Quantcast

once saved always saved, can you lose salvation

Reaction score
Reactions
3,337 47 17
Alleybux
After years of following pastors i started to study the bible for myself. Come to find out a lot of heresies are being taught behind the pullpit. and i have changed my believes on a number of things and i would like to know how others feel about these things and one of them is this subject of your salvation.

I just want to hear others opinion on this subject, please discuss:

To all my christians on this board; do you believe that once you're saved that you're always saved?

Or do you believe that you have to repent of your sins and that you can lose your salvation

Tanya Turner

I can only be me
Reaction score
Reactions
54,300 190 38
Alleybux
I think being saved is just the beginning of your new life , and you continually have to work on following the correct path.

And you should keep repenting of the sins you feel you commit if is truly in your heart.

I don't believe is a one time only thing , since you are human and are going to commit more mistakes.

But salvation is a individual thing , so everyone has their views of it.

moniquel

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
14,588 169 72
Alleybux
Great question! I was wondering the same thing too!

***waits for more replies***

Reaction score
Reactions
3,337 47 17
Alleybux
I think being saved is just the beginning of your new life , and you continually have to work on following the correct path.

And you should keep repenting of the sins you feel you commit if is truly in your heart.

I don't believe is a one time only thing , since you are human and are going to commit more mistakes.

But salvation is a individual thing , so everyone has their views of it.

But how do you know if you go to heaven and if you repented enough?

I believe from what i read from the bible, that once you're saved that you are always saved. No it doesnt mean you can live your life how ever you want 'because what you sow you will reap. But you'll reap in this life not in the afterlife.

I'll wait for more answers and than come back my believes up with scripture.
But thatnks for your reply

kris_517

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
368,818 5,350 1,216
Alleybux
To all my christians on this board; do you believe that once you're saved that you're always saved?

I think unless you choose another path for yourself that you are saved. Once a person accepts salvation they are no less saved than someone who accepted Christ years before.

Or do you believe that you have to repent of your sins and that you can lose your salvation?

I do believe we continually have to repent for I sins daily and I'm not sure about lose yor salvation but I do know people choose to turn their backs on good so, I'm pretty sure it's possible.

freeatlast

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I don't believe in once saved always saved,take a look @ Judas he walked with Yahshua (Jesus), he talked with him, and he was one choosen to follow Yahshua (Jesus),so I'm sure he was save,but the devil entered his heart.I think it's safe to say he lost his salvation

BE BLESSED!!!

MERICHRISTMAS

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
28,182 179 64
Alleybux
Salvation/sanctification is a lifelong process, accepting The Lord as Savior is just the beginning.

God does not expect us to be “perfect” although we have been saved, he knows we have failings since we are human (romans 3:23). Since we are Saved but not perfect God forgives us for our sins since we are “transparent” before The Lord (he sees right through us into our hearts) and knows that sins of the saved are not intentional, spiteful nor mean spirited (Psalms 32, 1st John 1:9). So when we ask for forgiveness for our sins be it known or unknown, the Saved are forgiven of their transgressions.

I always say God is a God of

2nd Chances

3 Chances

2,234,980,123.45986 Chances! LOL

Now there are a lot of folks that sit in church and cry out I’m saved but as I stated above God sees our true selves, so just because you claim salvation it is not a guarantee that you will be one with the Lord on the day of Judgement. (Matt. 7:21-23)

So I guess the best way for me to answer your question is yes once you are saved you are always saved because you proclaimed it, but unless you live your life according to the Word of God (which can only be done with the existance of his spirit within you) your entrance into heaven is doubtful.

DCKitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,766 3 2
Alleybux
I believe that once you're saved, you're always saved. I do not believe that you can lose your salvation. I do believe that God can turn you over to a depraved mind, meaning, he sort of takes his hand out of your life. Not that he has abandoned you and if you change your ways, He will accept you. But you can be turned over to a depraved mind. I also believe that we should repent each time we sin but only if we're truly mean it.

