasty are BOPS! Just like magic, West side, positions, and love language are nice. Motive is cute but it’s giving H&M.

It’s a fun, lighthearted album and it seems like she had a lot of fun making it.

Finished the album. Not 'wowed' - with all the R&B hype, I was hoping for more experimentation and sounds outside her comfort zone (only My Hair did this for me) - but it's still a very solid project. It's a step up from TUN. Sonically it sounds like an extension of Sweetener but maybe a tinge edgier. And like any Ariana album, there's tons of cute bops that'll stay on repeat:

Nasty (absolute fav, it's gonna get me in trouble quoting the lyrics out loud :weary_face:)
Off The Table
Motive
POV
My Hair
Six Thirty

I LOVE this album. motive, nasty, just like magic, off the table, safety net, pov and obvious are all amazing. This is my favorite album of hers I think.

Okay y'all I'm bored.
TLDR; positions is the only hit song, 34+35 is extremely playable, Motive will be lobby/elevator music. The album is a total flop (never thought this about any of Arianas albums)
Positions (8.5/10) it's just a great pop record
34+35 (5/10) just catchyish
Motive (5/10) ^^

Shut up - terrible. I had to force my self to not skip after about 55 seconds. and that was already 30 seconds far too many.

34+35 - obviously going to be popular, boring as hell on a sonic level because there's no growth artistically what so ever. It's break up with your girlfriend with different lyrics

Motive -Upbeat disco pop, not bad on its face. Seems like Forever 21 shopping music imo. Literally can not understand her mumble singing for the first 20 seconds of the pre-chorus every time. Doja came in with her usual verse. It was pretty fitting but a boring dub for both

Just Like Magic - Mariah Carey intro acrobatics, drunk in love vibe track. I can't tell if they censored the album or she's incorporate random pausing in her words, she sounds pretty drunk at some points but I get that its her overall song now. It's a song about manifestation and disconnecting virtually.

Off the table - you would not listen to this song unless you love absolutely slow moving R&B. Her vocals are strong on this song but the harmonic vocals have officially inundated me

Six Thirty - rap singing like Kehlani, lyrically the same as 7 rings. It's a cute little song but another boring pseudo-bop

Safety net - Bryson tiller type track, her tonal quality is extremely similar to her songs with 2chainz rule the world. Ty had a much better verse and I don't care for him. Their harmonies don't pair well whatsoever.

my hair - nice bass track that reminds you of seventies tracks or Elle Varner circa 2011 / Jazmine Sullivan. Again you can't hear what she's saying AT ALL except for "Ooh baby" and "my hair" (sometimes)

nasty - skip. skip. skip. skip. it's like the rest but its a boring throwaway. this album is playing like a long ass playlist and not an album that required effort or money

west side - her Alicia keys body snatch moment. unmemorable chorus. unmemorable song. a super fan would forget it exists

love language - dua lipa vibe track without the catchiness. skip

positions - bright and poppy like a fresh Justin Bieber track. Feels very "Yummy" by Bieber in production. Obviously the best song on the album as it was the single. IT IS THE ONLY GOOD SONG

obvious - BORING. SAME TRACK. NOT MEMORABLE

POV - Sounds like The Weeknd Rolling Stone instrumentally. Still not an interesting song at all. It's not memorable.

I just recently realized I truly like her music lol she’s vocally gifted. Her new album is very pop with super light R&B influence. Is the sound groundbreaking? No not at all. But will I listen to this more instead of the music that’s been coming out from other artists lately? Yes. Purely bc of the vocals.
Ariana has the musicality of Britney. I don’t think Ariana is capable of creating anything with substance because she’s not convincing. She’s not even capable of carrying the trap pop sound. I cringed watching her in the 7 Rings video moving around uncomfortably trying to be sexy and her cadence was off. She better be glad she has a voice because people will just continue to say but she’s talented and excuse her lack of growth.

I am finally giving the album a listen while I work.
I love her voice, and I love the sounds/beats to the songs, but yes, a lot of these will be unmemorable in the long run.
that being said, my faves in no particular order:
west side
nasty
positions
my hair
safety net
love language

houseinhabit

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,499 860 895
Alleybux
I love some others as well, I just wanted to say that POV is goddamn BEAUTIFUL, omg. I just... wow. The lyrics make me want to cry. It’s really something when someone else helps us to realize the way we should actually be viewing ourselves. Beautiful.

ETA: I love:

Just Like Magic

Off The Table

Safety Net

My Hair

Nasty (baybeeeeee, I’m about to open this bottle of wine and dance to this in the mirror while my husband is at work)

West Side

Love Language

POV (my favorite right now)

This is her best album!!!!

