Inquiring Mind

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
16,038 1 2
Alleybux
My point in providing those passages revolve around its language:

1. Who is the audience?
2. Why is the author giving a warning to the audience regarding staying in the faith?
3. What are the consequences of "Falling away" or being "tangled" again in sins, or continuing to "sin willfully"?

-Again i think the context is plain and the warning is for a specific purpose. If there is no way that a born again believer can fall away from the Lord, then why the warning?

I have to say, as I read those scriptures, it would appear that if one has 'backslidden' they have NO chance of returning to the fold.

I mean read the Hebrews scripture without the commas:

"For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened to renew them again unto repentance."

Really? Can that be true?

If so, how does one know when they have reached this state?

For example, if I knowingly cuss out the customer service rep @ a retail establishment, am I no longer saved? :err:

If I strike my wife in a burst of anger, my salvation is gone? :eek:

I dunno, authentic.

Meeko

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
4,296 3 12
Alleybux
The work that Christ did was one time and one time only....

Romans 6:9-10
For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.

Once we've accepted Christ into our life we don't have to keep asking for salvation. It's a one-time gift. God lifted the pressure and the burden of having to earn salvation, off of us, because He knew that there would never be anything that we could do to save ourselves and receive salvation.

Christ died once for all of us. That also means that only once do we need to accept salvation. Because we are all flesh, we do still sin. But the work of salvation, Christ already took care of that at the cross.

Ephesians 2:8

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.

Vaughn

General Manager
Reaction score
Reactions
5,318 1 2
Alleybux
No, I don't mind answering. At my church, depending on the class, a number of different people can teach the bible classes, either my Pastor or one of the Rev. or Deacons. I'm not sure how long they've all been in the faith, I just know about my Pastor but I know they aren't knew to Christ if that's what you wanted to know. I also listen to different radio ministries and participate in small group studies.

I was asking the questions because I've always heard people say that they are saved once they give their life to Christ. I mean, right then and there as they are breathing, walking and talking (smile). But it sounds like you are saying that even though we may accept Christ, we're not saved until we've finished our race and get to heaven. That's just a different way of looking at it that I've never heard expressed before so I sort of wanted to discuss it with some of my believing friends and possible during Sunday school if I get the chance. Not saying it's right or wrong, I just never heard it put that way (if I am understanding you correctly) and I'm all about learning something new and different and sharing the knowledge.

Lets see if I can better say this,

• We are saved, by the finished work of Calvary by way of Jesus’ propitiatory offering of Himself for our sins
• We are being saved by way of our belief in the Life, Death, Burial & Resurrection. Therefore we obey & trust in God to guide us the rest of our lives.
• We will be ultimately saved with no possible forfeiture of ever being lost, if we holdfast unto our faith;

Hbr 3:6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

There is a continuance that accompanies salvation that a lot of people miss, while they are touting an anything goes attitude that says as long as I believe I can do anything. For them I would suggest that they would only brush up on the sins of the flesh that would exclude them from the very entrance into the kingdom as stated in Romans 1: 26-32; 1 Corinthians 6: 9, 10; Galatians 5: 19-21 & 2 Timothy 3: 1-7.

There are those that are excellent talkers of faith but God is looking for those that are willing to walk this out, while being honest enough that we miss the mark occasionally but not as a habit or lifestyle choice;

1Jo 2:1 ¶ My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

Do New Testament word searches for the following words;
• Believeth
• Continue- all forms of the word
• Endure- all forms of the word
• Overcome
• Save- all forms of the word
• Fight
• Walk

As well as and other word in the bible that would suggest that you would last or weather the storms of life. This is a walk worth earnestly contending for! Because not being a victor in this war will cause you an eternity of pain, in which I’m not willing to participate in.

Let me know if this answer is sufficient enough or not.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,336 45 17
Alleybux
I don't believe in once saved always saved,take a look @ Judas he walked with Yahshua (Jesus), he talked with him, and he was one choosen to follow Yahshua (Jesus),so I'm sure he was save,but the devil entered his heart.I think it's safe to say he lost his salvation

BE BLESSED!!!

Judas wasnt saved. Jesus said that so many times it is always clear in the bible. He walked with Jesus, but that doesnt mean he was saved. The bible warns us about false teacher, preachers and profets who are among you.

john 6:63 Jesus talked to His disciples here 63It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

64But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him.
67Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?

68Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.

69And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

70Jesus answered them, Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil?