I think people get so confused about this because we really can't tell a person's heart, what their true motivations are. For example, I know I may get flack by saying this from fellow Christians but this is honestly how I feel... I don't think that everyone that goes down to the front of the church and give their life to Christ really get saved, especially not on Easter. People feel pressured by well meaning family and friends, they get caught up in the emotion of it all. everyone is pressuring them to go down and they just want people to shut up, so they do, and it looks like they gave their life but it's not in their heart and that's what counts. As humans, we judge actions. God knows the heart, that's why it's so hard for us to tell who is saved and who isn't. We can't judge a person's salvation.

authentic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,865 1
Alleybux
great topic OP....I've struggled with this since the time i've come to Christ. But at this point, i'm absolutely convinced (Soley based on the Language of Scripture) that it is possible for a born-again believe to lose thier salvation.

Hebrews 6:4-8

4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

Hebrews 10:26-29

26For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

2 Peter 2:20

20For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. 21For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

*I can go on and on, but i think the warning to believers are direct and pretty much self explanatory.

authentic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,865 1
Alleybux
I believe that once you're saved, you're always saved. I do not believe that you can lose your salvation. I do believe that God can turn you over to a depraved mind, meaning, he sort of takes his hand out of your life. Not that he has abandoned you and if you change your ways, He will accept you. But you can be turned over to a depraved mind. I also believe that we should repent each time we sin but only if we're truly mean it.

I think people get so confused about this because we really can't tell a person's heart, what their true motivations are. For example, I know I may get flack by saying this from fellow Christians but this is honestly how I feel... I don't think that everyone that goes down to the front of the church and give their life to Christ really get saved, especially not on Easter. People feel pressured by well meaning family and friends, they get caught up in the emotion of it all. everyone is pressuring them to go down and they just want people to shut up, so they do, and it looks like they gave their life but it's not in their heart and that's what counts. As humans, we judge actions. God knows the heart, that's why it's so hard for us to tell who is saved and who isn't. We can't judge a person's salvation.

I wouldn't give you a hard time over this, because i understand how you got to believe that. It really sounds good! Which is why i would recommend that you read the scriptures in its context regarding this, If you haven't already...

Tanya Turner

I can only be me
Reaction score
Reactions
54,300 190 38
Alleybux

I believe from what i read from the bible, that once you're saved that you are always saved. No it doesnt mean you can live your life how ever you want 'because what you sow you will reap. But you'll reap in this life not in the afterlife.

You will not know , until the judgment day comes.

Theres a reason I mention if you truly feel you have sinned. Salvation is not one size fits all. I believe God is understanding and he will judge us each individually and the path he put us on.

reneenay

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
1,108 3 1
Alleybux

Once saved - always saved. Sin and inequity can cause you to lose fellowship with God but you are still saved nonetheless.

DCKitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,766 3 2
Alleybux
I wouldn't give you a hard time over this, because i understand how you got to believe that. It really sounds good! Which is why i would recommend that you read the scriptures in its context regarding this, If you haven't already...

Thanks for your comments but exactly what are you referring to when you say "read the scripture in its context regarding this? I posted a few different beliefs there, lol.

I did want to ask, the scripture you provided from 2 Peter. Are you saying that's your scripture to support the belief that people can lose their salvation? That's not what I get from that scripture at all. 2 Peter talks about FALSE TEACHERS and their destruction. It doesn't speak of salvation. 2 Peter 2 is as follows:

1 But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them—bringing swift destruction on themselves. 2 Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute. 3 In their greed these teachers will exploit you with fabricated stories. Their condemnation has long been hanging over them, and their destruction has not been sleeping.