Safety Net, Shut Up, Positions, Motive, Just Like Magic >>> Best songs on the album. PERIOD!!!!! She did her damn thing!

Well I loved the album.
The album is very cohesive, love the strings and jazz influence throughout. Despite some of the childish lyrics, I actually think she’s trying to move to a more mature sound and I’m glad she’s really singing on this album.

POV is such a beautiful song, same with safety net. Off the table, my hair, 34+35, and nasty are BOPS! Just like magic, West side, positions, and love language are nice. Motive is cute but it’s giving H&M.

It’s a fun, lighthearted album and it seems like she had a lot of fun making it.

Finished the album. Not 'wowed' - with all the R&B hype, I was hoping for more experimentation and sounds outside her comfort zone (only My Hair did this for me) - but it's still a very solid project. It's a step up from TUN. Sonically it sounds like an extension of Sweetener but maybe a tinge edgier. And like any Ariana album, there's tons of cute bops that'll stay on repeat:

Nasty (absolute fav, it's gonna get me in trouble quoting the lyrics out loud :weary_face:)
Off The Table
Motive
POV
My Hair
Six Thirty

I LOVE this album. motive, nasty, just like magic, off the table, safety net, pov and obvious are all amazing. This is my favorite album of hers I think.

Okay y'all I'm bored.
TLDR; positions is the only hit song, 34+35 is extremely playable, Motive will be lobby/elevator music. The album is a total flop (never thought this about any of Arianas albums)
Positions (8.5/10) it's just a great pop record
34+35 (5/10) just catchyish
Motive (5/10) ^^

Shut up - terrible. I had to force my self to not skip after about 55 seconds. and that was already 30 seconds far too many.

34+35 - obviously going to be popular, boring as hell on a sonic level because there's no growth artistically what so ever. It's break up with your girlfriend with different lyrics

Motive -Upbeat disco pop, not bad on its face. Seems like Forever 21 shopping music imo. Literally can not understand her mumble singing for the first 20 seconds of the pre-chorus every time. Doja came in with her usual verse. It was pretty fitting but a boring dub for both

Just Like Magic - Mariah Carey intro acrobatics, drunk in love vibe track. I can't tell if they censored the album or she's incorporate random pausing in her words, she sounds pretty drunk at some points but I get that its her overall song now. It's a song about manifestation and disconnecting virtually.

Off the table - you would not listen to this song unless you love absolutely slow moving R&B. Her vocals are strong on this song but the harmonic vocals have officially inundated me

Six Thirty - rap singing like Kehlani, lyrically the same as 7 rings. It's a cute little song but another boring pseudo-bop

Safety net - Bryson tiller type track, her tonal quality is extremely similar to her songs with 2chainz rule the world. Ty had a much better verse and I don't care for him. Their harmonies don't pair well whatsoever.

my hair - nice bass track that reminds you of seventies tracks or Elle Varner circa 2011 / Jazmine Sullivan. Again you can't hear what she's saying AT ALL except for "Ooh baby" and "my hair" (sometimes)

nasty - skip. skip. skip. skip. it's like the rest but its a boring throwaway. this album is playing like a long ass playlist and not an album that required effort or money

west side - her Alicia keys body snatch moment. unmemorable chorus. unmemorable song. a super fan would forget it exists

love language - dua lipa vibe track without the catchiness. skip

positions - bright and poppy like a fresh Justin Bieber track. Feels very "Yummy" by Bieber in production. Obviously the best song on the album as it was the single. IT IS THE ONLY GOOD SONG

obvious - BORING. SAME TRACK. NOT MEMORABLE

POV - Sounds like The Weeknd Rolling Stone instrumentally. Still not an interesting song at all. It's not memorable.

I just recently realized I truly like her music lol she’s vocally gifted. Her new album is very pop with super light R&B influence. Is the sound groundbreaking? No not at all. But will I listen to this more instead of the music that’s been coming out from other artists lately? Yes. Purely bc of the vocals.

I am finally giving the album a listen while I work.
I love her voice, and I love the sounds/beats to the songs, but yes, a lot of these will be unmemorable in the long run.
that being said, my faves in no particular order:
west side
nasty
positions
my hair
safety net
love language

curious to know how old everyone is comming in this thread?
20s? 30s?

Jmills

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,314 5,851 2,833
Alleybux
I’ve listened to the album a couple of times, and I agree that it is boring and sounds like one long song after a certain point. I just skipped through songs 5-13, and they are all indistinguishable to me with the exception of My Hair.

