Quantcast

Olympian Allyson Felix Breaks Usain Bolt's Record — 10 Months After Giving Birth

RisingPisces

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
99,779 2,080 622
Alleybux

Olympic runner Allyson Felix competing on Sunday

PATRICK SMITH/GETTY
Less than a year after welcoming her first child via an emergency cesarean section, Olympic gold medal runner Allyson Felix broke a record to move her past the fastest man alive.

On Sunday, Felix, 33, won gold at the track and field World Championships in Doha, Qatar, while racing in a mixed-gender 4×400 meter relay, according to CNN.

This latest victory means Felix now has 12 gold medals at the World Championships — which breaks a tie she held with fellow Olympic medalist Usain Bolt, considered the fastest man in history, who earned 11 gold medal wins at the championships before his retirement.

Felix’s record-breaking moment comes only about 10 months after she gave birth to daughter Camryn on Nov. 28.

At the time, Felix was experiencing severe preeclampsia, a pregnancy complication marked by high blood pressure in someone who doesn’t normally experience it, and sudden swelling in the face and hands. It is serious and can cause fatal complications, according to the Mayo Clinic.

After mother and daughter recovered from their health scare and Felix’s C-section, she went back to the track

“It’s different, definitely challenging. I think for any new mom when she returned to work just, you’re exhausted and you’re balancing your family and what it all looks like. So it’s no different from me,” Felix told PEOPLE in July of getting back to her training regimen in preparation for the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo.

RELATED: Olympic Runner Allyson Felix Has a New Partnership That’s Championing Female Athletes and Mothers

Allyson Felix holding Camryn
”I am just getting used to what the new normal looks like and getting my routine down and all of that,” she continued. “But I couldn’t be happier to do that and to have the support, to be able to come home from a long day of training and to see my daughter and her smiling face. It really is like the best thing in the world.”

In the months following the birth of her daughter, Felix was involved in a high-profile dispute with former sponsor Nike, which was sparked after she wrote an op-ed in The New York Times where she wrote that the brand wanted to pay her 70 percent less following her first pregnancy.

Felix explained to PEOPLE that she was first inspired to share her story after two of her former Nike teammates, Olympic runners Alysia Montaño and Kara Goucher, broke their silence on the brand’s treatment of their pregnant female athletes.

RELATED: Allyson Felix Denounces Nike For Failing to Support Athletes During Pregnancy

-- Black women are so powerful!!

For The Culture

LSA's Lady Whistledown
Reaction score
Reactions
262,045 4,102 1,980
Alleybux
I remember that article with Nike and now look at her!

I bet their raggedy asses sick!

I wish her nothing but the best. I wonder who her new sponsor is?

RisingPisces

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
99,779 2,080 622
Alleybux
The fastest person alive is officially a Black woman!! Damn...they hate to see it!!

Red Sonja

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
261,619 10,514 8,098
Alleybux
Amazing person no doubt the GOAT.

So happy for her! I remember when she first started. Her work ethic is out of this world.

Prodigal

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
21,403 1,916 2,593
Alleybux
The fastest person alive is officially a Black woman!! Damn...they hate to see it!!
Allyson Felix is amazing but she is not the fastest woman alive, let alone the fastest person alive. She beat a medal record, not a speed record.

makemeproud

BANNED
Reaction score
Reactions
92,835 2,629 822
Alleybux
I remember that article with Nike and now look at her!

I bet their raggedy asses sick!

I wish her nothing but the best. I wonder who her new sponsor is?
Isn't she still with adidas? I know they paid for her full tuition at USC. Love Allyson and I'm so proud of her!