4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but sent them to hell,[a] putting them in chains of darkness[b] to be held for judgment; 5 if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others; 6 if he condemned the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah by burning them to ashes, and made them an example of what is going to happen to the ungodly; 7 and if he rescued Lot, a righteous man, who was distressed by the depraved conduct of the lawless 8 (for that righteous man, living among them day after day, was tormented in his righteous soul by the lawless deeds he saw and heard)— 9 if this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue the godly from trials and to hold the unrighteous for punishment on the day of judgment. 10 This is especially true of those who follow the corrupt desire of the flesh[c] and despise authority.
Bold and arrogant, they are not afraid to heap abuse on celestial beings; 11 yet even angels, although they are stronger and more powerful, do not heap abuse on such beings when bringing judgment on them from[d] the Lord. 12 But these people blaspheme in matters they do not understand. They are like unreasoning animals, creatures of instinct, born only to be caught and destroyed, and like animals they too will perish.
13 They will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is to carouse in broad daylight. They are blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you.[e] 14 With eyes full of adultery, they never stop sinning; they seduce the unstable; they are experts in greed—an accursed brood! 15 They have left the straight way and wandered off to follow the way of Balaam son of Bezer,[f] who loved the wages of wickedness. 16 But he was rebuked for his wrongdoing by a donkey—an animal without speech—who spoke with a human voice and restrained the prophet’s madness. 17 These people are springs without water and mists driven by a storm. Blackest darkness is reserved for them. 18 For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of the flesh, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. 19 They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for “people are slaves to whatever has mastered them.” 20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and are overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning. 21 It would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than to have known it and then to turn their backs on the sacred command that was passed on to them. 22 Of them the proverbs are true: “A dog returns to its vomit,”[g] and, “A sow that is washed returns to her wallowing in the mud.”

In the bolded sections it clearly speaks of how God saved, even in times of great sin. Why? Not because of acts or deeds but because they were righteous! Righteouness is determined by the heart. The false teachers spoken of in this chapter of scripture were unrighteous and blasephemous (sp). See v. 13 - they will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Look at verse 17-19, you will see it's clearly speaking of those that purposely lead others astray. This isn't a scripture that supports losing your salvation.

DCKitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,766 3 2
Alleybux
I wanted to share this website. I've found it helpful when I had different questions and wanted some quick answers on what the bible had to say. It's www.gotquestions.org. You can search by topic, phrase or whatever. If you can't find your specific question (they ask you to search first, just like they do on LSA), you can e-mail your question to them and they will answer within a few days. I know this for a fact because I've e-mailed two questions and they got back to me. They also have a question of the week that can be e-mailed to you. I love that they back everything up with scripture. Here is what they said about Christians losing their salvation:
Question: "Can a Christian lose salvation?"

Answer:
Before this question is answered, the term “Christian” must be defined. A “Christian” is not a person who has said a prayer, or walked down an aisle, or been raised in a Christian family. While each of these things can be a part of the Christian experience, they are not what “makes” a Christian. A Christian is a person who has, by faith, received and fully trusted in Jesus Christ as the only Savior (John 3:16; Acts 16:31; Ephesians 2:8-9).

So, with this definition in mind, can a Christian lose salvation? Perhaps the best way to answer this crucially important question is to examine what the Bible says occurs at salvation, and to study what losing salvation would therefore entail. Here are a few examples:

A Christian is a new creation. “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” (2 Corinthians 5:17). This verse speaks of a person becoming an entirely new creature as a result of being “in Christ.” For a Christian to lose salvation, the new creation would have to be canceled and reversed.

A Christian is redeemed. “For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect” (1 Peter 1:18-19). The word “redeemed” refers to a purchase being made, a price being paid. For a Christian to lose salvation, God Himself would have to revoke His purchase that He paid for with the precious blood of Christ.

A Christian is justified. “Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ” (Romans 5:1). To “justify” means to “declare righteous.” All those who receive Jesus as Savior are “declared righteous” by God. For a Christian to lose salvation, God would have to go back on His Word and “un-declare” what He had previously declared.

A Christian is promised eternal life. “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16). Eternal life is a promise of eternity (forever) in heaven with God. God promises, “Believe and you will have eternal life.” For a Christian to lose salvation, eternal life would have to be taken away. If a Christian is promised to live forever, how then can God break this promise by taking away eternal life?

A Christian is guaranteed glorification. “And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified” (Romans 8:30). As we learned in Romans 5:1, justification is declared at the moment of faith. According to Romans 8:30, glorification is guaranteed for all those whom God justifies. Glorification refers to a Christian receiving a perfect resurrection body in heaven. If a Christian can lose salvation, then Romans 8:30 is in error, because God could not guarantee glorification for all those whom He predestines, calls, and justifies.