71He spake of Judas Iscariot the son of Simon: for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve.

Judas was never saved, Jesus knew he didnt believe on Him.

2 Peter 2

1But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.

there are only two people who satan himself entered and those are judas and the antichrist. and isnt it funny how judas repented of his sins, but still was lost? he is called the son of perdition.

Reaction score
Reactions
3,336 45 17
Alleybux
great topic OP....I've struggled with this since the time i've come to Christ. But at this point, i'm absolutely convinced (Soley based on the Language of Scripture) that it is possible for a born-again believe to lose thier salvation.

Hebrews 6:4-8

4For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost, 5And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come, 6If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

If you read the whole chapter it is talking about that Jesus died once for all. If you sin willfully He cant die for you again, because He already did. It doesnt mean that His grace is not there anymore, but you will get the same grace that was already given.
It would mean that you would crucify Jesus over and over again if you would look for His grace again concerning your salvation. ( i am talking about salvation, not day to day life)
When you were born, you were born once and not go into your mothers womb everytime you did something horrible. A son is always a son. Your child is always your child, whatever you do.

Hebrews 10:26-29

26For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins, 27But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
28He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: 29Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

God always said that you would reap what you ow, If you sin He will chastise you, He wont cast you into hell, if your not obedient if your saved. He will chasten you IN THIS LIFE! David was punished for what he did in this life. It cost him 4 sons! But God didnt damn him to hell for what he did!
2 Peter 2:20

20For if after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein, and overcome, the latter end is worse with them than the beginning. 21For it had been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after they have known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered unto them.

If you know something is wrong and you still do it, the punishment is always greater than when you didnt know that you were wrong. But still in this life. God will Chasten us, He will. No doubt about that.

*I can go on and on, but i think the warning to believers are direct and pretty much self explanatory.

Even Paul talks about that if he would try he couldnt go to hell. I'll look up the text for you

Reaction score
Reactions
3,336 45 17
Alleybux
Hbr 13:5 [Let your] conversation [be] without covetousness; [and be] content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

This is a quote from another scripture since it is said, “he hath said”, this being established we can know that God won’t leave us.

But there are those that leave Him who were in fact not of Him;

1Jo 2:19 They went out from us, but they were not of us; for if they had been of us, they would [no doubt] have continued with us: but [they went out], that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us.

Jud 1:12 ¶ These are spots in your feasts of charity, when they feast with you, feeding themselves without fear: clouds [they are] without water, carried about of winds; trees whose fruit withereth, without fruit, twice dead, plucked up by the roots;

Jud 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

Exactly, they were NEVER saved to begin with!

There are those that have left the faith and don’t know it, how do you know it you might say? They begin to preach another Jesus, which the bible says is not, while not preaching Jesus Christ and Him crucified. So it’s all in the message or lack thereof.

And then there are those that plain and simply stop persevering or enduring sound (healthy) doctrine, as well as those that have been pimped and love not the truth and are willing to ignore the truth of the holy writ. Who in fact would have others do their homework or studies of God’s word for them.

We are not saved until our feet strike Zion, so to speak or until we in fact reach glory, heaven or The Father (His abode). So I’ll leave you with the following verse;

Mat 10:22 And ye shall be hated of all [men] for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.

Matt 10:22 is talking about being physically saved. That is why He tells them to flee. and that is why He's warning them that they will be hated for His name sake. Te once that will make it till Jesus returns, shall be physically saved. It also says that the days will be shortened for the elects sake. It is talking about the great tribulation. Matt 24

You've got to make it to the finish line!!

Jesus did all the work, That is why He died on the eve before the sabbath(feast-day) started there were 2 feast-days and 1 normal sabbath-day as a symbol that Jesus died and did all the work. and nobody was allowed to work on the Sabbaths.

poohdinni

Team Owner
Reaction score
Reactions
25,639 1,466 976
Alleybux
Does anyone have a scripture that says we are to seek salvation over and over again? We have scripture that support the belief that you don't but where is the scripture that supports you are to ask for salvation over and over again? Do we accept Christ over and over every day? Or once we accept him, that's it? I understand repenting for sin but that's different than salvation. Are people giving their life to Christ again and again, each and every time they sin? How does it work, losing your salvation and how can you get it back? Accpeting Christ again? What if you never denied Christ but you simply commited a sin. Is there a need to accept him again, since you never denied Him in the first place?

Man I was asking someone this question,

So you think you gon keep putting Jesus on the cross every week?