I don’t think any of the individual songs are weak or “trash” at all. I think I’ll like all of them when interspersed in a shuffled playlist of Ariana’s previous works. But I agree that it gets very one-note as an album.

I see a few people commenting on how short the songs are, but I don’t think any of them feel short.

I think it’s unfortunate that Ariana wants to be an R&B artist because, while she has a beautiful voice, I don’t think she has the tone or grit for R&B. I think a lot of these songs fell a little flat, but would have been magical if sang by someone with a deeper, more soulful voice. I think removing the processing done on her voice would have helped tremendously. A small part of what makes POV work to me is that I can hear the imperfections in her voice. The polished sound just doesn’t convey anything to me on the previous songs on the album. I’ve seen a lot of people say that the second half of the album is strongest, and I agree with that lyrically, but sonically, I think the first four tracks suit Ariana best.

I don’t think her enunciation was that bad though. I think Problem and The Light is Coming are incomprehensible, but I can actually understand what she’s saying most of the time on this album.

Even though I find Safety Net to be kind of boring, Ty’s singing is the standout to me on the album at this point. Even though I think POV is also kind of boring, I think POV is the best song on the album.

I don’t like Ariana’s whistling on this album. My favorite thing about Ariana’s voice is how clear her tone is in her higher registers. Her whistle is really breathy though, and it sounds like she has trouble forming words while whistling, so the whistling at the end of My Hair didn’t hit for me at all. That being said, I don’t think she had any stunning vocal moments on this album.

I’m curious to see what she does next. I hope she doesn’t give us another TU,N apology album after this. I loved Sweetener. I think that sound was mature and suited her voice so well. I think her fans hold her back because a lot of them want Ariana to be a popstar, but Ariana has clearly said from the beginning that she doesn’t want that. I want her to go ahead and commit to R&B (preferably Pop&B because it suits her better) and start working on her authentic sound.
Her idea of rnb is off. I feel ike she should of tried to do a more traditional rnb vs trendy rnb that will die off in 3 yrs max. She has more of a voice for 90s rnb vs what is being done now and she has the range for "traditional" rnb than current. And this is what all pop music and rnb music sound like, so it's hard to not still classify what she did as rnb vs pop.

Caramel Flava

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
315,039 9,063 1,348
Alleybux
I only like 3 songs of Ari w/1 being Love Me Harder

I listened through this album & it reminded me of Bieber’s Purpose album (which was basically an R&B album that a black artist would’ve bodied)

& I kept saying a BW would’ve slated this album & left no crumbs.

Ame

A Libra's hoe
Reaction score
Reactions
21,990 842 1,316
Alleybux
Jaguar EP >>>> this snooze fest

Right?!?

Supersonic pussycat
Just like a jaguar, silky black

So let me climb your wood like that
You got nine times to come hit that

tenor.gif

GlamourDoll

Fairy Glam Mother ‍♀️
Reaction score
Reactions
70,210 2,780 428
Alleybux
I just came to say “Obvious” is a bop!! My 3rd fave behind Safety Net & Nasty

Goddess422

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
12,575 307 102
Alleybux
Off the table is fantastic. It's really the only track on the album worth a damn, even though I jam to positions. I think the lyrics are powerful and I felt her lingering sadness over Mac's death.

Reaction score
Reactions
478 2
Alleybux
Victoria must’ve saved her better songs for herself this time. Positions is so boring everyone thought the titile track was boring and a teaser. it’s actually the most stand out song

LOOOOOL my friends and I said the same thing!!! Victoria is getting smart. I love me some Victoria, she needs to stop being Ari's shadow

Jmills

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
168,314 5,851 2,833
Alleybux
Listening to her ballads with the weeknd and ty dolla signs and hearing how a stronger male vocalist would of been able to alib battle her at the end and made a more rnb like song(s) and.vocally made it a better album. But these weak male singers, ty for sure, made potentially great duet ballads just meh at best. Kevin ross, dvsn, avery wilson, Jacob latimore, sir, pj morton, etc

Glizzy

Extended Hiatus Due to Disrespect Received
BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
166,558 5,195 2,971
Alleybux
Listening to her ballads with the weeknd and ty dolla signs and hearing how a stronger male vocalist would of been able to alib battle her at the end and made a more rnb like song(s) and.vocally made it a better album. But these weak male singers, ty for sure, made potentially great duet ballads just meh at best. Kevin ross, dvsn, avery wilson, Jacob latimore, sir, pj morton, etc

dont give her any ideas
tired of white singers disrespecting r&b

norcal611

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,423 43 52
Alleybux
I actually like Ari's new album. My Hair is showing her maturity - smooth and just flows. Love Language reminds me of walking around London or something - got a NY/Jersey house + UK influence in there somewhere. Obvious is a bop and 34+35 is kinda funny, especially coming from Ari. I see Tye ## 6IGN is on everyone's album these days. :LOL: Overall 3.8/5.

margaery

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,541 12 8
Alleybux
Finally listened to the album! Best songs are Positions, My Hair, and POV, and the two are because they sound like the music I heard growing up. 34+35 gets a pass since the lyrics are lowkey comedic. I been drinkin' coffee, I been eatin' healthy...