Many more illustrations of what occurs at salvation could be shared. Even these few make it abundantly clear that a Christian cannot lose salvation. Most, if not all, of what the Bible says happens to us when we receive Jesus Christ as Savior would be invalidated if salvation could be lost. Salvation cannot be reversed. A Christian cannot be un-newly created. Redemption cannot be undone. Eternal life cannot be lost and still be considered eternal. If a Christian can lose salvation, God would have to go back on His Word and change His mind—two things that Scripture tells us God never does.

The most frequent objections to the belief that a Christian cannot lose salvation are 1) What about those who are Christians and continually live an immoral lifestyle? 2) What about those who are Christians but later reject the faith and deny Christ? The problem with these two objections is the phrase “who are Christians.” The Bible declares that a true Christian will not live a continually immoral lifestyle (1 John 3:6). The Bible declares that anyone who departs the faith is demonstrating that he never truly was a Christian (1 John 2:19). Therefore, neither objection is valid. Christians do not continually live immoral lifestyles, nor do they reject the faith and deny Christ. Such actions are proof that they were never redeemed.

No, a Christian cannot lose salvation. Nothing can separate a Christian from God’s love (Romans 8:38-39). Nothing can remove a Christian from God’s hand (John 10:28-29). God is both willing and able to guarantee and maintain the salvation He has given us. Jude 24-25, “To Him who is able to keep you from falling and to present you before his glorious presence without fault and with great joy—to the only God our Savior be glory, majesty, power and authority, through Jesus Christ our Lord, before all ages, now and forevermore! Amen.”

Recommended Resource: Eternal Security by Charles Stanley.

Glen Coco

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
82,958 1,396 687
Alleybux
I think we will be accountable for our actions.

You have to think about what does "saved" mean. What are you "saved" from? To me, being "saved" means being saved from separation from God, both now and eternally. In the Garden, Adam sinned and then he hid, and God asked him, "Where are you?" He asked him not because He was looking for him and couldn't find him because Adam's hiding spot was so good, lol, He asked him as a question so that Adam could self reflect. He was asking "Where are you in relation to me?" Because Adam had moved away. God is always in the same place, but sin causes us to separate ourselves from Him due to our shame.
Being saved simply means turning away from the things that cause you to be separated from God. Can you lose that closeness with Him by filling your life with sin? Yes. Can you lose that salvation, I believe you can.

Simply_Me

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,161 3 4
Alleybux
When Christians are saved, they are always saved. (scriptural) A saved Christian isn't merely a person that talks it, but walks it as well. Christians have the desire to turn away from sin and follow God, wholeheartedly. Now, does this mean that Christians will not sin? No, because of our sinful nature. But, when we do sin, we are to repent and turn from that sin. I must assert that we are not to sin intentionally and think we will be saved, because that is not the way of a true Christian, nor God's way. God knows everyone's hearts.

*My 2 cents*

DaleTiffany

Starter
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
I firmly believe the word in that nothing can pluck you out of the hand of salvation. Once you have developed a personal relationship with Christ and accepted him a syour savior, you are his. That does not mean that sometimes your fire will be like that of a torch burning bright and others more like a flicker than a flame. It's life. We mess up , we doubt, we are sometimes afraid, but if you remember who you are and whose you are..you will always return, no matter how far you drift.

ms_svelte

svelte
Reaction score
Reactions
88,342 5,618 8,815
Alleybux
god gives us all free will.

1) to say that we are forced to be saved even if we choose not to follow christ any more, would mean that god is revoking our right to free will. he wouldnt do that. a person CAN turn away from god and his 'goodness' be naught..the scripture were posted above.

2) god does expect perfection from us THRU him. if you are a christian that truly believes in the power of christ, then you have the power (thru god) to not sin. christ told us to be perfect - "Be perfect, as my Father in heaven is perfect." christ was a living example of being a perfect human THRU the power of his father. christ exercised no power of his own while he was on this earth. if he did, he would not have qualified to be a sacrifice for our sins.
if he lets us into heaven with unforgiven sin, he'd have to let satan back in and that aint happening - god is fair.

3) we are also told that we have no excuse whatsoever for sinning. being human IS NOT an excuse. the bible clearly states in 1 Cor. 10:13

There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

the once saved always saved philosophy teaches people that they can go to heaven with unforgiven sin and that being human means that your destined to sin even after youve come to Christ. the bible doesnt teach that. imo the philosophy totally devalues the power of god. he didnt save us to keep us in our sin but to deliver out it.

we cant be righteous w/o coming to christ, asking for forgiveness and then walking with GOD'S POWER in the light.

when pastors/people want to make excuses for their sin, they try to minimize it and say 'oh well it cant be done'. they conveniently dont add the "on my own w/o the power of god" part. doing so would be self-incriminating.

most of us like the warm and fuzzy and dont want to hear the above
- but truth doesnt stop being truth just because we dont want to follow it today.

DCKitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,766 3 2
Alleybux
Does anyone have a scripture that says we are to seek salvation over and over again? We have scripture that support the belief that you don't but where is the scripture that supports you are to ask for salvation over and over again? Do we accept Christ over and over every day? Or once we accept him, that's it? I understand repenting for sin but that's different than salvation. Are people giving their life to Christ again and again, each and every time they sin? How does it work, losing your salvation and how can you get it back? Accpeting Christ again? What if you never denied Christ but you simply commited a sin. Is there a need to accept him again, since you never denied Him in the first place?

Reaction score
Reactions
3,337 47 17
Alleybux
Ok, to me once you're saved, you're always saved. It is so clear in scripture. But you have to read the bible in it's context. There are pastors that will give you a part of scripture and don't give you the context.

I was once so unsure about my salvation and the day i found out, what is truth, from the bible, it was such a relieve! And it feels good to be able to say that i know for sure that if i die today i will go to heaven. No if and's or but's about it.

I think it is important to know how people think you get saved, before i can tell you what it means. Maybe some have different def. of getting saved.

Getting saved, means BELIEVING on the Lord Jesus Christ as our one and only saviour! And that is alll it takes. Some people believe in works also, but the bible warns against that.
And also the part of scripture where christ will say to the people who say did WORKS in His name: He will tell them I NEVER! knew you.

Even Christ's death burial and ressurection is a symbol of how you are ALWAYS saved. Nowhere in the bible it says that you have to repent of your sins TO GET SAVED. The phrase repent OF YOUR SINS, never even occurs in the bible.

And what doe repent mean? because repent means to change your mind (look it up in the bible) and God repented the most! it doesn't mean that you return from sin, Because God never sins. When God said it repented Him that He made men, He meant He had a change of heart.

And the word is SAVED! it ends with a D it already happened!
And i can go on and on about this. I will sit down later with actual scripture but don't have too much time right now.

It brings a great freedom to know that i don't have to worry about where my soul is going when i die. It is the GOOD news.

CaramelCutie757

Non Conformist
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
36,856 1,219 1,730
Alleybux
I think its not easy to be saved because we have so many things that is constantly coming against us to test our faith. We are not perfect we make mistakes sometimes.

I think even though we make mistakes, we have to still take responsibility for our actions and go to God and repent. I think just because we accept Jesus in our hearts for salvation it doesn't end there. Some of us feel like and say those famous words everytime they sin. "God knows my heart" and they continue to sin and act like God is condoning their behavior. I think once you enter a covenant with God, he is always there for you All that he ask for you is to live your life according to his principles. When you do that blessing will come but when you step out of that covenant zone, you won't be blessed. God is all about action instead of words.

He knows how we make mistakes but I don't think he approves of not owning up to them and act as if they don't exist. I mean what's the point of having Christ in your life if you don't understand why he died? Every ounce of blood shed that he did was for our mistakes, our pain etc. So I think if you don't understand that or fail to acknowledge that part of the covenant and reject that, you won't be favored.

To be saved you have to accept Christ and understand why he is in your life. Know that you can make mistakes but at the same time be mindful about God's life principles and that you can't do wrong over and over again without learning from your mistakes.

Thats my opinion.

Simply_Me

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,161 3 4
Alleybux
@BlakkaRose So, explain Acts 2:38, 2 Peter 3:9, Act 17:30, Luke 13:3, Luke 15:7, etc. in terms of repenting for sins.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,337 47 17
Alleybux
@BlakkaRose So, explain Acts 2:38, 2 Peter 3:9, Act 17:30, Luke 13:3, Luke 15:7, etc. in terms of repenting for sins.