TerribleFemaleArgusfish-max-1mb.gif

Doja Cat was the best part in Motive but that whole song is mall music material, nothing more. The others are worse. It's not as bad as people makes it seem, it's not that boring, it's just a completely forgettable album like Sweetener. I wouldn't listen to it all again except for the songs I mentioned here. Yes, even Motive. We're still quarantining where I live and I miss shopping lol.

And yes, I capitalized the letters of the titles. I'm sick of this lowercase BS trend. Someone tell these artists their album tracklists aren't tweets...

Last edited:

sleepguru

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,857 62 4
Alleybux

This is what I was saying but then again they're too good to be on a project like this.

Reaction score
Reactions
7,000 67 62
Alleybux
Okaaayyy, Ari! I honestly was not expecting this album to be so good! I honestly feel like every song is good and I didn’t skip once after my first listen-through.

RnB Ari is best Ari honestly. I never liked her as a strictly pop artist. She was too non-descript.

margaery

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
1,541 12 8
Alleybux
See now Positions being sung by a male artist, with minimal lyric changes is a concept! I'd love to hear a straight male singing proudly about being in the kitchen for his lady and meeting moms. That would be a good marriage of masculine and feminine energy, like Positions would've been if Ari had sung about being soft and strong for her man....

Thanks to you and that other font who mentioned it, this is all I've listened to today!

It sounds good as a duet too! Ariana better call up Justin Bieber or Shawn Mendes and get on that remix real quick...

Now all I need is a competent male cover artist to do it with the original BG music :cry: A Noah Centineo look alike already tried to but he overkilled his vocals with autotune...

Bonus: POV sang by a man. Y'all will kill me but this is my favorite version now. Imagine a man with emotional depth. Unrealistic af but imagine :ROFLMAO:

Dee Cho

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
2,636 30 33
Alleybux
So I didn't see anyone talk about this.. I think one of the issues is how Ariana sings these days. I relistened to Yours Truly and forgot how rich her voice was and she was a belter. Like damn. But now, she does this breathy sorta weightless "yuh" "yuh" singing that works with pop/trap beats, but now that she's pushing towards Rnb again she needs to strengthen her voice again. Like it's just getting lost in this more rnb pop ish direction of hers. And it didn't help that a lot of the songs sound similar. I don't hate hate this album... I'm gonna consider it a transition for her lmao.

canadiangirl

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
33,706 1,364 1,174
Alleybux
Really loving this album. I can never react too fast, usually takes me about a week of steady listening.

My favourites:
just like magic
34+35
west side
positions
safety net
pov
obivous
my hair

Great album!!!

Hoppowhodis

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,015 30
Alleybux
Finally listening and taking everything all in.

Favs are POV and love language. The rest are tolerable good. I didn’t like any of the features on the album though. I’m not a huge fan of Doja or Ty sound. I need to listen to Off the Table some more to see if it grows on me.

Queenbeys

Ariana's repulsed face
Reaction score
Reactions
3,197 323 323
Alleybux
Abel ate her up on her own album. That’s sad.

LOL that's a damn lie she ate him up, all her belts gave me straight up 90s girl group belts. I was quite disapointed with his verse tbh. He tried to get in his "WOOOHOOOOS" at the end but at that point she already owned the song

libralady

MVP
Reaction score
Reactions
5,214 184 101
Alleybux
FINALLY someone said it. I am an Ariana STAN but this sh!t is ridiculous. She peaked at dangerous woman. This new sound don’t even sound right from her

Listened to “Nasty” and heard

“This b!tch gon make me” & “whatcha waitin FO”...I can’t!

Ariana is a talented singer but these tracks are not authentic. It bothers me that there are black women behind her greatness

Someone said in that other Thread it was just going to be another Album with her "yuhs" over monotonous trap & b beats. Well...
This girl's supposedly got the juice, yet I remain parched and unimpressed. I've heard it all before, and it sounds better coming out the mouths of Black girls.

Off The Table (where she was outshined) & Love Language. That's it. And one of you stans tell her to stop with track listings in all lowercase.