Acts 2:38
King James Version (KJV)
38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

If you read the whole chapter you will see that he talks to people and gives them the gospel and he tells them that they need to repent (from not believing to believing in ) Jesus Christ. for the remission of sins. Their sins will be taken away. (in the afterlife!!!!) and because their sins are remitted they will receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

2P3:9The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

God doesnt want anyone to go to hell but that they should repent(change their believe!)

29Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

30And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:

31Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Again change your ways from believing in false gods into believing into Christ.

Luke 13 1There were present at that season some that told him of the Galilaeans, whose blood Pilate had mingled with their sacrifices.

2And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?

3I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

4Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?

5I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.

Jesus told them that if they would not repent (change their believe, (mind you he was talking to unbelievers!) they would not be better of as the Galileans they were talking about, they would perish.

6And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.

7I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Again the word here is repentance. What you need to understand that a just person is someone who is saved! The bible says that Lot is Saved, Samson (who committed suicide as well as saul are saved!) A sinner is someone who is not a believer in Christ.

After you are saved, God sees you trough Jesus, that is why you are without sin ( your soul that is, your body is still sinful) . That is why in the ressurection you get a new BODY, that is incorruptible.

Just read about the old man and the new man. The body is still your old self, it is the spirit that is renewed. your soul goes to heaven? hell. That is why Jesus told Nicodemus he had to be born again, because his spirit had to be born again.

If repentance means turning from your sins, than why does God repent more than anyone else in the bible

Simply_Me

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,161 3 4
Alleybux
@BlakkaRose I understand your definition meaning to believe, but that doesn't change the fact that the Bible says to repent for sins. Do you get my drift?

Vaughn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,318 1 2
Alleybux
After years of following pastors i started to study the bible for myself. Come to find out a lot of heresies are being taught behind the pullpit. and i have changed my believes on a number of things and i would like to know how others feel about these things and one of them is this subject of your salvation.

I just want to hear others opinion on this subject, please discuss:

Or do you believe that you have to repent of your sins and that you can lose your salvation

Hbr 13:5 [Let your] conversation [be] without covetousness; [and be] content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

This is a quote from another scripture since it is said, “he hath said”, this being established we can know that God won’t leave us.

But there are those that leave Him who were in fact not of Him;

1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Jud 1:12 ¶ These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds [they are] without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

There are those that have left the faith and don’t know it, how do you know it you might say? They begin to preach another Jesus, which the bible says is not, while not preaching Jesus Christ and Him crucified. So it’s all in the message or lack thereof.

And then there are those that plain and simply stop persevering or enduring sound (healthy) doctrine, as well as those that have been pimped and love not the truth and are willing to ignore the truth of the holy writ. Who in fact would have others do their homework or studies of God’s word for them.

We are not saved until our feet strike Zion, so to speak or until we in fact reach glory, heaven or The Father (His abode). So I’ll leave you with the following verse;

Mat 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all [men] for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

You've got to make it to the finish line!!

MorningGlory

Starter
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
copyChkboxOff.gif
Mat 7:21Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
copyChkboxOff.gif
Mat 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mat 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mat 7:24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

I believe it depends on a person's personal relationship with Christ. It's not a 1 time thing deal. Its more of a daily walking with the Father. If you're not close to Him, walking with Him I think you fall away. The more you walk with Him, the more you become like Him. The more you walk with the world, the more you become like the world. :love:

DCKitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,766 3 2
Alleybux
Hbr 13:5 [Let your] conversation [be] without covetousness; [and be] content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

This is a quote from another scripture since it is said, “he hath said”, this being established we can know that God won’t leave us.

But there are those that leave Him who were in fact not of Him;

1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Jud 1:12 ¶ These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds [they are] without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

There are those that have left the faith and don’t know it, how do you know it you might say? They begin to preach another Jesus, which the bible says is not, while not preaching Jesus Christ and Him crucified. So it’s all in the message or lack thereof.

And then there are those that plain and simply stop persevering or enduring sound (healthy) doctrine, as well as those that have been pimped and love not the truth and are willing to ignore the truth of the holy writ. Who in fact would have others do their homework or studies of God’s word for them.

We are not saved until our feet strike Zion, so to speak or until we in fact reach glory, heaven or The Father (His abode). So I’ll leave you with the following verse;

Mat 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all [men] for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

You've got to make it to the finish line!!

I was going to post the first scripture, you used, Hebrews 13:5, because God will never leave us nor forsake us. That is totally true.

Now, for the rest of your comment, are you saying that we aren't saved until we die? That's what it sounds like when you say, you have to make it until the finish line.

Vaughn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,318 1 2
Alleybux
I was going to post the first scripture, you used, Hebrews 13:5, because God will never leave us nor forsake us. That is totally true.

Now, for the rest of your comment, are you saying that we aren't saved until we die? That's what it sounds like when you say, you have to make it until the finish line.
What I'm saying is that we are ultimately saved, saved being past tense, when we have finished our course. Jesus work at securing our salvation is finished with Him having uttered that statement from the cross:

Jhn 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

We as saints are now overcoming, enduring, continuing, suffering, believing etc........as a process to be victorious i.e.

2Ti 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with [him]: if we deny [him], he also will deny us:

A lot of people got it twisted in the process of sanctification, holiness and justification that accompanies our walk with God

Rev 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Check the link below that applies to the word overcometh.........

Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for KJV

overcometh-1) to conquer

a) to carry off the victory, come off victorious

1) of Christ, victorious over all His foes

2) of Christians, that hold fast their faith even unto death against the power of their foes, and temptations and persecutions

Inquiring Mind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,038 1 2
Alleybux
I don't believe in once saved always saved,take a look @ Judas he walked with Yahshua (Jesus), he talked with him, and he was one choosen to follow Yahshua (Jesus),so I'm sure he was save,but the devil entered his heart.I think it's safe to say he lost his salvation

BE BLESSED!!!

Or, was it that he was never truly saved even though he walked with Jesus?

If one looks at it from that perspective, then a twist occurs, no?

This may upset some of the fonts with whom I chat in these threads regularly but I believe in OSAS. I can't get past John 3:16 and the thought of a gift.

We need not do anything to receive this gift of salvation except to believe in the one who saved us once and for all.

Jesus says none can be plucked from His father's hand (I believe I have the context correct--John 10"26-30 or so).

Paul reminds us in Romans 10:9-10 that we believe in our hearts and profess with our mouths and by this we are saved.

I believe that once one professes Christ, they are saved. I do believe we must repent of our sins but that process is sanctification and not salvation the way I understand it.

DCKitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,766 3 2
Alleybux
What I'm saying is that we are ultimately saved, saved being past tense, when we have finished our course. Jesus work at securing our salvation is finished with Him having uttered that statement from the cross:
Jhn 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

We as saints are now overcoming, enduring, continuing, suffering, believing etc........as a process to be victorious i.e.
2Ti 2:12 If we suffer, we shall also reign with [him]: if we deny [him], he also will deny us:

A lot of people got it twisted in the process of sanctification, holiness and justification that accompanies our walk with God

Rev 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

Check the link below that applies to the word overcometh.........

Blue Letter Bible - Search Results for KJV

overcometh-1) to conquer

a) to carry off the victory, come off victorious

1) of Christ, victorious over all His foes

2) of Christians, that hold fast their faith even unto death against the power of their foes, and temptations and persecutions

Ok, does finishing our course mean when we die? Once we get to heaven? yes or no? I'm just asking because I've never heard it presented that way and when I do my own bible study, I will like to study for myself. Please don't think I'm trying to contridict or anything. Just wanted to clarify that.

Inquiring Mind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,038 1 2
Alleybux
Ok, does finishing our course mean when we die? Once we get to heaven? yes or no? I'm just asking because I've never heard it presented that way and when I do my own bible study, I will like to study for myself. Please don't think I'm trying to contridict or anything. Just wanted to clarify that.

I would say it means when we die as are in a state of sleep until Jesus' return so we can't possible (in my mind) commit any more sins.

MorningGlory

Starter
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux

He that truely follows Christ is hated in the world. Not because of anything you did but because of the Holy Spirit of God in you. It goes against the evil in the world. But he that endure (those that don't fall away) (those that keep living for Christ against all odds) shall be saved. I'll never forget reading how the diciples were killed, beheaded,stoned etc. for following Christ wholeheartedly. They endured to the end. Faithful to the end.

I also wanted to say repenting it not just praying about/being sorry for your sins. Study and pray on what repenting truely means.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,337 47 17
Alleybux
and concerning Judas, the bible says he was a devil FROM THE BEGINNING. and the bible also warns us that there will be false teachers etc creepinjg into the church. Even Jesus ministry has one. That doesnt mean Jesu sdidnt know, He allowed it to be so for the fullfilling of the scriptures.

And the bible also tells us that even if you tell A lie that you are condemned, so nobody will go into heaven i guess

Vaughn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,318 1 2
Alleybux
Ok, does finishing our course mean when we die?

The ing in that sentence means that it is still an ongoing process that will eventually come to its completion, example…..

2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:

In the context of this verse you would have to look at 3 verses to get the full meaning.

2Ti 4:6 ¶ For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished [my] course, I have kept the faith:
2Ti 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

The Apostle Paul’s life was coming to an end and he knew it, and gave testimony to him personally being faithful to God. Further to the context of that whole chapter he, Paul, was giving Timothy a solemn charge to be faithful in and under difficulties that he, Timothy, was facing now and was going to face.

Read 2 Timothy 4.

Our course is repeat is, our life and the direction that we take. This is warfare or war as long as we live, so we fight. If you (people in general) are not fighting you’ve already lost and belong to the Adversary or the Devil.

Once we get to heaven?

You've conquered or overcome the world or the system thereof! To be there in the first place, the losers go to that hot place

yes or no?

The above statement answers this.

I'm just asking because I've never heard it presented that way and when I do my own bible study, I will like to study for myself. Please don't think I'm trying to contridict or anything. Just wanted to clarify that.
Question

So don't take it the wrong way;

Who's teaching your bible classes and how much time have they been in the faith?

You can PM if you don't want this to be public knowledge.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,337 47 17
Alleybux
Romans 4:5

But to him that worketh not, but believeth on Him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.”

Repenting of your sins is works!

"And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not." - Jonah 3:10

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

JOhn 6:47 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life

51I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever:

john 3 14And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: 15That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,337 47 17
Alleybux
john 5:24Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

Look i am not against repenting of your sins thats a good thing, but it has nothing to do with salvation.

God tells people to turn from their idols, false gods to be saved.

KeepItReal

General Manager
OLDHEAD
Reaction score
Reactions
Alleybux
No you can't lose your salvation, but we all must sit in the judgment seat in front of the Lord.

authentic

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,865 1
Alleybux
My point in providing those passages revolve around its language:

1. Who is the audience?
2. Why is the author giving a warning to the audience regarding staying in the faith?
3. What are the consequences of "Falling away" or being "tangled" again in sins, or continuing to "sin willfully"?

-Again i think the context is plain and the warning is for a specific purpose. If there is no way that a born again believer can fall away from the Lord, then why the warning?

DCKitty

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
13,766 3 2
Alleybux
Question

So don't take it the wrong way;

Who's teaching your bible classes and how much time have they been in the faith?

You can PM if you don't want this to be public knowledge.

No, I don't mind answering. At my church, depending on the class, a number of different people can teach the bible classes, either my Pastor or one of the Rev. or Deacons. I'm not sure how long they've all been in the faith, I just know about my Pastor but I know they aren't knew to Christ if that's what you wanted to know. I also listen to different radio ministries and participate in small group studies.

I was asking the questions because I've always heard people say that they are saved once they give their life to Christ. I mean, right then and there as they are breathing, walking and talking (smile). But it sounds like you are saying that even though we may accept Christ, we're not saved until we've finished our race and get to heaven. That's just a different way of looking at it that I've never heard expressed before so I sort of wanted to discuss it with some of my believing friends and possible during Sunday school if I get the chance. Not saying it's right or wrong, I just never heard it put that way (if I am understanding you correctly) and I'm all about learning something new and different and sharing the knowledge.